cheating in auras

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
A couple situations came up in some recent EDH 1v1 games that i want to clarify.

1) I have Academy Rector out. Opponent has Sorin Markov, Kaalia of the Vast with Lightning Greaves equipped, and Rune-Scarred Demon out. Both creatures are tapped from attacking. He used Sorin's top ability second main phase to do 2 damage to Rector abd gain 2 life. I used Rector's ability to tutor for Corrupted Conscience and put it on Kaalia so he wouldn't be dropping big threats for a while.

He argued that i couldn't target Kaalia due to Greaves which i agrred to but told him this process did involve the arua being cast, thus not using stack, and thus trully targeting, gettibg around shroud/hexproof.

2)the next was actually from the very next game with same guy. I had already taken his Baneslayer Angel with Corrupted Conscience earlier in game. I also had Rafiq of the Many out too. On his turn he cast Animate Dead onto Platinum Angel the equipped it with Whispersilk Cloak. My next turn, I attack only with Baneslayer Angel thus hitting him with a 6/6 double strike infect due to aura and Rafiq's pumps. He doesn't block eith Platinum Angel thinking he would live with 12 poison. My second main phase, I cast Venser, the Sojourner, use top ability to exile Corrupted Conscience and return it to play onto his Platinum Angel for the win. Again, was this a legal play with "cheating in" auras?
All legal.
Aura's only target while they are spells on the stack.  If you cheat in an Aura, it does not target and can get around Shroud/Hexproof. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

If they still object, show them this rule:
702.5a Enchant is a static ability, written “Enchant [object or player].” The enchant ability restricts what an Aura spell can target and what an Aura can enchant.

It clearly exposes the fact that an Aura targets while it is a spell,
whereas the Aura permanent merely «enchants». 

And here's the rule stating HOW Auras may enter the Battlefiled without being cast:
303.4f If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player’s control by any means other than by resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn’t specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura’s enchant ability and any other applicable effects.

Notice the absence of the word «target». 

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)