6/25/2012 MM: "Core, the Merrier"

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

One great way to do this was to choose an old mechanic each year to bring back for a one-year stint. Magic 2011 brought back scry from Future Sight in the Time Spiral block. Magic 2012 brought back bloodthirst from Guildpact in the Ravnica block. Magic 2013 brings back exalted from Shards of Alara block.

Poor Fifth Dawn; everyone tried to forget you ever existed. 
57193048 wrote:
srs rls mgr is srs
57125208 wrote:
"If you're having defense problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 soldiers but they're just 1/1."
Whoo, a card that's exciting because they shaved off the cost! That's great design, right there.

Oh wait, I shouldn't be thanking design at all. Thank you Development!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
This is to Dragons as Baneslayer is to Angels? Somehow I'm disappointed.
We'd already seen this card, and the blue enchantment he mentioned as well. That's not so unusual, but these weren't unofficial leaks, they were on the Wizards-run Magic: The Gathering Facebook page. Miscommunication?
blah blah metal lyrics
I'm not that impressed by the red dragon.  Is it a good card?  Yeah.  Is it "a Dragon that was to Dragons what Baneslayer Angel was to Angels"?  Not really.  If they couldn't answer it, Baneslayer usually just straight up won you the game.  Some decks just rolled over and died to a resolved Baneslayer.  If they can't answer this, it...deals them five damage?  And kills their flying 1/1 tokens?  That's cool, I guess.

Honestly though, I see this dragon more as a "Oh no!  Lingering Souls is way too powerful!  Quick, let's make a hoser and put it in the next core set!"  Color me unimpressed by R&D/Development's attempt to correct their mistake.
We'd already seen this card, and the blue enchantment he mentioned as well. That's not so unusual, but these weren't unofficial leaks, they were on the Wizards-run Magic: The Gathering Facebook page. Miscommunication?

I'd say it's due to a lack of Omniscience on their behalf.
Maro answered a question about Omniscience on Tumblr last week too, so he must have known it had been officially revealed. I'm sure he'd already written this article by then, but even so, you'd think someone would have noticed the problem.
blah blah metal lyrics
The replacements for the departing titans are a bit dissappointing, green got the worst part of it. The titans were a staple in any deck any color they may be or found a niche in any arche type. Some of the cards that are brought in to replace the titans may be usable others well will be gathering dusts in bins someplace. Frankly my expectations for the great tradition of the core sets came to a halt for this cycle.
Green got Elderscale Wurm. Surprised Tough luck green I guess you had it coming after 2 great years with Primeval Titan.

Exalted is "dripping with flavor"?

Not only is "dripping with flavor" a phrase that has no right to be a cliche, Exalted falls more into "I guess I could justify it if I had to".  It was a reasonable fit for Bant culture given the "fight via champions" backstory.  But stretching to a core set and why Servant of Nefarox is a 4/2 when attacking alone is pretty sketchy.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

That dragon is very underwhelming. By no means is it a bad card, but I was expecting something after that lead in. To me it seems like an improved Volcanic Dragon. Yawn.
One great way to do this was to choose an old mechanic each year to bring back for a one-year stint. Magic 2011 brought back scry from Future Sight in the Time Spiral block. Magic 2012 brought back bloodthirst from Guildpact in the Ravnica block. Magic 2013 brings back exalted from Shards of Alara block.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Yawn. Another set, another mythic rare that's just an uncommon with part of its mana cost missing.

It's ability isn't even interesting.

Boy do I feel like a chump for picking up some Volcanic Dragons last year though. Here I was thinking that a 4/4 hasty flier for six mana was weak, but usable. Nope. I can either shell out $6 apiece (or however much this piece of garbage is going to cost) to play a fair game or just accept that if my opponent spends more money than me, they're going to win more often than not.

I was thinking of buying some cards from magic 2013, but I really don't want to encourge this kind of behavior.

Gosh, I can't wait to see what cool stuff they'll come up with in Return to Ravnica. A Watchwolf that costs 1 mana? Ghost Counsil with Lifelink for 3?

Meet the new titans, same as the old titans.
I can either shell out $6 apiece (or however much this piece of garbage is going to cost) to play a fair game or just accept that if my opponent spends more money than me, they're going to win more often than not.

$14.99+
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Why exalted? The mechanic was created by 
Brian Tinsman for the Bant sub-design team. (Brian,Ken Nagle, and myself). Doug and his team felt like exalted did exactly what you wanted for a core returning mechanic: it dripped flavor, was easy to grasp mechanically, and played well.

I had to pause there, as others have, because I honestly don't quite understand the flavor of exalted... and that's never a good sign. I guess, an exalted creature is one that exalts another (or itself)? So it strongly believes in an individual, truly raises it up to a grand level with its inspiration or devotion. And for some reason in MtG the indivdual that deserves this adjective is one who has the courage to attack alone, knowing it's supporters have his back. Is that it?
One great way to do this was to choose an old mechanic each year to bring back for a one-year stint. 
Magic 2011 brought back scry from Future Sight in the Time Spiral block. Magic 2012 brought back bloodthirst from Guildpact in the Ravnica block. Magic 2013 brings back exalted from Shards of Alara block.

It's a great idea that is not executed to its full extent, and this is a problem with all sets. That, the mechanic's support vanishes once the block is over. Once Scars hit the fan, infect was relatively done and buried. It's way more obvious with core sets when you get inspired to go into the illusion archetype... and never see another illusion in standard.

This is a problem, although, not one entirely unaddressed. You guys know about this problem. You don't fix it, though. Your solution is to poke the theme, nudge it a bit in upcoming sets. Try to find some synergy between the new and the old, the pump spells that benefit Soulbond guys benefit infect guys, and the blue control pieces that benefit spirits have some synergy with illusions. But this is a cop-out. It's not enough, and you know it.

So here's the plan. You know how you set aside a section for each idea in a set? Cut those back a little, and put in a small section for each other identify in standard. Make your players happy by giving them what they want. I'm not saying to reprint the mechanic every set, I understand it's complicated to the players to have to keep up with all of it. I'm saying do what you are doing on a larger scale. Make it more noticeable, not a whimper.

Here's some examples: If your previous set had werewolves, make sure cards in your next set with their colors have some flash (and benefit to aggro) or prevent the opponent from playing a spell somehow for a turn. If your previous set had infect, make sure in the next set there are interesting pump spell options and useful utility spells for having more access to the few infect creatures you can technically run. If your set contains exalted, make sure in the next set there's a quota filled for good support when a creature attacks alone and options to protect your field of supporters.

I know it's probably too late for exalted to be saved from dying the awful death of having NO representation in standard, but for pete's sake somebody solve this issue so you can stop disappointing so many players who buy into your pitches and promises and then once the money is taken given a faulty phone number. 
"Dripping with flavour" is one of those phrases ("stumbled across" is another, along with its variants) that MaRo uses (a) way too much and (b) sometimes inappropriately.

And, my sense of things is that maybe this Dragon read better before Development got to it. If its triggered ability read something like "5 damage to target player and each creature that player controls", that would live up to MaRo's boasting - but might be too good, even at Mythic, when attached to a 5/5 hasty evasive body. 1 to each flying creature, even if you throw in scaring them out of the way to get a free shot in, just doesn't feel mythic. Maybe as an activated, Firebreathing-like, ability.

I can only assume WotC's internal playtesting has led them to conclude that this is a card that plays more dominantly than it reads, because he seems way too certain of its awesomeness relative to the first impression it's making.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Whoo, a card that's exciting because they shaved off the cost! That's great design, right there.

Oh wait, I shouldn't be thanking design at all. Thank you Development!

This, a million times.

I also find it very inelegant that it's so obvious this card is meant to fight 1/1 spirit tokens.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Really wish this had costed 6, if only to keep games it shows up in slightly more interesting. Though I guess fun design was out of the question when baneslayer became the inspiration. But at least the titans are gone.
Yawn. Another set, another mythic rare that's just an uncommon with part of its mana cost missing.

It's ability isn't even interesting.

Boy do I feel like a chump for picking up some Volcanic Dragons last year though. Here I was thinking that a 4/4 hasty flier for six mana was weak, but usable. Nope. I can either shell out $6 apiece (or however much this piece of garbage is going to cost) to play a fair game or just accept that if my opponent spends more money than me, they're going to win more often than not.

