The most powerful Color in Magic™?

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
No, this isn't a "help me build a deck" thread. My question is, especially for you veteran magic wielders, which color when it comes down to it, do you believe is potentially the most powerful of all?

I've only been playing Magic: the Gathering for 7-odd months now (late Novermber '11), so my knowledge of Magic is essentially rudimentary and primarily drawn from the Innistrad block. This game has such depth that I am sentiet to the fact that I've only scratched the surface. Still, even I can see how each of the 5 colors has their place and flavor, and each brings different raw power. To me, at the risk of over-simplifying, white is lockdown and order, black is endure pain to obtain gain, red is "Everything burns.", etc.

I'm sure my naivity is showing. But of the five different facets of Magic, do you believe that one of these colors, if given the freedom, could potentially be the most dominant? I must admit I created this thread with a color already in mind: Blue. I'll recite a common unofficial forum signature: "I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."

Too many times already I have encountered Blue cards, either in personal play or those that have existed before my time on the Gatherer, that have appeared innocuous at face value, but given in the right hands of a true Magic player, can absolutely turn the universe inside out and outright melt your mind. An obvious example, look at Jace, the Mind Sculptor. This PASSED rigorous internal playtesting. Now that one is an obvious (nuclear) bomb, granted, but I feel as if it is a poster child for what I am trying to convey.

If that didn't convince me, Force of Will, would. Looking at this card, without any outside word on its potential, as a layman I would have regrettably overlooked this spell completely. Exile (?!) a card in my hand, and lose 1 life to counterspell, when a Cancel will do the same for 3 CMC? And yet, many consider this to be the best counterspell in all of Magic. It isn't? Oh, Mana Drain is. Remember, they actually printed that.

I don't know if I've gotten my point across. All I know is that Blue has more tricks on your brain that the Devil. And to me, even as a peasant in this Magic universe, I can sense its undenying power.

But I want to know,

What do you think?
As a side note, I believe they changed Jace, the Mind sculptor's +1 just before printing, so he wasn't actually tested in his final form; the same thing happened with Skullclamp, which originally gave +1/+1.

Personally, I've always felt white to be the most powerful colour simply due to its efficiency and utility.  Its removal is obscenely good and cheap, flexibletoo. Its creatures are also great between one mana to three mana and it has choice fatties if you're looking higher up the curve. 

Its main weakness in my experience is card draw, but with all the artifacts floating around these days, that's not really a weakness.

In terms of flavour (which seems to be what you're getting at?) what's more powerful than a colour that can stop everything (absolutely everything) else? :D
A perfect response. I can tell Apollo that you've seen enough to hold a solid opinion.

From what I see, you've shown what white can be strongest at: total deflection and complete lockdown. Maybe that is the most commanding of all? All too often I've fallen to Gideon's Lawkeeper whipping me into submission. Though, again,  I can never understate that I am still relatively a greenhorn.

Inevitably Wizards of the Coast would want you to believe that all 5 colors are equal in strength when used in the correct manner. Is that so? It seems that each color is imbued with enough flavor that they actually attract a certain type of person. If that's the case, bravo. I think we've all casually declared "X is my favorite color."

I still hold the notion that all colors are equal, but some colors are more equal than others.
blue is probably the most powerful colour

in the last few years there was only 1 deck that dominated the Standard format to not have blue (Jund), every other deck at least splashed it.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Hmm... now there's a thought. Is blue the most splashed in at least standard? Does that hold weight?

If everytime you build a deck and think "I bet this could be enhanced two-fold if I mixed in some blue", that has to signify something. Again I hold no real bias towards one color or another. This is not a whine thread. I'm just merely curious as to which color in the right hands could really tear your soul into pieces.

I mostly play casual, which means I'm used to evaluating cards outside of their "set" context; also, pretty much every deck I have splashes white for utility at the least, so I'm well aware of where my preferences lie :D

In terms of Blue's use as a splash, I think that's mainly due to just how helpful blue can be on the splash - it makes a deck run much more smoothly with draw, and filter effects such as Ponder Preordain and Serum Visions. It also helps that in the last year or so (starting with illusions blue's been getting some *very* aggressive creatures, which is fairly atypical. 

