D&D Next Video Games

Since there haven't been a thread about 5e video games and it might be too soon. I'll start it. 

There quite a few D&D games, online and console.

We got the D&D Online (a lot like 3.5e, but with action. The spellcasters will eat you alive.)
D&D Heros of Neverwinter ( a facebook game that require energy to do quest )
there some more but I can't remember, but my favorite is D&D Eye of the Beholder.

When I think of a D&D game without grids, I think of Final Fantasy. That would be interesting. All I got to say if it's portable then I'm buying. :D

What's your view of a D&D Next video game and what you want in it? 
If you want to play a 5th Edition game check out:

Pool of Radiance 
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pool of Darkness 

Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
The Dark Queen of Krynn

For you Sci-Fi lovers:

Countdown to Doomsday
Matrix Cubed
I just wish that Gamma World game didn't vanish...  Oh well.  Hmm, the Realms have had enough games.  We need another Planescape game!  (Even though, nothing will beat Torment.)  That or something for Dark Sun.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Pool of Radiance 
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Pool of Darkness 

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
The Dark Queen of Krynn

For you Sci-Fi lovers:

Countdown to Doomsday
Matrix Cubed

Those look pretty retro. Where can I find these?

If they just made a competent port of the original pool of radiance using 5e rules and with updated visuals, I'd buy that and whatever it was on. probably a smart phone for something that niche, but I'd do it. I miss those games and the derivitives haven't worked for me.
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.

Pool of Radiance 
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Pool of Darkness 

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
The Dark Queen of Krynn

For you Sci-Fi lovers:

Countdown to Doomsday
Matrix Cubed

Those look pretty retro. Where can I find these?

you could try it here... 
nintendo8.com/game/760/adv._dungeon_&_dr...
Not sure where the rights live on stuff like this. 
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
I liked the games that were on the...xbox, was it?  I don't know...there were 2 of them, and you could pick the drow, the fighter, the mage, and so on.  Very dungeon crawlish, something about beholders.  Baldur's Gate for the console I think?

Fun as heck though.  I could live on those, especially if you had random(ish) traps and so forth so it didn't get stale, and maybe user-created maps so you could extend the playability of the game.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

Staccat0, it seems the game is not working. :/

What I like about D&D is no random encounters. I hate random encounters with a passion. If I want to grind exp then I'll go join a war. 

What I want in the next D&D game is multiplayer. I want to be able to quest with my buddies. If I'm too high lv to do the quest with him then I should be able to downgrade my character to make the requirement.  
Staccat0, it seems the game is not working. :/

What I like about D&D is no random encounters. I hate random encounters with a passion. If I want to grind exp then I'll go join a war. 

What I want in the next D&D game is multiplayer. I want to be able to quest with my buddies. If I'm too high lv to do the quest with him then I should be able to downgrade my character to make the requirement.  

You might want to keep an eye on this: baldursgate.com/
I liked the games that were on the...xbox, was it?  I don't know...there were 2 of them, and you could pick the drow, the fighter, the mage, and so on.  Very dungeon crawlish, something about beholders.  Baldur's Gate for the console I think?

Fun as heck though.  I could live on those, especially if you had random(ish) traps and so forth so it didn't get stale, and maybe user-created maps so you could extend the playability of the game.

If you liked those, go play the PC version or Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. They'll blow your mind as NWN1/2 actually are built for people to make their own adventures with custom content, custom audio, custom models, custom scripts, etc...etc... its really awesome what some people have done with it...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
The old Capcom arcade beat-em ups, for me (Tower of Doom and Shadows over Mystara, respectively). They're what got me into D&D in th first place, not to mention some of the best games I've ever played for the genre.

The old Capcom arcade beat-em ups, for me (Tower of Doom and Shadows over Mystara, respectively). They're what got me into D&D in th first place, not to mention some of the best games I've ever played for the genre.

It still play them occassionally when the newest shiny game turns out to be all graphics and no fun...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
The lack of a real Eberron-set videogame strikes me as such a travesty.  Here you have a perfectly good fantasy setting, with themes usually strongly associated with modern or sci-fi settings (and which are generally popular), and... it has only been used as a shell for a more-or-less "generic D&D" MMO, and a weird (and not very good) RTS.

