Planeswalkers Bios from Duels 2013

128 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, to multiple people's amazement, they are nailing down a lot of details about the various walkers. I dread Elspeth's entry, because we've already had established details regarding her. For that matter, the same can be said of Tezzeret. Anyways, without further ado, I give you the planeswalker bios. I'll update as the info is given to me.

Garruk Wildspeaker (Primal Hunter, Relentless, Veil-Cursed)

Human Male, Age 36

Height/Weight: 8'2", 480lbs

Style of Magic: Green-mana based animal magic, especially summoning

Favored creatures: Apex forest predators such as baloths

Favored spells: Invocations that magnify might, size and ferocity

Distinguishing features: Wears a helmet that used to belong to this father's killer. Wields a weapon made from the claw of an ursoth, a Shandalar beast.

Overview: Garruk is a hunter and summoner who believes the way to revere nature is to live like a predator. He has a dark side though - one that fears what happens to a predator when it begins to enjoy the kill.

Quote: "They call me a monster. They're wrong. I am a thousand of them."

Allies: None

Enemies: Liliana Vess. While hunting on Shandalar, Garruk fought necromancer Liliana Vess. She used a relic called the Chain Veil to defeat him. Garruk's magic is now corrupted by the Veil's curse. Now he hunts her, determined to make her lift it.

Associations: Jace Belern. Garruk knew Jace was associated with Liliana and demanded that he reveal her location. Because Garruk wouldn't take "I don't know" for an answer, Jace named a random plane, prolonging Garruk's search.

Green mana. It's what a growing boy needs...

Liliana Vess (Shadow Caller, She of the Veil)

Human Female, Apparent Age 26, Real Age over 200

Height/Weight: 5'9", 140lbs

Style of Magic: Black-mana based necromancy

Favored creatures: Ghouls, Demons, Imps

Favored spells: Reanimation of the dead and spells that steal life-force.

Distinguishing features: Lines etched into her skin glow violet when she channels mana. Often wears a metal headdress.

Overview: Ravishing, capricious and utterly selfish, Lilian Vess is a formidable necromancer. When her power began to wane, she made a deal with four demons to secure her youth and dark might. Unwilling to serve them, she now seeks a way out of her infernal bargain.

Quote: "Death is no excuse for disobedience."

Enemies: Garruk Wildspeaker. While retrieving a relic for one of her demon masters, Liliana crossed and fought Garruk and used the relic - the Chain Veil - to defeat him. Liliana now seeks to use the Veil to destroy the demons to whom she is indebted.

Associations: Jace Beleren and Nicol Bolas. While working for a cabal on Ravnica, Lilana made a deal with the dragon Nicol Bolas and was involved with Jace Beleren, but in the end abandoned both for her own interests.

How crass. You never ask a lady her weight.

Jace Beleren (Illusionist, Memory Adept, Mind Sculptor)

Human Male, Age 23

Height/Weight: 5'10", 160lbs

Style of Magic: Blue-mana based mind magic

Favored creatures: Wizards, Illusions and Mimics

Favored spells: Intellect enhancement, memory manipulation and countermagic

Distinguishing features: Favors a hooded cloak. Often seen with white markings on his chin and right cheek.

Overview: Jace is a prodigy of mind magic, far too smart for his own good and able to peer into the minds of others. But when you can change others' minds as well as your own, how do you know what's real?

Quote: "It's good to learn from your failures, but I prefer to learn form the failures of others."

Enemies: Chandra Nalaar, Tezzeret. While working for the artificer Tezzeret's cabal, Jace pursued Chandra to retrieve a stolen scroll and the two became rivals. Later Jace faced and defeated Tezzeret, then assumed control of the cabal's resources on Ravnica.

Associations: Liliana Vess, Garruk Wildspeaker. Jace and Liliana were formerly lovers. When Garruk began to hunt Liliana, intending to force her to remove the curse she put on him, he sought out Jace, knowing of their association.

Kind of surprised Chandra was declared a full blown enemy considering Garruk STRANGLED THE CRAP OUT OF HIM.

