6/25/2012 Feature Article: "Perilous Realms and More"

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

How infinitely disappointing...how long can you reprint the same boring ass lands...normally I defend R&D to the death, but not this time. This is just laziness.
RIP BoaB, and nice shockland trolling R&D. Oh well I've been thinking of inventing my own BoaB for a while, and this gives me even more reason to do so.
I, for one, love that they're still reprinting the M10 dual lands. Dual lands are very important to deck-building, and by reprinting the same ones every year, it makes their prices affordable and allows consistency from year to year. You'll know you can always count on your good friends the M10 duals.



I love most of these changes. I'm glad BoaB is leaving us; it was most assuredly not living up to the name of the column. I'm glad JVL is still an author; he was skilled at what he did (the only problem was, he wasn't doing what he was supposed to for the column). I'm glad about the Wallpaper change.

The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact that the new flavor column will always focus on a single card each week. My favorite types of flavor articles are world-building stuff, and frankly the Planeswalkers' Guides just aren't frequent enough for me. I'll give it a while and see how they make this work before forming a final judgment, though. Also, I approve of the choice of author!

So excellent work, everyone.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
The lands work, why wouldn't they reprint them?  Sure they need to come up with different things every once in a while but this is a core set and the amazing multi-color lands can be left to the October sets where they can do the most good for the set.

I would also like to express how awesome it is that there is going to be a column devoted to the story of magic as that is what I've enjoyed the most out of savor flavor.

 
Unlike some others I am glad my lands will still work. But what I really wanted to say is that I actually signed up on here just to post that I am very very dissapointed in the loss of building on a budget. I can't afford to play Magic anymore and building on a budget has made me able to afford 2 decks in the past few months that I have fun with and wouldnt have otherwise. Especially with formats like Modern building decks can be very very very expensive or you just lose all the time. It has definitely lost some of my interest in checking the site every day.
I believe this marks the first time Making Magic and House of Cards From the Lab have been on the same day of the week. We're in for Mondays of unprecedented quality.
How sad. I've been watching BoaB slowly tweak according to feedback for the last several months and last week's article in particular was the best that I've seen lately. It's a real bummer to watch a column struggle and then see it bumped off when it appears to have come through many of the difficulties and found footing.
I'm going to take the low-hanging fruit and point out that BoaB failed, in my mind, because the decks were rarely what I consider budget. What does that say about the state of Magic if you cannot build a competitive deck cheaply? This has always been my concern when retaining new players. Once they find out they have to spend over $100 every few months to update their decks to remain competitive, it's easier to quit and pocket that money.

I'm not sure if JVL ever defined what "Budget" meant, leading to some of the issues with the column. I think the forums each week reflected that debate regularly. Previous authors tended to define Budget and stuck to it, and then branched out if they wanted a deck without the restriction.

Another problem with the "Budget" aspect is that once the decklists were posted, they became public knowledge at a highly-trafficed site. The cards can easily go from budget to non-budget status as demand spikes in one day. As an example, look at the decklist from last week. Sorin Markov drastically increased in price and many of the other cards did as well after seeing a steady decline over the past year.

Glad to see JVL try something else, disappointed that the BoaB is just going away because Magic isn't as affordable as it used to be. The main concern I have with a MODO column, however, is its lack of focus due to the unique formats it offers. I mean, there was one Magic: Online column that was previously around...
I'm going to take the low-hanging fruit and point out that BoaB failed, in my mind, because the decks were rarely what I consider budget. What does that say about the state of Magic if you cannot build a competitive deck cheaply? This has always been my concern when retaining new players. Once they find out they have to spend over $100 every few months to update their decks to remain competitive, it's easier to quit and pocket that money.

I'm not sure if JVL ever defined what "Budget" meant, leading to some of the issues with the column. I think the forums each week reflected that debate regularly. Previous authors tended to define Budget and stuck to it, and then branched out if they wanted a deck without the restriction.

Another problem with the "Budget" aspect is that once the decklists were posted, they became public knowledge at a highly-trafficed site. The cards can easily go from budget to non-budget status as demand spikes in one day. As an example, look at the decklist from last week. Sorin Markov drastically increased in price and many of the other cards did as well after seeing a steady decline over the past year.