Travesty is the word for it.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
The lack of a real Eberron-set videogame strikes me as such a travesty.  Here you have a perfectly good fantasy setting, with themes usually strongly associated with modern or sci-fi settings (and which are generally popular), and... it has only been used as a shell for a more-or-less "generic D&D" MMO, and a weird (and not very good) RTS.

Travesty is the word for it.

Given the way the -vast- majority of existing-IP videogames are handled...are you -sure- it's a tragedy?  You might count it a blessing unless they got the guys from Dawn of War or something to do it.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

Fair enough.  It would take some pretty good work to stay faithful to the source.  But my point generally still stands - the source itself is almost too perfect to not at least attempt to draw upon it.

Heck, at least give me a Call of Duty: Eberron.

WinkTongue Out

(... I was joking, but now... now?  That could be epic...)
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
I love3 the old gold box games. If they made a next game in that style, I might look into it.
I love3 the old gold box games. If they made a next game in that style, I might look into it.

You mean low quality, nearly text based, make you look stuff up in a physical book kind of game? Can you elaborate?
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Maybe D&D might go big and put Skyrim in it's place. ^.^
I'd love to see a combo of the old Shadow Over Mystara-type gameplay with the nicely executed randomly generated content and  dungeoncrawling of The Binding of Isaac. Hell, I'd love to see it done by Edmund McMillen, maybe with the Atropal as a secret boss (Because we all know how much the man loves him his fetuses).
Maybe D&D might go big and put Skyrim in it's place. ^.^

It honestly doesn't have much of a hurdle to go over. Skyrim is, IMO, more hype then anything. the fact that it GOTY angers and frustrates me to no end.

the main problem with 5th ed is what we currently have and what the devs have been saying seem to indicate it'll have the same problems Skyrim does: the fluff bits are nice, but the gameplay itself is severely lacking and repetitive.
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Dragon age reminds me of 4e quite a bit. Excellent game.

The old gold box games by SSI are abandon ware and can be played using DOSbox, a DOS emulator for your PC
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Bah, i hate Dragon Age (most boring combat ever), it's all generic MMO tank and spank, and i found Bioware storytelling to be dull and boring.

I want a Dragon's Dogma like game set on D&D settings...hell, playing it, felt like how 4e combat would looks in real life (all classes having several combat options, but can't have them all at the same time)
Dragon's Dogma feels very much like a sequal and alternate universe version of D&D: Shadows over Mystara.

wasn't too impressed by dragon age... i simply coudn't bother the energy to go much far in the game.

i'd probably want something plays closer to a final fantasy or disgaea if it's team-based or if single player give me a God of War clone gameplay wise.  
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
The Baldur's Gate games, specifically BG2: Shadows of Amn, is still my favorite presentation of a D&D video game. You get to have a party of characters, rather than just yourself and possibly a cohort / minion and the story (which to me is what D&D is about) was something that really engaged me. The Neverwinter Nights series did a pretty admirable job of continuing on that legacy, especially the second one that brought back the larger party dynamic.

I do enjoy playing Skyrim (and Oblivion, etc. before it), but I always seem to come back the Baldur's Gate series. I am glad that they're working to re-release it, but with a new edition coming out I wouldn't mind seeing some other game that encompasses the rules changes / vibe and feel of D&D Next - which have yet to be fully defined. If they decide to release some 5th Edition video games to try and piggyback off the 5th Edition release, I have two hopes: 1) they spend enough time and effort to have a quality product but also 2) they don't try to release a product that will overshadow their pen & paper game - that's not their business.

Out of curiosity, has there been any talk on what other "extras" might be released, or even just what people would like to see? What came to my mind was the gaming music CD - Midnight Syndicate - that came out with the 3rd edition stuff. Or even just t-shirts. I know a lot of this would depend on the success of the edition's release but just wondering what other little things to grow the D&D brand people want to see.
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
NWN is fun too.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
now that i think about it, i really have a hard time getting into a Faurope-style fantasy game. i love beat'em ups, i love games that focus on exploring, i love RPGs (or at least story heavy games), i love tactical games but throw some fantasy on there an i just... lose interest?

or is it that fantasy video games have bad gameplay?

