Book of vile darkness, kind of underpowered, VERY underpowered. Need help updating stats and DCs

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's the thing, I'm not sure if it's taboo to mention this, but I play pathfinder right now and find that the book of vile darkness is pretty underpowered when weighed against PF heroes. A CR18 vampire minion of some demon/devil lord has 93(95?) HP versus many if not all CR18 monsters in the PF bestiary with 230+ HP. The book of vile darkness was one of the best books I ever read, and prior to pathfinder, the DCs and other stats weren't so bad, but now they're very low.

I can't use the creature as a lower level monster because it's attack bonuses and abilities are still extremely powerful. Can you guys help me out in determining how to remeasure the stats appropriately? The BoVD is perhaps my favorite book and I'd hate to see it go unused.

I want to give my players the chance to raid hell and the abyss frequently if only to go kill demon and devil lords for sport, and when they return to their own plane, get the chance to contend with the followers of the demon lords they either just killed or attacked.

Again, not sure if mentioning that I play pathfinder is taboo around here or not, but definitely a necessary note.
Are you sure the monster isn't just meant to be something of a glass cannon?

Pathfinder characters do seem to be more generally powerful than 3.5th ones, primarily I think due to the more generous starting abilities, and gaining more feats (odds levels rather than 1st + 1/3 levels) - things like the changes to skills help too. However, I can't think of anything which would make them dish out more damage, or warrant monsters getting more health, beyond them rebalancing things for players being a bit tougher.

Just checking some random examples - the Ghoul is slightly tougher (better attacks) but still same HP and CR 1. The Grimlock is the same but gets better HP due to a better HD. The Hippogriff is actually weaker due to less Str and Con. Going up in CR a bit, the Gargoyle does look stronger. However, it's higher HD give it a better BAB too.

Basically, I can't see much of a trend in terms of Pathfinder monsters having more health or higher DCs. It looks like as the monsters get higher in CR, they have been given extra HD to bring them up to par with the more powerful players. However, this would just suggest that using your guy at a lower CR would be just fine. Failing that, perhaps just do the same and add some HD to him. Give him appropriate feats for his HD (with regards to the PF feat rules) and recalculate his HP and things. You can always give him Ability Focus as one of those feats.

If you're updating a vampire for Pathfinder, remember that Pathfinder vampires don't get their class hit dice bumped up to d12s, and all Pathfinder undead get extra hit points from charisma just as living creatures get extra hit points from constitution.

If you're updating a vampire for Pathfinder, remember that Pathfinder vampires don't get their class hit dice bumped up to d12s, and all Pathfinder undead get extra hit points from charisma just as living creatures get extra hit points from constitution.

Heheh, upon going over the vampire's stats again, I noticed the HP gets noticeably better once I increase it appropriately with charisma (though I may have to increase her charisma, the vampire from the PF bestiary has a 26 while this CR 18 one only has 20 (understandable though, given how she was built at the time)).

It seems I will have to update some monsters to be useable, they should certainly get more HD and feats. At lower levels the creatures are about the same but at higher levels there's certainly a noticeable lack in power and survivability.
I think adding the bonus feats and, for undead, the bonus HP should already give them a leg up. At higher levels, the monsters seem to have a couple of extra HD. Chances are, that alone should balance things out, or at least make things appear much more comparable.
Sign In to post comments