I just lost to the Suntail Hawk encounter using Crosswinds

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
And not for lack of trying either

Just wanted to get that out there
Hawks > Drakes.

Just wanted to get that out there

Favorable Winds and any flyers are your friend, while your finisher is Rite of Replication for that challenge. Or so I would think.
That encounter is actually quite difficult for a couple of decks, at least without unlocks.
Suntail Hawk encounter and difficult should not be in the same sentence. It takes 7 turns to kill you unimpeded. I'd hope you could apply some pressure and get them to axe at least some of the birds. I just can't picture any deck that would have a problem with this encounter. Unlocks or not. 
This happened to me once, I think with the same deck actually.

The only real way to excuse it is a mix of bad luck and taking a bad opening hand that you didn't notice was bad or just didn't care ("It's just the hawk encounter, I'll win anyway").

Kraken Hatchling can't block, Skywinder Drake is 3 mana just to trade with a hawk (assuming you don't buff it up), Cancel becomes bad removal, Hydrosurge isn't normally that great but here basically reads "gain 1 life", Recurring Insight is a dead card, Disperse doesn't help much...due to the nature of encounters, some cards just perform way worse than you would expect. And Goliath Sphinx kills hawks all day, but costing 7 mana could take too long to come out to prevent them from swarming you, the guy can only block one creature at a time after all.

None of this changes the fact that losing to the hawks is hilarious though.
You should feel humiliated and embarassed as a Magic player. Tongue Out 

heh 
Suntail Hawk encounter and difficult should not be in the same sentence. It takes 7 turns to kill you unimpeded. I'd hope you could apply some pressure and get them to axe at least some of the birds. I just can't picture any deck that would have a problem with this encounter. Unlocks or not. 

Tried to beat this encounter twice last night with Jace's deck (with only one card unlocked).  Both matches lasted about 10-15 minutes, but I still ended up losing.  Boooo... ;)  Unlucky draws, I guess.  I was up against like 12 hawks with absolutely no board position both times.
This happened to me once, I think with the same deck actually.

The only real way to excuse it is a mix of bad luck and taking a bad opening hand that you didn't notice was bad or just didn't care ("It's just the hawk encounter, I'll win anyway").

Kraken Hatchling can't block, Skywinder Drake is 3 mana just to trade with a hawk (assuming you don't buff it up), Cancel becomes bad removal, Hydrosurge isn't normally that great but here basically reads "gain 1 life", Recurring Insight is a dead card, Disperse doesn't help much...due to the nature of encounters, some cards just perform way worse than you would expect. And Goliath Sphinx kills hawks all day, but costing 7 mana could take too long to come out to prevent them from swarming you, the guy can only block one creature at a time after all.

None of this changes the fact that losing to the hawks is hilarious though.

But Crosswinds has Talrond's Evocation, even 4 copies of it. Making 2 2/2 drakes more than halts any advances the hawk can make on you. Add Favorable Winds in the mix and you can count on the 3 3/1 drakes getting in the action.

Think the part I bolded is where people go wrong. Or they're not good at assessing when they can apply their own pressure. Remember, your life total doesn't care if you end at 1. Swing every time until they get you on a 1 or 2 turn clock. Before you know it all their hawks will be dead from blocking your superior creatures.
lol
You thought this one was difficult with tarlands deck trying doing the one where he uses mass calcify and bloodgasts. OMG that was the most difficult. I had to use a speed deck because Jace and Nerfaox weren't cutting it for me.
I do feel ashamed.  Well, it was really just bad luck / not paying attention to starting hand.  Started with a hand with kraken, fog bank, the 3/1 drake, and the +1/+1 enchantment.  Thought i'd draw into some Talrand's Inovcations but no such luck, got mana flood for half the time, and more krakens & fog banks / useless stuff like Hydrosurge for the rest

If you want to beat the Bloodghast deck just reroll until you get Gravitational Shift. If you love to turn five you win.

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

If you're still trying to play Talrand's deck like a Flying-creature-aggro deck, you're doin' it wrong.
If you love to turn five you win.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk