Interesting Mechanics You Would Like to See (Again)

The last few months of 3e brought about some of the most innovative material of the whole edition. As such, I would like to see such creative ideas make a comeback in next. I think every class should have their own resource mechanic to truly differentiate them. So here are some mechanics (new and old) that I would like to see in next.

1) 3e Warlock: All At Will Spells
2) 3e Binder: A very flavorful and unique caster
3) ToB classes: Each one had a unique recovery method and a unique manuever list.
4) Mana points that recover slowly throughout the day.
5) encounter based fire and forget. Anyone who has crammed for a quiz in the 10 minutes between classes knows this makes more sense than daily Vancian.
6) Stamina points that recover during a short rest.
7) some sort of build op resource mechanic. Certain attacks/actions can build up the resource (rage, combo points, divine favor, etc). Then special maneuvers, spells, or actions can become available by spending 3+ of the built up resource.

Any other resource mechanics you would/would not like to see in next?

My 5e Homebrew Material

The Warblade: A Mythic Fighter

The Hero: A Modular Class

I'd like to see all powers become at-wills.
Now I know that burst powers are too powerful to be at-wills but not if a hit does as much damage as a single attack such as fire ball but evenly divided among targets in the burst area.

Even spells and feats that render an opponent helpless could be at-will as long as they are not also burst powers and the victim has many chances to save and break the helpless condition.

Example, "Hold Being" could hold a character or monster just once before it is automatically hit and takes a normal roll of damage. Then the spell or prayer is broken.

"Charm Being" the charmed opponent could get a saving throw everytime she hurts herself or hurts an ally to try to break out of the enchantment. That would make it an at-will power.

The healing mechanic could be that each character with his or her healing kit can just heal 1d8+wisdom modifier per standard action but make that an at-will ability.

Build up? How about giving everyone an additional standard action every 5 levels. Those actions can be used like currency. Instead of taking 2 actions, you take 1 action but do 2[w] damage. Of course, from 1st to 4th level, you can either do a reaction to defend yourself or you could do an action during your turn.
Hmmm.... I would want to see a reworkd system for Action Points and milestones that also:

A. encompass Daily features
B. provide alternative methods of aquiring milestones based on class.

Yeah, in another thread I talked about Fate Points as a means to unlock powerful maneuvers. These would be gained like action points but would allow you to draw from a pool of various powers when you use one (Such as finding the right opening to perform a martial "daily", or automatically succeeding at a saving throw). They would basically represent the PC being destined for greater things.
I want monks to have to beat up other monks and steal their titles to level up.

Well, not really, but it WAS a kinda flavorful mechanic. 
Check out my blog--now REACTIVATED with DnDnext feedback!
I want to see ability checks based on the actual ability scores again.

For that matter, I would equally enjoy if they just threw the whole "consistent ability modifier for every type of check" out the nearest airlock.  I want to feel like I can contribute meaningfully if my linked ability score is in the 8 - 13 range.

The metagame is not the game.

Crits exceeding what's possible with a regular damage roll: a return perhaps to the 3.x versions (x3, 19-20x2, etc). 

Action points! 
'That's just, like, your opinion, man.'

"There can be only one!"

The last few months of 3e brought about some of the most innovative material of the whole edition. As such, I would like to see such creative ideas make a comeback in next. I think every class should have their own resource mechanic to truly differentiate them. So here are some mechanics (new and old) that I would like to see in next. 1) 3e Warlock: All At Will Spells 2) 3e Binder: A very flavorful and unique caster 3) ToB classes: Each one had a unique recovery method and a unique manuever list. 4) Mana points that recover slowly throughout the day. 5) encounter based fire and forget. Anyone who has crammed for a quiz in the 10 minutes between classes knows this makes more sense than daily Vancian. 6) Stamina points that recover during a short rest. 7) some sort of build op resource mechanic. Certain attacks/actions can build up the resource (rage, combo points, divine favor, etc). Then special maneuvers, spells, or actions can become available by spending 3+ of the built up resource. Any other resource mechanics you would/would not like to see in next?

2nd edition skills and powers style mix and match classes- allow us to pick what modules we want for how our character classes work.

Make sure there are options for noncaster classes that make them interesting and make sure there are simple options for caster classes as well.

Spell interruption absolutely -must- return (imo).  It was -the- big balancer in 2E, and removing it -immediately- changed mages into what they became.  The additional spell changes only made it worse, but it was the spell interruption that got the ball rolling.  Study time/cost per page also seriously contributed to the glut of power.

Spell pages was a huge cost -- and rightly so.  Wizards often talk about protecting their 'spellbook', but the reality was that you were carrying 2 or 3 if you ever made it to high levels, and sometimes more than that.  It wasn't a thin lil book you pulled out for the heck of it as a pamphlet.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

7) some sort of build op resource mechanic. Certain attacks/actions can build up the resource (rage, combo points, divine favor, etc). Then special maneuvers, spells, or actions can become available by spending 3+ of the built up resource. Any other resource mechanics you would/would not like to see in next?

I would definitely like to see something like this, akin to the Iron Heroes "token" mechanic.  I really, truly loath Vancian magic and other powers/abilities that recharge daily, as they force a combat-heavy gamepace.

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

I might like to see a risk based caster.
we played a few sesions of the warhammer rpg for a change and I likes the mecanic where your spells are all at will,but there is a chance of magical backlash 

So every time you cast a spell you had to consider if the change of backlash made it worth casting the spell at that point.

1. Death Spells and monsters having them...LOTS OF EM!

2. STR or Con reducing death from monsters

3. Plane travel spells and places you can go to find that can move you to another plane. 
I would love to see psychic power points come back- a reserve of energy that I can draw on to do whatever I need to makes much more sense to me than say the wizards once-a-day approach.

[rant]
I have to say I always hated spell memorization- My DM's have always loved throwing unexpected situations at me, which is fun but it makes preparing things in advance useless (ooh, looks like a dragon invaded and killed all the goblins in the cave before you got here, too bad all you have are low damage area-effect spells).
It doesn't even make sense- if I memorize a quote from a normal book I can recite as many times as I want. The only reasonable explanation I have ever heard for how this is supposed to even work was in the Diskworld novels, wherein spells are semi-sentient energy beings who can live in books or brains temporarily.

The powers system left me even more skeptical; for example: "knee breaker" is a fighter daily power- so, does the fighter honor code say I can only break one knee a day? Will the fighters guild fine me if I go over my kneecap limit?
[/rant]

"Ha! Rock beats scissors!" "Darn it! Rock is overpowered! I'm not playing this again until the next edition is released!" "C'mon, just one more." "Oh, all right..." "Wait, what is that?" "Its 'Dynamite' from the expanded rules." "Just because you can afford to buy every supplement that comes out..." "Hey, it's completely balanced! You're just a bad DM for not accommodating it."
Show
RPGs are getting more popular, and whenever something gets more popular, it inevitably changes, usually becoming more palatable to the masses. Nintendo is the perfect example. In the old days their games coined the term "Nintendo hard" to extend play time, but they knew their fans were dedicated enough to play anyway. Now they mostly make stuff a five year old can master. That's not necessarily bad, though. Most of those old Nintendo games were infuriating. Likewise, a lot of old RPGs were too complex and irritating for the average person to really get into. Rules light systems are going to get more popular as more people enter the hobby, simply because the new people aren't bound by nostalgia, and would rather play something easy and fun than something that takes a huge amount of effort to learn.
I have to say I always hated spell memorization- My DM's have always loved throwing unexpected situations at me, which is fun but it makes preparing things in advance useless (ooh, looks like a dragon invaded and killed all the goblins in the cave before you got here, too bad all you have are low damage area-effect spells).
It doesn't even make sense- if I memorize a quote from a normal book I can recite as many times as I want. The only reasonable explanation I have ever heard for how this is supposed to even work was in the Diskworld novels, wherein spells are semi-sentient energy beings who can live in books or brains temporarily.

+1.  That's why I'm supporting an Iron Heroes-style "token" mechanic, as stated earlier.

The powers system left me even more skeptical; for example: "knee breaker" is a fighter daily power- so, does the fighter honor code say I can only break one knee a day? Will the fighters guild fine me if I go over my kneecap limit?

The power is called "knee breaker," but that's just a useful/colorful designation; what it actually represents is a maneuver that takes so much set-up and/or tactical ingenuity and/or deep reserves and/or shear damn luck that it can't be performed routinely, or even once every fight.  The circumstances, the battlefield, the stars -- what-have-you -- only array themselves in favor of this maneuver very rarely.

That said, I STILL want to see any alternative to daily resources of virtually any kind.

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

You have just won this thread

I want to see a race that is a class. 

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey