The Ultimate Broken Deck

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay. I'm sick and tired of playing against my one friend, who has thousands of cards and a load of decks- and the central theme is to be as broken as possible. In the last match, I just got wiped out with 200-something Creature TOKENS that have 2/2. He had primedoral hydra (idk if I spelled that correctly) and some other card that converts a creature's power into creature tokens at the sacrifice of the creature, and Cloudshift so it ended up back in his hand, and a Wurm's Tooth so every green creature summoned earned him life... the creature tokens were all green... and um so yeah.

That happens like every time we play. I don't even enjoy playing the game half the time -_- Even with my white/green angel deck (centered around the idea of a high attack/ defense and gaining a lot of life&mana quickly) I could only do a fraction of damage.

Some friends of mine just foud a card store near me selling common singles for 25cents, rare single cards for $1, mythics for $2, and Planeswalkers for $10. Budget= not a problem.

I want to build the ultimate broken deck. I'll call it "Vengence." Yes. It will have a name.

Thing is, I'm a noob and have no idea where to start.

Any suggestion is a good suggestion. Fire away! (Please an thank you :3 )
My buddy likes to play that Hydra on me...He usually waits a few turns to pump it up, and I usually respond with a Doom Blade or I will just counter it(depending on the deck I am  using). Death Wind is a nice way to kill it as well.

Dont know if any of this helps, just thought I'd share my experience with that dang Hydra.
Hmmm...I have a Counterspell for that.
Okay. I'm sick and tired of playing against my one friend, who has thousands of cards and a load of decks- and the central theme is to be as broken as possible. In the last match, I just got wiped out with 200-something Creature TOKENS that have 2/2. He had primedoral hydra (idk if I spelled that correctly) and some other card that converts a creature's power into creature tokens at the sacrifice of the creature, and Cloudshift so it ended up back in his hand, and a Wurm's Tooth so every green creature summoned earned him life... the creature tokens were all green... and um so yeah.

Ok... this doesn't work at all.
There are at least 3 rules mistakes in this "combo" of his that I see right off the bat. And possibly more, which I'll expand on after I point the confirmed ones out.

First one is: casting cloudshift on a creature being sacrificed to pay a cost won't bring it back. The creature dies. "Sacrifice a creature" is not the same as "destroy target creature". Sacrificing in the case you mention seems to be a cost, and if he does sacrifice the hydra, it can't be "saved" with cloudshift. Also worth noting that cloudshift returns the creature to the battlefield, not your hand.

Second: if he uses cloudshift on a primordial hydra, it will return to the battlefield as a 0/0 and die on the spot as a state-based effect. State-Based effects don't go on the stack, which means they can't be responded to. They are accounted for when a player receives priority.

Third problem with this is that, all things aside, tokens aren't "cast", so he can't get any life from wurm's tooth with that (provided it worked) even if he brings down one billion tokens. Tokens are "put on the battlefield", not "cast", and there's a huge difference in that.

Also, there's the problem with the card that allows him to sacrifice a creature for 2/2 tokens (by the way, they don't "have 2/2", they are 2/2, this is their power/toughness) that I don't know about, and by that I mean it might very well not exist. There might be another rules mistake in there. Since you seem to be using more recent cards, it might be feed the pack. If that's the case, this is the forth rules mistake. He cannot sacrifice more than one creature to it, and can do it only once each turn, since it says "At the beginning of your end step", not "during your end step".

So, instead of building a new deck, you can just tell him that this whole is at the very least a triple (or, I believe, a quadruple) fail. This is indeed "the ultimate broken deck", not broken as in good, but broken as something that couldn't ever work, something that is beyond fix.

However, if you still want to build a good, new deck, I'm here to help, but some guidelines are needed, since possibilities are endless.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
@vector, I probably got the details wrong ahaha. But all the same, I sensed somethig fishy, too. Thing is, he does tournaments with decks like that, so idk how much he could've faked :/

and @catowner, that's a brilliant deck! I'll see if I can find those cards at tge new card store! Thanks!

We're trying to force him to make an unbroken deck, but unfortunately, that's "his playing style" (sigh)

I'm going to the card store on Sat.

@high_plains_drifter I'll see if I can find those cards Thanks!
@catowner, that's a brilliant deck! I'll see if I can find those cards at tge new card store! Thanks!

