(Post M13) Mono White Lifegain deck (Budget-ish)

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, M13 is just around the corner and I noticed that there's gonna be new Ajani and also there's rhox faithmender. I fell in love with them instantly! I thought: "with rhox, lifegain deck would be sick!" I looked up for some lifegain cards in Innistrad block mainly but I also checked Scars and M12 since there weren't enough in Innistrad only. I'm also very keen to give chalice of life a try. When it's flipped it can destroy your enemy in few turns (not to mention if there are more than one on the battlefield). 

I've tried this deck in paper version with my friends and it seems to work pretty nice. Unfortunately it had few problems. It's SLOW but small lifegain guys give me time to get the big ones out.Lifegain creatures alone are not enough to finish off my opponent so I needed some high cost bombs in there that would do the job for them but I still need to look into them since there are definitely better options for this kind of deck, I just haven't figured them out yet. Sometimes small guys are enough to get my Chalice transformed but I can't rely on them too much.  Also, Chalice does it pretty damn good too but it's super vulnerable to any artifact removal.

This is the first prototype of this deck. There will be changes since we don't fully know what's coming in M13.

LANDS: 23

Creatures: 23

Artifacts: 7

Sorceries: 2

Enchantments: 3

Planeswalkers: 2

SIDEBOARD: unknown

That's that. Thoughts? Advice? Anything? :D I know this isn't going to be anything in higher level of competition but I think it might be worht a try in my local FNM. Remember that I cannot afford the most expensive mythic rare guys. 

Thanks in advance! 

Theres a 2/2 lifelink cat creature in m13, Ajani's Sunstriker, for WW. I would definitely put that in. I want to make a deck using some of the same cards you're using, so i'm in the same boat. Also if you are going with a lifegain aspect, why not add in Serra Avatar, since they are bringing that back as well. seems better overall than some of the high cost angels you have. persoanlly I think i am going to have a couple Emancipation Angels in my build, since its cheap and its drawback isnt that desvastating. Restoration Angel is also another good angel option, though it is getting sort of pricey these days unfortunately. Also there is a card in m13, Faith's Reward, 3W, which could prove worthy of consideration. (You return all permanents put into the GY this turn). I'm also hoping for some more lifelink cards to be spoiled so I have more stuff to add in and everything. Keep me posted about this topic if you hear of more things.

EDIT: Also look into Healer of the Pride in m13. 3W, and whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control you gain 2 life.
Batterskull is a good option, and shouldn't be too expensive since it's rotating soon. Glimmerpost would help a little, possibly more than Seraph Sanctuary, especially since I'd advise cutting some of your angels anyway. Angel of Jubilation might as well just be Honor of the Pure. Pristine Talisman competes for the same spot as Chalice of Life, but is worth considering. Scroll of Avacyn is interesting, probably the biggest motivation I would have for including any angels at all. I know it's outside of your budget, but Wurmcoil Engine would really help this deck. Maybe try trading for it. I'd want a fourth Faithmender too, because you'll probably always want to draw him, and he's good in multiples (two of them quadruple your life gain).
Theres a 2/2 lifelink cat creature in m13, Ajani's Sunstriker, for WW. I would definitely put that in. I want to make a deck using some of the same cards you're using, so i'm in the same boat. Also if you are going with a lifegain aspect, why not add in Serra Avatar, since they are bringing that back as well. seems better overall than some of the high cost angels you have. persoanlly I think i am going to have a couple Emancipation Angels in my build, since its cheap and its drawback isnt that desvastating. Restoration Angel is also another good angel option, though it is getting sort of pricey these days unfortunately. Also there is a card in m13, Faith's Reward, which could prove worthy of consideration. (You return all creatures put into the GY this turn). I'm also hoping for some more lifelink cards to be spoiled so I have more stuff to add in and everything. Keep me posted about this topic if you hear of more things.

