If you could have one piece of fluff/flavor of D&D from a previous edition return, what would it be?

Just as it says on the tin. What Fluff/Flavor/Non-mechanical component of D&D from a previous edition, all the way back from the original white box edition, to 4e, would you like to see return in Next?

For me, it would be Clerics or other Divine characters, who get their magic, not from a deity, but a devotion to an ideal. I had the idea for a character in 3.5, who I never got to run, but she was a Revolutionary Demogogue, but mechanically, she was a cleric devoted to the idea of Freedom. It was so fun to design the background for a non-religious cleric, as well as the background of a political revolutionary, as a D&D character. I especially hope this returns, seeing as Clerics seem to have more that they can do than in 3.5, when I built her originally. I don't feel like I have to play the healer (which, oddly enough was the reason I created her; I felt the idea of a stereotypical heal-bot cleric devoted to a Deity was just boring to play, so I turned it on its' side)

So how bout you guys? What would you like to see return? Remember, this is non-mechanical. We have enough arguements over the mechanics of different systems. 

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.

Magic is a science, too.  It can be studied, learned, and understood.  It behaves in predictable ways ('this word plus this gesture plus this bat poop equals Fireball').

and vancien magic is the most scientific of all.
As dying earth is a sci-fi series not fantasy,it is based on discovering the single unified theory of everything, somthing the scientists at cern are still looking for.
It was though if you could unerstand everything you also could manipulate everything.

so you prepared the spell, puting all the variables that don't change to fast in the equation and solving it as far as you can.
then when you cast the spell you put in the last variables like where you want the effect to happen and solve the equation making it reality.

Magic is a science, too.  It can be studied, learned, and understood.  It behaves in predictable ways ('this word plus this gesture plus this bat poop equals Fireball').

In game it is, but I'm talking fluff wise. When it comes to fluff, magic tends to be more "mysterious" and unexplainable. Why does invisibility cast shadows? It's magic! Some people play up the mysteriousness of it and others, like me, snap some logic onto it.

Meanwhile, in 3.5 psionic powers were named in greek / latin root word style. Fluff wise it was so science-ish that some people felt it was too "sci-fi." I personally loved it and want that style of psionic fluff back.

Even if magic is done the way I enjoy, where it's a science of arcane energy, the study of psionics is still a completely different science. So I still want psionics =/= magic emphasized. (Or at least not directly contradicted with the term "psionic magic.") And if magic fluff is all about being mysterious and unexplainable then I REALLY want it partitioned off from psionics.

Please remember to keep your comments positve, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in. If you have any questions or would
like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Thank you for your understanding!

1. Requiring the paladin to tithe 10% of his wealth, limit of 10 magical items,  and the concept of the fallen paladin.
2. Druids ability to survive in the elemental planes (elemental plane of fire etc)
3. The great wheel cosmology -  because it worked and didn't need fixing.
4. Gnomes not being fey creatures, but closer to elemental earth types and dwarves.  
5. Minotaurs that don't get lost in mazes and are immune to the maze spell.
6. Lycanthropy as a curse that causes you to lose control of your character on a full moon.
7. Vampirism as a curse and not a class or race.
8. Intelligent weapons with alignment restrictions and will power battles.

I want Zygig to be a Diety in the base rulebook! Zygig was the diety that was in greyhawk that Gary Gygax made of himself. The name is his backwards with a little change to it.
I want Zygig to be a Diety in the base rulebook! Zygig was the diety that was in greyhawk that Gary Gygax made of himself. The name is his backwards with a little change to it.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Wait, one piece from each edition or just a single piece period? I'm gonna assume its the latter.

I would say a big thing for me is the faerie courts and the dominance of the faeries in the forest realms. Without that, its just not d&d for me.
huh... Now i want to look abit more at Ebberon, i've never used an official setting exept for one foray into Dark Sun. But it sounds like it could be fun, or atleast a good resource to steal/borrow some stuff from.

As for fluff i'd like to keep... I'd have to say the connection to the world that Presige classes and Paragon Paths/Epic Destinies have. Don't know what/if Next will have to replace those but they better give me great inspiration like Malachi and Duryan Flamebrow, The Order of Illumination and the Unseen Hand.
If I had to pick just one, it would be the Primal power source.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
How can I choose just one thing?  There is so much cool lore and fluff!

AD&D 1e - Classic Greyhawk, human centric low fantasy civilizations
AD&D 2e - How Ravenloft worked, Great Wheel Cosmology, Forgotten Realms Earthy subsettings (Maztica, Mulhorand, Al Qadim, Kara Tur, etc...), DARK SUN!!!  (Not to mention the 2e take on defiling... Thanks, Warrant!)
3e/3.5 - Department 7 (Okay, that's D20 Modern), Dark*Matter conspiracy concepts (Again, D20 Modern), The Mournland from Eberron, Far Realm Horrors, Taint/Corruption/Depravity concepts (okay, this might fall under mechanic, but fluffwise they were cool!), Ghostwalk
1e-3e - Vampirism and Lycanthropy as curses, unholy energy being the power for fiends and undead, mind flayers and how they spawn *shudder in terror*
4e - Tons of Pocket Worlds, Revenants, The new look at Warlocks

While I'm at it, anything really pertaining to horror.  I LOOOOVE my horror.

Edit:  I just can't choose one thing, now can I?  I love to ramble!

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Dark Sun: 2e version of Defiling magic vs Preserver magic
Dark Sun: 4e Primal power for druids. This should be its own power source no matter what.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
For me, it would be Clerics or other Divine characters, who get their magic, not from a deity, but a devotion to an ideal.

I used to have a fairly high level cleric devoted to the concept of cleanliness. His helmet looked like an upturned wash bucket and he was armed with an assortement of enchanted brooms. I even modified a miniature to match (broom and all). When he said "Begone unclean beast" it had extra meaning...

Other then concept clerics I really want to see the Great Wheel, and specifically the modrons and Mechanus. I've always had a soft-spot for the super-lawful drone dudes.

Please remember to keep your comments positve, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in. If you have any questions or would
like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Thank you for your understanding!

I like the way Inevitibles were presented in 3.5.

Oh, at that Psion power where you throw a guy at another guy.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
I know the OP / thread title says "one" piece but I have a 3-way tie:

1) The Code of Enoblement for Paladins (from the 2nd Ed. AD&D Complete Paladin's Handbook) / The Knight's Code (from the 3rd Ed. PHB2) - including the violations and penalties, such as the Ceremony of Disgrace.

2) The Blood War between baatezu and tanar'ri.

3) The "Traditional Sources", "Fiction Sources", and "Film and Video" sections in 2nd Ed. AD&D guidebooks that gave additional reading material / movies that were related to or served as inspiration for particular class archtypes. I realize the copyrighting for this would probably be tricky, but it was a cool way to get more information on stuff I found interesting -- a little outdated in the age of the internet, but I still find it interesting.

EDIT: As a personal note, I'm surprised at how much support the Primal Power thing is getting. It made some sense to me for Druids, but I hated it for Barbarians.
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
Personal opinion...

There's stuff from every edition that I'd like to be able to mix together and play with in D&D Next.

4th Edition: The Feywild, the Shadowfell, shadow powered assassins, primal powered druids.

1st Edition: The flavor of the assassin class, the various demon lords and devil princes in the Monster Manuals.

Those. I go back and forth on focusing the assassin on the whole guild assassin for hire concept, since that's not only a small part of the history of the concept, but not even the part from which it gets its name.

Also 4e primal spirits. and especially the primal power source for barbarians. IMO, barbarians have always been primal.
And shamans as their own thing.

And this:
Non-devine druids and primal barbarians. Psionic monks.

Also,
- Eberron's idea that alignment was divorced from class and species.  Corrupt Angel?  No problem.  Good cleric of Vecna?  Got you covered.

Or the fact that a cleric of a good god could in fact be corrupt and evil while still having access to the appropriate domains and spell-casting.

Ebberon did a lot of good things this game in my opinion :-) 

all of that.

Yeah, to me, Eberron is the face of modern D&D.

Seriously. I won't respond directly to the detrators ITT, because it's off topic and this is a cool thread, but
Show
I think they're wrong on every point. Eberron is what DnD should be. (how the butts is eberron remotely directionless? It has twice the focus and cohesive narrative of FR or Greyhawk. Gah! Sorry. I'll stop. )

I disagree about artificers, though. 4e Arti all the way. All those powers that create little gadget minions, and the whole, healing by throwing a vial of healing infusion at your friend, and making them ahead of time, animating objects like weapons, etc. The class felt exactly like an arcane tinkerer, to me. The feel of the Eberron wizard Macguyver or Q was perfectly modeled by the 4e artificer, IMO.

Gods are very much proven (not necceccarily indiviuals, but gods do exist). Clerics don't just "beleive so hard" that they shoot lasers from a magical cross (holy symbol is more correct, but cross made the sentance more fluid).

They do in Eberron.

Read the religion section again. Someone's granting that power, and scientists speculate on the specifics of gods, not the existance of them. For example, maybe the Sovgern Host doesn't exist, but there is a being of great power granting the cleric the magic they are using.

To paraphrase Keith Baker, creator of Eberron, from a post in these forums, a group of people would worship a shoe, and with enough conviction, theoretically gain clerical magic.

Divine magic is not granted conciously by a powerful being in Eberron. It's created by strong faith.

In fact, even the angels of the astral realms don't know for sure if the gods exist.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Anything written by Roger Moore, including the racial pantheons.  

Please no deities at all in the core rule books.    They should only appear in campaign source books.     
Just as it says on the tin. What Fluff/Flavor/Non-mechanical component of D&D from a previous edition, all the way back from the original white box edition, to 4e, would you like to see return in Next?

For me, it would be Clerics or other Divine characters, who get their magic, not from a deity, but a devotion to an ideal. I had the idea for a character in 3.5, who I never got to run, but she was a Revolutionary Demogogue, but mechanically, she was a cleric devoted to the idea of Freedom. It was so fun to design the background for a non-religious cleric, as well as the background of a political revolutionary, as a D&D character.

I love that idea! I can well imagine some hippy chick with tattoos, a tie-dyed shirt, a guitar and a backpack all ready to Occupy the Dungeon!
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
I loved the implied world in 4e, especially the different planes.
From 4e I like the Feywild.  Not the shadowfell as much.

From 3e I like the the domain flavor but I want even more.  I plan on working hard on Gods for my next world.  I like warforged as wizard creations too.  Eberron not as much but I am glad it's out there.  I like the settings that are really different from the main core one.   We need a straight fantasy setting but I like having Dark Sun and Eberron exist.

From 1e/2e I like the name level roleplay rewards.  Castles, Followers, etc...  I miss the gish from 1e too.  I also like the named demons and devils.

For me, it would be Clerics or other Divine characters, who get their magic, not from a deity, but a devotion to an ideal. I had the idea for a character in 3.5, who I never got to run, but she was a Revolutionary Demogogue, but mechanically, she was a cleric devoted to the idea of Freedom. It was so fun to design the background for a non-religious cleric, as well as the background of a political revolutionary, as a D&D character. I especially hope this returns, seeing as Clerics seem to have more that they can do than in 3.5, when I built her originally. I don't feel like I have to play the healer (which, oddly enough was the reason I created her; I felt the idea of a stereotypical heal-bot cleric devoted to a Deity was just boring to play, so I turned it on its' side)

So how bout you guys? What would you like to see return? Remember, this is non-mechanical. We have enough arguements over the mechanics of different systems. 

I actually always liked this too. you could theorhatically run a campaign with divine magic where the existance of gods was questioned by some.
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
To paraphrase Keith Baker, creator of Eberron, from a post in these forums, a group of people would worship a shoe, and with enough conviction, theoretically gain clerical magic.

I love it! Next time I run Eberron, I'm having the party run into the Church of the Dirty Shoe!

For me, it would be Clerics or other Divine characters, who get their magic, not from a deity, but a devotion to an ideal. I had the idea for a character in 3.5, who I never got to run, but she was a Revolutionary Demogogue, but mechanically, she was a cleric devoted to the idea of Freedom. It was so fun to design the background for a non-religious cleric, as well as the background of a political revolutionary, as a D&D character.

I love that idea! I can well imagine some hippy chick with tattoos, a tie-dyed shirt, a guitar and a backpack all ready to Occupy the Dungeon!

Not quite my idea, but, I love that idea! I could see multiclassing as a Bard, and putting the high Charisma I gave her to good use. 

But my character was designed for a setting a friend of mine made (unfortunately, he moved away a while ago, and I'd want to play with him on skype, but I can't seem to find him. Pluss it would be a bit awkward, to come out of the blue like that), essentially late 18th-early 19th century Europe in a fantasy setting, so my character was designed with the character of Enjolras from Les Miserables, in mind (which, if you may note, is where I got my last character I played [also my screen name]'s surname). Much tougher minded, and contemplative, but still driven, and strong in convictions.

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.