I don't think that was a serious suggestion on catowner's part.

Have you considered something like budget Affinity? Soul Sisters could be fun to play too.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

@sylverbladedwyngs
catowners suggestion wasnt real XP i wish I COULD OWN A LOTUS....Budget Legacy and Modern decks can be pretty good.  Death and taxes, soul sister, affinity, dredge.  If you just want the best casual deck ever than all you need is a 60 card chancellor of the dross deck. AUTOWIN...obviously tht doesnt follow the playset rules xP.  Tinker decks tht use 4 sol ring are pretty cheap.  Basically turn 1: drop an island, sol ring..turn 2: drop an island, tap the island and sol ring and cast tinker and get a blightsteel colossus for a turn 2-3 win Xp...sol ring is restricted in vintage but since this is casual XP

heartless summoning is broken in the right situations..heres a link of a possible 1st turn win and infinite combos.

www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=32...
if worst comes to worst, make proxies
dark depths and vampire hexmage combo is amazing!
You want a way to nuke him?
Token strategy can potentially be hard to deal with, although it's slow enough that you'd have a good chance for a nice combo deck or a shutdown deck.
I hate token's, but there are a few really nice ways to hose them.
Depending on what colour your playing; Echoing Truth & Maelstrom Pulse are an answer when they think they have you killed off.  

I would try a deck based on Painter's Servant & grindstone
Lots of tutors/artifact tutors to find them (maybe some Tezz. planeswalkers if you have the moolah).
This way you can mill his whole deck on turn three or four and make him have to rethink his deck.  
Add plenty of cards like Propaganda, maybe even some Fog Bank & Wall of Tears to slow him up BIG time.

If he's likely to play Leyline of Sanctity, there are a few ways to make the deck still work easily.
Include a single Laboratory Maniac, Dread Return, Narcomoeba and some Bloodghast. Use a "free" instant, and almost uncounterable draw spell for the win, like Street Wraith.
You'll have to choose which way to go of course, you can't cover both strategies....... 

============================================================================

That would be my first approach, the other would be a discard strategy based on Quest of the Nihil Stone, The Rack and whole lot of nasty discard like Hymn to Tourach, Wrench Mind, Duress, Inquisition of Kozilek, with creatures defence like Wall of SOuls and Reassembling Skeleton and a few big sac spells like Innocent Blood and Barter in Blood and of course a couple Infest.

Good Luck.
Ask him for a breakdown on how it works, I'm curious as there are several points that seem to be fundamental to how you describe it that really really really DON'T work, as vektor stated.
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
If you want to grief the living (!) out of his green deck, only to watch his face, cast your visage upon these gems:

Perish
Acid Rain

Though sadly, that will just spiral into a series of unwanted events. Casual play is supposed to be fun. Enlighten him about said rule frictions, and see what happens. Perfection is an illusion, and as such, I believe there is no "Most broken deck ever", (I might be wrong) but those kinds of decks that claim to be are by type uninteractable, boring and far too narrow-minded.

Primordial Hydra wastes their turn when stumbling over a Doom Blade if they tap out for it, tokens are easily dispatchable by means such as Consume the Meek or Wrath of God. From what I gather from his deck, it seems amateurish and meant to be fun for him. What is fun is a question of perspective. Some like having to play around/with Counterspell, others like infinite combos such as Deceiver Exarch/ Splinter Twin and others like unconsistent, flavour-loaded thematic decks.

Now, if you want to show him how to control a game, why not make a black-centered control deck? You can easily massacre his creatures with your creature removal, make sure he never gets back on his feet with discard such as Shrine of Limitless Power or Mind Sludge and ultimately finish him off with a Sheoldred, Whispering One or a sinister Exsanguinate fueled by Caged Sun or the like.

Good luck.
I want to build the ultimate broken deck. I'll call it "Vengence." Yes. It will have a name. Thing is, I'm a noob and have no idea where to start. Any suggestion is a good suggestion. Fire away! (Please an thank you :3 )

I feel that the deck you described doesn't warrant the kind of specific hate some Posters have been recommending, so I encourage you to build a solid general deck instead. Mainlky because, if this guy leaves the playgroup (or stops playing the deck) then you are now stuck with a highly specific hate deck.