Emancipation Angel's drawback is actually kind of nice if you have a Cathedral Sanctifier to recycle. Or changing Nearheath Pilgrim's soulbond. Having Suture Priest out at that point would be good too. Same applies for flickering with Restoration Angel.
Theres a 2/2 lifelink cat creature in m13, Ajani's Sunstriker, for WW. I would definitely put that in. I want to make a deck using some of the same cards you're using, so i'm in the same boat. Also if you are going with a lifegain aspect, why not add in Serra Avatar, since they are bringing that back as well. seems better overall than some of the high cost angels you have. persoanlly I think i am going to have a couple Emancipation Angels in my build, since its cheap and its drawback isnt that desvastating. Restoration Angel is also another good angel option, though it is getting sort of pricey these days unfortunately. Also there is a card in m13, Faith's Reward, which could prove worthy of consideration. (You return all creatures put into the GY this turn). I'm also hoping for some more lifelink cards to be spoiled so I have more stuff to add in and everything. Keep me posted about this topic if you hear of more things.

Emancipation Angel's drawback is actually kind of nice if you have a Cathedral Sanctifier to recycle. Or changing Nearheath Pilgrim's soulbond. Having Suture Priest out at that point would be good too. Same applies for flickering with Restoration Angel.

There we go. I didnt even think of that aspect of using it. Even better.
There are some artifacts that help out this type of deck a lot too.

pristine talisman
unwinding clock
druidic satchel
norn's annex

There are some nice instants/sorceries as well - whitesun's passage comes to mind off the top of my head.

If you are going to use restoration angel then you should look at goldnight redeemer as well.

It's a race to 30 life so that the cups turn into beatsticks and then it's over shortly there after.

pristine talisman
unwinding clock
druidic satchel
norn's annex

There are some nice instants/sorceries as well - whitesun's passage comes to mind off the top of my head.

If you are going to use restoration angel then you should look at goldnight redeemer as well.

It's a race to 30 life so that the cups turn into beatsticks and then it's over shortly there after.

Why should he look at goldnight redeemer if he's using restoration angel?
So many good advice in so little time! Love you guys :DD
I'm so sad that I can't get those great mythic rares :/ Wurmcoil Engine and Batterskull would kick ass in this deck..

Yeah, I'd like to keep this Angel themed because of the scrolls Extra cards are never bad right? (+ 5 life of course)

Emancipation Angel seems to fit in this deck reasonably well. Turn three angel with Scroll of Avacyn and returning Catherdal Sancifier to my hand would be pretty neat! I think I'm probably going to replace Seraph of Dawn with her.

I have 2x Goldnight Redeemer but I fear I will not have enough creatures on the battlefield to have use for her. I think every other source of life is enough without her. She's still super good I admit that

I had a look at Pristine Talisman, that's be quite good to get some ramp to my angels. Also, extra life is never bad.

If I took Unwinding Clock in, I'd take only one right? Two of them would be kinda useless.. Dunno which cards to replace though

Are there any other good Angels or other 5 mana guys for this deck than Herald of War. I feel her ability gets useless since I don't have that many high cost angels than Glory's rise.

I can put Angel of Jubilation in the sideboard if she feels useless but I think she's just good all around buffer. Also it locks black sacrifice decks

Lastly, should I replace Pride Guardian with two more Suture Priest? I think Guardians are great life sources in early game but having more priests help me burn my enemy too. Priests also ruin token decks pretty hard.. At least it should :D

pristine talisman
unwinding clock
druidic satchel
norn's annex

are you reading the cards?  its for the reuse on the CIP ability on the redeemer, of course.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Even though it doesn't have lifelink on it's own, doomed traveller is a pretty good fit here. T1 traveller into t2 pilgrim is a great aggro start that can give you some of the early game you're looking for. Which brings another thought to mind: why only 3 pilgrims?
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Even though it doesn't have lifelink on it's own, doomed traveller is a pretty good fit here. T1 traveller into t2 pilgrim is a great aggro start that can give you some of the early game you're looking for. Which brings another thought to mind: why only 3 pilgrims?