If you liked those, go play the PC version or Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. They'll blow your mind as NWN1/2 actually are built for people to make their own adventures with custom content, custom audio, custom models, custom scripts, etc...etc... its really awesome what some people have done with it...

QFT. Actually the games were re-released as a complete package. NWN 1 and NWN 2.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
We are all aware that Neverwinter is now a 5e product, yes?  Just checking.
What's your view of a D&D Next video game and what you want in it? 

I don't think we need any "editioned" D&D video games.  By this, I mean that I would like to see any D&D video games focus entirley on quality and story and not play into the trap of trying to appeal to fans of just one edition.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Pathfinder is coming out with a MMORPG.
Pathfinder is coming out with a MMORPG.

Is it free to play? what's its name?
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
I feel a special affection for arcades D&D: Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystar. Its music makes me feel nostalgia.

* I think I sure, A true D&D videogame should have got a editor/creator of quests.

* My dream of D&D videogame is some differents genres but compatible stats. For example your PC is created, and can be used to play a arcade, a classic rpg, a social simulation (do you know sims medieval or the guild 2?) or be hired like mercenary in a RTS. You could create monsters like Spore videogame, and quests like franchise litle big adventure.

* But I don´t like combats for turns (only Drakensang but because it hides it).

* My suggestion is the future MMO free-to-play should can be played off-line when you have paid to get it. I don´t like spend my money to buy virtual anything I will not can used if online game is closed.

* I have a concern. I wonder if future of some D&D and sci-fi franchises isn´t only videogame industry but pendrives-like with form of toys or figures like Spyro:Skylanders.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I don't think a D&D video game could compete with a game like Guild Wars 2. 

I have already set my videogame budget for almost the rest of this year. 

GW2, Arma CO for the DayZ mod, and Arma 3 when it comes out in December for a new DayZ mode. That's $120 and over 600 hours of expected entertainment. 

I might get another $10 game on steam during the summer sale. 

This budget doesn't factor in the ddi subscription that I will probably continue until they remove the 4e tools or access to the magzines. 
It replaces my need to buy adventure vault style books for items and I like reading the magazines.

In order for me to rethink my budget for a D&D video game it would have to be as customizable and at least as sandboxy as All Points Bulletin with monsters controlled by players.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

DDO is free to play.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
DDO is free to play.

DDO is not pathfinder's new MMO... I also play DDO, but haven't been on in a while because of 5E...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
DDO is free to play.

DDO is not pathfinder's new MMO... I also play DDO, but haven't been on in a while because of 5E...

Whoops.. My bad. I was responding to "I have already set my videogame budget for almost the rest of this year. "

Show
The first MMO I tried was Champions Online and I liked it very much. D&D Online was the second but..movement, use the mouse to choose the target like the box to be broken... it wasn´t like Champions Online. Only was a time. And reading English for a game with a complicated system..(when should I use healing potions and powers?) was to tiring for me.

And about online videogames... please, you can´t use Pause because door or phone is ringing.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

well, since my idea for a randmly generated Dungeoncrawler/Beat Em Up went without comment, I'd also love to say that I'd love a D&D JRPG with a lot of humor, made by either the team behind Paper Mario or the team behind the Mario and Luigi games, since they combine humor and RPGs really, really well It'd probably have to be set in Spelljammer, since that would probably be the setting that fits the idea the best.
you may want to look at DungeonFighter online tbok. 

it's a class-based MMO Beat-em up set in a rather generic fantasy setting. 

@tbok

Let me take a look...

I'd love to see a combo of the old Shadow Over Mystara-type gameplay with the nicely executed randomly generated content and  dungeoncrawling of The Binding of Isaac. Hell, I'd love to see it done by Edmund McMillen, maybe with the Atropal as a secret boss (Because we all know how much the man loves him his fetuses).

Wow. Can't believe I didn't notice this one.

So, a Capcom beat-em up version of NetHack? Heck yeah! This is exactly what I'd want!

(though I'd personally want the Aerial Linear Motion Battle System from Tales of Destiny myself)