viable two headed giant deck combinations

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think it's great when you find two decks that synergise well, or that compliment each other in some way; discovering cool new combos and interactions is what 2HG is all about. So, to save us all having to test every single combination, I'd like to create a go-to list for deck combinations that are viable in two-headed giant. Decks that synergise well, or that compliment each other in some way, are what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in ranking these combinations in any way, although I'm sure it could be done; I just want a list of combinations that people can use as a reference point for testing out cool new deck interactions. 

I'll update the list when people post. A little explanation as to why the combinations is good, and/or some key interactions would be nice. I'll wait for a second vote on each suggested combination before adding them to the list.

CONFIRMED LIST (top two are community "favourites"):

obedient dead + dream puppets
Underworld Dreams + forced card draw -- need I say more? But wait, there's more...nightmare incursion + telemin performance, mill to put a timer on the opposition, and a tonne of removal to make sure they can't beat the timer.

dream puppets + celestial light
lifegain works well to keep your health in the green while the mill gets into full swing.

obedient dead + born of flame
not much to say really. plenty of removal and plenty of early direct damage sets the stage for both of these deck's big finishers to finish the job.

born of flame + crosswinds

AWAITING CONFIRMATION:

chandra's + exalted 
Chandra can get a lot of damage in without using creatures to attack, while exalted just goes about it's business. Both decks have a lot of removal for controlling the board, and can both deal damage fast. The chandra build should focus on instants and sorceries; good inclusions are 2x boots, 2x oblivion, and 2x fire servant. Plus, there is good synergy between exalted's regenerate abilities and chandra's sweepers, so a magma phoenix or two would not be a bad inclusion for an even sturdier defence.

goblins + garruk
goblins to gain board control early, setting up for garruk's finishers (and goblin's finishers)

liliana's + lifegian
Liliana's deck actually has a surprising number of life gain cards. Corrupt, Tendrils, Vampire Nighthawk, the bat (forgetting the name), Last Kiss, etc. While the Liliana deck is helping the Ajani deck achieve their goal it's also keeping the board clear with the suite of mass clears and spot removal.

born of flame (or liliana's deck) + yeva's deck
like born of flame + talrand's; yeva's deck is very, very strong in the late-game. With a little help to get there, it can then be free to thrive, while burn continues doing what it does.

Chandra+Odric/Krenko
Early control+early aggro (in case of Odric its super early control, but loses some speed) -- a good counter to mill+ lifegain if it's seeing a lot of play in the meta.

Odric+Krenko 
not particularly synergistic, but pure aggro for an early beating.

ancient wilds + peacekeepers
try the combo with fiend hunter and erratic portal.

peacekeepers + crosswinds
lots of control and lots of power late game

I'll start the list with a couple that I've found so far:

lilliana's + chandra's
mill + lifegain
chandra's + exaulted (awaiting confirmation)

(I've put the reasons/interactions in the list -- by all means, if anyone cares to elborate on these, I haven't spent a lot of effort, so please feel free!)

I haven't trued this but Illiana with Underworld Dreams and Jace with all his forced card draw seems like a nice combo. All the removal and bounce should keep the board clear enough too.
Mill + Lifegain, the duo everyone and their grandma plays. I don't think it's possible to win against this team unless they both get terrible draws, and frankly it's the reason I'm not enjoying 2HG at the moment. 

I have found that Goblins and Garruk help each other out quite a bit when set up right. Goblin's massive amount of tiny creatures to throw in as blockers and chumps help keep Garruk alive until he really gets his momentum.

But seriously, screw Mill + Lifegain. I hate that combo. 
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Ajani and Liliana work well together. Liliana's deck actually has a surprising number of life gain cards. Corrupt, Tendrils, Vampire Nighthawk, the bat (forgetting the name), Last Kiss, etc. While the Liliana deck is helping the Ajani deck achieve their goal it's also keeping the board clear with the suite of mass clears and spot removal.
I thought of two that could perhaps work, although haven't tested yet.

born of flame (or liliana's deck) + talrand's deck
talrands deck is one of the most powerful late-game decks; if born of flame (or perhaps liliana's deck) can help it to survive to late-game, then it should be a dangerous combo.

born of flame + yeva's deck
like born of flame + talrand's; yeva's deck is very, very strong in the late-game. With a little help to get there, it can then be free to thrive, while burn continues doing what it does.
so has anybody been using any of the combo's that are awaiting confirmation?
liliana + Chandra

Mill+Life gain

Chandra+Odric/Krenko (early control+early agro, in case of Odric its super early control, but loses some speed, good against mill+ lifegain)

Odric+Krenko (pure agro)