The DotP 2013 "Is it supposed to work like this?" Thread

979 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a suggestion.  Instead of cluttering up the bug list thread with instances where there just may not be a clear understanding of the rules, how about we come here and discuss those "potential bugs."  The game is new and there are a lot of new mechanics in DotP 2013 that a lot of players are unfamiliar with.  In an effort to keep the official bug list thread to a manageable size for those organizing it and actually testing bugs, I figured it would be good if we had a seperate place for people to come to discuss questionable things they have encountered that may or may not be bugs or to simply get a better understanding of the rules.
Yes! Please use this thread as a filtration system to keep the buglist thread cleaner. It's super annoying trying to keep track of everything there when a lot of it ends up being people unclear on rule/card interactions.

If you're not 100% clear it's a rule violation, post it here for others to discuss.
And you can always use Gatherer to check out rulings for cards. I think Wizards adds those for more complicated cards.

For instance, you can find the one for Felidar Sovereign at this page. It is at the bottom of the page.
Ok I think i got one.

Born of Flame vs Jace,  I have 9 cards in my graveyard he has the Phantasm out.  I Chandra's Outrage at endstep to kill it, but it becomes a 5/5.   I thought the card was supposed to resolve before going in the yard.  I could be wrong.
just copied this from the bug-thread:

Rules for Exalted - the game got this right: "Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature with exalted."

You aren't reading the 'bug'. The player reports exalted triggering twice per card (ie: each exalted card is adding +2/+2), when it should be once per card, if a card can only have an ability once.If a card can have two exalted abilities, then it is working fine.

I haven't kept up enough on the rules to know whether it is working properly.

oupsie, you are right, didn't see that. well, there is "Cascade, Cascade" on Maelstrom Wanderer, but there is nothing with "Exalted, Exalted" - i am no rules professional, don't know if this is legit...

Can anyone clear this up?
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
If you have Sublime Archangel out, all exalted creatures should give +2/+2
Ok I think i got one.

Born of Flame vs Jace,  I have 9 cards in my graveyard he has the Phantasm out.  I Chandra's Outrage at endstep to kill it, but it becomes a 5/5.   I thought the card was supposed to resolve before going in the yard.  I could be wrong.

Pretty sure the Phantasm should live as the next time state based actions would be checked, Chandra's Outrage would be in the graveyard giving the Phantasm its +4/+4 stat bonus making it a 5/5 with 4 marked damage on it.
Ok cool.
OK how about this:

I have Future Sight out and cast Recurring Insight off the top of my deck. I didn't get the rebound effect next turn?

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

You didn't cast it from your hand, so no.   Says so on the card^
You didn't cast it from your hand, so no.   Says so on the card^

I think the confusion is that Future Sight says that you may cast it as though it were in your hand.
"As though it was in your hand" is still not in your hand.  So you didn't cast it "from your hand"
"As though it was in your hand" is still not in your hand.  So you didn't cast it "from your hand"

I#m pretty sure you're right on this one, but this absolutely doesn't make sense to me

Is there any condition that states "reveal the topcard of your library. It's status is 'in your hand'"? Just out of interest - if "As though it was in your hand" doesn't do it, what does?
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
They changed the oracle wording on cards like Future Sight to say "You may play the top card of your library." mainly for this kind of confusion.

Rules for Exalted - the game got this right: "Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature with exalted."

You aren't reading the 'bug'. The player reports exalted triggering twice per card (ie: each exalted card is adding +2/+2), when it should be once per card, if a card can only have an ability once.If a card can have two exalted abilities, then it is working fine.

oupsie, you are right, didn't see that. well, there is "Cascade, Cascade" on Maelstrom Wanderer, but there is nothing with "Exalted, Exalted" - i am no rules professional, don't know if this is legit...

Sublime Archangel clears it up:

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/Sublime-Archangel-M13-Spoiler.jpg)

The very last line: "If a creature has multiple instances of Exalted, each triggers separately".

Yeah, I'm not saying that you're not right.  Just pointing out how one could easily be confused.  I can see an argument going either way.

Sublime Archangel clears it up:

The very last line: "If a creature has multiple instances of Exalted, each triggers separately".