Needed room for other guys so I thought it wouldn't hurt too much to take one out. I think doomed traveller isn't really that good. Instead I want to pump my life up for Chalice. This is not supposed to be aggro deck. More like "get some life early for more time to get big guys and chalice out" type of deck. If I put in little guys, I want them to give me life. Also I have other guys that buff up my little guys to make them more beefy. Especially ones with good abilities.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; margin:8px">The problem with that strategy is you're basically waiting the entire game for your life total to reach 30. What happens if you don't do that? As a regular RDW player, I can tell you with reasonable certainty that I can race you, and I'm not even the fastest deck in the format. You yourself commented on how slow your starts are. The reason they are slow is because you aren't actually doing very much until around turn 4.

Don't get me wrong, here. I think we will see some white life gain this summer. But I think you will need to take a more pro-active approach to make it work. The format is just too fast right now.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
I would say instead of Unwinding Clock (which would be awesome if you had a TON of artifacts) at 4cmc, you might use Safe Passage (m13) at 3 cmc... It's essentially what you are looking for, another turn for your Chalices, and it has more flexibility. 

You don't have enough humans to make Angel of Glory's Rise especially effective at 7 mana. (Perhaps just IMO, since i hate that card in anything but a purely human deck.)

Angel of Jubilation doesn't do enough at 4 mana to be used unless your opponent is playing pod, or lots of phyrexian mana.  The Emancipation Angels do make more sense here.  Even the Seraph of Dawn can do more with 4 toughness, especially if you run a few instant pumps, Zealous Strike for instance. 

pristine talisman
unwinding clock
druidic satchel
norn's annex

are you reading the cards?  its for the reuse on the CIP ability on the redeemer, of course.

restoration angel specifies non-angel targets to be flickered, making goldnight redeemer an invalid target.

In more relevance to the deck, isn't there going to be a creature that's basically a "soul sister" but you gain 2 life for each creature?  I think he's like a 2/2 for 4 or something, but paired with suture priest, you could basically bring back the "soul sisters" deck...
How about a True Conviction?  That's a $1-$2 card that would give your creatures more punch and give everything lifelink.

pristine talisman
unwinding clock
druidic satchel
norn's annex

Someone already pointed out your error.  Cloudshift would be better if you're interested in abusing redeemer.  If he were to go that route, I would suggest a lot of token makers, which also works well with suture priest.

Updated Decklist:

LANDS: 

Creatures: 22

Instants: 2

Artifacts: 9

Enchantments: 4

SIDEBOARD: unknown

I added few cards there that make more sense.

I'll still have look for the big bombs like Wurmcoil and Batterskull after M13 pre-release. I might get myself something tradeworthy But for now the deck looks like this. Feel free to give more advice and suggestions.

Not much advice about adding cards except to suggest Divine Offering for your sideboard, but two that have already been mentioned, Serra Avatar (a mythic) and Ajani's Sunstriker, are in the 6-card booster that you get free if you buy Duels of the Planeswalkers for the PC or iPad.  In case you were considering getting that.
Would it be better to abuse suture priest's ability to the fullest and go token/lifegain deck? There, on the other hand, Ajani would be quite useless though.. Now I don't know if I should keep it Angel themed or not

Elspeth Tirel would be amazing in token/lifegain deck but she rotates out soon.. 
Would it be better to abuse suture priest's ability to the fullest and go token/lifegain deck? There, on the other hand, Ajani would be quite useless though.. Now I don't know if I should keep it Angel themed or not

Elspeth Tirel would be amazing in token/lifegain deck but she rotates out soon.. 

I don't think he'd become useless, I mean, if you slap someone in the face with his ult, that's pretty damn token themed if you ask me.