Glad to see JVL try something else, disappointed that the BoaB is just going away because Magic isn't as affordable as it used to be. The main concern I have with a MODO column, however, is its lack of focus due to the unique formats it offers. I mean, there was one Magic: Online column that was previously around...



100% right, and a point that Wizards glaringly ignores. They like to claim they're "lowering the barrier to entry" by making things simple, while raising the barrier to entry by making more and more of the competitive cards rare or mythic. While I'd like to hope that dumping the Titans might indicate a stop to that trend, I don't believe it for a second. JVL wasn't able to write a budget column because Wizards took Magic away from being a reasonably budgeted game the day they decided to make Mythics.
The lands work, why wouldn't they reprint them?  Sure they need to come up with different things every once in a while but this is a core set and the amazing multi-color lands can be left to the October sets where they can do the most good for the set.

I would also like to express how awesome it is that there is going to be a column devoted to the story of magic as that is what I've enjoyed the most out of savor flavor.

 

Pssst! Pssssst! You should come to the Flavor and Storyline board! We like people that like flavor!

@Chronego: I wouldn't imagine that they'll strictly focus on just one card every single week. That seems ridiculously restrictive. Have faith, it's Jenna Helland. We're in very good hands.


Thiiiiiiis is freeeeeaking sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
RIP BoaB, and nice shockland trolling R&D. Oh well I've been thinking of inventing my own BoaB for a while, and this gives me even more reason to do so.


Shocks are clearly going to be in Return block. I'm not sure why people ever expected a cycle of reprints from Ravnica block to be in the core set rather than in, um, Return to Ravnica.

As for this, about time we went back up to ten columns. Perilous Research doesn't really sound like anything I'd be interested in, but I'm sure someone will enjoy it. BoaB going isn't that much of a shock and ReConstructed keeps a lot of the good points of it anyway.
blah blah metal lyrics
Unlike some others I am glad my lands will still work. But what I really wanted to say is that I actually signed up on here just to post that I am very very dissapointed in the loss of building on a budget. I can't afford to play Magic anymore and building on a budget has made me able to afford 2 decks in the past few months that I have fun with and wouldnt have otherwise. Especially with formats like Modern building decks can be very very very expensive or you just lose all the time. It has definitely lost some of my interest in checking the site every day.

ReConstructed is another deck-building column on this website. It won't always be about Budget, but the author has said that he will accept restrictions on decks. If you have a deck idea, but want to keep it budget, you could send it to him and add a note that you'd like to keep it under $XX.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

Posting an explaination for what is unarguably, hands down, the most important spoiler of the entire set would be exceptionally well mannered. This article is akin to a wife telling her husband that she's pregnant then rambling about her hair. We do care about your hair, but we also care very much about our unborn child.

Posted in big text for big reasons.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Shocks are clearly going to be in Return block. I'm not sure why people ever expected a cycle of reprints from Ravnica block to be in the core set rather than in, um, Return to Ravnica.


Because Return to Ravnica != From the Vault: Ravnica.

For good comparison, the Scars of Mirrodin block had a grand total of seven(?) reprints from the "original"... of varying quality. If shocklands are reprinted in Return to Ravnica, which is increasingly likely imo, it would be extraordinarily cliche and pandering.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
And incredibly popular too.

 
How infinitely disappointing...how long can you reprint the same boring ass lands...normally I defend R&D to the death, but not this time. This is just laziness.



When I was your age, we had 12 years of Brushlands, and by gum, we liked it!

*Spits tobacco into spitoon*    

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

BoaB will be missed Cry Why fix the wheel if it ain't broke?
And incredibly popular too.


Because a return to one of the most popular sets of Magic would be a bore and sell poorly. Putting "good" cards in a set already capped on "good" is poor marketing.

When I was your age, we had 12 years of Brushlands, and by gum, we liked it!

*Spits tobacco into spitoon*


For the record, painlands continue to be fantastic.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
As someone who loved the old Building on a Budget columns but rolled my eyes at $100 decks in the new one, I think the problem is not the writer but the development culture.