I think however that there's a slight problem here, in that generally WOTC pushes multi-colour deck themes, which makes it incredibly hard to evaluate colours these days, at least in terms of Standard.
I like red  although every color is powerful in their own sense. Red gets efficiency. It is possibly the fastest color and definitely in the top 2 in speed. In addittion, red packs sweepers, utility damage, land detruction, aggressive creatures, and large creatures. Red also has various quick ramping, the most hasty creatures, and even some rare forms of card draw. Red is all systems go, it's getting an opponent from twenty to zero before they get off the ground.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
If someone said to me, "You're going to play a game of monocolor MTG- and your life is on the line!" I would choose to play white. It seems the only color able to easily deal with any situation. Every other color has some major hindrance. Blue is probably second on the list but its weakness against permanents (which can be a serious hindrance) robs it of the #1 spot in monocolor- but blue is probably the best splash color.
I'm not sure you will find too many seasoned players that would disagree with blue being the most powerful color. White and black are second, while Red and Green kinda stink.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I don't know about today, but 10 or so years ago, I heard someone say that blue just doesn't work unless there is another color with it.  So I don't know.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
It's definitely blue.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I feel Blue is the most powerful color.  Cantrips to pick up cards, great creatures with abilities, board control, bounce spells, counterspells.  Ability to play additional turns, steal opponent's creatures, etc.  It's weak with actual removal, but that's what they make bounce cards for.  Missed countering it the first time?  Bounce it and counter it the second time.  I do agree blue is best in combination with other colours, I've never maindecked and played a straight Blue deck, I've always combined it with Black or White. 

I agree Red and Green are the weaker sisters.  Not saying they can't build some winning decks, but they just don't have the powerhouse control spells that Blue/White get. 

141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.
I don't know what game you're playing, but I think Magic: The Gathering only has one color. Blue is all I see being played anywhere I go. Of course, I've heard some legends of a color called... Black? I really relate to the mythology, but I have yet to see any evidence of its existance.
Hard to say honestly.The game changed quite a bit over the years. Back when color-hate cards were made, every color hated 2 others so "anybody could wreck anybody", all you had to do was picking your poison. These days it's more about abilities or creature-types-hate, so the balance mostly depends on the set design than really wich color you play.

I always liked blue and even if it has some of the most poweful cards ever made (Mana Drain,
Time Walk, Ancestral Recall, ...) it can still lose to other colors (Channel+ Fireball , yeah I know, easy example).

I face it once in a while but Iona, shield of Emeria is one mean card. What does white really miss these days ? It's the most complete color.

Red is on the rise, with the incorporation of a control aspect over the last few years.   

Black is pretty much on the same level it has always been.

To me, green is the leftover right now.

My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
White is the best if you're talking about a monocolored strategy. Blue is by far the best supporting color.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

To me, green is the leftover right now.

A shame too, because I love Green.  It has been getting a little bit of love lately with the Hexproof, and 'This card can't be countered' creatures to protect itself and the over-reliance on creature damage.  It still lacks big sweeper control spells like Blue/White/Black and DD spells like red.  I find I still lose to fast decks with flyers (stupid effing Delver of Secrets ) even with my best green deck, it's still weak against flying.
141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.
U

みんな、見ていてくれ!

A shame too, because I love Green.  It has been getting a little bit of love lately with the Hexproof, and 'This card can't be countered' creatures to protect itself and the over-reliance on creature damage.  It still lacks big sweeper control spells like Blue/White/Black and DD spells like red.  I find I still lose to fast decks with flyers (stupid effing Delver of Secrets ) even with my best green deck, it's still weak against flying.

What are you guys talking about? Green isn't the best color, but it's up there thanks to ridiculous threats like Thrun, the Last Troll and Primeval Titan. If you're looking for removal in general, it has Prey Upon and Ulvenwald Tracker. If you really hate Delver, run Corrosive Gale.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I like red  although every color is powerful in their own sense. Red gets efficiency. It is possibly the fastest color and definitely in the top 2 in speed. In addittion, red packs sweepers, utility damage, land detruction, aggressive creatures, and large creatures. Red also has various quick ramping, the most hasty creatures, and even some rare forms of card draw. Red is all systems go, it's getting an opponent from twenty to zero before they get off the ground.

Ha! Red certainly starts the game redlining at maximum RPM's, eh? I do appreciate the fact that you can still set everything on fire in the Magic universe. Fun to see an opponent's big plan fall apart because his world's engulfed in flames. Lightning Bolt seems to be a prime example of this. "Turn 1, I burn your face, you're at 17, Go."

I also enjoy that red creatures have a knack for hitting the battlefield swinging. "Summoning sickness" is for chumps.

There's something to be said when you're got a major deck archetype entitled "Red Deck Wins."

Ha! Red certainly starts the game redlining at maximum RPM's, eh? I do appreciate the fact that you can still set everything on fire in the Magic universe. Fun to see an opponent's big plan fall apart because his world's engulfed in flames. Lightning Bolt seems to be a prime example of this. "Turn 1, I burn your face, you're at 17, Go."