Here is a budget list of (something resembling) :R::B: Affinity:
Show

2 Buried Ruin
4 DarkSteel Citadel
4 Sulfurous Springs
4 Seat Of The Synod
4 Vault Of Whispers
4 Great Furnace

4 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Vault Skirge
4 Atog
2 Master Of Etherium

2 SpringLeaf Drum
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Cranial Plating

This is $58.32 at CoolStuffInc (not including Shipping or Basic Lands). The Artifact Lands are easily the most expensive thing here and while they are synergystic, they could be cut without damaging the deck too much.

Here is a budget :U::G::W: Ally list:

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

See, the problem with him is that... This was a random deck he put together in ten minutes at my boyfriend's house, right before they came in and we had a huge doom match. (The three of us like to play Magic together.) ALL of his decks are like that. (He runs decks of every color, a LOT of Planeswalkers, Eldarazi, everything unfair against beginners.) They ALL have cards that do rediculous things like get him up to 300 health, have a creature with 400/400, etc... That's his play style. He has thousands of cards.

I spent $28 at a store today and got help from the employees to build a decent deck against him, and it is this:

What do you guys think?

You also only have 1 aura to attach to Krond the Dawn-Clad which leaves him as a difficult to cast, albeit strong card.

Righteous Blow is ok, but situational. 

Quicksilver Amulet only has a few real targets in this deck, it can get a couple of cards out for 1 mana less but that feels rather underwhelming.

Other than than, I dislike Timberland Guide.

that is a brief look over, and I apologise if it seems overly critical.  I think that with a few tweaks this could be a strong deck, did you say that you have an angel deck?
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I played a non official tournament with some guys at my local card shop and he guy who hosts uses a deck that can mill your entire deck on turn 2 the guy who came second didnt even bother playing him  he used a brain freeze combo where he'd use high tide then and other cards to shuffle hand and graveyard back into deck he'd keep doing this till he cast enough spells so that brain freeze would mill enough cards to be your entire deck if you look up high tide on card kingdom you can see alot of cards he used (shows how original the deck is) and maby peice that deck together.
@LordUrsus

Your suggestions are amazing, but sadly, I'm the one running a green-white deck and he runs decks of all colors, with a particular fondness of black cards ahaha.
everything unfair against beginners.

There is no such a thing. Sure, some decks can be more complex to understand and to play with, but it just seems he's playing combo decks and there's nothing unfair in that. If he were using more expensive cards, it could seem even more unfair, but still, he bought them and so can you. If the strategy he's using is solid, it's up to you to break it. You shouldn't try to bring his powerlevel down, you should bring yours up, like you are currently trying.

Also this:
Ask him for a breakdown on how it works, I'm curious as there are several points that seem to be fundamental to how you describe it that really really really DON'T work, as vektor stated.

OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Ok I am seeing something along the lines of:

This is keeping as closely to possible with what you have.  Will it be perfect? No.  But it SHOULD work.

Ideal start to look at would be:

T1 Forest - Avacyn's Pilgrim
T2 Plains - Borderland Ranger OR Rampant Growth + Avacyn's Pilgrim/Doomed Traveller
T3 Whatever angel you can afford

Make sure you have some form of ramp creature in your opening hand, whether it is a ranger or a pilgrim.  You need that speed.

There are improvements that could be made, but this is the foundation for it really.
Show
@cogminded
That deck does look like a very good idea! I was trying my best ti stick to things that'll give me a lot of life though ahaha. A lot of
life fast, and spells that exile my opponent's cards.

If my current deck fails, by all means, I'll try that one ;)

If there's any really nice cards to increase life and add +1/+1 (or more, preferably +x/+x with x being a mana cost) to all creatures, I'd love to know.

I feel like I should have more instants, too... Instants are such a bitch to deal with, so I wanna kill him with them.
The problem is that life gain and removal are not win conditions, they're survival plans.

Now, you CAN make life gain into a win condition, but for that you need a dedicated life gain deck and then something like felidar sovereign.

If you want an idea for a life gain deck look up soul sisters, it used a combination of phyrexian metamorph and leonin relic-warder with soul's attendant and soul warden on the field to gain infinite life and then win with the sovereign although in casual you also have the option of something like test of endurance

If you are interested I can give you a break down of how the soul sisters combo works, if you do not know (when I first heard about it I did not get it).

For the record, you should remember that you are always well within your rights to ask your opponent to explain what he/she is doing. If you don't understand how your friends deck works, ask him. At the very worst you will learn a trick or two to use yourself to build better decks.
Show
Darn you cogminded, you beat me to soulsisters.

However, I would supplement soul sisters with

Goldnight Commander
and
Cathars' Crusade

Either one turns your sisters into win-cons.

Alternatively, Immolating souleater and Moltensteel dragon can swing for infinity.

Splash black and you get Sanguine Bond.
And of course sanguine bond + exquisite blood = infinite life drain with very little your opponent can do about it.
Show
That is a multiplayer combo from hell.
Yeah and it's hilarious when you're the one who controls it
Show
Do explain Soul Sisters... this sounds amazing haha >:D
Simple combination that exploits how the rules work:

Having soul's attendant OR soul warden AND leonin relic-warder on the field you cast phyrexian metamorph. The metamorph comes in and you copy the relic-warder, thus you get leonin relic-warders enter the battlefield effect. Since phyrexian metamorph is still an artifact it can target itself, and so exiles itself. This means that it leaves the battlefield and returns to being phyrexian metamorph not leonin relic-warder so the effect exiling it ends and the metamorph returns to the battlefield. As it enters the battlefield you can copy relic-warder again and exile itself again so it returns again and . . . Well you get the idea. And each time it enters the battlefield you gain life from the soul sisters.

Throw in felidar sovereign, test of endurance or even moltensteel dragon. Anything really that exploits lots of life (channel fireball obviously warrants a mention even if banefire and cometstorm are more viable options these days)
Show
Sanguine Blood + Exquisite Blood + Soul Sisters = ultimate broken deck XD
Hahaha... that's great! I'll have to look into that, seriously! That's AWESOME!

I added a bunch of cards to my deck today because we all went card shopping... splurged another $30 on a m12 booster and some singles. Oh **** haha *dies* my deck has like 90 cards.

Tell me what I should take out for my strategy- which is life ramp x board wipes x cards that endure board wipes in some way x cards that quickly get me a lot of land x cards that keep my opponent without many creatures in play (I mostly added artifacts, instants, enchantments, and sorcery.)

(Edit: I organized the deck list ahaha)

Other cards I got today that I could potentially possibly use:
[deck]1Doomgape
1Symbiotic Wurm
1Plated Slagwurm
1Lifelink
1Gladecover Scout
1Plummet
1Dragon's Claw
2Aegis Angel
1Kite Shield
1Crown of Empires
1Scepter of Empires
1Jade Mage
1Manor Gargoyle
1Viridian Corrupter
1Stonewood Invocation
1Signal Pest
1Crescendo of War
2Magus of the Moat
1Arbiter of Knollridge
1Firemane Angel[/deck]

I have expanded my horizons and decided to make a red/blue deck... I guess black is next. So those blood cards will be awesome and helpful later on! But for right now, this is what I have... Hmm.
I do believe that you have got somewhat carried away. Before anybody can really tell you what would be best to remove/add, you need to tell us what the single prime objective of your deck is. The strategy that you mentioned listed a number of effects that support an objective, but no actual objective. You want to create a lot of mana for yourself, but what really do you want to use that mana for? You want to build up lots of life, but to what end? To win you need to reduce your opponents' life, and each card you draw like Angel's Mercy is doing nothing to make that happen - it's not helping you win, it's just helping you to lose more slowly. Don't get me wrong, there can be good reasons for wanting to gain life, some of which have been mentioned in this thread, but what are yours?

It seems that you like angels and other large, stompy creatures. If your main objective is to get these onto the battlefield, then pick out the cards that in some way help you to do so. These large creatures have high mana costs, and since you're using green it makes good sense to have some mana ramp in the deck - keep this element of the deck. While you're building up your mana, other players will be building up their armies, so you'll also want to keep your control elements (cards that can disrupt your opponents' plans are essential if you want to get as far as playing your big creatures), and chump blockers that can defend you in combat in the early stages. Board wipes are also good. And of course you need your large creatures. Life gain can, admittedly, also help to keep you going whilst you build up your resources, but I maintain that you're better off drawing cards that either advance your position (mana ramp), or hinder your opponents (control).

If the angels/fatties is the strategy you want to go with, here are some cards I'd remove right away:

Gavony Township - doesn't fit this sort of deck (see Honor of the Pure).
Timberland Guide - it's just a chump blocker that does nothing else for you. Doomed Traveler is two chump blockers for half the price - that's what you want to be drawing, not this.
Honor of the Pure - this is really intended for decks that make a high number of small, white creatures, not a few large ones. You've got a 6/6 in play - this makes it a 7/7 (+1/+1 to your side - so what); you've got 6 1/1s in play - this makes them 6 2/2s (+6/+6 to your side actually makes a significant difference).
Leveler - I see what you're thinking, with the Elixir of Immortality, but a card that you can't put into play until you've managed to get another card is generally a bad idea. It's not going to be as good as it looks anyway, unless you can give it evasion of some sort, and Rancor and Spirit Mantle are your only cards that can do so.
Elixir of Immortality - without Leveler in the deck this is fairly useless.
Wurm's Tooth - really, the only time this is plausibly worth it is in a mono-green deck.
Angel's Tomb - it's not big, it's not helping you to get something big. It's definitely not worth it unless you put another ten or so creatures into your deck.
Angel's Mercy - I've pretty much given my argument against this.
Bountiful Harvest - ...and this.
Travel Preparations - doesn't really fit this sort of deck.

That's 18 down, putting you on 69 (dude!), I think. There are a few more that could be good, but aren't at the moment:

Herald of War - wants more humans and/or angels to play with, otherwise it's just not worth it.
Worldslayer - not a good idea unless you can find a lot more ways to help your stuff to survive.
Scroll of Avacyn - not worth it unless you're going to use more angels.
Bladed Bracers - not worth it without more humans and/or angels. Probably not worth it either way.

Cards I'd consider from the other list:

Symbiotic Wurm would be good with the board sweepers.
Plated Slagwurm just is very good.
Plummet, depending upon whether you're up against dragons, or some such thing - bit of a sideboard card, really.
Manor Gargoyle survives sweepers.
Magus of the Moat - the crowd goes wild for this if you limit your large creatures to angels and other fliers!

After all that it's really just a matter of balancing the numbers, so that you have the right quantities of mana ramp cards, control cards, large creature cards and land cards. A few pointers on that score:

Mana ramp cards are needed early game. That means you need a fair few of them. This is the problem with them, though, because once you have enough mana they become pretty much useless draws. There's not much you can easily do about that, except don't put in too many. About 8-10, maybe?
Large creatures are only useful once you have enough mana to be able to play them. About 8-10 of these might be about right, too.
Land - since you have mana ramp, you don't need quite so much land. Depending on how much mana ramp you have, you may only need about 20-22.
Walls/chump blockers/early game defenses come under the same heading as mana ramp - good early on, a bit useless late game.
Control is always potentially useful as long as the control cards you've chosen for your deck are appropriate for messing with your opponents' decks. Have plenty of this going on!

Well, that's kept me entertained until way after my bedtime (damn you, internet!). Hope it helps! 
I thought I did mention this lol

My main objective is, in short, to take down my friend in a match of revenge for all of the broken decks he's put me against im the bitchiest/ most broken way possible XD

The Gavony Township cards would add (if I had both in play) +2/+2 to all of my creatures every turn. I personally think that's pretty nice lol

The life ramps are just for trolling. He always ends his games by swinging at me for something rediculous like 400/400 and still has 270 life points while I die.

I see your point with Angel's Tomb, but suppose I have all three out and summon a creature, then tap two Gavony Townships? Those artifacts become three 5/5 white angels. Idk, it's a thought. I could swing at him with everything and possibly take him down.

I also see what you mean with Herald of War lol... Hmm. Idk, I just need it in there to have a creature who can attack. It actually kinda sucks, except for earlier in the game, because if you put it in play and your opponent already has a 4/4 creature or higher, you really can't attack and therefore can't up its power beyond 3/3. I'll consider removing it.

Why would Leveler and Elixir of Life depend on each other? I don't see the connection XD

Wurm's Tooth is good because this guy favours green decks ahaha :P But he also favours black decks. I have it in there just in case.

Good call on the Wurms and the Gargoyle, by the way!

So yeah... The way this guy plays, he gets a lot of crazy broken-strong creatures on the field fast and drags out how he's gonna kill you- really drags it out, like it's more fun for him that way (it probably is; not for me though.) My plot is to irritate him with board wipes, and take him DOWN as quickly as possible. I need my big fatties to kick him good and hard. :D And my angels help because his creatures don't tend to have flying. He doesn't like white decks/ cards all that much.

Yup! Thanks for the help! :D
Tell me what I should take out for my strategy- which is life ramp x board wipes x cards that endure board wipes in some way x cards that quickly get me a lot of land x cards that keep my opponent without many creatures in play (I mostly added artifacts, instants, enchantments, and sorcery.)

This isn't so much a strategy as it is an awkward jumble of effects. 
You should focus on one of these, rather than stretching yourself too far and trying to do everything.

My main objective is, in short, to take down my friend in a match of revenge for all of the broken decks he's put me against im the bitchiest/ most broken way possible

This is best accomplished with a coherent list which is united by a single purpose. 

I would scrap most of your current deck, as it has far too many singles, is over 60 cards, includes a handful of rubbish cards and has no coherent theme/strategy.

I feel that your best chance in building a decent deck is if you point out a card, mechanic or interaction you like and have us help you build around it. You will likely have to start from the ground-up.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

 That's so sad-making lol

I'd like to stick to cards I already have... So I guess the one thing I'd really like to stick to is habing a lot of board wipes and a lot of highly powerful indestructables, so the board wipes don't affect them and I can swing at my opponent and kill him (even though he likely has mana ramps and life ramps).
So I guess the one thing I'd really like to stick to is habing a lot of board wipes and a lot of highly powerful indestructables

I don't see a whole lot in your lists which support either aim and they're quite unfocussed anyway, so I'm going to suggest a handful of cards/mechanics you could build around to support this:

You could consider a :G::R: deck with an emphasis on Undying creatures. You could play a PyroClasm, kill your own Young Wolf and StrangleRoot Geist, and then have them return stronger - while wiping your opponents field!

You could consider a :G::R: deck with an emphasis on Eldrazi Monument and Elf Ramp. Ramp into a Eldrazi Monument and then burn everything for the win!

You could consider a :B::R: deck with an emphasis on Phylactery Lich. Put the Phylactery Counter on DarkSteel Citadel or DarkSteel Ingot and you are able to happily burn away!

You could consider a :W::R: deck with an emphasis on Knight Exemplar. Get 2 on the field an all your Knights are indestructible, so you can cast as much Burn as you want.

And, finally, here is a deck I've been tinkering with for a while which suits your requirements: :R::W: Board Wipes
Show

3 Mountain
4 Teetering Peaks
4 BattleField Forge
4 Clifftop Retreat
10 Plains

4 Nomads en-Kor
4 Warrior en-Kor
4 Outrider en-Kor
4 DarkSteel Myr
2 Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
4 Stuffy Doll

4 Rebuff The Wicked
4 Pyroclasm[/C]3 [c]Loxodon WarHammer
2 WildFire

The idea is to redirect all damage from the en-Kor to Indestructible creatures or Cho Manno. You win via sheer en-Kor damage, burn or Stuffy Doll.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

I thought I did mention this lol My main objective is, in short, to take down my friend in a match of revenge for all of the broken decks he's put me against im the bitchiest/ most broken way possible XD The Gavony Township cards would add (if I had both in play) +2/+2 to all of my creatures every turn. I personally think that's pretty nice lol The life ramps are just for trolling. He always ends his games by swinging at me for something rediculous like 400/400 and still has 270 life points while I die. I see your point with Angel's Tomb, but suppose I have all three out and summon a creature, then tap two Gavony Townships? Those artifacts become three 5/5 white angels. Idk, it's a thought. I could swing at him with everything and possibly take him down. I also see what you mean with Herald of War lol... Hmm. Idk, I just need it in there to have a creature who can attack. It actually kinda sucks, except for earlier in the game, because if you put it in play and your opponent already has a 4/4 creature or higher, you really can't attack and therefore can't up its power beyond 3/3. I'll consider removing it. Why would Leveler and Elixir of Life depend on each other? I don't see the connection XD Wurm's Tooth is good because this guy favours green decks ahaha :P But he also favours black decks. I have it in there just in case. Good call on the Wurms and the Gargoyle, by the way! So yeah... The way this guy plays, he gets a lot of crazy broken-strong creatures on the field fast and drags out how he's gonna kill you- really drags it out, like it's more fun for him that way (it probably is; not for me though.) My plot is to irritate him with board wipes, and take him DOWN as quickly as possible. I need my big fatties to kick him good and hard. :D And my angels help because his creatures don't tend to have flying. He doesn't like white decks/ cards all that much. Yup! Thanks for the help! :D

Heh! I suppose I more sort of meant your deck's objective, rather than yours, but you mention board wipes and fatties that will survive them - that'll do it, but you'll need more fatties and more board wipes. To make space for these you'll have to remove the stuff I've mentioned plus some. I see that you're keen on the life gain stuff, but trust me, they're some of your weakest cards. If you do really want to beat the guy then you need to lose that stuff.

As for the Townships and Honor of the Pure... these cards are only as good as the number of creatures you have in play. Your deck is focusing on a few big creatures, not lots of little ones. You miss a small detail too - +2/+2 to your creatures for a turn, yes, but it costs 8 mana AND you have to tap the Townships themselves to do that. So what do you do? Give your two or three creatures +2/+2 each for a turn, or play a ten mana turbo-fatty?

Angel Tomb... You've fallen into a trap that I and many others have fallen into when we're new to deck building. It's no good building your decks on a basis of 'suppose this specific situation occurs'. An effect that occurs only when you put a creature into play belongs exclusively in decks that put a lot of creatures or creature tokens into play, and that's not what you're trying to do. When you're choosing a card for a deck you need to ask yourself whether this is the best way that 3 mana can be spent to achieve the deck's purpose. The Tomb can admittedly survive Day of Judgement, but it isn't right for this deck.

Leveler/Elixir... I think that maybe you are unaware of one of the rules of the game. That being that if you are supposed to draw a card at any point, but there are none left in your library, then you automatically lose the game. There are decks that are built around the strategy of depleting opponents' libraries so that they win in this way. Leveler without Elixir is basically an automatic lose card for you.

Your strategy sounds fine - it should give him trouble, but if you want it to work, then you need to focus on it a lot more and lose extraneous stuff like life gain and Honor of the Pure. Lose anything, in fact, that isn't mana ramp, control, board wipes, good early game defense (walls and chump blockers, for example), fatties that survive, or otherwise benefit from board wipes in some way, and land. Really, trust me, a strong deck is a focused deck!
Okay, I see your point.

Suppose I take out the Angel's Tombs and put in their place three Angelic walls, instead?

I did hear you out- I've removed the Herald of Wars, the Timberland Guide, and the bladed bracers. I guess added to the list of removed cards are the Angel's Tombs, the Gavony Townships, and the Scroll of Avacyn.

The thing about the Leveler, yes I was aware of that... I'm curious, does that card also make your opponent discard their library? Because that was my intention- to have both of us have no libraries left, and win the game by having a higher life count (we decide who wins if it's a draw or has to end early by who has the most life.)
(PS: Did I forget to post this? I did add the two wurms, the gargoyle, and the two Aegis Angel. A combo I'm fond of is Aegis Angel soulbonded with Wolfir Silverheart, where Aegis Angel gave Wolfir Silverheart its indestructability and flying, and Wolfir Silverheart gave itself and Aegis Angel +4/+4 haha)
Heh! No, it would be broken way beyond the point of retarded if everyone exiled their libraries because all your opponents would be forced to draw before you at the begining of their turns and would all automatically lose. Only you would remove your library.

Angelic Walls are a far better choice for this deck. One of those should be able to block most creatures that are in play during the early game, and that's the sort of thing you need.

The deck will work much better without the cards you've removed, I guarantee it. The last rule of thumb is to keep your deck to as close to 60 cards as you can. Ideally you want 60 cards exactly. Try and get your numbers down to between 60 and 62 and post what you come up with so that we can advise further.