Unfortunately, the in-game card does not have that text and in the "More Info" box there is no indication that a creature can have 2x Exalted.

Unfortunately, the in-game card does not have that text and in the "More Info" box there is no indication that a creature can have 2x Exalted.

You'll find a great number of the questions in this thread are not explained on the card.
Bottom line, multiple instances of Exalted trigger seperately so the card in game is working properly.

You'll find a great number of the questions in this thread are not explained on the card.
Bottom line, multiple instances of Exalted trigger seperately so the card in game is working properly.

Glad I read this thread. I cut Sublime Archangel thinking, "all my dudes already have Exalted." But now I see how it works...that is a powerful ability.
So I just pulled down the iPad version.  I've noticed a few things that do not seem to be like the table game.

1)  You're only allowed 1 sorcery per main phase? 
2) Casting 1 sorcery in the first main phase will push you in to the combat phase.
3) You can not buff/inflate your creatures during the combat phase, nor during the main phase if you already cast a sorcery
4) similar to #3... You can not use instance on your creatures after blockers are declaired.

Some of these things I got quite accustom to playing the physical game, I can always change but wanted to make sure I'm not trying to do something that is now either against the rules, and/or is a setting I just need to change in the options

Thanks!
What xyou just listed makes no sense. You probably played planechase where the effect MADE it that way and is deffinetly NOt the norm (rules vise).
Ok I think i got one.

Pretty sure the Phantasm should live as the next time state based actions would be checked, Chandra's Outrage would be in the graveyard giving the Phantasm its +4/+4 stat bonus making it a 5/5 with 4 marked damage on it.

I was asking this same thing, and I'm pretty sure it's a bug. When you cast a spell in magic that card's effect needs to resolve first before it goes to the graveyard. So Phantasm should die before Chandra's Outrage goes to graveyard.
IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)
Brodo is definitely correct about Jace's Phantasm and Chandra's Outrage.
I was asking this same thing, and I'm pretty sure it's a bug. When you cast a spell in magic that card's effect needs to resolve first before it goes to the graveyard. So Phantasm should die before Chandra's Outrage goes to graveyard.

If a creature has 0 tougness or leathal damage it dies immidiatly it doesn't "resolve" to the grave. So at one point you have a 1/1 with some damage on it (but not dealt yet) and only 9 cards in a graveyard in the next moment you have 6/6 with X damage on it (beacause now there are 10 cards in a graveyard).

Hope this helps. 
Ok I think i got one.

608.2k As the final part of an instant or sorcery spell's resolution, the spell is put into its owner's graveyard. As the final part of an ability's resolution, the ability is removed from the stack and ceases to exist.

116.5. Each time a player would get priority, the game first performs all applicable state-based actions as a single event (see rule 704, "State-Based Actions"), then repeats this process until no state-based actions are performed. Then triggered abilities are put on the stack (see rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities"). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the player who would have received priority does so.

Spell resolves: damage is marked and the instant (in this case) is put into the graveyard at the same time (i.e. when the spell resolves). State based actions are checked after the spell finishes resolving, phantasm is 1/1 with +4/+4 active with 4 damage marked. Players receive priority (in paper).

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy... --- http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List --- Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.
So I just pulled down the iPad version.  I've noticed a few things that do not seem to be like the table game.

2) Casting 1 sorcery in the first main phase will push you in to the combat phase.
3) You can not buff/inflate your creatures during the combat phase, nor during the main phase if you already cast a sorcery
4) similar to #3... You can not use instance on your creatures after blockers are declaired.

Some of these things I got quite accustom to playing the physical game, I can always change but wanted to make sure I'm not trying to do something that is now either against the rules, and/or is a setting I just need to change in the options

Thanks!

I think you are doing something wrong, I don't have any of those issues on my iPad.  You can totally keep casting spells as long as you have mana.  Try hitting the "pause" button.  It might just be going on to the next phase while you are still thinking.

Also, go into your options and check the "Hold Priority" under Advanced tab.  They makes it so it only goes past your two main phases once you hit OK. 

Thanks!

I think you are doing something wrong, I don't have any of those issues on my iPad.  You can totally keep casting spells as long as you have mana.  Try hitting the "pause" button.  It might just be going on to the next phase while you are still thinking.