Ajani Goldmane (Pride's Claw, Vengeant One)

Leonin Male, Apparent Age 30

Height/Weight: 6'6", 250lbs

Style of Magic: White-mana based aura magic

Favored creatures: Other leonin, champions of light

Favored spells: Enhancements and rituals that strengthen others, not himself

Distinguishing features: Blind in left eye. Carries double-bladed axe, one blade which belonged to his brother Jazel, murdered by an agent of Nicol Bolas.

Overview: The leonin Ajani Goldmane wields magic that conjures the soul's light in others - but not his own. He is a master auramancer, enhancing the life-force of allies as he defends them with absolute loyalty. Ajani is the only planeswalker to have faced Nicol Bolas in single combat and lived.

Quote: "One's blade is only as sharp as one's conviction"

Enemies: Nicol Bolas. When Ajani's brother Jazel was murdered, Ajani followed a path back to the dragon mastermind Nicol Bolas. The two faced off at the Maelstrom on Alara, where Ajani conjured Nicol Bolas's double, driving the dragon to a stalemate.

Associations: Sarkhan Vol. On discovery of Jazel's lifeless body, Ajani's Planeswalker spark ignited, sending him to nearby Jund. There he met dragon-worshiping Planeswalker Sarkhan Vol, who encouraged him to channel his rage to planeswalk home.

So, we get a gander at Ajani... and he is apparently 30. Which is interesting, since he's always been described as a young sort. So what that tells me is Leonin have a longer lifespan than humans on average.
Also, weird that we count Sakrhan as an associate but not Elspeth.

Chandra Nalaar (The Firebrand, Ablaze)

Human Female, Age 20

Height/Weight: 5'6", 130lbs

Style of Magic: Pyromancy

Favored creatures: Creatures born or made of flame

Favored spells: Conjurations of heat and flame

Distinguishing features: Wears goggles that enable her to see through her own flames. Often wears a mana-enhancing gauntlet on her right arm.

Overview: Chandra is a pyromantic prodigy - a natural talent with fire magic - who despises authority. Her flames run so hot that they threaten to consume her. She seeks a way of controlling her own fire in a way that doesn't dampen her fierce individualism.

Quote: "Who'd want to ignite things one at a time?"

Allies: Gideon Jura. When Chandra's adoptive home plane was threatened, hieromancer Gideon became Chandra's reluctant ally, guiding her through trials that led to the liberation of her people.

Enemies: Jace Beleren, Sarkhan Vol. Jace was sent to retrieve a sacred scroll Chandra had stolen. The scroll contained a map that led them both to Zendikar. When they arrived, the dragon-worshiping Planeswalker Sarkhan Vol, an agent of Nicol Bolas was waiting. Only by combining their efforts could they overcome Sarkhan.

And Chandra.
These details seem a bit out of sync with the published material, for one I'm fairly certain she was supposed to be closer in age to Jace. For another, she was described as being very tall for a woman.
I'm also surprised that they listed Gideon as her ally and Sarkhan as her enemy.

Nicol Bolas (Mastermind, Emperor, Ancient One)

Male Dragon, Aged over 20,000

Height/Weight: 60 feet long/wide, 60 tons

Style of Magic: Master of blue, black, and red mana

Favored creatures: None - any that exploits a foe's weakness

Favored spells: Mind attacks and murderous sorcery

Distinguishing features: Two long, curved horns - unusual for a dragon. Between the horns floats an ovid object of mysterious origin.

Overview: Nicol Bolas is among the oldest and most evil beings in the Multiverse. He has lived for over twenty millennia and has survived countless cataclysms. Nicol Bolas once had immeasurable power and has a grand scheme for reacquiring his godhood.

Quote: "The finest pawns are those with pawns of their own."

Allies: Sarkhan Vol, Tezzeret. Sarkhan Vol was driven mad and became a servant of Nicol Bolas. The artificer Tezzeret was pressed into Nicol Bolas's service and was later rescued and rebuilt by him after being left for dead by Jace Beleren.

Enemies: Ajani Goldmane. When Nicol Bolas sought to seize Alara's mana, Ajani confronted him and drove him to a stalemate. Nicol Bolas left the plane with only part of the prize he had planned to take.

Associations: Liliana Vess, Jace Beleren. Nicol Bolas seems to have special plans for Jace and made a deal with Liliana that involved manipulating the mind mage.

And Bolas, with small details that aren't quite exactly right in a number of places. Nothing terribly egregious, but just enough to go "Now, wait a tick..."
EIGHT FOOT TWO?
EIGHT FOOT TWO?

Meaty Man Mountain.
Also apparently Momma Baloth's cooking will put some meat on them bones.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Human Male, Age 36

This is further solid evidence against the Recent Mending model. If Elspeth is an oldwalker, Garruk HAS to be as well, based on this age. That, or the Mending has to have happened many decades ago, as suggested by Barinellos's timeline.

Wields a weapon made from the claw of an ursoth, a Shandalar beast.

More Shandalar. Whaaaat is going oooon

Overview: Garruk is a hunter and summoner who believes the way to revere nature is to live like a predator. He has a dark side though - one that fears what happens to a predator when it begins to enjoy the kill.

It's like he has character depth or something! I'm liking Garruk more and more, actually, as we find out more about him.

Real Age over 200

Again, more evidence for the Barinellos model of the timeline.

Later Jace faced and defeated Tezzeret, then assumed control of the cabal's resources on Ravnica.

Good to see that he didn't take over the WHOLE Infinite Consortium. They seem to be sticking to what Brady said. Still peeved that it happened off screen, though.

Also, THANK GOD WE HAVE CONFIRMATION THAT JACE AND CHANDRA AREN'T AN ITEM. Now we can point to this and tell people to shut up. That's marvelous.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
This is further solid evidence against the Recent Mending model. If Elspeth is an oldwalker, Garruk HAS to be as well, based on this age. That, or the Mending has to have happened many decades ago, as suggested by Barinellos's timeline.

Right up until they retcon Elspeth's age, despite having solid solid data about how old she is.

Uhhh... that one was kind of obvious since the Onnake are on Shandalar and garruk was only on the plane to hunt the Ursoth.
Also, THANK GOD WE HAVE CONFIRMATION THAT JACE AND CHANDRA AREN'T AN ITEM. Now we can point to this and tell people to shut up. That's marvelous.

Jace isn't near man enough to tame that burning hottie. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I wonder if Elsepth is in the game, i'd like to see what's put down for her age.
… and then, the squirrels came.

Uhhh... that one was kind of obvious since the Onnake are on Shandalar and garruk was only on the plane to hunt the Ursoth.

Well, all I can say is herp herpa derp. -_-
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Jace isn't near man enough to tame that Red-Hot Hottie

Fixed that for you.

Well, all I can say is herp herpa derp. -_-

All I can say is WHY DON'T WE HAVE AN URSOTH CARD YET!?
Ajani is up.
Kind of interesting he falls into place as an auramancer.
Makes sense, but I still find it a little surprising.
Liliana's favoured creatures. I actually just re-read Agents of Artifice, and I noticed that throughout the book Liliana mostly uses shades, spectres and other translucent spirit-like undead. And she is scared by Nicol Bolas just mentioning that there are demons on Grixis.

I'm being nitpicky though. She was probably trying to be subtle and/or not horrify Jace too much by using ghouls (which I assume are the same thing as zombies). She used zombies on Innistrad.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
Overview: The leonin Ajani Goldmane wields magic that conjures the soul's light in others - but not his own.

Hmmm...
Ajani Goldmane wields magic that conjures the soul's light

soul's light

HOLY CRAP AJANI MANIPULATES AT FIELDS

HE'S AN ANGEL

He even has white hair. From now on I'm referring to him as Catwaru.
Overview: The leonin Ajani Goldmane wields magic that conjures the soul's light in others - but not his own.

Hmmm...
Ajani Goldmane wields magic that conjures the soul's light

soul's light

HOLY CRAP AJANI MANIPULATES AT FIELDS

HE'S AN ANGEL

He even has white hair. From now on I'm referring to him as Catwaru.

While amusing, he lacks that red orb thing, so he can't be an angel.

Also, he makes for a very lame angel.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
"Ajani is the only planeswalker to have faced Nicol Bolas in single combat and lived. "

Um...wut?

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

"Ajani is the only planeswalker to have faced Nicol Bolas in single combat and lived. "

Um...wut?