I was thinking of buying some cards from magic 2013, but I really don't want to encourge this kind of behavior.

Gosh, I can't wait to see what cool stuff they'll come up with in Return to Ravnica. A Watchwolf that costs 1 mana? Ghost Counsil with Lifelink for 3?

Meet the new titans, same as the old titans.

That's your problem for thinking that Volcanic Dragon is a Constructed playable card. I am guessing you haven't been playing Magic (competitively) for very long. We all go through that stage.

Large creatures are naturally more powerful in Limited than in Constructed, so we need to design some for each format. If all large creatures were designed to be playable in Constructed then they'd all have to be rare and mythic to stop them from ruining Limited games. If all large creatures were designed to be balanced in Limited, then none of them would be good enough for Constructed and you'd have to either play weenie aggro or control all the time.
I'm surprised that so many people are bemoaning Thundermaw Hellkite. After years of whining that most (mono-red) dragons were jank, it's nice to get a good mono-red dragon.

It's even nicer when it has such good flavor, especially compared to Thundermare, its obvious inspiration (which was just kinda nonsensical); when it appears, it makes a storm that kills little creatures with lightning and buffets bigger ones with wind (tapping them down).  
The legendary creatures each hail from a different plane.

Apparently Ravnica and Ravnica are different planes.  Krenko and Yeva say Hi.

The rings are each from a different location on the plane of Shadalar.

Wait, what?  None of these names appears in the Microprose game which is the original source of Shandalar.  The names Thune and Xathrid and Kalonia are all from M10, and the other two we've never heard before.  Then there's Talrand and the two Planechase planes that say Shandalar on them, none of which have anything to do with Azaar the lichlord or Arzakon the planeswalker or Whim the blue dragon or any of the other things you saw in the Shandalar game.  Where exactly are you getting this information, Maro?  Whoever told you these names are Shandalar didn't do the research.  But then, that's pretty standard by now; you've got a pretty well-proven track record of refusing to pay attention to your own history.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Yes, this is definitely no BSAngel, and thank god. We don't need another one of those. You have to understand, BSAngel is a card that represents an angel that severely pushes the curve of angel into an unobtainabley zone of "so good if you're running this color it should be considered." And it was true, it was an option for any white deck that got to five mana on a regular basis. Most relevant is the fact that it was almost everything a generic one could be, all at once. It's exactly what we don't need, creatures that are everything they could be at once.

Also, I'm glad titans are finally on their way out, they represent the same problem. They've warped the format for long enough, it's time to stop competing with them and trying to out-do them. You know those $0.50 Soul of the Harvest and Harvester of Souls? Those are examples of titans done right, and those are made irrelevant by the titans' existence, but one day soon will see top tables, possibly often if they have no challengers at the 6 drop slot.

I'd like to take a moment here and pay my Internet respects to Fifth Dawn, that sad sad little collection of cardboard, whose greatest achievement has been hijacked by Future Sight.

I'm not that impressed by the red dragon.  Is it a good card?  Yeah.  Is it "a Dragon that was to Dragons what Baneslayer Angel was to Angels"?  Not really.  If they couldn't answer it, Baneslayer usually just straight up won you the game.  Some decks just rolled over and died to a resolved Baneslayer.  If they can't answer this, it...deals them five damage?  And kills their flying 1/1 tokens?  That's cool, I guess.

Honestly though, I see this dragon more as a "Oh no!  Lingering Souls is way too powerful!  Quick, let's make a hoser and put it in the next core set!"  Color me unimpressed by R&D/Development's attempt to correct their mistake.

I'd say you should be happy this is not the Dragon equivalent of Baneslayer Angel. Baneslayer Angel, if anything, made me hate angels. This card is actually okay.

Why exalted? The mechanic was created by 
Brian Tinsman for the Bant sub-design team. (Brian,Ken Nagle, and myself). Doug and his team felt like exalted did exactly what you wanted for a core returning mechanic: it dripped flavor, was easy to grasp mechanically, and played well.

