I think "Ray of Frost" needs to be toned down or made into a 1st level spell.

The title pretty much says it all.

I believe this spell is a bit too powerful to be a cantrip. Locking creatures down by making their movement a 0 is very good in my opinion. A Wizard could easily spam this on the BBEG while the others pick him off. I would rather see this is a limited effect instead of an at-will one.

I think it should be like this if it's going to be a cantrip:

Ray of Frost: You make a ranged attack against one creature within 100 feet of you. On a hit, the target's speed drops by 5 feet for every three levels of the caster to a maximum of 30 at 16th level.

Or something similar to that.

Discuss.
Mike Mearls too think its a little too good, as he answered on Reddit. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets changed based on feedbacks received about it.

Mike Mearls: There are definitely directions that will change based on the pregens. Ray of frost is a little too good at this stage. Honestly, the goal of the playtest is to generate exactly the sort of feedback you just gave us.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

My initial thought on it was also that it was too good as well. My thought would be that casting Ray of frost repeatedly puts the ability at Disadvantage.

It could either be based on consecutive casts of the spell, or repeated casts at the same target in the same encounter. I think either would hamper it's reliability enough to balance it.
I agree it is far too effective for an at will against singular enemies.  When fighting a mob of orcs it helps here and there but is not a big deal.  I'd think slowed to half movement, add a save, have it do small ammounts of damage but it creates advantage or creates a AC or dex penalty might be more online with an at will.  
I have to agree. My wizard used RoF like crazy. I could at will a magic missile that basically thumped the orc's nose or hit it with RoF and the two fighters smash it to hell! I found myself relying on RoF a lot!
The worst part is that has no size limitations.. i can drop off large flying monsters with just a cantrip!
DM: You see a giant Roc flying towards u
Mage: ray of frost!
Dm: Splat!
ù.ù
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with  using an ability like this to down a flying creature. I'm a big fan of the clever use of abilities, and like to see them rewarded when employed in crafty ways.

An ability that makes one very narrow kind of encounter trivial is one thing, but one that makes EVERY encounter simple definitely needs adjustment.

I also agree about it affecting larger creatures though. I would say that it can affect small and normal creatures, but drops in effectiveness by 50% for each step in size, starting with large.

IE movement is reduced by 50% on large creatures, then reduced by 25% for very large, and after that it simply has no effect.

You could throw in a mechanic to offset levels of penalty if you cast it as a "higher level spell" with one of your limited spell slots. I have no problem with that.
As a cantrip, it should slow the target and then grant Con Save (maybe just DC 10 for cantrip) vs. frozen in place.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Hey folks,

I'll be moving this conversation to D&D Next General Discussion.

Thanks,

Monica
What about for 20hp and under? Sorta like sleep.
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
Maybe just a -10 to movement speed for a round, maybe 15. So really slow creatures are locked down, but quicker ones may still be able to get to you.

At at will slow doesn't seem super powerful, or super useless.
I agree it is pretty powerful for an at-will, especially vs single creatures. You already have to roll a to hit. I would just add a save for creatures over x hp. Then it would be perfect.
The issue is that it makes the wizard give up his whole action in order to maybe deny an enemy his action. It has no effect besides stopping movement, so the spell does nothing other than deny the enemy options. If the enemy is still able to do what he wants at range, then ray of frost does very little (unless the target is very squishy and needs mobility to be a threat). Against normal enemies, it is actually pretty bad. Even if it denies them their whole turn on a hit, it took the wizard's entire turn, and it wasn't even a sure thing.

Against big solo creatures it becomes much stronger, so its usefulness is very dependent on how the DM runs things. In my campaign, its probably about right, because I prefer humanoid enemies who fight in decent size groups. Sometimes it will be very helpful, other times you'll rather spend your actions on more useful spells. However, if your campaign is all about hunting dragons, then its probably very good. Dragons are typically limited in what they can do at range, and the ability to hold them still for multiple turns can make fighting them trivial.
"So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been." - Manwë, High King of the Valar
Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with  using an ability like this to down a flying creature. I'm a big fan of the clever use of abilities, and like to see them rewarded when employed in crafty ways.

Perfect example of something that isn't actually clever after the first time. It's great once, but after that it sucks that every party needs a RoF caster to get easy kills on flyers.

truth/humor
Ed_Warlord, on what it takes to make a thread work: I think for it to be really constructive, everyone would have to be honest with each other, and with themselves.

iserith: The game doesn't profess to be "just like our world." What it is just like is the world of Dungeons & Dragons. Any semblance to reality is purely coincidental.

Areleth: How does this help the problems we have with Fighters? Do you think that every time I thought I was playing D&D what I was actually doing was slamming my head in a car door and that if you just explain how to play without doing that then I'll finally enjoy the game?

TD: That's why they put me on the front of every book. This is the dungeon, and I am the dragon. A word of warning though: I'm totally not a level appropriate encounter.

Am I the only person who gets confused by a ray ofbfrost that doesn't interact with anything betweeen the caster and the target?
make ray of frost have a con save instead of a attack roll.

melee creatures often have a good con to be ale to resist.
range attackers often have a lower con score, but they could still range attack if held in place.
The title pretty much says it all.

I believe this spell is a bit too powerful to be a cantrip. Locking creatures down by making their movement a 0 is very good in my opinion. A Wizard could easily spam this on the BBEG while the others pick him off. I would rather see this is a limited effect instead of an at-will one.

I think it should be like this if it's going to be a cantrip:

Ray of Frost: You make a ranged attack against one creature within 100 feet of you. On a hit, the target's speed drops by 5 feet for every three levels of the caster to a maximum of 30 at 16th level.

Or something similar to that.

Discuss.

I DM for a big group of 8 players. And with 2 wizards, melee monsters are surely dead. The wizards keep the monster frozen in place, while the rest of the party attack with range attacks.

We also think this spell should be changed.

Half speed is a max penalty that it could give.

Or reduce the speed to 10 feet.
I have a hard time judging Cantrips and Orisons or Minor spells until I see how noncasters work.  Especially as it comes to scalability.  I'd hope Minor spells can scale, but melee and ranged weapon attacks would need to scale as well.

I think Ray of Frost is too powerful, even if it requires an attack.  I like that spells are moving to attacks.  It bridges the gap between spellcasters and martial characters.  Wizards stopped caring about BaB once they had spells that didn't require one. 

For a cantrip, I think a Slow or as Berenmir just said, reduce to 10 feet would be cool.  10 feet still lets them move if they have to spend "additional 5 feet on...".

Or reduce the speed to 10 feet.

that would be too much I think, there should be a difference between a dwarf and a wolf in this scenario.

Reduced below 10 feet would be effectively reduces to zero in a Difficult Terrain scenario.

Maybe Slowed is a Condition that drops you to half speed but no slower than 10 feet. 

LoL, I think I just realized why Slowed was 2 squares in 4e.