By making chase mythic rares that are way more powerful than rares, and making chase rares that are way more powerful than commons and uncommons, the price of tournament-quality cards has been driven up. Commons and uncommons form a large part of contemporary decks, but those decks also need ludicrous rares like Snapcaster Mage and Geist of Saint Traft to stay competative. Cards like that blow stuff like Mystic Retreaval and Latch Seeker out of the water. There's no way a deck with just a few rares can compete.
Because a return to one of the most popular sets of Magic would be a bore and sell poorly. Putting "good" cards in a set already capped on "good" is poor marketing.



And why do you think people are excited about RtR? For Hunted Horror and Infectious Host ? No, it's for the cards people played with then and now. Reprinting cards people expect to be in the set is good marketing.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

And why do you think people are excited about RtR? For Hunted Horror and Infectious Host ? No, it's for the cards people played with then and now. Reprinting cards people expect to be in the set is good marketing.


Did you actually play Ravnica or do you just understand what cards are in it? Ravnica was one of the most well designed, well balanced, fun to play, potential filled, and interesting blocks in the history of Magic: The Gathering. It wasn't simply "the set with those shock-things".

Ravnica without shocklands would have still been Ravnica.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Building on a Budget is one of your most popular columns for a reason.  If you say you wanted to break it up into a kitchen table column and an FNM budget column. Then I'd agree.  But people look for deck lists and cheap ones for fun ideas to start from.

Be really careful with the price of cards.  It is a sensitive issue, most people who play are on abudget of some sort.  I've said for years to reduce the rarityoff dual color land.  I think it would be good for the community.  People hate to spend considerable money on land that produces two colors.   Leave the expensive lands to be the Mutavaults and the Tectonic Edges. 
I was just about to completely quit reading DailyMTG, but having a column by Jenna Helland gives me at least one reason to stick around  Between that and the wallpaper, I'll probably pretty much check only on Wednesdays, maybe Mondays occasionally; no other day has any columns I care about anymore.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
It's good that they reprinted the M10 dual lands. They're basically the only budget-friendly thing that Wizards does anymore.

Otherwise, I like the changes. I think BoaB's retirement is arguable, but I've never liked the competitive focus it got (which was also ludicrous since there's almost no way to be competitive on a budget these days).
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I was expecting to see the M10 duals again, to be honest. There's a good chance the Watery Grave shocklands will be back in Return to Ravnica, and given that RtR is in all likelihood going to be a set that pushes multicolor, having two very good dual-land cycles going is the right move.

As for the column changes, my comments:

1) Having the new Magic Online metagame-focused column on the same day as Top Decks, which is also rather metagame-focused, seems a little overkill! I'd have been tempted to leave JvL on Wednesdays with his new column just to spread things around a lot... as I'm not much of a tournament player these days either online or off, I'm going to be spoiled with two articles I like on Monday and two I don't hugely care about on Thursdays!

2) I'll miss BoaB as it really has been a great column in the last few weeks. But I totally see the point that it's really hard to focus properly, as everyone's idea of budget (anywhere between $5 and $100), and what they're then expecting from the deck (being competitive at FNM, dominating an FnM, beating their casual play group, being fun on Magic Online, winning Online events....) means that no matter how good the articles are a significant proportion of the audience isn't going to like it. 

3) I'll wait and see on the flavor column. That slot has always been hit and miss for me, some articles I've enjoyed, some I've found fairly dull. I'm glad to see that kind of stuff back, I'll see how I like it! 
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander

Continuity of the Core Set duals is good. I like the Glacial Fortress cycle, they're new-player-friendly and good in tournaments, and being continually reprinted means we can keep using the ones we've got.


Duals with proper dual land types are absolutely certain to be in Return to Ravnica (see M13's Farseek, Liliana and Zac's comments about her, etc). But NOTE that the lands with basic land types are NOT yet guaranteed to be the Ravnica shocklands. That's certainly a possibility, but there are many other options, from tweaks on the shockland formula at rare down as far as Coastal Towers with basic land types at uncommon.

