Newbie help?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone, I just joined today, and have no cards at all, and wanted to try this out. All I have is a bunch of Pokemon cards, which I'm not selling. I just wanted to know some nice tips that I'll need to know, and I noticed a bunch of different tournament formats, and I didn't know which was the most common. I would also like to know whether this is a kid friendly game, for kids 12 and up to play, because I really haven't heard of any children playing. And of course, if you can help me with what starter deck is the best to start with, that would be awesome, I'm on a very tight budget, so if you know a cheap theme deck that is good to start with, please post. If you have an answer to any of the requests above, please help me and reply. If you have any other helpful tips or comments, I would gladly appreciate it.
   Thank you,
          -PizzapartyLaughing
I am posting in this thread because I think Pizzaparty is a great name.

I don't know how common it is, but a couple of the card shops in my area sell bulk cards, like a box of 500 for $5 or something along those lines. Card shops also often give out basic land cards for free. You won't get any particularly noteworthy cards, but it could be a good way to start a collection for super cheap.

You could also check ebay or other online vendors.
the fastest start into the game would be the Event Decks
they are Standard legal so you can bring them to FNM, they are relatively competitive and come with tips how to improve them.

I'm a big fan of those decks ;)
just try to get one from Innistrad block, they are more likely to survive the fall rotation.

if you want more freedom look up winning decklists and buy the singles to build them
for example here are the decks that won last week: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...
proud member of the 2011 community team
Man, replies come fast, lol. Anyways, thanks, I'l make sure I look that up, both the Innistrad block thing and the 500 for $5 thing. And at metavolence, thanks. Also, enigma, I saw something about event decks somewhere on a Pokemon site I go on, and thats why I decided to check this game out lol. Thanks again, any other help is appreciated, -Pizzaparty
the fastest start into the game would be the Event Decks
they are Standard legal so you can bring them to FNM, they are relatively competitive and come with tips how to improve them.

I'm a big fan of those decks ;)

I know, right.  Pre-con deck technology has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last five years or so. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

It is kid-friendly, there are a bunch of them where I'm playing. 

As others have said, Standard is the most common tournament format, played with the cards from the last 2 years. The yearly rotation is coming up in a few months though, when the new set (Return to Ravnica) is released, so it would be best to only invest in cards from this years block (Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored & M13) and not so much last years block which will rotate out (Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, M12).

Event Decks are a good place to start. 
Next to that, in my experience a lot of seasoned Magic players are also eager to help, so it could be a good thing to find some that want you to teach the game and may give you some bulk commons they don't need but you can use =) 
Thanks you all for the above posts. I have another question, I've seen a bunch of different deck types, like Theme Decks, intro packs, event decks, and some that come with 2 decks, and it seems like the Theme decks are the cheapest. What are the differences of all these decks? Since I'm on a tight budget, I might go with that one if they are all just about the same. I just want a deck that can get me started and is cheap, and I don't know how consistantly I'll play. Thanks.
Good luck pizza party you will have fun.

I also am wondering which of the intro , event decks etc are best. I have a friend who is interested in learning, so I was gonna get him one of those.  I also haven't played in a year so i don't know which set has the best premade decks for him to use. I think creature or human knights would be best for him. Which set do you guys recommend that I buy them from?  

It was pretty much the same question as op so I didn't want to create a new thread. Thanks guys

Theme decks and Intro packs are the same, they used to be called Theme but Intro now I think. They're a good place to start and the cards are standard-legal, but they're not very competitive so if you want to play tournaments you'll need to add yourself. If you just want to try out the game in a casual setting they're a great place to start though.

Event decks are an 'upgraded' version of intro/theme decks, more competitive, usable for tournaments.

Duel decks (with 2 decks) are casual decks that are not meant for tournaments, they contain lots of older cards not standard-legal anymore. Lots of fun but not a good place to start.
Event Decks are Standard legal decks tuned to be competitive at the lowest level (FNM) and contain cards roughly worth the price of the box if you would buy them as singles.

Intro Decks are there to highlight mechanics of a set.
they are not tuned to be competitive, but to show off mechanics/flavors
the cards in them are usually worth way less than the box

Theme Decks are older Intro Decks, they renamed them some years ago
Okay thanks.  Any particular event decks you like? (from the innistrad) block ?  When I go to the store tomorrow I'll just get event decks.  If they have them
I'm partial to "Spiraling Doom", since Birthing Pod with Undying is just mean ;)
but it depends on your taste/playstyle, that's an decision that is yours to make.

in a few weeks there will be new Event Decks (from M13) as well.
Yeah I was looking at spiraling doom as well. I am gonna get him an easy(ier) deckand then one that requires more thinking, etc

you can do an event deck, or look at the budget decks on the daily mtg. some of them are playable and competitive

is it kid friendly? I would say yes. We have very competive people at our FNM and we have some young ones too. All sorts of experience thru the ages. and the great thing is that the more experienced players are willing to help the less experienced ones