I also enjoy that red creatures have a knack for hitting the battlefield swinging. "Summoning sickness" is for chumps.

There's something to be said when you're got a major deck archetype entitled "Red Deck Wins."

Perhaps you've found your preferred colour!  Play it!  Cool

Unless you're building decks for tournament play, play what you like, not what is percieved as 'best/most powerful'.  For casual tabletop games, it doesn't really matter what you're playing as much.  Personally, I like Green because I'm a big fat Timmy at heart and I like smashing peoples faces with big overcosted beasties.  Effective?  Sometimes...not really.  Enjoyable?  When I drop Overwhelming Stampede for the big fat win it sure is.  This goes back to my starting days of MTG when we all thought Leviathan decks or Force of Nature were total worldbeaters. 
141434757 wrote:
Lightning Bolt seems to be a prime example of this. "Turn 1, I burn your face, you're at 17, Go."

More often than not, burning your opponent's face with a Lightning Bolt in the first turn isn't the most optimal play.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Lightning Bolt seems to be a prime example of this. "Turn 1, I burn your face, you're at 17, Go."

More often than not, burning your opponent's face with a Lightning Bolt in the first turn isn't the most optimal play.

Of course. That was just a quick example thought up illustrating that Red can come out of the gates fast and hard. If anything, I'd at least save it to see my opponent's turn 1, and use my mana then to burn his pesky Delver before it grows wings.

Perhaps you've found your preferred colour!  Play it!  Cool

Unless you're building decks for tournament play, play what you like, not what is percieved as 'best/most powerful'.  For casual tabletop games, it doesn't really matter what you're playing as much.  Personally, I like Green because I'm a big fat Timmy at heart and I like smashing peoples faces with big overcosted beasties.  Effective?  Sometimes...not really.  Enjoyable?  When I drop Overwhelming Stampede for the big fat win it sure is.  This goes back to my starting days of MTG when we all thought Leviathan decks or Force of Nature were total worldbeaters. 

Oh Blue will always be the closest in my heart. Something about the power of clever manipulation gets to me. The way I see it, your wits act as the ultimate enabler as to how powerful a blue themed deck can truly be. Unfortunately, sometimes that's not much when I play Wink.

Although I have been meaning to construct a fun little U/R decked centered around Burning Vengeance.

Oh Blue will always be the closest in my heart. Something about the power of clever manipulation gets to me. The way I see it, your wits act as the ultimate enabler as to how powerful a blue themed deck can truly be. Unfortunately, sometimes that's not much when I play Wink.

Although I have been meaning to construct a fun little U/R decked centered around Burning Vengeance.

I suggest adding Delver of Secrets into your U/R deck, there are a lot of U/R decks splashing blue for this card now.  Add in Lightning bolts, ponders and any other kind of card draw/damage sorcery and voila!  Go into the comments for Delver and a user has posted a good deck that's reasonably cheap to make...

141434757 wrote:
Historically, the colors are like this:

Blue
Black
White
Red
Green

Depending on your definition of 'power', you could switch black and blue. Blue has the most powerful cards in terms of number. BLack has the most insane cards in terms of power.
Historically Blue.

Thoug on a set-by-set basis is changes depending on the whims of R&D at the time.
… and then, the squirrels came.
The Power 9 consists of blue and artifacts.
Blue is pretty much unquestionably the best color in all of Magic, assuming all Vintage-legal cards are available and the metagame is sufficiently skilled.  When we ignore old mistakes (which rotating formats do), the best color tends to switch up a bit and is currently probably blue.  But by a far smaller margin.
The lack of color is actually the most powerful color (colorless). Colorless spells and costs are just conceptually superior to colored ones since they can be payed with any color.

That bit out of the way though, is just historically "the best", mostly because up until recently strong filtration and CA engines in other colors have been scarce, so the deck to beat had always had a blue shell of cards that make the deck conceptually smaller than 60 cards. People translate this into ":U: is the best color", but that's inherently wrong because at the point of deckbuilding and using multiple colors, the importance of "color" in relation to the deck is blurred.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I'm an EDH player, so in my opnion, green is the best color. Green has a lot of the best world, in terms of card advantage. It can Ramp like none other, get your favorite cards back, Hate on the graveyard, Outright kill your opponent, has doubling season, does graveyard shenanigans, searches and Hates fliers. And at the end of the day, you can sit back, kick your feet up, sip a cold drink and Tooth and nail with entwine on turn 5. Because that's what green does.
Green went decades without any real meta-effecting power, at least on its own.  I would say it took all the way into the Zendikar block for Green to establish itself as a threat by itself.

