Anyone else just PLOW thru Bolas?

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
I mean I thought that Bolas would be harder on planeswalker level.......  I defeated him using jace's deck first time go.... wth?
I beat him with born to flame on hardest difficulty and just beat him in revenge mode
whats the deal you know? i dont get why hes not like karn was on 2012, slightly cheap lmao.
Not sure...karn was a pain....but oh well now on to challenges
I haven't gotten to Bolas yet, but it's funny I used to think Karn was the easiest deck to beat in 2012 Laughing  He was the AI I'd use to farm unlocks.
Karn was pathetic against Ancient Depths, which both hard countered and exploited everything about his deck. There's nothing like stealing and infinitely copying his Darksteel Colossi when he cheats them out.

Bolas is definitely way too easy here, though. His deck focuses almost completely on mana ramp and removal, with only 2 big creatures; both just 6/6's. I beat him in 5 turns with Jace on Revenge. Hopefully the expansion will introduce a real boss fight.
I only tried once... played as Garruk and Bolas kicked my buttocks.
Jace's deck FTW also beat the majority of the encounters with Jace's deck too, trying my hand at challenges now.
He ramped up but never cast a creature or anything. It was pretty entertaining.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
Jace is actually the best deck to use against Bolas so no surprise there.
I imagine since he doens't keep a lot of threats on the board and generally wins via Cruel Ultimatum chains, burning him would be a fairly good strategy as well.

Garruk isn't a good choice though, so much removal in Bolas' deck.
Are you playing against him with fully unlocked decks? I imagine that would make him a lot easier to defeat. On the other hand, I beat him 2nd or 3rd try with Jace's deck, with only 7 or so unlocked cards, but it was a pretty close match.
He seems to just want to mill hisself down as fast as possible and play Grave Titan and that's it? I've had multiple instances where he could've just played a creature and wrecked me because he wiped out my entire board (I was goblins when I fought him), but he decided to keep getting lands even though he had a billion.

I tried him again as jace just to see how fast I could beat him and it was pretty fast? 
He's kinda like in 2012's Archenemy when modding it to make him available in single-player: lots of stuff to kill your creatures, but that's it. If you can bring out more creatures than he can destroy, he's powerless.
Yes, his deck is extremely anti-creature (Jace doesn't care about creatures) and he digs through his own deck (which helps Jace win), so it's very easy as Jace.
beat him with lillys deck in 6 turns on planeswalker he didnt summon any monsters.
Yeah I was playing him on the final battle of the planechase campaign and he was never a big threat. Both Yeva and Ajani were scarier all the way through. He did save my ass from a 15/14 beetle when Jund popped up. What a classy guy. 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
This makes me want a Nicol Bolas Deck, 30 or 40 unlocks, and mana tapping. Could be very fun if done right.
Are you playing against him with fully unlocked decks? I imagine that would make him a lot easier to defeat. On the other hand, I beat him 2nd or 3rd try with Jace's deck, with only 7 or so unlocked cards, but it was a pretty close match.

I had only 4 cards unlocked in Jace's deck. took like less than 15 minutes.  was pitiful.
Easy peasy 
Failed against him with Exalted and Jace, but with Liliana I managed to Rise from the Grave his Mindclaw Shaman into a Cruel Ultimatum.
He didn't last long after that.
I'm going through the whole campaign with crosswinds (talarand?) and he is handling me pretttttyyy easily. Problem is Crosswinds has a lot of blockers (unnecessary) and he just spot removes the few offensive creatures and seems to pyroclasm every batch of 2/2 drakes. I dont have the fully unlocked deck yet but I'm going to switch to something easier soon
Your discipline, dedication and studying have all paid off. You have finally been nominated for the Azorius Senate!
Your discipline, dedication and studying have all paid off. You have finally been nominated for the Azorius Senate!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
 I was unlocking Garruk when I did the Nicole Bowl-ass battles and it sucked. Took about 5 tries to beat him on both normal and revenge (Planeswalker). But, now I have gold on all the campaign battles so I feel like I accomplished something. If you want a challenge or you just like being beat up and humiliated try dueling him with Garruk.
Yah he is just better suited against some decks. I went 0-4 as Crosswinds switched to Peacekeepers (Odric) and absolutely destroyed him first time : /
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
His deck has some spectacular cards, but stumbles upon itself way too often. I suppose it's just poorly built, in terms of manabase and threat\answers balance
Given that Bolas is supposed to be a bit of a schemer, it'd seem more apt if there were several different Bolas decks, and he chose the one to use based on which deck you're using against him.
I beat Bolas in campaign on the second try and revenge on the 4th try. I used crosswinds and was on the toughest difficulty. His deck requires strategy and not luck which is why I think he makes a great "boss." Play control with Crosswinds and never underestimate his position even if he has 1 card and no creatures. For instance if you have 5 lands and a cancel and Talarand in your hand, wait until you have 7 lands to play Talarand. Bolas may draw Cruel Ultimatum or Control Magic and you'd be screwed. Hope that helps!
Fought Bolas with Jace 10 times. 5 normal campaign, 5 revenge, all planeswalker difficulty. Absolutely destroyed him every time. He half milled himself. I just finished him off.
Though the goblins made a mess of Jace (protect from blue every game, yay), everyone else in the campaign just fell apart.
Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.
I did it with Garruks deck on planeswalker with about 6-10 cards unlocked, Took 2 tries hexproof and branchwood armour are your friends in this battle if you arn't jace-erasing him. P.S. i know the post maker HYE HOWS MA SISTER DOING!
Found him insanely hard to beat with peacekeepers. If I ever decide to fight him in revenge mode I'll certainly use a different deck :P
I'm going through the whole campaign with crosswinds (talarand?) and he is handling me pretttttyyy easily. Problem is Crosswinds has a lot of blockers (unnecessary) and he just spot removes the few offensive creatures and seems to pyroclasm every batch of 2/2 drakes. I dont have the fully unlocked deck yet but I'm going to switch to something easier soon

I feel your pain Afer unlocking Crosswinfs deck i've decided to go through a campaign with that deck only and unlock all cards on the way. Some opponents are tough for Talrand. But i managed to past them. Bolas in the campaign was ok, but in the revenge.. yesterday i have tried maybe 20 times and he was just wiping me all the time. As you said, he has so many mass removals, you can't gather any bigger stack to attack or protect Talrand card. As someone suggested i also tried to gather more lands to have at least one cancel to protect my play, but many times he had 2-3 instants to counter my attempts.. And also he has a few spells to discard your hand. So you can't keep good cards on hands all the time. Today i have finally managed to kill him. It was a very long fight. He has wiped my board maybe 3 times (i wasn't lucky to draw one of the 2 Favorable Winds for the whole game). Future Sight helped me a lot as always. Even replicating my krackens with a kicker and then converting them to dragons didn't give me a decisive victory (a few removals for 2, intercept, ultimatum, etc.).

I understand that he could be easy for some decks, as Karn was sometimes, though Karn still seems easier for me so far.

I did fine against Bolas until he double Cruel Ultimatumed me.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

With all the quick mana and win-cards, I find it still can be pretty tough against most decks except Dream Puppets, which tends to be pretty easy given how fast Bolas burns through cards. I suspect other controlly decks like lilliana's would work well once I unlock more of them.

The thing about the Karn deck in 2012 that made it so tough to beat was tinker. A turn 2 or 3 tinker usually mean "restart duel" unless your deck was heavy on pacifism or sac effects and you had one handy. The Bolas archenemy deck in 2012 also had it's share of overpowered cards like blatant thievery.
Sign In to post comments