----------------------- I’m going to TRANSFORM him, and unleash the savage instincts that lie hidden within… . [

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Avenger.jpg)

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Thanks, I think I may just go with an intro pack, because I'm not sure if I'll want to compete in tournaments competitively right away, and since they are cheaper I may get 2. I was also thinking of getting a bulk lot over at Troll and Toad, but it seems like this may be easier. Also, when does this new set, M13 come out? Thanks, again, -Pizzaparty
Pre-release events for M13 will begin on Saturday, July 7, and the set will officially hit stores for sale the following Friday, July 13.
Thanks, maybe I'll go to a prerealese then. Also, are their any other event/intro decks that you guys reccomend? I just wanted to know, so I have some choices when I get one. I was looking at this Innistrad one on TnT, (Hold the Line) and it was $10 more than the other one, whats up with that? Thanks, -Pizzaparty
Update: BTW, how much do they Pre-realeses cost? I know the Pokemon ones are $25, but I coulnd't find how much these ones are. And, for the open dueling, do you need to pay for that too? Because it says you get an intro pack if you do that. Thanks
The event deck hold the line seems to be my favorite. I got it for my friend and it's good.
Thanks, maybe I'll go to a prerealese then. Also, are their any other event/intro decks that you guys reccomend? I just wanted to know, so I have some choices when I get one. I was looking at this Innistrad one on TnT, (Hold the Line) and it was $10 more than the other one, whats up with that? Thanks, -Pizzaparty
Update: BTW, how much do they Pre-realeses cost? I know the Pokemon ones are $25, but I coulnd't find how much these ones are. And, for the open dueling, do you need to pay for that too? Because it says you get an intro pack if you do that. Thanks

Looking over the deck list for it there should be no reason for it to be that much more.  I would shop around.  Unless the other event decks are selling for like $10, then I would snap as many of the others at such a low price as you can.  I think the Even Decks are around $25 each.

Pre-release is going to depend on what the store charges.  I have gone to one but I think it was around $30.  I would call up the stores and find out.

You probably also want to do some drafts as well so you get more familure with the game itself and a limited format.  You are going to loose a lot at first but its going to be a learning experience and have to get it out of the way one way or another.  I would find the shops you are interested in, call them up and find out when they do drafts and then attend them.  That way you get a feel for the game and also for the shop.  Especially with a pre-release where you are going to spend a lot of time there that day.

Open dueling, I don't know about because I haven't seen that before.  I am going to assume you have to pay for the intro pack.  Again that is something you need to call the store(s) you are interested in about.  Reason is stores are owned by different people so while there is some standardization each place will be run a little or a lot different.
Just bought a  Sluaghterhouse Avacyn Restored intro pack, seems nice, maybe I can try it out within a week. BTW, what are tokens? Because some of my cards say something to do with a "token" and I'm not sure what it means. Also, FNM, is it a tournament? Or is it like a league? And 1 last question, am I allowed to use pokemon sleeves and a pokemon playmat if I did enter a tournament? Thanks! -Pizzaparty
you can use anything as tokens, as long as the gamestate is clear

FNM is a tournament every friday night

as long as the cards fit in there and aren't marked, sure
^ Thanks, that helped, so tokens are like markers for stuff? Just to make sure. Oh,haha, and one more question actually, what is Standard type II? Because I was looking at my local hobby shop's website and it it said that for most of the days of the week. Thanks again, -Pizzaparty
Type II is the old name for "Standard"
Thanks. And is there any way I can possibly improve my new Slaughterhouse deck? You know, so maybe I can find those cards at the hobby shop to make it better?
Tokens are "cards" (they're not actually cards) that some effects create, for example White Sun's Zenith
you don't have to use the official tokens for that, anything you and your opponent agree on will do, most commonly it's facedown cards or dice
Thanks. And is there any way I can possibly improve my new Slaughterhouse deck? You know, so maybe I can find those cards at the hobby shop to make it better?

ask that in the Standard forum below, they can help you better than I can
Just bought a  Sluaghterhouse Avacyn Restored intro pack, seems nice, maybe I can try it out within a week. BTW, what are tokens? Because some of my cards say something to do with a "token" and I'm not sure what it means. Also, FNM, is it a tournament? Or is it like a league? And 1 last question, am I allowed to use pokemon sleeves and a pokemon playmat if I did enter a tournament? Thanks! -Pizzaparty

If you want to play a 2-color deck (like your Slaughterhouse deck) you will make things easier for yourself if you include dual lands, for example, Dragonskull Summit and Blackcleave Cliffs.

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
^ Thanks, I'll make sure to look into that stuff . Alas, I have yet another question, I was looking at my local hobby shop's site, and for one of the days it say, " Peasant Standard". I was wondering what that is. Thanks, -Pizzaparty
"Peasant Standard" means Standard with a few extra deck construction rules. IIRC, Peasant limits the rarity of the cards in your deck--your deck must consist mostly of commons, with a maximum of five uncommons; rares and mythic rares aren't permitted at all.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Sign In to post comments