D13 Expansion 1 - Izzet's "Mindstorms" Decklist & Unlocks

975 posts / 0 new
Last post

Decklist for Izzet's "Mindstorms",
found inside the game files, so it may not be final.

The Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Expansion features five new two-color decks as well as additional Campaign content.
Take on your opponents with new two-color decks that correspond to the Azorius, Golgari, Izzet, Rakdos, and Selesnya guilds.

Mindstorms
2 x Lightning Elemental
1 x Niv-mizzet, the Firemind
3 x Wee Dragonauts
2 x Arc Lightning
1 x Schismotivate
3 x Petrahydrox
1 x Invoke The Firemind
2 x Electrolyze
2 x Spellbound Dragon
1 x Volcanic Geyser
1 x Mana Leak
1 x Beacon Of Destruction
1 x Reverberate
2 x Prophetic Bolt
3 x Compulsive Research
1 x Dominus Of Fealty
1 x Djinn Of Wishes
2 x Thunder Strike
2 x Steamcore Weird
1 x Living Inferno
2 x Razorfin Hunter
4 x Terramorphic Expanse

Unlocks
1 x Living Inferno
2 x Izzet Chronarch
1 x Wee Dragonauts
2 x Volcanic Geyser
3 x Breaking Point
2 x Wand Of The Elements
1 x Insurrection
2 x Thunder Dragon
1 x Quicksilver Dagger
1 x Sphinx Of Jwar Isle
1 x Prophetic Bolt
2 x Mana Leak
1 x Conquering Manticore
1 x Invoke The Firemind
1 x Puca's Mischief
1 x Arc Lightning
1 x Act Of Treason
1 x Time Warp
1 x Tidings
1 x Steamcore Weird
1 x Hoard-smelter Dragon
1 x Dominus Of Fealty
1 x Mindwrack Liege

Promo Unlocks
1 x Gelectrode
1 x Cerebral Vortex
1 x Jester's Cap
1 x Quicksilver Dagger
1 x Time Warp
1 x Thunder Dragon
1 x Act Of Treason
1 x Spellbound Dragon
1 x Conquering Manticore
1 x Sphinx Of Magosi

I like this one so far. Thanks for the list
This deck is what Cloudburst should've been.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Ok, the construction of this deck make no sense to me in comparision to the other decks.  Why only 1 x Gelectrode?

Though this is a vast improvement on Cloudburst.   Counter burn not those silly hasty guys. 
My first impression is probably wrong but--just reading through this it seems like a bit of an unfocused mess compared to all the other decks. Should keep opponents a bit off balance at least, though.

Thanks for posting these spoilers btw, great work and great presentation, this is awesome.
Thanks WotC, for finally making this deck right. I think I'm in love.

Ok, the construction of this deck make no sense to me in comparision to the other decks.  Why only 1 x Gelectrode?

Though this is a vast improvement on Cloudburst.   Counter burn not those silly hasty guys. 

Because in this deck Gelectrode will be the broken card it is. More of him would make this deck OP.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

quicksilver dagger
Nice. This deck will definitely be at the top of my list for unlocking first. Kind of wish I happened looked at the list because it ruins the surprise, but I just had to see if they did u/r justice, or if they made another cloudburst. I was pleasantly surprised thoguh Smile
Although it is indeed an improvement over Cloudburst, I don't see it hold it's own against the other 2013 decks. Hell, I even doubt it would be top tier in 2012.
4 or 3 x Gelectrode will all the removal in this format would seem fine to me.  I think it's a pretty balanced card.

All the decks seem to get 4 x of their "staples"  and I would think Gelectrode would be one of this deck's staples.  the aura deck has 4x Kor Spiritdancer for example,  Ajani has 4x Pridemate etc, etc.  I just just confused because i thought i saw a pattern, but I guess I was wrong.  Frown
Although it is indeed an improvement over Cloudburst, I don't see it hold it's own against the other 2013 decks. Hell, I even doubt it would be top tier in 2012.

Yeah you easy win very fast or get crushed by weenie decks. I could see it being good against Garruk and Lili. This decks certainly likes slow opponents with big creatures which it can steal.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

4 or 3 x Gelectrode will all the removal in this format would seem fine to me.  I think it's a pretty balanced card.

All the decks seem to get 4 x of their "staples"  and I would think Gelectrode would be one of this deck's staples.  the aura deck has 4x Kor Spiritdancer for example,  Ajani has 4x Pridemate etc, etc.  I just just confused because i thought i saw a pattern, but I guess I was wrong.  

Mark my words, this deck will win EVERY time Gelectrode stays alive. With Mana Leak and all the card draw and the direct damage, I'm pretty confident in this deck.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

yay red blue is here again - can't really get a feel for how it will fare at the moment but I'm pleased to see it's in the next xpack

edit: wow this deck has almost no turn 1/2 plays, that's concerning

Only razorfin hunter as an early play (turn one will be terramorphic expanse) - PLEASE Stainless/Wizards edit this deck - it definitely needs 2 drop creatures - think about targets for all those copies of daggers you've included - turn 1 expanse, turn 2 crit, turn 3 dagger - come on guys it's not too late to edit this and it NEEDS 2 drops
Yes yes yes yesss the world will tremble to counter burn muahahah

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

Don't think I'm feeling this deck
1 x Niv-mizzet, the Firemind

Anyway, the only Gelectrode is a promotional unlock and I'm a bit confused about what makes the "counter" in this particular counterburn deck. Three mana leaks and a Reverberate?
Still excited, looks fun at first glance.
Less super expensive spells and more 1/2 mana spells please - as cool as living inferno is, this deck will have won or lost by the time it gets to 8 lands - same goes for some of these other huge fliers, there's loads of them - how is this deck going to have a chance against the fully unlocked goblins or soldiers decks, they'd eat it alive
It's beautiful. Forget all the other decks. I'll be playing this one almost exclusively.
This has the potential to be devastating in 2HG, even more so than Celestial Light. All you need is your teammate to protect you through the early stages, and you can unleash the power of awesome during the end game. One on one, though, I'm not too sure about it.
COmapred to all the other decks, this is terrible. It's miles better than cloudburst, but this deck isn still an unfocused mess. That dosen;t mean I won't beat up on jace players for the lulz, but this deck is a good candidate for bottom tier. SoS was pretty good after the expansion though, so this is probably still playable.
To all those saying this is miles better than cloudburst, I strongly disagree - cloudburst was much better than this and IMO it's only shortfall was a lack of card draw, with some very minor tweaking that deck would have been awesome - it was quite playable anyway

This new deck is fundamentally weak and people simply won't use it, which saddens me because it's in my 2 favourite colours - the other 4 decks are good tho - so I give the xpack 4/5 stars 
I still like the original Root of the Firemind the most. My two favorite colors, but this is average at best...

Was really hoping for a U/R flashback deck with Burning Vengeance, Secrets of the Dead,Think Twice etc...

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Maybe I just suck at this (most likely) but I don't see why this deck is so much better than Cloudburst. Anyone care to shed some light as to how this could be played in a far superior way than Cloudburst did?

On another matter, would and Niv-mizzet The Firemind be a great combo?  You would still do 1 damage and draw a card after all, right? you kinda just reiterate his ability, or am I getting it wrong?
i'm a bit confused what's the difference between unlocks and promotional unlocks?
Quicksilver Dagger's ability would do one damage and draw a card, and then Niv-Mizzet would trigger and do another point of damage.
Sounds good, but if you just put the dagger on a different creature, you could still tap Niv and get an additional card and point of damage.
Maybe I just suck at this (most likely) but I don't see why this deck is so much better than Cloudburst. Anyone care to shed some light as to how this could be played in a far superior way than Cloudburst did?

On another matter, would and Niv-mizzet The Firemind be a great combo?  You would still do 1 damage and draw a card after all, right? you kinda just reiterate his ability, or am I getting it wrong?

The draw effect from Quicksilver Dagger only comes into play when its ability is used, not when the enchanted creature deals damage.