I had to pause there, as others have, because I honestly don't quite understand the flavor of exalted... and that's never a good sign. I guess, an exalted creature is one that exalts another (or itself)? So it strongly believes in an individual, truly raises it up to a grand level with its inspiration or devotion. And for some reason in MtG the indivdual that deserves this adjective is one who has the courage to attack alone, knowing it's supporters have his back. Is that it?

The problem I have with Exalted is that the term is just not really correct. An exalted person is a person who is exalted by others. In general, creatures with exalted exalt other creatures as well as being exalted by themselves. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm surprised that so many people are bemoaning Thundermaw Hellkite. After years of whining that most (mono-red) dragons were jank, it's nice to get a good mono-red dragon.

It's even nicer when it has such good flavor, especially compared to Thundermare, its obvious inspiration (which was just kinda nonsensical); when it appears, it makes a storm that kills little creatures with lightning and buffets bigger ones with wind (tapping them down).  

Yeah, I mainly like this card because of the Thundermare reference as well.

76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
One great way to do this was to choose an old mechanic each year to bring back for a one-year stint. 
Magic 2011 brought back scry from Future Sight in the Time Spiral block. Magic 2012 brought back bloodthirst from Guildpact in the Ravnica block. Magic 2013 brings back exalted from Shards of Alara block.

It's a great idea that is not executed to its full extent, and this is a problem with all sets. That, the mechanic's support vanishes once the block is over. 
This.  And, as you say, it's not especially hard to solve just by making the "new" core set mechanic a tertiary effect in the next set.  I was very surprised this didn't happen with Bloodthirst, especially when we already knew Innistrad was going to be about creatures that would seem to have an automatic thematic fit with the mechanic.  It might even provide the chance for a cheeky preview!  
I can only presume that it has something to do with design/development cycles and timing, but it strikes me that this is exactly what the whole NWO is all about, and it still doesn't seem to have happened.  If they want Magic to feel like a cohesive whole, then looking forwards (by looking backward!) is surely a part of that.

I'd like to take a moment here and pay my Internet respects to Fifth Dawn, that sad sad little collection of cardboard, whose greatest achievement has been hijacked by Future Sight.

I'll never forget Fifth Dawn. While I'd been playing for a while before it, the Fifth Dawn prerelease was the first actual tournament I went to.

I went 0-7, including losing to a Door to Nothingness. You don't forget that kind of pain!

Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
Wait, Elderscale Wurm is part of the cycle?  Really?

Wasn't green supposed to have the best creatures, not the worst? 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Not me, I loved fifth dawn - Darksteel was the set in that block which I thought was lacking.  5D was where we finally got to see the Sylvok, I loved it for that as well as for the color-based equipment cycle (aside from Cranial Plating being absurdly overpowered, the concept at least was neat and I play Horned Helm and Neurok Stealthsuit whenever I can).

The problem I have with Exalted is that the term is just not really correct. An exalted person is a person who is exalted by others. In general, creatures with exalted exalt other creatures as well as being exalted by themselves. That just doesn't make sense.

This.  The mechanic should have been called "honor" or "faithfulness" or something, representing the idea that your champion is stronger because his people believe in him and have pure souls.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I find the whole "Goal 8: Add a cycle of Mythic Rare Iconics" to be entirely laughable.
MaRo calls them a cycle "a little looser than the Titans"... A LITTLE looser? Those 5 mythics have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I actually can't find one common thread in the lot, one of them is even a reprint! If the cycle is just "a collection of in-your-face Mythics", you could just as easily call Serra Avatar part of the cycle, or Worldfire, or MOST MYTHICS EVER PRINTED could be considered part of this cycle.
Sometimes MaRo thinks we'll take his word for literally anything even if it's not true. You didn't REPLACE the titans with this new "cycle". You just cut the titans and designed 5 unrelated mythics. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to act like they're part of some awesome cycle that litarally no one could identify.
Huh, I thought Thundermaw Hellkite looked pretty awesome. Not sure why everyone's so underwhelmed. But I saw it last week, along with "the blue enchantment" (Omniscience). Wizards, you should really be more on top of things with the previews. It's pretty embarassing when the super ultra sweet preview card on the first day of preview week that Maro spends half the article building up to... has already been spoiled. Good job. And I agree that while Exalted is a sweet mechanic, it has to be one of the most awkwardly named and least resonant mechanics ever.
I just can't see how is this dragon the Baneslayer Angel of dragons. Seriously a BSAngel is scary, you see it and you start praying for something to destroy it.