Also, go into your options and check the "Hold Priority" under Advanced tab.  They makes it so it only goes past your two main phases once you hit OK. 

Hm, Yea. my sitation - wanted to case a red spell to wipe out creatures, and then attack.. while attacking buff up my dragon.

Issue is, can't buff up the dragon during the combat phase... so is this how it works??

My Cathedral in the Exhalted deck would not let me tap it to add a manna to my pool. Is it supposed to allow me to add manna or does it just act as a land?
My Cathedral in the Exhalted deck would not let me tap it to add a manna to my pool. Is it supposed to allow me to add manna or does it just act as a land?

Yeah it should be adding colourless mana to your mana pool. Did the card you were trying to play only have coloured mana in it's mana cost? I dunno why it wouldn't be allowing you to tap it for mana otherwise...
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.

Yeah it should be adding colourless mana to your mana pool. Did the card you were trying to play only have coloured mana in it's mana cost? I dunno why it wouldn't be allowing you to tap it for mana otherwise...

It allowed me to use it as land just not allowing me to tap it to add an extra land. I'm assuming thats because it is only a land not a "add 1 to your mana pool". The wording is just a little weird.
You cannot tap lands to add mana to your mana pool because there is no mana pool in DotP. Mana is used (meaning land is tapped) only when casting spells or activating abilities.
You certainly should be able to "pump" your creatures during combat, in both the attackers and blockers phase. Make use of the "pause" button, because there is an in-game timer which runs down and if it runs out before you've done something, you miss your chance.

I just found this thread, and I've answered a few of the questions here in the bugs thread in a big post, particularly about Exalted. I'll check back here in the future for any other unanswered questions!

And yes, due to the techicalities of how creatures are destroyed by damage (which is not instantaneous) the Phantasm guy does survive, as explained well by Ladenswallow. They're not checked to see if they are destroyed until after the spell/ability has resolved, so the spell is in the graveyard by then.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
I don't intend to read all the 17 pages of known bugs but could someone add there (if it's not there yet) that in Duels Mind Control gives the creature haste which it shouldn't. I'll test later if this also works on a creature that has summoning sickness. (I noticed this in the encounter with the Prodigal Pyromancers.

Edit: Using it ona a creature with Sum Sick will result in it having Sum Sickness when you get control of it. 

It sounds like you don't know the difference between mana and land. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
You certainly should be able to "pump" your creatures during combat, in both the attackers and blockers phase. Make use of the "pause" button, because there is an in-game timer which runs down and if it runs out before you've done something, you miss your chance.

Pumping during combat works fine, I do it all the time with chandra's deck.
I don't intend to read all the 17 pages of known bugs but could someone add there (if it's not there yet) that in Duels Mind Control gives the creature haste which it shouldn't. I'll test later if this also works on a creature that has summoning sickness. (I noticed this in the encounter with the Prodigal Pyromancers.

Edit: Using it ona a creature with Sum Sick will result in it having Sum Sickness when you get control of it. 

I added it in there a couple days ago.
EDIT: Post #43.
one of the first acutal bugs.
Flickerwisp exiled my Drake creature token, it was not returned to me at the beggining of the next end step.
This is correct. When a token card leaves the battlefield it seizes to exist. So Unsummoning a token kills it.
Flickerwisp exiled my Drake creature token, it was not returned to me at the beggining of the next end step.

A token ceases to exist once it leaves the battlefield so it will not return.

I like to mass debate

I just found this thread, and I've answered a few of the questions here in the bugs thread in a big post, particularly about Exalted. I'll check back here in the future for any other unanswered questions!

Awesome.. I just noticed a few of the options (let the computer resolve damage) so I figured I was just missing something and/or it was on an easy mode with the demo (ie. lets make this as streamlined as possible for new users)

And it was my one sticking point on a purchase..  Now that - is clear, I think this is easily a must buy for me - a long time lover of MtG since the Legend's expansion MANY ages ago

It looks like you can tweek the desk a little bit, can you actually build up your own?  I haven't had much time to dig that deep in to the different gameplay options yet.

It sounds like you don't know the difference between mana and land. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I guess not lol. I just thought from reading it would allowe me to tap it and add a land to my manna pool effectively tap it and not allowing me to us it as a land this turn.