D13 Expansion 1 - Golgari's "Sepulchral Strength" Decklist & Unlocks

775 posts / 0 new
Last post

Decklist for Golgari's "Sepulchral Strength",
found inside the game files, so it may not be final.

The Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Expansion features five new two-color decks as well as additional Campaign content.
Take on your opponents with new two-color decks that correspond to the Azorius, Golgari, Izzet, Rakdos, and Selesnya guilds.

Sepulchral Strength
3 x Vulturous Zombie
2 x Mortivore
2 x Ravenous Rats
1 x Pernicious Deed
2 x Drooling Groodion
1 x Death Mutation
2 x Consume Strength
2 x Mind Rot
1 x Greater Good
1 x Grave Pact
2 x Abyssal Gatekeeper
1 x Dark Heart Of The Wood
1 x Spore Frog
2 x Maelstrom Pulse
1 x Spiritmonger
1 x Troll Ascetic
1 x Creakwood Liege
1 x Sewer Nemesis
3 x Yavimaya Elder
2 x Blood Artist
1 x Golgari Germination
1 x Bloodflow Connoisseur
2 x Viridian Emissary
4 x Evolving Wilds

Unlocks
1 x Spiritmonger
2 x Master Of The Wild Hunt
1 x Rancor
1 x Yavimaya Elder
3 x Go For The Throat
1 x Mitotic Slime
2 x Bellowing Tanglewurm
2 x Oracle Of Mul Daya
1 x Creakwood Liege
2 x Diabolic Edict
2 x Scute Mob
2 x Lord Of Extinction
2 x Pelakka Wurm
1 x Bloodflow Connoisseur
1 x Greater Good
1 x Asceticism
1 x Penumbra Wurm
1 x Sewer Nemesis
1 x Troll Ascetic
1 x Yavimaya Dryad
1 x Gleancrawler

Promo Unlocks
1 x Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
1 x Mitotic Slime
1 x Go For The Throat
1 x Defense Of The Heart
1 x Rancor
1 x Troll Ascetic
1 x Cabal Patriarch
1 x Consuming Vapors
1 x Pernicious Deed
1 x Damnation

Greater Good. I immediately want this.
Deed and Spiritmonger, brings back good memories from the Invasion block.

And can someone explain to me how do the Promo Unlocks work?  
Looks really interesting!
I'm liking it!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Super excited for these decks. Especially cannot wait for the Izzet deck (and hoping they don't ruin it like they did with Ral).
This deck is so broken with promotional unlocks.

Defense of the Heart?!!?!!!????? with all the fatties in this deck.  I thought Wizards threw that cards in fire and pretend like they never printed that card. 

edit: I also want to know the thought process that went into the development of Spiritmonger

Let's have a 6/6 regenerating creature that gets bigger for 5 CMC with no drawbacks.  O.o

So much control, good quality creatures, this deck has it all.
edit: I also want to know the thought process that went into the development of Spiritmonger

Let's have a 6/6 regenerating creature that gets bigger for 5 CMC with no drawbacks.  O.o

The craziest thing is that this creature came out 12 years ago.  Think about all the power creep we've had and imagine this thing 12 years ago.

The lack of evasion is the drawback here. Compare this to Primeval Titan and answer who's the broken card.  The creatures got MUCH better in those 12 years.

About the deck, I really love how this is the perfect counter to the auras deck.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

The lack of evasion is the drawback here. Compare this to Primeval Titan and answer who's the broken card.  The creatures got MUCH better in those 12 years.

About the deck, I really love how this is the perfect counter to the auras deck.

It regenerates, so I think that makes it a little harder to kill if you don't mind playing it with 6 lands.  I agree, it doesn't effect the board immediately like the Titans, but damn if it isn't cost efficient.

And yes, good to see Diabolic Edict and other sac effects.    A this rate the GW will have Sigurda.
just glancing at it this looks like a pretty good deck - some nice synergies going on - these deck designers have done a good job

Some of my favourite commander cards in here too - I had a Ghave commander deck   and I'm fond of Mr Mouldy; he's a fungi
Looks strong. Lots of hexproof dudes. Dont know how you would deal with it. Except for Sweepers. But then you got a lot of creatures who want to die or cards who get stronger by big gravesyards. I can already see the ***** (creature who gets his str and toughness from cards in all graveyards) unlook for the 2- 3rd Expansion.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

This deck seems extremely strong. I like that you can go a heavy token route, giving you a lot of bodies to work with to abuse some of the other cards in the list in addition to some sacrifice outlets, or you can just make this a very efficient "rock" deck by loading up on dudes like Troll Ascetic and Spiritmonger to beat face while you disrupt the opponent with the nice selection of control spells.
This is the boss deck of Expansion 1, and it is boss-like indeed.

I think this is more Eons of Evil like in terms of awesomeness than the  deck.
Ah, i want allways a green - black deck and this one fit very well.  Ramp, fatties, removal and buffs are very nice
Black/Green is a fantastic combination, as I have seen pairing Garruk/Lilliana in 2HG. Almost every one of my favorite cards are in here. This will most definately be my main for ranked 1v1.
Probably the best overall deck. At least on paper.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Greaaat deck. Looking forward to green black, which is not tribal.
Compared this deck to the Izzet deck - 
it's patently ridiculous.

Golgari gets the most powerful BG stuff, and then for good measure gets powerful green stuff thrown in and powerful black stuff!

Izzet gets crappy UR stuff (the good stuff it only gets one of), has a terrible mana curve, and then it gets crappy blue stuff and underpowered red stuff.

Were these  guild decks looked at by ANYbody before finalized and released (on-disc DLC form)?
Double rancor? I'm sold on that alone
I was a fan of Scales of Fury because of it's midrange rock-like nature but this deck absolutely murders that deck.  

T3 Troll, T4 Master of Wild Hunt/ Oracle/ Creakwood Liege, T5 Spiritmonger/Lord of Extinction, that is an excellent curve.

Just stick Rancor on a Troll or Spiritmonger and remove everything in the way. 
Yeah, totally loving Spiritmonger.
This is a really good deck.
I don't understand why Sisters of Stone Death and Savra, Queen of the Golgari aren't in this deck. It could definitely use some more guild leader flavor (and I want more elves).
Probably because Sisters of Stone Death is pretty terrible in comparison to the other creatures in this deck.

Also Pernicious Deed and Maelstrom Pulse are going to be amazing for this meta.

This dexk is missing nothing, I think it has answers to just about everything.
Surprised they didn't throw in Putrid Leech for good measure.
You know...This may be silly, but ...

I'm actually looking forward to using Spiritmonger's colour change ability because Duels will actually change the colour of the card to correspond.
Haha, I actually really love that about digital Magic. I noticed it on some MTGO videos when people played with Spiritmonger. It's really cool to visually see it. Same with the Rise from the Grave already in the game.
Is it just me(maybe Im late to the party) but that spirit monger seems...... a lil silly. I mean a 6/6 for 5 mana isn't half bad, then regen and color change? Damn. Then toss in the whole adding +1/+1 whenever he hurts another creature and Im actually a lil worried bout this card I can't lie.
Is it just me(maybe Im late to the party) but that spirit monger seems...... a lil silly. I mean a 6/6 for 5 mana isn't half bad, then regen and color change? Damn. Then toss in the whole adding +1/+1 whenever he hurts another creature and Im actually a lil worried bout this card I can't lie.

Spiritmonger: 6/6 Regen (suvival), colour change (generally not useful) "Vampire" (awesome with regen) for 3.
Baneslayer Angel: 5/5 Flying (evasion), First Strike (survival), Lifelink (awesome on it's own, to say nothing of with Flying/First Strike), Pro Dragons/Demons (generally not useful) for 3

The key difference:

Baneslayer Angel can appear and be a dominant factor in ANY White deck.
Spiritmonger requires 2 colours that are comparitively rare together. It's only going to appear in a niche deck.
If it's cost was in black/green dual mana it would be ridiculous....
Thank God there are only 2 copies of that card then, ill just be saving all my "destroy target creature it can't be regenerated" cards for this sucker.

The thought process was "Hey, it turns out that any creature without some kind of evasion isn't overpowered regardless of how big it is or what else it does."   

And they were right.   Spiritmonger is a very good card but in no way broken.  

The thought process was "Hey, it turns out that any creature without some kind of evasion isn't overpowered regardless of how big it is or what else it does."   

And they were right.   Spiritmonger is a very good card but in no way broken.  

I was only being mildy facetious.     

Though your statement has a lot of holes.   I believe 80% of the Titans fall under the category you described.   >.>

#Iknowwhatyou'retryingtosay

Isn't it annoying when people take the most literal interpretation of your statement and throw it back at you?
Me and this deck are going to have a love/hate relationship. Ah, but it would have been the same with Dredge.
Me and this deck are going to have a love/hate relationship. Ah, but it would have been the same with Dredge.

I feel the same. Too bad it didn't turn out to be dredge. Hopefully that returns in RtR.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is dredge?

It's a graveyard mechanic.  

Dredge decks are about dumping things into your graveyard and playing them from there. 

Basicaly, one of the most broken mechanics ever printed by Wizards. Dredge reads like this:

Dredge X (If you would draw a card, instead you may put exactly X cards from the top of your library into your graveyard. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)

Here are some examples:

Golgari Grave-Troll

Life from the Loam

Necroplasm

It was the keyword mechanic of the Golgari guild, the G/B guild of the original Ravnica block. The Golgari were featured in the first set of the block, Ravnica: City of Guilds.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

SO FULL OF GOOD

Man, it's going to hurt to cut this thing down.  I thought the Rakdos deck looked good, but man, this one's just nuts! 
Damn, that sounds pretty scummy, so you mean the creatures can never die then? Wow, good **** wizard, lets hope that doesn't make it into this game.
No but you can mill yourself if you do it too much.   Though Golgari Grave-Troll was completely broken, as is pumped itself each time the enemy killed it.
I hope they change the art for spiritmonger - it's such a good card that it's art deserves an update. One thing I like about 2013 that hasnt really been mentioned is the new art on many of the cards - they've done some really nice work in this area. I particularly like what they did with diabolic edict - the new art looks so much eviler and sinister I think
I hope they change the art for spiritmonger - it's such a good card that it's art deserves an update. One thing I like about 2013 that hasnt really been mentioned is the new art on many of the cards - they've done some really nice work in this area. I particularly like what they did with diabolic edict - the new art looks so much eviler and sinister I think

Those "new" arts are from MTGO cube. We don't have new arts in DotP

Sign In to post comments