He was spared because Bolas took interest in someone else in the party IIRC.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

Um...wut?

He was spared because Bolas took interest in someone else in the party IIRC.

Actually it's because Radha threatened to shank Venser if he didn't stop.
I miss Radha. ):

She had a big stick.
Wait, Ajani's strong enough to summon a creature of some kind that is a duplicate in strength enough that it's capable of fighting of Bolas on its own? Well, I suppose it makes sense when you consider his original card's ultimate did something of a similar nature. And yea, because it says "apparent age" I'd assume that the leonin, or at least the Nacatl, are capable of living for a couple centuries. To my knowledge that just makes it elves,leonin, and giants the only living creatures capable of existing that long.
I think this helps explain some of the problems with Marisi, no? If they can live longer, that would explain how Bolas managed to have Marisi as his cat's paw (sorrysorrysorry) for a century.
Keeper I'm ashamed of you!
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I think this helps explain some of the problems with Marisi, no? If they can live longer, that would explain how Bolas managed to have Marisi as his cat's paw (sorrysorrysorry) for a century.

Somewhat: Yes it fixes part of the issue: how the nacatal fell and marisi was still around. It's only been a generation or two. It doesn't allow us to stepinto the "alara was aback up plan for bolas all along" as marisi still isn't long lived enough to have been around before Bolas' imprisonment. Unless Bolas somehow started the alara tricks right after his release, but then that puts the timeline right back where we had it.So he would have had to set it all up from his meditation realm while imprisoned...whcih isn't unplausible.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I just assume every race lives longer than humans do. Except goblins.

Teferi lost his spark so technically Ajani is the only planeswalker to have faced Nicol Bolas in single combat and lived. Because Teferi is not a planeswalker. Any more.

Jeez, you loose your spark and poof, people forget everything you did.

This must be why no one knows anything about Ob Nixilis.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />This must be why no one knows anything about Ob Nixilis.

Who?

(Legitimate question veiled by humor by the way)
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />This must be why no one knows anything about Ob Nixilis.

Who?

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. See the art, the flavor text? That's all we know about him. Nothing else.

Who was him, from where? When was his spark lost? What did he during the eldrazi crisis? We don't know. He's just a throaway character to show us how Zendikar interacts weirdly with magic and sparks.

[<o>]
[Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. See the art, the flavor text? That's all we know about him. Nothing else.

Who was him, from where? When was his spark lost? What did he during the eldrazi crisis? We don't know. He's just a throaway character to show us how Zendikar interacts weirdly with magic and sparks.

Not entirely, we know he isn't originally a demon, but a demon because that was the form he had when his spark went kaboom.

Aside from that, Marisi still stated that Bolas had drawn out his life far in excess of what a Leonin normally lives. I wouldn't say that Leonin live for centuries (multiple) but I could see them living upwards to Agrus Kos's age.

We know the Coil was only broken in the previous generation well before Ajani and Jazal were born. Tenoch's mother was a kit when it happened and she was like.... 80-90 when the conflux rolled up.

Chandra is up.

Also, you are now all imagining Bolas as Gendo Ikari.

Who?

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. See the art, the flavor text? That's all we know about him. Nothing else.

I havent read any lore/books from Zendikar (if there are any), but was anything said about WHY, let alone how, the Eldrazi got there? It might be interesting to find out that he lost his spark somehow as a result of the Eldrazi arriving there.
I havent read any lore/books from Zendikar (if there are any), but was anything said about WHY, let alone how, the Eldrazi got there? It might be interesting to find out that he lost his spark somehow as a result of the Eldrazi arriving there.

wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Eldrazi

The Eldarzi were sealed when Sorin, Ugin, and an unnamed lithomancer lured them to Zendikar and sealed them away. Doing this forever changed the nature of Zendikar.

This is why Sorin returned to Zendikar, to ensure that the Eldrazi would remain sealed.

Ob had nothing to do with it.
I believe that his reasoning is not that it was the imprisonment of the Eldrazi and Ob's role (and actual lack thereof) that caused him to lose his spark but simply that it might have been a result of the Eldrazi being there for one reason or another.
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)

Unless Ob is our unnamed lithomancer who then lost his spark.  He is influenced by the land (Landfall) after all and it would be an interesting twist if Sorin was all "Jerk-faces left this crap to me and didn't show up as promised!" and all along Ob was there, but was Sparkless, crazy, and angrily roving the plane.

Unless Ob is our unnamed lithomancer who then lost his spark.  He is influenced by the land (Landfall) after all and it would be an interesting twist if Sorin was all "Jerk-faces left this crap to me and didn't show up as promised!" and all along Ob was there, but was Sparkless, crazy, and angrily roving the plane.

He isn't. We have complete total confirmation of that.
Ob literally has no story built around him. They told us that as far back as Zendikar.
I just assume every race lives longer than humans do. Except goblins.

Teferi lost his spark so technically Ajani is the only planeswalker to have faced Nicol Bolas in single combat and lived. Because Teferi is not a planeswalker. Any more.

Jeez, you loose your spark and poof, people forget everything you did.

This must be why no one knows anything about Ob Nixilis.

Actually, apparently Teferi not only DID fight Bolas, but in fact somehow managed to both survive his touch relatively sane and stayed alive as a severed head, sharing his knowledge of the time rifts with Bolas in the process.

....This is what happens when I get sidetracked. I start reading about Ob, and 2 hours later I'm reading about Bolas failing to kill someone even after reducing them to a severed head.

No, All three planeswalkers left Zendikar... twice.
Wears goggles that enable her to see through her own flames. Often wears a mana-enhancing gauntlet on her right arm.

Did we know that? I know it was originally just Rule Of Cooled into existence by the artist. Cool to see it has a purpose now.
Gideon Jura. When Chandra's adoptive home plane was threatened, hieromancer Gideon became Chandra's reluctant ally, guiding her through trials that led to the liberation of her people.

Interesting to see him counted as a straight ally...

Nicol Bolas (Mastermind, Emperor, Ancient One, Gendo Ikari)

All according to the scenario...

Between the horns floats an ovid object of mysterious origin.

Guess we still don't get to know what that's about. >_>

Nicol Bolas once had immeasurable power and has a grand scheme for reacquiring his godhood.

"First, I'll clone my dead wife..."

So, Eid's (and other's) criticism back during Alara (that the ancient genius planeswalker's plan was "Smash shards together, nom nom nom Mana" wasn't actually true. Now, whether they've actually got a scheme planned out, or they're just making things up as they go along a la The X Files.....

Quote: "The finest pawns are those with pawns of their own."

Hehehehe oh Bolas.

Nicol Bolas seems to have special plans for Jace and made a deal with Liliana that involved manipulating the mind mage.

Interesting... I wonder if this is a hint that Bolas still wants to sink his teeth into Jace? ...Or something else, perhaps? Hehehehe special plans hehehehehehe

I'm torn between reading all of this as more fuel for slashfic and reading this as an excuse to draw Jace muttering to himself "I mustn't run away... I mustn't run away..."

How disgusting.
I'm torn between reading all of this as more fuel for slashfic and reading this as an excuse to draw Jace muttering to himself "I mustn't run away... I mustn't run away..."

There's very little difference.
Did we know that? I know it was originally just Rule Of Cooled into existence by the artist. Cool to see it has a purpose now.

Yeah, Covered in Purifying Fire and somewhere else aside.

We haven't seen the art for Gem of Becoming but I can guess at it...

How disgusting.

and cue Tamiyo singing Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars...

How disgusting.

And then cut to Chandra riding a flaming Leotau down a road singing "Highway to Hell."
And then cut to Chandra riding a flaming Leotau down a road singing "Highway to Hell."

... I don't think you get what we're talking about.

How disgusting.

That got quite a belly laugh out of me.

And yes, good point about the Gem of Becoming. I wouldn't bet against the possibility, at any rate...

Actually, this is one of the things I hate about spoiler season: getting raw card text. Oh, sure, it's great for all the Timmys and Spikes and Johnnys but for someone like me it's super frustrating because the information I care most about is missing. See also: people who translate all the text in a card except flavor text.

Just wait for Shandalar Block.

Just wait for Shandalar Block.

TOO LONG
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