This thing, this... papagayo del infierno boca de trueno (That would be a literal translation of the name) is a one trick pony. It comes, it taps (once) and attacks. And that's it. after that it's just a 5/5 flying fatty. No abilities. No nothing. it just flies. and has a nice art. that's it.

Even a 0/1 flying ornithopter can stop the thundermaw cold in its tracks

How is this supposed to be scary for the other player?  
It's a great idea that is not executed to its full extent, and this is a problem with all sets. That, the mechanic's support vanishes once the block is over. 

This. ...I can only presume that it has something to do with design/development cycles and timing, but it strikes me that this is exactly what the whole NWO is all about, and it still doesn't seem to have happened.  If they want Magic to feel like a cohesive whole, then looking forwards (by looking backward!) is surely a part of that.

NWO - New World Order - in Magic: The Gathering design doesn't support what you are talking about. Mark Rosewater has mentioned in many, many, many different avenues (for example, this article as well, and also numerous times on his tumblr) that NWO is about limiting complexity creep by limiting the complexity of common rarity cards in sets. Since it's about limiting complexity at common, NWO disagrees with you asking for support for the previous set's mechanic at common while also supporting that set's own mechanics at common, as that would be more complexity than is allowed by the NWO system; certainly having the previous set's mechanic as another mechanic in the next set violates this principle. You're correct that providing support for the previous set's mechanic is a good idea, but NWO doesn't support your idea at all, which makes me think that you number among the many Magic players that seem to have the wrong idea of what NWO is.

Personally, I think everyone is considering this problem worse than it is. Only so much support for the mechanic(s) of a previous set can be in the next set, as while those sets will be in Standard together for a little bit, all of those support cards then seem weird in the next Standard when that previous set rotates. Yes, some support cards are good, but too much is just so obvious as to be silly. Great design is subtle; asking for the same amount of slots for support for the previous set's mechanic as would be given for the set's other goals is just wrong. To ask for that much support for the previous set's mechanic isn't asking for cohesiveness in Standard, it's asking for R&D to build your decks for you; you build decks out of the cards they design, and I've always felt that players asking R&D to design cards for the deck's players have built is just begging to have the silver spoon handed to you.

Again: A handful of support cards in the next set to produce cohesiveness across disparate sets is a noble request to make of WotC. Asking for a whole bunch of cards in the next set to fill that role is just silly for a bunch of reasons. And none of this has anything to do with NWO.
Really wish this had costed 6, if only to keep games it shows up in slightly more interesting. Though I guess fun design was out of the question when baneslayer became the inspiration. But at least the titans are gone.

More and more I begin to suspect this core set will be uninspiring, and leave this to be known as The Year Titans Were Finally Gone.
THUNDERMAW HELLKITE.
Journal entry #147.
Thursday, March 21st.

I witnessed something today that I fear may cast me out as the laughing stock of society. Honestly, I'm not sure that I can believe it myself. I keep telling myself there must have been something else at play, something that my senses could not zero in on, but strangely, I cannot take comfort in believing the unseen. I only know what I saw and what I saw is hard to believe.

I was tending my sheep on a day given by the gods themselves. Clear skies and a cool breeze (just enough to keep the sweat off my brow) left my work easy to attend to and admittedly, even left it enjoyable. Not only were the sheep behaving, but also were my kids! It truly was an amazing start to my day.

It was mid-day when I first heard the crackle of thunder. It sounded odd.. sounded.. forced. It was as if someone - or some THING - was deliberatly attempting to disrupt the day set forth by the gods. The second crack of forced thunder made me realize that they were succeeding in triumphing the gods! Although the skies were clear and the breeze remained unchanged, something in the air was not right. I rushed the family inside and barred the doors and all but one window shut. It wasn't long before the sky darkened and lightning arced the skies. 

