Momir Vig. Feedback is wanted!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
To begin, I'd like to say this is my favorite deck out of the Generals I play. I play Momir Vig, Simic Visionary and he's proven to fit my play-style to the fullest. But I digress.

The deck plays smoothly, what with all of my cheap creatures. It doesn't have to win with any sort of Infinite combo, but it is a possibility. Other than that, I don't really have much to explain about the deck than that it's obviously a combo style deck (based on the nature of Momir himself) and wins through the beats, eventually overwhelming the board, but keeping a low profile through little weenie creatures that appear to be of little threat. It has the capability to win by infinite turns, - though I dislike this form of winning - or infinite mana into drawing my deck, or into an infinite bounce on my own creatures with Aluren and Cloudstone Curio.

Anyways, I'm looking for some feedback on what I could do to maybe make the deck more competitive for one of my playgroups. I have a budget that's probably under $100 on any single card (except possibly mana drain). And without further adieu...

Commander: Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

2-Drops:
Fauna Shaman
Cloud of Faeries
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Gilded Drake
Elvish Visionary
Snapcaster Mage
Coiling Oracle

3-Drops:
Vendilion Clique
Wood Elves
Noble Benefactor
Yavimaya Elder
Trinket Mage
Fierce Empath
Drift of Phantasms
Eternal Witness
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Wistful Selkie
Shardless Agent

4-Drops:
Phyrexian Metamorph
Solemn Simulacrum
Venser, Shaper Savant
Sakashima the Impostor
Mystic Snake

5-Drops:
Genesis
Acidic Slime

6-8 Drops:
Deadeye Navigator
Primeval Titan
Consecrated Sphinx
Avenger of Zendikar
Craterhoof Behemoth
Tidespout Tyrant

Other Spells:
Noxious Revival
Mystical Tutor
Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Library
Green Sun's Zenith
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Capsize
Voidslime
Hinder
Beast Within
Krosan Grip
Equilibrium
Skyshroud Claim
Fact or Fiction
Rite of Replication
Cryptic Command
Last Word
Aluren
Time Warp
Bribery
Force of Will
Tooth and Nail

Artifacts:
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Lightning Greaves
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Vedalken Shackles
Cloudstone Curio

Planeswalkers:
Garruk Wildspeaker

Land:
Breeding Pool
Tropical Island
Simic Growth Chamber
Flooded Grove
Reflecting Pool
Hinterland Harbor
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn
Seat of the Synod
Tolaria West
11 Island
Tree of Tales
Mosswort Bridge
Gaea's Cradle
8 Forest
Mystifying Maze
Alchemist's Refuge
Reliquary Tower
Strip Mine

There it is. Just let me know if you guys have any questions or comments! And possibly if you want to know more information on how well it plays out or how match-ups go, etc etc.
A few changes I'm thinking about for the list:
I want to cut Kira, Great Glass-Spinner for one of the following:

Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Vedalken Heretic
Cold-Eyed Selkie
Trygon Predator
Phantasmal Image

Need a little help with choosing though :|
I've played with Vedalken heretic and let me tell you it is so underwhelming in EDH. Cold-eyed Selkie is much stronger. 

Phantasmal image is fine except it's super easy to just target it, especially in multiplayer.

So, that being said, I'd choose either Trygon Predator or Thada Adel, Acquisitor. They're the strongest choices. If you need more card draw, play greater good or soul's majesty 
I'd play Greater Good if the power on my creatures was higher but on average, it's around 2. I have only 7 creatures that have power above 4. With another two that are potentially there as well (sakashima and metamorph). That beign said, greater good would be forcing me to discard more than i draw. Soul's Majesty is similar in respect to greater good but the problem again arises that i would pay 5 to draw 1 or 2 cards in the most likely scenario.

I'll most likely test Thada, then see if trygon works any better or to my advantage.

Thanks for the input though! :D
 Halimar Depths great land with a scry ability

other great draw cards espically in blue Brainstorm and Ponder can even look into Preordain and See Beyond and/or Impulse

That's true. the tough part is dropping any spells. I feel that each fo my current spells do as much as humanly posible for their slots. The main thing I'm looking for is ideas on different creatures for the suite depending on their utility - cantrip, control, survivability, etc - and preferably synergystic with Aluren.
For example: Uktabi Orangutan an Viridian Shaman, etc. I just need to know what i should take out.

Come to think of it though, I think i might try Brainstorm in place of Fact or Fiction. Whenever i see it, I feel it's pretty suboptimal as a play in general when I'm usually holding a counter or a creature I'd rather play that turn.
The only reason I feel this way is because a 4 drop like that pulls weight in the sense that it gives me a decent few cards as well as a solid amount of sifting but it continually takes less priority to an actual creature that will give me a quick cantrip or a search, etc.

I guess my question at this point, having made my case is, Brainstorm or Fact or Fiction?
Haze Frog, Chancellor of the Spires, Kederekt Leviathan, and Phyrexian Ingester, while a bit pricey, all have extremely useful ETB effects.  Haze Frog in particular has saved my bacon on a few occassions, as has the Leviathan (goodbye token army!).  If you're planning on abusing ETB effects, I would also recommend Crystal Shard, and possibly Erratic Portal and Sunken Hope

And you can't go wrong with Time Stretch replacing Time Warp.

Also Blatant Thievery.  Alright, I'm done.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Sign In to post comments