@ Diek
This deck isn't better than cloudburst, I think they saw some of the eye candy spells and formed an opinion based on that

no Niv and curiousity is the insta won combo

There aren't many good targets for the dagger, which makes me wonder why they have 3 copies! Frown It needs cheap weenies to target because it makes no sense to play it on a big flier or a gelectrode

@ Kryplixx
Flashback would have been great since we've just had a whole set built around the ability - it would've been even funnier with red & blue unearthing creatures too
Thanks for your replies guys. It looks a bit messy as other have pointed out. Guess we'll have to wait to test it out as well. Hate all this waiting! Oh, and I also wish they could've thought of additional cards instead of using 60% of dotp 12 again.
Is anyone going to answer in to what's the difference between unlocks and promotional unlocks?
Normal unlocks are available to all. Promotional unlocks are most likely gained in promotional events, meaning I won't be seeing any of them.

Edit: This deck has some really nice stuff. Breaking Point looks fantastic, especially if you manage to burn your opponent for it to matter.
However, the mana curve is just wrong. There's a lot of flashy high-cost stuff and no way to protect them.
Normal unlocks are available to all. Promotional unlocks are most likely gained in promotional events, meaning I won't be seeing any of them.

Edit: This deck has some really nice stuff. Breaking Point looks fantastic, especially if you manage to burn your opponent for it to matter.
However, the mana curve is just wrong. There's a lot of flashy high-cost stuff and no way to protect them.

I'm not going to lie that's ridiculous. There's people that play this game that are not near a store, I myself like about an hour away from the nearest store. I really hope this isn't the case or make it to where people who can't attend to an event get it another way. 

to everybody saying that gelectrode should be the core of the deck, you should probably get your mind away from that thinking if you want to be able to appreciate this deck for what it is. What is there 4 copies of that could possibly form the core of this deck? that's right, Wee Dragonauts.

So perhaps people should start thinking about how you'd build around this card. That's what I'd do.

I have a list that I have down to 64 cards, of what I think an optimal build of this deck may look a bit like:

1x 
4x Wee Dragonauts  
3x arc lightning
1x schismotivate
2x petrahydrox  
2x electrolyze 
1x reverberate 
3x prophetic bolt
2x spellbound dragon  
2x steamcore weird  
2x razorfin hunter
4x terramorphic expanse
2x conquering manticore
2x 
1x sphinx of magosi
1x
2x
2x

0 1 2  3   4  5 6
4 0 7 15  4  8 4

Maybe I'm way off the mark (I probably am), but I think this deck would revolve around smashing face with dragonauts and spelldragons. This build doesn't really suit niv mizzet, but I think he still has a place here.

Well it's definitely better than Cloudburst, as said, and I do wish it had more Gelectrode (my favorite card ever printed). Either way I'm definitely going to be running this deck. I love Goblins, and I love Purple decks, so I'm ecstatic that they have both in this game now. I like fun over winning, so being able to play this deck in a 4way planechase... priceless. Can't wait for the DLC to hit, I'll buy it day one. 

But seriously, WHAT ARE PROMO CARDS? 
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Promo unlocks are probably the Expansion 1 unlocks. Not really relevant to this deck, but the core game decks will have 10 "promo" unlocks when you buy the expansion.
Why differentiate between normal unlocks and expansion 1 unlocks when the whole deck is released with Exp1?
If that is the case, cool. I'll be able to run my single Gelectrode even if it's not useful at all.
I don't get why there's only 1 Gelectrode when you've got 2-3 copies of most of the large creatures. Aside from that, I do like the looks of this deck. Not sure what to make of all the Breaking Points though.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White
I absolutely love it, megamaster125. The more the better. It's a fantastic card that I will run in my deck no matter what, simply because of how it works. You're in a 4 way, everyone is decently set up, play the card and someone is taking 6 damage. Then take into account the mindgames where some are thinking, "Surely someone will take the damage, so I wont" and the times where they all think that and it board wipes. 

I love it.  
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Jester's Cap, finally some gravyard exiling I approve of this deck just for that card.
Lets see if we can finally get a blue/red deck that doesn't suck. Not gonna hold my breath, but ill prolly play it anyway.
Jester's Cap, finally some gravyard exiling I approve of this deck just for that card.

Re-read the card bro, it's much better than a graveyard exiler. 
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I know i can't say much without playing this deck but this looks byfar the weakest deck of this game, no Kiln Fiends, no gelectrodes, i really hope i'm wrong.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!