Responding to Land Drops

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I often play Ghost Quarter (I know, I suck), and I'm often annoyed that my opponent can get at least one use out of their special lands (i.e., Moorland Haunt, Vault of the Archangel, KESSIG WOLF RUN) before the system lets me destroy it. I was under the impression that I could use Ghost Quarter as an instant and immediately destroy the land the moment it enters the battlefield. Am I incorrect?
Yes, you are incorrect.  Your activation of Ghost Quarter goes on the stack, they get a chance to respond.  I think.
Thank you, Erik.
It is incorrect, but not for that reason.

Playing of lands does not use the stack and does not pass priority. So you never have the chance to react with an instant before its usage.
The same goes for resolved artifacts/planeswalkers and such.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Even if the rules were set up such that you could, somehow, get priority immediately after the land came into play, if you used your Ghost Quarter, the opponent could still respond by tapping that land for mana (or activating some other ability) while the destroy effect was on the stack.
Activating mana abilities does not use the stack, so in that sense you won't be able to destroy or tap a land before it can be used to draw mana.

Special game actions, like playing a land, combat damage, and drawing your card for the turn - these do not use the stack either. They merely happen, and then the active player gains priority again. 
I often play Ghost Quarter (I know, I suck), and I'm often annoyed that my opponent can get at least one use out of their special lands (i.e., Moorland Haunt, Vault of the Archangel, KESSIG WOLF RUN) before the system lets me destroy it. I was under the impression that I could use Ghost Quarter as an instant and immediately destroy the land the moment it enters the battlefield. Am I incorrect?

You can Ghost Quarter to destroy a land as an instant, but they can activate their land as an instant. Instants and instant-speed activated abilities don't immediately resolve, they can be responded to by other Instants and activated abilities.

Playing a land, on the other hand, is special. It just happens, no player can respond to it. Lick rukcus said, there are a few "special actions" which "just happen." 
Even if you COULD respond to "playing a land", that would be like responding to casting a creature: the creature spell is still on the stack when you respond to the casting (eg. to counter it).

So if you could use Ghost Qarter in response to a land being played, the land wouldn't be in play yet when you were responding to the land play. So whether it uses the stack or not is irrelevant in this case.

The reason land plays don't use the stack is because they can't be countered (or rather, WotC thinks it shouldn't be possible).

Anyway, we've established that the land must be in play for your quarter to be able to do anything. Now the stack comes into play and it turns out it doesn't matter if you are first or not, only the order in which things happen changes:

1) You tap quarter to destroy land X - opponent reponds by tapping land X for its ability. Ability goes off, land gets destroyed.

2) Opponent taps land X for its ability - you respond by using quarter. Land gets destroyed, special ability goes off.

Either way they get one use. If you don't want that, what you're looking for is LD that has split second (doesn't exist yet).
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
what you're looking for is LD that has split second (doesn't exist yet).

In the theoretical situation that this exists, it still is not possible.

The player playing the land and using the land will always have priority until a spell/ability is played/triggered.
There is nothing you can do about tapping just played lands.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

There is technically a way to interfere. If there is a triggered ability that triggers off a land entering play, such as Shattered Angel, you can respond to that trigger with a split second effect (for example Word of Seizing) provided your opponent doesn't activate it in response to the trigger. Not useful for Standard, aand somewhat convoluted, but a possibility.
Historical Magic tidbit:  Before the rules for Madness were fixed, the end of the window where you could play a spell with Madness keyed off of you passing priority.  This means you could trigger madness, play a land (while not passing priority), then pay the madness cost.
Historical Magic tidbit:  Before the rules for Madness were fixed, the end of the window where you could play a spell with Madness keyed off of you passing priority.  This means you could trigger madness, play a land (while not passing priority), then pay the madness cost.

I never knew this.
Thanks for sharing Ryan!

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

The player playing the land and using the land will always have priority until a spell/ability is played/triggered.

Split second would be useful in situation 1) of the two I wrote about. Don't ignore half my post ok. In the other situation Stifle might help.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.

This was a cool trick with Rites of Spring, since it let you discard and search for the land to play all in one spell resolution.

Split second would be useful in situation 1) of the two I wrote about. Don't ignore half my post ok. In the other situation Stifle might help.

You said 'either way' in the same paragraph, so I assumed you meant in both situations.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Even were split second involved they would still be able to tap it for mana use but not activate special abilities.   Lands be cool that way.
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!