Age?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone, I just joined and I have a question and couldn't find an answer to. I actually have a couple questions, but they are all similar:
1. Are their age divisions in tournaments? I just wanted to know, so then if I ended up playing in a tournament I wouldn't get paired up with someone with a ten year age difference.
2. Is this game kid friendly? I know a few people who have kids who are 12-15 and were interested, but didn't know if this game was right for them, they've played Pokemon, but wanted to try this.
3. Is the community friendly? I'm coming from the Pokemon community, and everyone is friendly, giving newbies tips, and no one is too out of control, and everyone is nice to each other. I've heard some things  that said MTG doesn't have that great of community.
    Thank you for spending your time to read this, any help is appreciated.
   - Pizzaparty Laughing
1. no, every age is in the same category
not even sure if there is a minimum age for Magic.
I guess there is one for tournament with prizes for legal reasons, not sure.

2. it's quite complicated, not sure how it compares to yugioh but I guess 12-15 should be fine

3. it depends on your region, I guess. but so far all the people I met through Magic have been great (some rude people on MTGO excluded, but I guess that is what anonymity does. I've been known to lose my temper as well on there ;))
proud member of the 2011 community team
I've never seen age divisions at tournaments.

Magic is a very complex game.  Having other game experience can help.  Personally, I don't enjoy the game with people under a certain age but there are always exceptions.

The Magic community by and large will be the same.  However, there are certain types of players that
give gamers a bad rep.  Unfortunately you'll run into these types now and again.  When/if you do please don't get discouraged.  With enough effort you can find wonderful people to play with. 
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I was playing Magic at least as early as 7th grade, which would be 12ish, so that should be fine. Unless your talking about the stupid "kid friendly," in which case it still should be fine aside from the ocasional Macabre Waltz or Feast of the Unicorn, but fairly sure they'd be able to handle it.

It depends on where you look, but most Magic players I know are pretty cool people. Possibly because I naturally stop associating with jerkfaces, but still the fact that I was able to build such an extensive network of nice people who play should be a good sign regardless. Really you can find bad examples of any fandom, so it'd prolly be best to take any stories you hear with a grain of salt and just be friendly yourself, it'll ake other nice people like you and any jerkfaces will filter themselves out.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Thank you all for your replies, I did not expect so so fast, awesome. And to RPJesus, thanks, I meant community wise, but still thank you for the input and those cards. Community wise, it seems I've heard wrong then, thank you all for informing me. I'll make sure I check out a league or something in the next week or two and see how the kids like it. Thanks again.
Really you can find bad examples of any fandom, so it'd prolly be best to take any stories you hear with a grain of salt and just be friendly yourself, it'll ake other nice people like you and any jerkfaces will filter themselves out.


I have a friend who owns a game store, and his stories of the more immature players seem just outright rediculous.  One of the more interesting things he mentioned was how his nonmagic customers where uncomfotable around the magic crew.

Seems like every shop that holds Magic has its archetypes, and there always seems to be the smelly
types, the jerkwads, and the normally cool people.  Some places seem to have more people that take the game WAY too seriously than others.

That said, most of the people I've met through playing this silly game are awesome.  I've met many of my best friends because of Magic.

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
There used to be junior championships tournaments for (I think) players under 18, but I haven't heard anything about them in years. Those were very high-level tournaments that ran alongside the World Championships.

I'd say the game is suitable for 13 and up, and the occasional exceptional mind even younger than that. At the nearest store to me, I'd say the bulk of the crowd appears to range from about 15 to about 20. At thirtymumble years old I was definitely an outlier, though there were a few others I'm sure were well over 20. When I started the game seemed to attract a mostly college-age crowd but I'd say "mostly high-school age" is closer now. (And, at least among competitive players, women/girls seem even scarcer than I remember them being in the 90s; the female players I know, you couldn't pay them enough to go near a tournament.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Well the questions have been answered, but I thought I'd offer my own input into 2 and 3. The community I find is very friendly (my local community, at least), and even the online forums are mostly good. Of course, on any online forum you're bound to find a few trolls here and there, and I'd imagine Pokemon is no different.

As for age - I'd think of it like chess. You're capable of learning chess at a very young age, and some people might even be exceptional at it (like a child prodigy). However, most people will find that they get best at it as they get older and wiser, and are more capable of understanding the strategies involved in it. Magic's pretty similar, and my own experience reflects this - I played a little bit while I was in early high school, but was never very good at it. However, having picked it back up again 3 years ago (at 22), I'm much better now and would dare say I'm a pretty decent player. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
and then there are players like me who rarely play live (mostly on Magic Online), but attend the occasional pre-release tournament or booster draft

I'm 41 (42 in six days) and remember when Magic was first launched at GenCon back in the early 90's

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320


My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

There used to be junior championships tournaments for (I think) players under 18, but I haven't heard anything about them in years. Those were very high-level tournaments that ran alongside the World Championships.

The Junior Super Series (JSS) tournaments were 16 or less for some amount and time, and 18 or less for some amount of time, but they don't exist anymore.

All Generalizations are Bad
Hey everyone, I just joined and I have a question and couldn't find an answer to. I actually have a couple questions, but they are all similar:
1. Are their age divisions in tournaments? I just wanted to know, so then if I ended up playing in a tournament I wouldn't get paired up with someone with a ten year age difference.
2. Is this game kid friendly? I know a few people who have kids who are 12-15 and were interested, but didn't know if this game was right for them, they've played Pokemon, but wanted to try this.
3. Is the community friendly? I'm coming from the Pokemon community, and everyone is friendly, giving newbies tips, and no one is too out of control, and everyone is nice to each other. I've heard some things  that said MTG doesn't have that great of community.
    Thank you for spending your time to read this, any help is appreciated.
   - Pizzaparty 


At the Local Store level (FNM) I find many good helpful players. Some people are just dorks, and that is what it is in life in general. There are some (I try to be one) who try to tutor new players to recruit new players, which makes the game better for everyone.
I do this by:
1. Not destroying them the first time they play with my "good" decks.
2. Helping them understand the rules, and allowing them to "take back" move
3. Trading them stuff at a loss to myself (within reason ;p)
4. Advising them NOT to start with a net deck, but rather learn how to build each of the deck types on their own first, then decide what to play later. They learn the cards in the set quicker, and that get's them hooked on the game sooner.

We have an 8 year old who plays and does pretty well. Usually goes like 2-3.

MTG is NOT like the other games. They are checkers, we play chess

Since you inquired about tournaments, remember that MTG has some very high level tournaments where thousands of dollars are on the line, so people who play at that level are going to be more serious about rules and winning rather than having fun (though I can imagine winning $40,000 at a PT would be pretty fun!).

In the two cities I've played in, I've found that there's usually one or two stores that caters to the more hard-core competitive players. I avoid those places as my 12-yo daughter and I like to play more casually, and we always have a fun and friendly experience at other local game/comic shops. Of course, there's always going to be the occassional jerk or two, but they are always in the minority.