D13 Expansion 1 - Rakdos's "Grinning Malice" Decklist & Unlocks

587 posts / 0 new
Last post

Decklist for Rakdos's "Grinning Malice",
found inside the game files, so it may not be final.

The Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Expansion features five new two-color decks as well as additional Campaign content.
Take on your opponents with new two-color decks that correspond to the Azorius, Golgari, Izzet, Rakdos, and Selesnya guilds.

Grinning Malice
2 x Hellhole Rats
1 x Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
1 x Bituminous Blast
2 x Blightning
1 x Blazing Specter
2 x Blood Cultist
1 x Deathbringer Thoctar
1 x Defiler Of Souls
1 x Pain Magnification
2 x Terminate
1 x Rakdos The Defiler
2 x Singe-Mind Ogre
2 x Wrecking Ball
1 x Capricious Efreet
2 x Stabbing Pain
2 x Hissing Iguanar
2 x Sootstoke Kindler
2 x Ashenmoor Gouger
1 x Spiteflame Witch
2 x Goblin Deathraiders
2 x Typhoid Rats
2 x Demigod Of Revenge
1 x Deathgreeter
4 x Evolving Wilds

Unlocks
1 x Demigod Of Revenge
1 x Terminate
2 x Onyx Mage
1 x Ashenmoor Gouger
2 x Scavenger Drake
2 x Vexing Devil
1 x Malfegor
2 x Reanimate
2 x Bloodchief Ascension
1 x Kaervek The Merciless
1 x Avatar Of Slaughter
1 x Heat Shimmer
2 x Chaos Warp
1 x Din Of The Fireherd
1 x Bituminous Blast
2 x Ashenmoor Liege
1 x Capricious Efreet
1 x Wrecking Ball
2 x Avatar Of Discord
2 x Rockslide Elemental
1 x Grave Titan

Promo Unlocks
1 x Kaervek The Merciless
1 x Vampiric Dragon
1 x Dragonmaster Outcast
1 x Demonic Tutor
1 x Bloodchief Ascension
1 x Demigod Of Revenge
1 x Massacre Wurm
1 x Grave Titan
1 x Deathbringer Thoctar
1 x Din Of The Fireherd

Say hello to eons of evil 2013.
Big red (and black)! This deck looks awesome. So mayn cards like the Titan and the Ascension.

@orcal: and Throktar brought a lot of friends with him. Foot in Mouth

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

An entire playset of Demigod of Revenge? A freaking Demonic Tutor?! Wow. This looks like a fun kill everything deck.
One thing I really like is how it has way more multi-color cards than other multi-color decks have. Makes it feel more like a multi-color deck, rather than 2 mono-color decks squished together. I'm fully aware that's by far not always the best, but since DotP decks aren't top-tier anyway, such a gimmick works just fine.
4 x Demigod of Revenge!!!!!  

This deck is pretty sweet.  I think this might be my deck.

Edit:  Magic Christmas wonderland draw of the day:   Avatar of Discord and 3x Demigod of Revenge.
Say hello to Ragequit Festival 2013.

Fixed that for you, friend Laughing

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I'm loving this deck.

Might be a noob  question, but how do I unlock promo cards?
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I want to play with this deck so bad.
Wow this deck is brutal - I hope it's not OP compared to the others

Not much filler in this deck, it's pretty much all good - nice curve too 
I like this one a lot. Dual sweetness.
WTF Surprised....

....want !!!Laughing

So many amazing cards in this deck, it's incredible...
Brings back memories from Scales of Fury. I like how each card is really efficient, that's dual cards for you I guess.
lmao, this is the Black/Red Aggro deck from Standard 2009/2010 that I ran almost to the letter. I should have no problem trimming this down, im VERY familiar with the cards. Beside that, it has my favorite discard, WTFBLIGHTNINGOMG. Hit somebody in a tournament with that twice in one turn and discarded their whole hand, thier face was hard to emulate.
What are promo unlocks?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
I don't know what promo cards are... but...

I LOVE this deck!!! It's my personal favorite now Blightning and Terminate YESSSS!
I think the promo unlocks are just the 10 new unlocks for the core set of decks. There are 40 total unlocks for these new decks and it would be strange to not have any additional unlocks for the core decks when the expansion is released.
I like that this deck can go aggro or control. I'll be going control, and I love the discard stuff, but 4 Demigod of Revenge just seems too good, and Demonic Tutor.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Now this is what Im talking about, only thing that worries me is the deck might be too good. Ill definitely be rocking this when the dlc releases. If this deck had a flameblast dragon I don't even know what I would do.
I think the promo unlocks are just the 10 new unlocks for the core set of decks. There are 40 total unlocks for these new decks and it would be strange to not have any additional unlocks for the core decks when the expansion is released.

That said, it would be nice if someone datamined the promo cards for the existing decks.
That said, it would be nice if someone datamined the promo cards for the existing decks.

Like here?

Yes, like there.

>_>

<_<
uuuhhh the sweetness, can't wait!
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
This deck is INSANE.

Love the cards [C]Terminate[/C], [C]Blightning[/C], [C]Malfegor[/C]!!!), the flavor and everything!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

So anyone have any idea when this might be released? Its prolly not a good sign that Im more excited for this deck than any of the original 10.
So anyone have any idea when this might be released? Its prolly not a good sign that Im more excited for this deck than any of the original 10.

Probably anywhere from September to October, if they want to keep it around the Return to Ravnica. But since these are already in the files I can see them doing it sooner and releasing the other five around R2R's release.

Probably anywhere from September to October, if they want to keep it around the Return to Ravnica. But since these are already in the files I can see them doing it sooner and releasing the other five around R2R's release.

Yea judging from their usual release schedule that would make perfect sense, but I hope not, ill be back in school around that time and won't be able to play anymore so fingers crossed for maybe an august release(although truth be told, I really doubt it).
I would like this more if it had more ramp. There are tons of fatties in the deck.
I see quite a few people call this Eons of Evil 2.0 already. Can I ask why? I'm not seeing it besides maybe off the small inclusion of Reanimate and a couple of other similar cards. Otherwise, the two decks don't seem comparable at all.
If anything, it's closer to scales of fury but it sacrifices all the haste giving for better removal.

This deck will be all right,  but it'll be a little slow to get going outside of some perfect opening draws. 

I think you could cut everything about 5 or 6 CMC there's enough there to beat down the opponent.  

Heavy on the multicolour cards would get the most out of 2x Ashenmoor Liege,  giving +2/+2 to the likes of  3 xAshenmoor Gouger, 2 x Avatar of Discord, and 4 x Demigod of Revenge

That plus 3 x Terminate,  2 x  Blightning and 2 xBituminous Blast, people are in for pain.

Dont forget the vibe Avatar of Discord gives either. Did someone say Hidden Horror? I was quite noob about Magic when first Duels was released, Eons was my favorite deck after 2nd expansion and some cards like that stays in your mind forever. This may be such a case.
Yeah, I see the similarities between Avatar of Discord and Hidden Horror, but everything else is just... a stretch I guess. I mean Eons of Evil was slow and clunky, and you were discarding fatties into the 'yard to hopefully bring back with Zombify. When you couldn't, you were frantically digging through your library with looters, choosing what you needed for the situation eventually hardcasting the fatties. That entire aspect is missing from this Rakdos list. Only a few copies of a discard outlet, few copies of the reanimation spell, heck your best discard creature reanimates for you when you cast another one. I just think people are really stretching that Eons of Evil naming when in general, the two will play nothing alike.
Yeah, I see the similarities between Avatar of Discord and Hidden Horror, but everything else is just... a stretch I guess. I mean Eons of Evil was slow and clunky, and you were discarding fatties into the 'yard to hopefully bring back with Zombify. When you couldn't, you were frantically digging through your library with looters, choosing what you needed for the situation eventually hardcasting the fatties. That entire aspect is missing from this Rakdos list. Only a few copies of a discard outlet, few copies of the reanimation spell, heck your best discard creature reanimates for you when you cast another one. I just think people are really stretching that Eons of Evil naming when in general, the two will play nothing alike.

But this one seems to be way to stronger: Like a fixed version of Aeons and the Sarkan Volan 09 Deck. You got your early defense in all the rats, discards and terminates. Your bigger Swippers like  the worm. And then you got your bombs like the titan and the djins.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Honestly, it has good cards, but I don't really see a whole lot of synergy besides some discard and enters the graveyard effects. Hellbent isn't the best mechanic, but it would make for some interesting gameplay. 

Regardless, I'll still play it and I assume it will be very good. 
I think this deck will be very good.  Not very synergistic, but who needs synergy when you've got goodstuff.dec.  Lots of ways to generate early card advantage, Blightning is brutal, and there's tons of creature removal and deathtouch creatures to take care of your opponent's threats.  

I too don't see the similarity with Eons of Evil - it has a completely different playstyle 
Maybe people have a different idea on editing this deck than I do. I was initially thinking my list would look something like this:

And nothing about this really reminds me of Eons of Evil.
Maybe people have a different idea on editing this deck than I do. I was initially thinking my list would look something like this:

And nothing about this really reminds me of Eons of Evil.

That is pretty much how I thought I would edit the deck.   Great midrange beatdown.
Wow, pretty good mana curve you got there Brodo.
Yea honestly s'long as the deck is playable and not complete a$$ Im gonna be running this, black and red are my two favortie colors so this was a natural pick for me.
Is it just me or does this deck make liliana's deck look weak and stupid?

3 months of waiting...
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Rakdos Vs Nefarox who wins in a lore fight?