Maybe not straight token themed, but maybe throw some flicker (cloudshift/conjurer's closet to stay on color) in there for some of your EtB life effects, then you really could use goldnight redeemer or the like.

I don't know... just kind of spit-ballin' here...

I think you'd really be stretching it to try and throw a token strategy in with a lifegain strategy.  Maybe a couple Midnight Haunting in the sideboard as surprise blockers against a token deck...I really love Suture Priest and it's a very fun card to abuse, but you have to remember that red and black have very commonly used one drops to get rid of him at instant speed, so don't build around him.

Your deck seems fun, and it's sweet how crazy cheap all the cards are (except the planeswalkers obviously).  A couple Elspeths wouldn't be that hard on your budget tho, I've seen them for $7 or $8 each recently.
A slightly new approach to this deck...

LANDS: 23

CREATURES:14

INSTANTS: 5

SORCERIES: 2

ENCHANTMENTS: 7

ARTIFACTS: 7

PLANESWALKERS: 2

Now it has a little bit more synergy with creatures entering the battlefield and also gets more creatures on the battlefield for Goldnight Redeemer's and 
Elspeth Tirel's ability. I think it needs more specific cards in it like Angel of Jubilation or more Honor of the Pure to make my tokens more beefy. True Conviction on the other hand is more better with this setup.. I'm still uncertain of what cards to play exactly.

I second the option of playing with a full playset of Suture Priest, it's just so good. Vault Skirge isnt , but could do well here as a 2 drop. Whitesun's Passage a must for deck like this since it speeds up the Chalice really well. Since you running the priest, possibly goldnight and a slight token theme, you might want to consider adding in Shrine of Loyal Legions. It has potential in every mono build.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze you can also... [deck] 38 Relentless Rats 22 Swamp [/deck] =

I second the option of playing with a full playset of Suture Priest, it's just so good. Vault Skirge isnt , but could do well here as a 2 drop. Whitesun's Passage a must for deck like this since it speeds up the Chalice really well. Since you running the priest, possibly goldnight and a slight token theme, you might want to consider adding in Shrine of Loyal Legions. It has potential in every mono build.

Shame that Shrine of Loyal Legions only produces colorless tokens. I'd go better with Angel of Jubilation instead of Honor of the Pure if I took shrine in. Whitesun's Passage would be quite good though. I still don't know which cards to replace though... I like Elixir because I can shuffle my graveyard back to my library therefore "doubling" my dead cards. Whitesun on the other hand has that instant speed which is useful also... So hard to make decicions :D
Bump.

Anymore ideas? 
To get back any artifacts that may be destroyed, you could put a couple Buried Ruin in the sideboard.

I was bored at work the other day and started messing with your original list, keeping the Chalices, but splashed Green.

I also made what i believe would be more competitive and consistent (but expensive) version that gets rid of the Chalices and is more of a Green ramp deck that splashes White to gain card advantage by abusing Thragtusk.  That build would play much faster.  I'll post it if you're interested.
Go ahead I'm open to any ideas!
So, M13 is just around the corner and I noticed that there's gonna be new Ajani and also there's rhox faithmender. I fell in love with them instantly! I thought: "with rhox, lifegain deck would be sick!" I looked up for some lifegain cards in Innistrad block mainly but I also checked Scars and M12 since there weren't enough in Innistrad only. I'm also very keen to give chalice of life a try. When it's flipped it can destroy your enemy in few turns (not to mention if there are more than one on the battlefield). 

I've tried this deck in paper version with my friends and it seems to work pretty nice. Unfortunately it had few problems. It's SLOW but small lifegain guys give me time to get the big ones out.Lifegain creatures alone are not enough to finish off my opponent so I needed some high cost bombs in there that would do the job for them but I still need to look into them since there are definitely better options for this kind of deck, I just haven't figured them out yet. Sometimes small guys are enough to get my Chalice transformed but I can't rely on them too much.  Also, Chalice does it pretty damn good too but it's super vulnerable to any artifact removal.