Historically Blue is the strongest without a doubt.  Followed by Black.  I would say that White and Red ared tied for the third spot because there are many instances where either are arguably better.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
I feel Blue is the most powerful color.  Cantrips to pick up cards, great creatures with abilities, board control, bounce spells, counterspells.  Ability to play additional turns, steal opponent's creatures, etc.  It's weak with actual removal, but that's what they make bounce cards for.  Missed countering it the first time?  Bounce it and counter it the second time.

Yeah but that's the problem, you're having to rely on two cards to execute a strategy designed to overcome a weakness. All strategies work that way; all that "bounce & counter" does is highlight the inherant weakness of the color. It's also a strategy good in theory- but play a monoblue deck and see what happens.

This is why white is the most powerful. Its all-encompassing efficiency in dealing with your opponents strategies. White's ability to give protection from the other colors neutralizes "bounce & counter" and an entire host of strategies. If MTG was a mono-colored game, white decks would dominate the game with relative ease. Blue and green would be the only colors to contend, and their contention would be weak). Red and black would be played only by the most devout of color-fanatics.

Yeah but that's the problem, you're having to rely on two cards to execute a strategy designed to overcome a weakness. All strategies work that way; all that "bounce & counter" does is highlight the inherant weakness of the color. It's also a strategy good in theory- but play a monoblue deck and see what happens.

This is why white is the most powerful. Its all-encompassing efficiency in dealing with your opponents strategies. White's ability to give protection from the other colors neutralizes "bounce & counter" and an entire host of strategies. If MTG was a mono-colored game, white decks would dominate the game with relative ease. Blue and green would be the only colors to contend, and their contention would be weak). Red and black would be played only by the most devout of color-fanatics.

I'll concede if we're playing a mono-colour game, White is more versatile and has better ways of dealing with all threats. 

But alas, we're not playing a mono-colour game, so the strengths of Blue and the great plays it offers can outweigh the weaknesses by combining it with a support colour.  IMO Blue has far more powerful game breaking spells than any other colour. 

Play the best of both worlds and use a U/W deck!  Cool
141434757 wrote:
It used to be that there was only one answer to this question - Blue.

But because Blue is still the most annoying color in Magic, over the years, efforts have been made to make it weaker. So much so that they tried to give something back, with Jace, the Mind Sculptor, and then they had to take that away.

So Blue has been vitiated enough these days that it probably isn't the most powerful color at the moment.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Green went decades without any real meta-effecting power, at least on its own.  I would say it took all the way into the Zendikar block for Green to establish itself as a threat by itself.

Historically Blue is the strongest without a doubt.  Followed by Black.  I would say that White and Red ared tied for the third spot because there are many instances where either are arguably better.

Look up Mono-Green Stompy. It was quite the deck in its time. And, right now, Unicorns, a variant of MGS, is doing remarkably well 
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.

So Blue has been vitiated enough these days that it probably isn't the most powerful color at the moment.

If not Blue than which one? 
141434757 wrote:
Plaid
Blue/white are the most powerful, red/black are the best, green's okay.
I'd go

Ancestral Recall alone makes this the rule, to say nothing of Time Walk, Force of Will, and the like. Also, in the early days, blue got everything.
Necropotence, Hypnotic Specter, Yawgmoth's Will, Demonic Tutor...Yeah.
Mostly because it can win the game...really quickly. And really consistently. It's rare, the Standard where red doesn't have a five-turn win. And it's now even getting playable planeswalkers. Not you, Tibalt.
Serra Angel was the control deck finisher for a long time. While control decks have gotten better stuff since, white still gets more than its fair share of the color pie, and has traditionally been the only color to hose all permanent types.
Ugh, green, the "creature color", actually gets creatures strictly worse than what the other colors get. (I'm looking at you, Kessig Recluse. Does a 2/3 with deathtouch and reach have any business costing in the same game where Vampire Nighthawk exists?)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I wonder if you polled 300 master Magic players, how many of them would say Green is potentially the most dangerous when in the right hands? Has Green been involved in winning any tournaments?

...seems like Green is continually last on the list, no?

I've heard players say that Green's problem is that it doesn't know what it really wants to do. Outside of large numbered "Timmy"-esque creatures, it lacks a true identity. Or that the identity it does have (the nature based theme of mana ramp, life gain [which appears to have drifted to white?], and big creatures) just doesn't cut it. "Best color to start playing Magic with, last color to actually play with." I don't know if I'd go that far... but many players certainly aren't quick to jump to its defense.
green has some nasty combos
it's just too slow and can't interact with the board very much
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments