6/25/2012 Draft Simulator

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum
I ended up pretty much mono green with a very strong ramp deck.  I am playing a little black but only for removal but otherwise its green fatties all the way.  I have two finishers in Overrun and Carnage Wurm and a reclaim in case something happens to either of them.  Being able to cast Carnage Wurm on turn 4 should be very silly indeed.  This deck can also win turn 4 with a nuts draw.

Round 1:
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Giant Spider
Stampeding Rhino
Hunter's Insight
Giant Spider
Runeclaw Bear
Blood Seeker
Elixir of Immortality
Rootbound Crag
Fling
Plummet
Firebreathing
Angel's Mercy
Swamp

Round 2:
Carnage Wurm
Skinshifter
Llanowar Elves
Brindle Boar
Jade Mage
Wring Flesh
Garruk's Companion
Greater Basilisk
Titanic Growth
Tormented Soul
Naturalize
Reclaim
Llanowar Elves
Elvish Archdruid
Swamp

Round 3:
Angelic Destiny
Stingerfling Spider
Duskhunter Bat
Overrun
Lurking Crocodile
Arachnus Web
Greater Basilisk
Roc Egg
Trollhide
Stonehorn Dignitary
Unsummon
Llanowar Elves
Wurm's Tooth
Kraken's Eye
Forest

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
[sblock Draft]Round 1:
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Lure
Shock
Hunter's Insight
Stormblood Berserker
Plummet
Blood Seeker
Elixir of Immortality
Rootbound Crag
Fling
Plummet
Firebreathing
Angel's Mercy
Swamp

Round 2:
Carnage Wurm
Skinshifter
Llanowar Elves
Trollhide
Llanowar Elves
Elvish Archdruid
Vastwood Gorger
Manabarbs
Fiery Hellhound
Tormented Soul
Naturalize
Reclaim
Armored Warhorse
Zombie Infestation
Swamp

Round 3:
Angelic Destiny
Chandra's Outrage
Reverberate
Overrun
Incinerate
Arachnus Web
Greater Basilisk
Unsummon
Trollhide
Act of Treason
Unsummon
Llanowar Elves
Taste of Blood
Kraken's Eye
Forest
[/sblock]

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
2 x Swamp
8 x Forest
6 x Mountains
1 x Rootbound Crag

CREATURES (10)
3 x Llanowar Elves
Skinshifter
Stormblood Berserker
Elvish Archdruid
Fiery Hellhound
Greater Basilisk
Vastwood Gorger
Carnage Wurm

OTHER SPELLS (13)
Elixir of Immortality
Reclaim
Shock
Incinerate
2 x Doom Blade
Arachnus Web
2 x Trollhide
Hunter's Insight
Act of Treason
Chandra's Outrage
Overrun

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
Naturalize
2 x Plummet
Firebreathing
Fling
Reverberate
Lure
Manabarbs

[sblock Mana Curve]Creatures
1cc - 3
2cc - 2
3cc - 2
4cc - 0
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 1

Other Spells
1cc - 3
2cc - 3
3cc - 5
4cc - 1
5cc - 0
6cc - 1
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 6
2cc - 5
3cc - 7
4cc - 1
5cc - 1
6cc - 2
7cc - 1[/sblock]

This deck doesn't seem that strong.  I wasn't going to post it, but if I don't post the bad with the good, then I will never become a better player.  Need some insight on this draft.  I started off black, but was cut off of good black cards.  Green was looking good, so I shifted to green for my main.  I finally gave up on black being the second color and went for red, still allowing me to splash doom blades.  Not until I was building the deck did I realize I was so low on creatures.  So I threw Elixir into the deck to help recoup from early damage.  Thought about main decking Manabarbs, since I have 4 mana producing creatures.  Please let me know where this went wrong, or if it looks good for the pool.
Ended up R/G/b (splashing for the double doom blade is too good to pass up even though I didn't actually pick up any color fixing).  Was struggling to pick up enough creatures b/c I was having a hard time nailing down my colors.  In the end I know I missed some premium red removal due to needing creatures at the end, but that's life.

Round 1:
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Merfolk Looter
Shock
Levitation
Stormblood Berserker
Act of Treason
Diabolic Tutor
Lava Axe
Goblin Fireslinger
Fling
Redirect
Firebreathing
Angel's Mercy
Swamp

Round 2:
Carnage Wurm
Skinshifter
Llanowar Elves
Goblin Piker
Llanowar Elves
Elvish Archdruid
Vastwood Gorger
Goblin Piker
Goblin Arsonist
Wall of Torches
Runeclaw Bear
Reclaim
Jace's Erasure
Zombie Infestation
Swamp

Round 3:
Angelic Destiny
Stingerfling Spider
Reverberate
Overrun
Lurking Crocodile
Goblin Arsonist
Greater Basilisk
Grand Abolisher
Goblin Bangchuckers  Normally I hate these guys, but there was literally nothing else for me.
Act of Treason
Jace's Erasure
Llanowar Elves
Taste of Blood
Island
Forest

Creatures (15)

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
1x Shock
2x Doom Blade
1x Fling
2x Act of Treason
1x Lava Axe
1x Overrun
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
2x Swamp
8x Forest
7x Mountain
[/deck]

Creatures 15
1-6
2-2
3-2
4-1
5-2
6-1
7-1

Non-Creatures 8
1-1
2-3
3-2
4-0
5-2
6-0
7-0

Total 23
1-7
2-5
3-4
4-1
5-4
6-1
7-1

Nice low curve with a fair bit of ramp via elves, topping off with a pair of large wurms.  I have several endgame spells, in addition to the wurms I can fling them, act of treason the blockers, lava axe the opponent's face, or overrun my entire army.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

[sblock Draft]Round 1:
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Lure
Stampeding Rhino
Hunter's Insight
Garruk's Companion
Runeclaw Bear
Greater Basilisk
Elixir of Immortality
Rootbound Crag
Fling
Plummet
Firebreathing
Angel's Mercy
Swamp

Round 2:
Carnage Wurm
Skinshifter
Llanowar Elves
Trollhide
Llanowar Elves
Elvish Archdruid
Vastwood Gorger
Reclaim
Titanic Growth
Reclaim
Plummet
Goblin Grenade
Armored Warhorse
Stonehorn Dignitary
Swamp

Round 3:
Angelic Destiny
Stingerfling Spider
Goblin Grenade
Overrun
Lurking Crocodile
Arachnus Web
Greater Basilisk
Roc Egg
Naturalize
Act of Treason
Reverberate
Llanowar Elves
Taste of Blood
Kraken's Eye
Forest
[/sblock]

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (16)
3 x Swamp
13 x Forest

CREATURES (14)
3 x Llanowar Elves
Skinshifter
Runeclaw Bear
Garruk's Companion
Lurking Crocodile
Elvish Archdruid
Stampeding Rhino
Stingerfling Spider
2 x Greater Basilisk
Vastwood Gorger
Carnage Wurm

OTHER SPELLS (10)
Reclaim
2 x Doom Blade
Plummet
Titanic Growth
Arachnus Web
Trollhide
Lure
Hunter's Insight
Overrun

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
Elixir of Immortality
Reclaim
Naturalize
Plummet
Rootbound Crag
Fling
Act of Treason

1cc - 3
2cc - 3
3cc - 2
4cc - 0
5cc - 4
6cc - 1
7cc - 1

Other Spells
1cc - 1
2cc - 4
3cc - 4
4cc - 0
5cc - 0
6cc - 1
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 4
2cc - 7
3cc - 6
4cc - 0
5cc - 4
6cc - 2
7cc - 1[/sblock]

This deck feels a bit more solid than my first build.  It definitely has a lot more threats, but with less removal by excluding the red.  Green with a splash of black gives it a very stable mana base.  This should have plenty of mana ramp with 4 mana creatures, so the higher casting cost creatures should not be a problem to cast.  Flying might be a problem, that is why I main decked a plummet.  I also included a reclaim because it will give me the option to recast insight or use overrun earlier.  In case of playing against a heavy black deck, I can side out the doom blades and include rootbound cage, fling and act of treason.  It will not be as effective as the blades, but they will not be dead cards.  And the Crag can replace a forest to make 4 red mana sources. 

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
2 x Swamp
8 x Forest
6 x Mountains
1 x Rootbound Crag

CREATURES (10)
3 x Llanowar Elves
Skinshifter
Stormblood Berserker
Elvish Archdruid
Fiery Hellhound
Greater Basilisk
Vastwood Gorger
Carnage Wurm

OTHER SPELLS (13)
Elixir of Immortality
Reclaim
Shock
Incinerate
2 x Doom Blade
Arachnus Web
2 x Trollhide
Hunter's Insight
Act of Treason
Chandra's Outrage
Overrun

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
Naturalize
2 x Plummet
Firebreathing
Fling
Reverberate
Lure
Manabarbs

1cc - 3
2cc - 2
3cc - 2
4cc - 0
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 1

Other Spells
1cc - 3
2cc - 3
3cc - 5
4cc - 1
5cc - 0
6cc - 1
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 6
2cc - 5
3cc - 7
4cc - 1
5cc - 1
6cc - 2
7cc - 1[/sblock]

This deck doesn't seem that strong.  I wasn't going to post it, but if I don't post the bad with the good, then I will never become a better player.  Need some insight on this draft.  I started off black, but was cut off of good black cards.  Green was looking good, so I shifted to green for my main.  I finally gave up on black being the second color and went for red, still allowing me to splash doom blades.  Not until I was building the deck did I realize I was so low on creatures.  So I threw Elixir into the deck to help recoup from early damage.  Thought about main decking Manabarbs, since I have 4 mana producing creatures.  Please let me know where this went wrong, or if it looks good for the pool.

Not until I was building the deck did I realize I was so low on creatures.

This is your primary problem here.  You need to keep track of how many usable creatures you have as you draft.  I am also partly guilty of this in my deck I posted, but I realized what was happening before I went into pack 3 and so I minimized the impact on me.

As for building from what you did pull, I think you made the correct choices.

Manabarbs wants to be  in a small fast deck that tops out at 4cmc and probably has a couple of lords (like goblin chieftain or adaptive automaton).  The barbs usually can't fit into a sealed deck, because if you don't construct the entire deck with it in mind it usually ends up as win more (i.e. only helps you when you're already ahead).

Never really done drafts, but looking to start, since I think I'll like the format better than standard. Looking for a critique:

The Draft

Round 1:
Adaptive Automaton
Goblin Fireslinger
Dragon's Claw
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Goblin Piker
Stormblood Berserker
Runeclaw Bear
Slaughter Cry
Lava Axe
Rootbound Crag
Fling
Plummet
Firebreathing
Angel's Mercy
Swamp

Round 2:
Carnage Wurm
Lightning Elemental
Stormblood Berserker
Goblin Grenade
Goblin War Paint
Titanic Growth
Garruk's Companion
Wurm's Tooth
Dragon's Claw
Reclaim
Llanowar Elves
Brindle Boar
Roc Egg
Elvish Archdruid
Swamp

Round 3:
Slaughter Cry
Chandra's Outrage
Reverberate
Goblin War Paint
Incinerate
Lightning Elemental
Fog
Goblin War Paint
Trollhide
Act of Treason
Demon's Horn
Llanowar Elves
Wurm's Tooth
Kraken's Eye
Forest

The Deck

Creatures (15):
Adaptive Automaton
Brindle Boar
Carnage Wurm
Elvish Archdruid
Garruk's Companion
Goblin Fireslinger
Goblin Piker
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Lightning Elemental x2
Llanowar Elves x2
Runeclaw Bear
Stormblood Berserker x2

Spells (11):
Chandra's Outrage
Dragon's Claw x2
Fling
Goblin Grenade
Goblin War Paint
Incinerate
Lava Axe
Plummet
Reverberate
Slaughter Cry

Land x14:
Rootbound Crag
Mountain x8
Forest x6

First thing you need to learn about drafting:
There are very few times where you should pass a Doom Blade.  It is cheap, easily splashable, and kills almost any creature in the set.  Adaptive automaton wants a tribal deck.  Tribal is difficult to pull off in draft (not impossible, but very difficult and you end up hamstringing yourself by passing very good cards in your colors to stay in tribal), so I would not take this over doom blade. Goblin Fireslinger is a pretty nice card, very nice in bloodthirst, but this early in the draft there is no definitive need for it, whereas doom blade is always powerful.

Dragon's claw and it's relatives kraken's eye, wurm's tooth, angel's feather, and demon's horn are not very good cards.  At all.  On the surface life gain is a good thing, after all you're going to be casting red spells with this deck.  However life gain on its own in these tiny amounts is easily negated by a simple attack or two by a single creature.  These life gain artifacts do not allow you to affect the board, hurt your opponent, or get you more cards into your hand.  That's not to say that lifegain is a bad thing, just that it usually needs to be stapled to something else that does either affect the board, draw cards, or hurt the opponent, or is in such ridiculously large quantities that it takes forever to bring you back down.

High power and low toughness is only good if you can get it past your opponent's creatures (or I suppose if it's cheap enough, but that's something you have to get a feel for). Lightning Elemental can do neither of these (and is not cheap enough).  The only place it could possibly work is in a deck heavily loaded with removal/kill spells or lots of ways to give it flying or unblockable.  Most often you will find that the elemental will either trade with a 1/1 or you'll hold him back as a one time defensive use creature.

Reverberate is difficult to use in draft for 3 reasons.  1) you usually don't want more than half your spells to be non-creatures, so it's difficult to find enough spells worthy of playing.  2)Not all instants and sorceries are worth copying, although most red ones are.  3)Even if you have enough spells and you find them all, casting reverberate requires an additional 2 mana to cast, effectively increasing the casting cost of whatever spell you want to cast.  Not only does this spell have to be worth doubling, but you also have to have enough mana.  Sure Lava Axe is a fantastic spell to double, but getting to 7 mana often takes well more than 7 turns.

One other thing, the typical number of lands for a draft deck is 17.  You can go down to 16 if you have a low mana curve of spells that top out at maybe 4 mana.  You can go up to 18 if you have a lot of 5+ spells that are very powerful, efficient, and capable of swinging the momentum of the entire game by themselves(I've not yet done this).  And don't forget to count your non-basic lands in your land count.  Your deck here actually has 15 lands.

Your overall deck size wants to be as close to 40 as you can get it.  15-17 creatures is usually optimal.  That leaves room for 6-9 non-creatures typically.

Hope this helped and good luck drafting.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Thanks Flyheight.  That was very informative.  I generally build sly decks in standard, and there's obviously a few nuances I've yet to learn.
@Flyheight:
" Reverberate is difficult to use in draft for 3 reasons.  1) you usually don't want more than half your spells to be non-creatures, so it's difficult to find enough spells worthy of playing.  2)Not all instants and sorceries are worth copying, although most red ones are.  3)Even if you have enough spells and you find them all, casting reverberate requires an additional 2 mana to cast, effectively increasing the casting cost of whatever spell you want to cast.  Not only does this spell have to be worth doubling, but you also have to have enough mana.  Sure Lava Axe is a fantastic spell to double, but getting to 7 mana often takes well more than 7 turns."

I usually focus on Reverbing my own spells too.  But I was thinking the other day, when I incorporate them, I should think about using them to respond to my opponents spells more often too.  Granted, not all spells your opponent casts will be useful when turned against them, and the original spell will still affect you, BUT it could be fun in a retributive, find-a-silver-lining kinda way.  Green Ramp overrun's their creatures?  Reverb onto your defenders.
After that strong, double doom blade start, black got scarce really quick.  I ended up with a somewhat clunky white/red/black deck, but as long as I get one mana of each relatively quickly, this deck would perform alright.

2x Goblin Arsonist
1x Elite Vanguard
1x Gideon's Lawkeeper
2x Stormfront Pegasus
1x Stormblood Berserker
1x Goblin Tunneler
1x Goblin Piker
1x Griffin Sentinel
1x Bloodrage Vampire
1x Roc Egg
1x Gorehorn Minotaurs
2x Siege Mastodons

1x Wring Flesh
2x Doom Blade
1x Spirit Mantle
1x Dark Favor
1x Angelic Destiny
2x Lava Axe

8x Plains
5x Mountain
4x Swamp

It would be an aggressive, hard-hitting deck that would rely on pumping up creatures like the Minotaurs or Mastodons to win, and removing any major threats with Doom Blade and Wring Flesh.
Show
Round 1:
Doom Blade
Negate
Merfolk Looter
Redirect
Mind Unbound
Giant Spider
Disentomb
Auramancer
Circle of Flame
Rootbound Crag
Buried Ruin
Act of Treason
Taste of Blood
Angel's Mercy
Swamp

Round 2:
Monomania
Cancel
Jace's Archivist
Frost Breath
Jace's Erasure
Ponder
Divination
Frost Breath
Ponder
Tormented Soul
Llanowar Elves
Taste of Blood
Roc Egg
Elvish Archdruid
Swamp

Round 3:
Mana Leak
Aether Adept
Jace's Erasure
Jace's Erasure
Mana Leak
Smallpox
Glacial Fortress
Grand Abolisher
Cancel
Distress
Unsummon
Lifelink
Taste of Blood
Kraken's Eye
Forest

Non-Creatures (20):
Doom Blade
Negate
Redirect
Mind Unbound
Monomania
Cancel x2
Frost Breath x2
Jace's Erasure x3
Ponder x2
Divination
Mana Leak x2
Smallpox
Distress
Unsummon

Creatures (5):
Merfolk Looter
Grand Abolisher
Aether Adept
Roc Egg
Jace's Archivist

Lands (15):
Glacial Fortress
Plains x2
Swamp x4
Island x8

Sideboard:
Angel's Mercy
Auramancer
Taste of Blood x3
Lifelink
Disentomb
Giant Spider
Elvish Archdruid
Llanowar Elves
Tormented Soul
Forest x2
Plains
Swamp

This U/b/w deck is 100% pure mill--solely focused on decking my oponnent (I think a pretty sound approach if you can manage it, facing 40 card decks).  Jace's Erasure + Mind Unbound +Jace's Archivist + cantrips constitute the main machinery.  I've got a bit o' counter/removal in there to keep me alive.  If gameplay dictates that I need a greater presence on the battlefield, I can swap out w for g--Giant Spider, Llanowar Elves, & Elvish Archdruid--and/or incorporate the Tormented Soul, and a Disentomb.  I wish that I could play a round with my drafted decks!

2nd draft, so I included commentary too.  Went mono green with splash of b/r.

[sblock Draft with commentary]
Round 1:
Doom Blade ---- Several decent choices, but only one great choice - Doom Blade
Doom Blade ---- 2 really good choices, but again Doom Blade better than them
Lure ---- Merfolk Looter is the best card here, Devouring Swarm is in color, Lure is a power card and Stormfront Pegasus is a nice cheap flier.  U/B tends to be more control,mill discard whereas B/G tends to be more aggro/toxic.  Give me Lure.

Stampeding Rhino ---- Gorehorn Minotaurs and Shock are best cards in this group however I can't have both, also if I am going G/B, Stampeding Rhino fits better than splashing.  Really taking a risk not going R/B bloodthirst, but taking the Rhino.

Hunter's Insight ---- yuck!  Stormfront Pegasus and Spirit Mantle are now taunting me for not going W earlier, in color is only Hideous Visage and Hunter's Insight.  Taking Insight, but for 3 I have to have creature hit player for 2+ to make it worth it.

Garruk's Companion ---- Hmm, again bloodthist mocks me, but 3/2 trample for 2 is better than maybe 3/3 for 2, so Champion it is.
Runeclaw Bear ---- White weenies are mocking me still, but two decent choices in Plummet and Runeclaw Bear, Bear always plays, Plummet usually sideboard.  Taking the Bear, marginal glance at Disentomb.

Greater Basilisk ---- Several options here, end up going deathtouch with the Basilisk over Tutor, Croc and Seeker
Elixir of Immortality ---- Fog is only in color.  May not be right choice, but taking Elixir instead.
Rootbound Crag ---- hmm, dual lands allow some splash options more readily.  two nice red cards too in Fling and Goblin Fireslinger.  taking dual land.  Maybe another Shock will fall my way

Fling ---- Another Fling, Rider and junk.  Taking Fling because green has big power and I can splash red with dual if I need to
Plummet ---- Plummet tabled, thank you very much
Firebreathing ---- Firebreathing is better than Taste of Blood
Angel's Mercy ---- No gain life for you
Swamp ---- Expected

Round 2:
Carnage Wurm ---- Carnage Wurm is very strong nasty card.  Mild temptation of Titanic Growth or even Rampant Growth as Doom Blade starting to look like a splash card.

Skinshifter ---- Skinshifter is best card, although Arachnus Web is nice card and Tormented Soul helps get some more black in deck, hope he tables

Llanowar Elves ---- best cards are all blue, green is looking like mono color at this point since no black is showing up, taking Elves, because they are huge in mono green.

Trollhide ---- If I am mono green I like Trollhide, ok I like it alot even when green is one of two colors in deck. And it really is best card in this group

Llanowar Elves ---- Hmmm choices, Another Champion, Another Elf, Sacred Wolf or Gravedigger to get me back into black.  Elf wins out because I am very solid green at this point.  Wolf and Trollhide is nasty idea though.

Elvish Archdruid ---- Oh wow, Elvish Archdruid.  Need to take him, but it hurts to pass Rampant Growth when I know I need way to get black.  Titanic Growth also very solid option.

Garruk's Companion ---- Another Champion, Big ugly Gorger too, or do I go Tormented Soul to make black more than a splash... going Champion.  I have some big uglies already and a turn 2 3/2 trampler might cause some issues, the more I have the more likely that is my turn 2 drop, Naturalize also there, but not with other options

Reclaim ---- I don't like Reclaim because it is card disadvantage by not putting it in hand, Blue had best cards with couple of frosty ones, but going in color

Titanic Growth ---- Titanic Growth tables, nice.  Disentomb and Mind Rot still tempt me back to two colors, but stick with better card

Tormented Soul ---- Ok if black dried up in a big way, maybe green might in pack 3, taking Tormented Soul over 2nd Reclaim
Naturalize ---- hmm, two strong situational cards in Naturalize and Plummet and another bear.Already have 4 2cc creatures, and 1 Plummet, so I go Naturalize.  I always like at least 1 of them incase I run into a enchantment/artifact that is a problem.

Goblin Grenade ---- Reclaim is in color or I can hate the Goblin Grenade.  I hate
Armored Warhorse ---- hate creature or enchantment, hate the creature
Stonehorn Dignitary ---- hate the creature
Swamp ---- Expected

Round 3:
Trollhide ---- Do I take Trollhide in color or hate on white's epic... Trollhide likely won't table so really is hard choice.  Colossus is also viable, but not as permanent.  I take the Trollhide, but not by much over my hate

Stingerfling Spider ---- A killer spider is nice... by the way, stop shoving all those beautiful bloodthirsts back in my face.  Nice card for R/W/U in this pack, black still looking pretty meager.

Duskhunter Bat ---- No green in sight, I am going to splash black, Duskhunter Bat might make cut.  All hate options are marginal
Overrun ---- Choices, well not really Overrun is the choice, but Elf and Wolf are cards I would like to see table.

Incinerate ---- I took a dual earlier so I could splash red if I found an option.  Incinerate is a card worth splashing.  Croc only green option and Sorin's Thirst is double B

Greater Basilisk ---- Green beef arrives in choice between 2nd Baslisk or 2nd Rhino.  Web also is option, but going with 2nd Deathtouch to give me more lure options.

Greater Basilisk ---- Hey now I have 3 deathtouches, Visage and Fog only other options, another dual.  Had this been for real, might take dual for non-draft reasons

Roc Egg ---- Trash options.  Hate on White or unsummon.  I think Roc Egg more problems for me than Grand Abolisher or Unsummon
Naturalize ---- Spider or Naturalize.  I think I am good on creatures, so I go for 2nd Naturalize
Stonehorn Dignitary ---- All hate options, no green nor splash type cards from R or B.  Hate this Stonehorn Dignitary over the Elite Vanguard

Demystify ---- More hate, well being mono color does cause this more.  Hate Demystify over Reverberate because I don't want you to kill my Trollhides the easy way.

Llanowar Elves ---- Elf tables, ncie!  More tribal for the Archdruid
Wurm's Tooth ---- I won't play it but at least the life gainer is in color
Kraken's Eye ---- U life gainer won't see playing time either
Forest ---- Hey, at least it is the right color

[/sblock]

The challenge was how many non-Forests do you put in for splash cards.

Creatures (15):
Llanowar Elves x 3
Skinshifter
Garruk's Companion x 2
Runeclaw Bear
Duskhunter Bat
Elvish Archdruid
Stingerfling Spider
Stampeding Rhino
Greater Basilisk x 3
Carnage Wurm

Spells (8):
Titanic Growth
Doom Blade x 2
Incinerate
Trollhide x 2
Lure
Overrun

Land (17):
Forest x 12
Swamp x 4
Mountain
Rootbound Crag

Hope this helped and good luck drafting.

I'm new to drafting and thought that was very helpful. I'd appreciate any links to other good advice for beginners.

Thanks!
@Black Fro--that's a powerful G aggro deck right there!  I'd really like to match-up my mill against that and see if I could survive long enough to deck you or just get blasted by it.  lol
Sign In to post comments