This is the first prototype of this deck. There will be changes since we don't fully know what's coming in M13.

LANDS: 23

Creatures: 23

Artifacts: 7

Sorceries: 2

Enchantments: 3

SIDEBOARD: unknown

That's that. Thoughts? Advice? Anything? :D I know this isn't going to be anything in higher level of competition but I think it might be worht a try in my local FNM. Remember that I cannot afford the most expensive mythic rare guys. 

Thanks in advance! 

cut 2 plains and the seraph sanctuary for 4 glimmerpost. in addition, sorry to say but cards that solely gain life such as chalice of life just doesn't cut it.. i recommend pristine talisman as it can seriously ramp you up; how about splashing blue instead so that you can play 4 drogskol reaver instead as a win condition? draw a card everytime you gain life! 

cut 2 plains and the seraph sanctuary for 4 glimmerpost. in addition, sorry to say but cards that solely gain life such as chalice of life just doesn't cut it.. i recommend pristine talisman as it can seriously ramp you up; how about splashing blue instead so that you can play 4 drogskol reaver instead as a win condition? draw a card everytime you gain life! 

I'm sorry but that deck idea has been discarded. You'll find updated version of this deck in page 3.

Laughing
Everytime I see similar ideas to this I beam a smile.

I have to suggest Unwinding Clock for the Chalice mechanism - as soon as the chalice transforms, if Clock is out, it puts, naturally, your opponent on a very very short clock.

I run an extended version of this using Survival Cache and the like, but it works just as well here.

You might consider Norn's Annex to slow your opponent down until you can get things running, though, or Angelic Wall to stave off Delver. 
Norn's Annex really isn't all that effective...  unless you are playing a deck with no white in it and you have an Angel of Jubilation out.
I know you said you're on a budget, monsieur, but I feel like if you work towards a deck like this that it would be most effective.

The guy with the Unwinding Clock idea is basically a genius. It turns Chalice of death into a win condition and turns your wurmcoil/simulacrums into vigilaince fellas. Also, I know this type of build will be out in three months but I feel it would be a fun three months if you played it (;
This might not be the exact direction you are looking for but consider

The idea here is that suture priest/goldnight commander + relic warder + metamorph is a win (metamorph copying relic warder exiling itself is a loop that can gain you infinite life with priest or make your creatures huge with commander. The flicker effects also combine with priest/commander, the angel theme allows you to gain life and draw cards to find the combo with scroll.
=
The guy with the Unwinding Clock idea is basically a genius.

I wouldn't go that far.  That card's been out how long now? Haha

But srsly, why would you want 4 of them?  So many dead cards...

The idea here is that suture priest/goldnight commander + relic warder + metamorph is a win (metamorph copying relic warder exiling itself is a loop that can gain you infinite life with priest or make your creatures huge with commander. The flicker effects also combine with priest/commander, the angel theme allows you to gain life and draw cards to find the combo with scroll.

This deck is pretty close to being the most competative I have seen so far in this thread. Similar to the Soul Sisters 2.0 deck that was popular last summer. I would probably drop the 2 gideon's lawkeepers for a couple O-rings, and run a couple Buried Ruins so you can reuse the scrolls. I also feel like there is a better card than Serra Avenger... just not sure what it is at the moment. It is a fourth turn play no matter what, so you might consider running a 3rd Emancipation Angel and running another sweet 4 drop.. like, Sublime Archangel.

This deck is pretty close to being the most competative I have seen so far in this thread. Similar to the Soul Sisters 2.0 deck that was popular last summer. I would probably drop the 2 gideon's lawkeepers for a couple O-rings, and run a couple Buried Ruins so you can reuse the scrolls. I also feel like there is a better card than Serra Avenger... just not sure what it is at the moment. It is a fourth turn play no matter what, so you might consider running a 3rd Emancipation Angel and running another sweet 4 drop.. like, Sublime Archangel or even some swords.