Forced thunder continued to crack the skies. I couldn't help but think that the sky itself was breaking apart and falling to the earth. The clouds darkened the skies to a shade of darkness that can only be imagined. The lightning struck down everything from the skies. Griffins, our sacred guardians, fell to the earth. I feared this would allow the drakes to ravage our villiage, but they too were cast down from the lightnking. Many of the weaker creatures simply perished. I saw, in the distance, a shadowy figure. I watched and waited for it to get cast aside like the others but continued to fly through the storm. As the shadow got closer, I could see that this beast was not merely dodging the lightning, but that the lightnint itself was staying out if ITS way! And each flap of its wings cracked the sky with that forced thunderous roar that I had been hearing. This is when I felt my life would end. As the beast got closer, I held my family tighter. I closed my eyes and winced my face preparing for the house to cave in.. but it didn't happen. My face grew tired of holding its muscles in place and when I finally relaxed, my eyes opened without my knowing. I could see sunlight cast under the doors and through the window. I looked outside and saw this beast - in all its glory - standing out in MY field. it appeared frightened?! It was staring in my direction and I could only assume that a more ferocious beast rest outside my other window. I rushed over to the other side of the house to look outside. I saw nothing. What could have caused this beast to simply stop its flight, land in the middle of the field, and cower like a mut who just crapped on the carpet?

After what felt like hours, and since the beast still remained petrified, I ventured outside to get a better look. Looking up at the skies, you would have no idea that dead and/or crippled griffin and drake littered the streets. The sky was again looking like a gift from the gods. For a moment, I had completely forgotten that a beast of immense powere was sitting on my field scared of something even more frightening than itself. As I stepped over a griffin's lost wing, I kept my eyes glued to the beast. To my surprise, the  beast didn't even acknowledge my pressence. Its gaze was glued to whatever lay beyond the far side of my house. I turn around slowly as to not make any sudden movements. Again, I still see nothing - just a small bird sitting on my roof. 

That's when it hit me. Dead/crippled griffin, drakes, and birds of all sizes litter the roads. Yet this bird roosts unharmed. 

This dragon of immense power, a dragon able to conjur up storms against the will of the gods, is afraid to push on farther because of this single bird. After a moment, the bird stretches his wings ans stands up. The dragon raises its head. If this beast's instincts are in fight or flight mode, it's definitely prepared for flight. The bird again roosts back in its nest and the dragon slowly raises up. It takes to the skies in the exact direction from which it came - thunder in lightning in tow. 

I later went to get a better look at the bird. I discovered it was a Freewind Falcon.

X end X

Great design is subtle; asking for the same amount of slots for support for the previous set's mechanic as would be given for the set's other goals is just wrong. To ask for that much support for the previous set's mechanic isn't asking for cohesiveness in Standard, it's asking for R&D to build your decks for you; you build decks out of the cards they design, and I've always felt that players asking R&D to design cards for the deck's players have built is just begging to have the silver spoon handed to you.

It's hard to build a deck with only 8 competitive cards that are in your colors (Allies).
THUNDERMAW HELLKITE.
Journal entry #147.
Thursday, March 21st.

I witnessed something today...... 

Post of the week.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Great story, Smauls (-:
Unfortunately, a Thundermaw Hellkite will tap a Freewind Falcon when it enters the battlefield. (The Falcon won't die though and will be able to permablock the hellkite from next turn onwards). 
I feel like the "new" Core Sets have jumped the shark. Why?

With the place Magic is at right now, I'm actually yearning for the old days of nothing but reprints, and Core Sets only seeing release every 2 years. 

These new sets are too much. Maro embraces the "restriction breeds creativity" philosophy, I just wish WotC as a whole would also embrace "less is more." Not just less volume, but have you seen the wordiness on these Core Set cards? It seems like the Core Set is moving more towards player retention than acquisition.

Enough functional reprints.
Enough shoe-horning previous expansion mechanics in.
Enough Planeswalker facelifts.

I just cannot muster up any excitement for this Core Set (M12 was the same way). 
This should be called "The Core, the Merrier."
Man, I got really excited...then...not so much.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly good, but it is not BSAngel good.

I'll kill many spirit tokens with it for sure.