I can only buy one.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK so the premise is that I wish to purchuse one of the DnD boardgames. But I can only invest in the one. So I have two questions for the community.

1. Wich one do you recomend, and why?

2. Which ones should I stay clear of, and why?

On a side note, I'm usually the groups DM so if there is anything "lootable" feel free to inform me. But mostly I want the games for the games sake.

Thank you in advance for your help.
OK so the premise is that I wish to purchuse one of the DnD boardgames. But I can only invest in the one. So I have two questions for the community.

1. Wich one do you recomend, and why?

2. Which ones should I stay clear of, and why?

On a side note, I'm usually the groups DM so if there is anything "lootable" feel free to inform me. But mostly I want the games for the games sake.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Legend of Drizzt. Latest ruleset, powerfullest characters!

Check the games' miniatures list, either here or on BoardGameGeek, to see which miniatures you prefer for your game. 
I think that overall the games are similar enough that you would probably have the best time if you pick your foes. I think you can download the rulebooks on the WotC site, if I recall correctly, so you can have the "most up to date" options if you like.

My advice would be to go with the theme you like best:
* Vampires (CR)
* Dragons (WoA)
* Drow (LoD)
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
Thanks for all the replies. So far I'm leaning towards [WoA]

Is it possible to do an easy expansion the games with dungeon comand, or is the rules and then the "look" of the tiles to different. (as in the tiles don't have facing arows and monster "spawn" points etc).
While my fave so far is Ravenlof, I'd go with Wrath for general utility. The monsters, tiles and extra tokens allow for a lot of broad, iconic gamepley. Drizzt is Adventure System on steroids, with characters super- specialized for advanced combat tactics... and none of them are healers! Wrath's characters are very iconic and the treasures in the game seem to work really well with them. All three games are insanely fun, though, so I doubt you'll regret any choice you make.
Thanks for all the help. I'm still not quite sure if the new minis line works with the boardgames or not, but time will tell I guess. After all, its not even out yet in Norway.
The games mentioned so far are all part of the Adventure System, with great minis and a 4e light type feel, if you want a dungeon experiance they are great!

As a more Euro gamer when it comes to boardgames, I Love Lords of Waterdeep, and if it's a great boardgame you're looking for I would highly recommend it.
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
Well Hounds, one of the reasons I could only get one is because I was also going to get lords of waterdeep. In fact Lords and Wragh just arrived, and I vant wait to try them out. But it seems we will end up playing Next this weekend. Ah well still good fun.
While my fave so far is Ravenlof, I'd go with Wrath for general utility. The monsters, tiles and extra tokens allow for a lot of broad, iconic gamepley. Drizzt is Adventure System on steroids, with characters super- specialized for advanced combat tactics... and none of them are healers! Wrath's characters are very iconic and the treasures in the game seem to work really well with them. All three games are insanely fun, though, so I doubt you'll regret any choice you make.

This +1.

WoA is the most balanced of the 3 three games and most accurately resembles your typical D&D dungeon crawl. It has rules for campaign play and has the big chamber tiles which are really nice for the boss fights.

I personally thought LoD was a step backwards. The characters were too overpowered and the scenarios too easy. When Ravenloft came out, our win % was probably 25% but we won our first 4 games of LoD. I think they boosted the iconic Drizzt characters too much.

Ravenloft is really fun, but it is very hard and there's a few rules issues that feel kind of clunky compared to the later games.

If I had to buy one, I'd get WoA hands down.
Please let me know how you and your friends like Lords of Waterdeep. When it came out, I really didn' t think that it was my kind of game, but overwhelmingly positive game reviews are forcing me to think twice about it.
Well it depends a little bit on you enjoying eurogames. And I have only tried it in two player so far. But its a strong solid game. I learned it fast, its possible to have several strategies for winning. And the luck ellement is pressent, but not overshadowing. So in my oppinion, a great game.