Boab has been problematic for a long time, and torn between at least two audience segments, so I can see why you're retiring it. 


The new column lineup means Mondays are by far the best day of the week. (Although do mind that Noel stays Johnny. His article last week was pretty straightforward Timmyish decks.) Perilous Research I'll give a try but probably skip over.


However, the Uncharted Realms I'm looking forward to a lot. Jenna's good, and it'll be great to have some flavour content on the mothership again.

I am glad that they are retireing BoaB.  The fact of the matter is that they put a Spike to try and write what was a Timmy column with the previous author.  Budget and Spike don't jive real well unless there are only Spikes reading the column.

I am also really glad that the M10 duels are being reprinted.  There is really no reason to make functional reprints of them when the originals work just fine.  While I would like the painlands for the original duels I am perfectly happy with what we got.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I admit that I haven't been reading BoaB recently; it's just not something I'm interested in at the moment.

I think canceling it probably was the right way to go.  I agree that there's been a lot of historic unhappiness about it, and it seems like it always makes some part of the audience cranky.  Better to put resources towards a column that makes a solid part of the audience happy, than keep failing at pleasing all of the people all of the time.

I'm more interested in what the MTGO column will be.  I think this idea has been tried once or twice before, and never really got off the ground.  I'm hoping it can build a strong audience this time.

And why do you think people are excited about RtR? For Hunted Horror and Infectious Host ? No, it's for the cards people played with then and now. Reprinting cards people expect to be in the set is good marketing.


Did you actually play Ravnica or do you just understand what cards are in it? Ravnica was one of the most well designed, well balanced, fun to play, potential filled, and interesting blocks in the history of Magic: The Gathering. It wasn't simply "the set with those shock-things".

Ravnica without shocklands would have still been Ravnica.



Indeed.  If anything, I think of Ravnica as the set with the bouncelands - to me (as a Pauper player at the time) those were the real innovation.  Ravnica did so much for Pauper at the time, adding a lot of solid multicolored options as well.
I loathe that the BoaB column was pulled. The deck buidling advice was amazing.

Often enough the deck built was one of my 'one day I'll build around X card' ideas floating in the back of my mind.

While I didn't mind the other writes, JVL was in it to win it. Opening up deck designs to not just win some matches, but outright win tourneyments for a low cost alternative to the current meta game crop.  Reasoning behind card choices given to provide insight to deck design.

Ever since the Wizards landing page was redesigned, I've hated coming here to read an article.  But on Wednesdays I would always come here just to read his BoaB article.  At worst the BoaB was a Building Rogue instead of Building on Budget.  But frankly, the whole idea of collectibles and budget are at odds with each other. 

I will miss it.
    I can agree with people who are saying that it is a good thing that they are reprinting the M10 duels. At this point they are going to be very cheap to pick up, and the ones we have been using won't become outdated. However, I am still extremely disappointed, and maybe it's because of all the hype surrounding the shock lands, but still very disappointed. First of all, they could have reprinted the same lands, just with new art and I would have accepted that as a comprimise, but as a collector I can't help but feel a bit cheated. Lands are my favourite thing in Magic, and my favourite cards to collect and now I have to wait until RTR and, who knows, maybe ill be disappointed again. (#firstworldproblems #spoiledbratiknow)

   They could have done literally anything and with the popularity of Magic nowadays and with all the FNM and prerelease and drafts and sealeds going on, anyone who is an active member of the magic community could trade/buy/pick-up a new cycle of lands very easily. Not to mention all the Timmy's out there going "UGH! My rare was a land what a piece of junk!"

  

Zero fear about these changes, only excitement. The new flavor article sounds great, I stopped reading JVL's building on a budget when I realised that the majority of his game reports were either faked or chistmas-land scenarios. If I wanted to read about bad decksin Chistmas-land, I'd read a Mike Flores article.

And to the people who are complaining about M13 Zen lands: Get over yourselves. The primary point of the Core Sets is to be something with the lowest barrier of entry of any set, so yeah they're going to have the most simple, while being the most effective, non-basic lands. If you seriously thought they were going to print the Shock Lands in a non-expert set, you were fooling yourself. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm sad to see Boab go. What I loved about JVL's style was that he focused more on interesting and powerful card interactions, whereas other deckbuilders simply mash together the strongest (and most expensive) cards in standard.

If there's one column i wouldn't mind saying goodbye to, it's mike flores' top decks. I hate his sensationalist style of writing and how he can start frothing at the mouth after seeing a deck with 19 lands. Plus he's got no flow at all. Just try reading his column out loud to yourself, it's ridiculous
Zero fear about these changes, only excitement. The new flavor article sounds great, I stopped reading JVL's building on a budget when I realised that the majority of his game reports were either faked or chistmas-land scenarios. If I wanted to read about bad decksin Chistmas-land, I'd read a Mike Flores article.

And to the people who are complaining about M13 Zen lands: Get over yourselves. The primary point of the Core Sets is to be something with the lowest barrier of entry of any set, so yeah they're going to have the most simple, while being the most effective, non-basic lands. If you seriously thought they were going to print the Shock Lands in a non-expert set, you were fooling yourself. 


The thing is: if youre a new player you DONT want to open a dual land in your rare slot. They could easily put dual land in uncommon to stop this, and by doing it, they make fixing mana cheaper.

  • A new column with a new author

  • A new column with an old author, retiring the old column

  • A new day for a column and author

  • A new author


Two new authors are mentioned in the changes that are coming up. Jenna Helland is introduced in the article. Who is the second author?
I'm surprised how excited I am about the announcement of Uncharted Realms.  The flavor articles on DailyMTG.com have often been my favorite part of the site, and the separation of Savor the Flavor and Uncharted Realms is very intriguing.

I've always followed the books that were released alongside the Magic sets, and their quality has been...shaky, at best.  It leaves me wanting more, story-wise.  I sincerely hope this new column can help in that regard.

Looking forward to it. 
I'm glad that JvL will continue to write, with a new column.  However, like Mazca, I don't think it's a good idea to put Perilous Research and Top Decks on the same day.  Why not have Uncharted Realms on Thursday, and keep JvL on Wednesday with Perilous Research?
Loved the Building on a Budget columns (both before and after JvL started writing them), but my interest in an online metagame article is a big pile of meh.

But from the article, it seemed like they'd rather have everyone meh then a lot of people liking it and a lot of people disliking it. 
Definitely looking forward to Uncharted Realms, but definitely going to miss BoaB. I'm glad, however that gone with BoaB will be the endless whining that dominated the comments on the articles.

I'm really liking ReConstructed and I wonder if having a once a month budget theme might help fill in the gap left by BoaB. Just a thought. 
It's good that they reprinted the M10 dual lands. They're basically the only budget-friendly thing that Wizards does anymore.



While I'm glad they're reprinting them, since there isn't a need to somehow come up with a new set of mana fixing land and reprints might drive the price down a little, these things aren't budget. They cost at least $3 per copy. Terramorphic Expanse is the real budget mana-fixing core set land. At $.25, you can put a full playset of expanses for three decks for the price of just one Glacial Fortress.

I hope they reprint the guild bounce lands in Return to Ravnica. The card advantage they provide is pretty powerful, and means that they aren't just plain weaker than the rare fixers. Ravnica was the first time I actually had access to mana fixing that wasn't Chromatic Sphere and it was fantastic.
I hope they reprint the guild bounce lands in Return to Ravnica. The card advantage they provide is pretty powerful, and means that they aren't just plain weaker than the rare fixers. Ravnica was the first time I actually had access to mana fixing that wasn't Chromatic Sphere and it was fantastic.

They've said somewhere (I think in some Latest Developments column) that the bounce lands were bad for Limited. So they're not going to reprint them.

I know, I know, that's not cool. But this is the world in which we live, now. Limited trumps Pauper and budget friendliness.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Looks like I'll just be regularly tuning in on Tuesdays from now on.
Deck blog: http://alurenrecycle.blogspot.com/ http://gureiseion.tumblr.com/