My latest idea. I can has feedback?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a new idea that I just came up with. Now you all know that the most infamous pandemic of the middle ages was the plague. It infected most of Europe and killed thousands of people. In my books the plague was a Biosafety Level 4 agent. Highly contagious and no known cures or treatment protocols. Nowadays it is probably a Level 2 or 3 agent. 

This takes place in the Court of King Arthur and his castle Camelot. It all happened during a feast in the great hall, little did they the food was contaminated before the group, the knights, and king ate it. A few days later, the king was sick in his own bed, when the doctor came to examine him, what he saw was not good.

"I want his majesty isolated immediately! Tell the guards that Arthur is not to leave this room for any reason!" he ordered to a servant. The servant obeyed and alerted the captain of the guard that the town doctor ordered the king's isolation. As such two guards secured the royal bed chamber and stood watch to ensure that the order was kept. The doctor returned to the town to inform the others on the situation.

A few days later Sir Lancelot came down with the same illness along with three others. Getting nervous a squire to Sir Lancelot went to leave the castle complex when he noticed that the doors were blocked from the outside and could not be opened. Informing the captain of the guard of this, he went over to try the doors himself. After finding that they were blocked he tried the other gateways but found that they were sealed too.

"That's odd, they have not been locked like this before." he said.

"Sir you had better come look at this!" a guard said from atop the castle wall. When the captain went up to take a look, what he saw was shocking. The castle was surrounded by armed peasants wearing full plate armor. They, along with the town guards were setting up inverted defences around the moat. The draw bridge was blockaded by metal barriers.

"ATTENTION! RESIDENTS OF CAMELOT, YOU ARE NOW UNDER QUARANTINE! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE!" one of the peasants yelled. All the windows were being covered with plastic and glass seals. The whole complex began to panic and rush the doors only to find that they were trapped inside. The idea was simple, nobody came out and no one went in. Soon doctors entered the castle in special hazmat armor. They confirmed that the illness was indeed the plague.

Rumor has it that a research facility has discovered a cure for the plague. The facility was located in a dragon's lair for security reasons. The group's only hope is to get the cure from the facility and hope that it is not too late. In order to embark on this quest, they must breach quarantine and escape the town un infected. Can they do this and find the cure?

So what do you think about this?

My real screen name is WAR10CK. Space pirate science, We do what must because we can.

Why would a cure be kept away from people?
Why would a peasant tell people what others can and cannot do?
How would peasants get full plate armor when it's the most expensive?
How would peasants get the strength to carry full plate armor?
How would peasants get the skill to wear full plate armor?
Why would there be a hazmat suit when they don't even know about germs?
Why wouldn't the group become infected?  It would add a timer as they got sicker and sicker.
Why don't they just use magic?
Why would a cure be kept away from people?
Why would a peasant tell people what others can and cannot do?
How would peasants get full plate armor when it's the most expensive?
How would peasants get the strength to carry full plate armor?
How would peasants get the skill to wear full plate armor?
Why would there be a hazmat suit when they don't even know about germs?
Why wouldn't the group become infected?  It would add a timer as they got sicker and sicker.
Why don't they just use magic?

I will answer each question individually. 

1. The cure it still only experimental. Humans trials have not been authorized yet. That is why it is being kept a secret officially. Plus there are only a few batches preasent in the lab. For it to be practical there has to be large stockpiles of the cure secured. The idea is that they have to convince the scientists inside to let them test the drug on their own king.

2. It is by the King's Law that they must do this. The Public Heath Law that he signed made it madatory for the people of the kingdom regardless of caste to build, enforce, maintain a quarantine of a plague infected area. It includes the power to overrule royal authority if it is necessary to maintain the qaurantine. The town doctors are the only ones who can decide that the quarantine be lifted. But the decision must be made freely without any sort of influence.

3. Containment is our absolute priority and people must be supplied with any and all equipment deemed necessary to enforce it. Chances are that the soldiers inside the quarantine zone will attempt to escape. They must be prepared to stop any attempt to breach the hot zone.

4. Strength must be maintained as required by law. To prepare for defence or any other time in which it is needed.

5. The same law applies for skills too.

6. They do know that protection from contact with contaminated lifeforms and materials will keep them from getting sick.

7. Getting sick is not an option of they are to make it through other populated areas. The whole world is on alert with orders to qaurantine anyone with symptoms.

8. They used magic way too much and now it has become resistant to it. Survival of the fittest, the bacteria has been exposed to magic so many times that it has adapted to make itself a null magic organism. Also other strains have adapted to feed on magical energy and use it to spread even faster.

My real screen name is WAR10CK. Space pirate science, We do what must because we can.

1.  I still don't understand why a beneficial drug would be not only kept secret, but guarded by a dragon(which kind?).  A weapon, yes.  A cure, no.  It's not like they have to worry about copywrites selling the cure.

2.  There's a special law just for disease that overrides every other law ever made?  The king's law is that anybody at any time can call for the entire town to be locked down?  This is not a practical law.  I can't think of a single governmental system that lets the lowest caste have this much power.  When there's a king, power is focused on one person.  I think you are trying to tie a republic in, but there will still be a stand in for when the king is indisposed.

3.  Full plate is necessary?  Normal commoners would normally have leather, at most.  Your typical commoner will be too busy to properly keep up full plate armor.

4.  There's strength, and then there's full plate.  You are saying the average strength of a human in this kingdom is as high as a trained fighter in any other place?  Where do they find the time to do this while doing their jobs from morning to night?  Even the common soldier isn't decked in full plate.  Not in D&D or anywhere else I know of.

5.  I guess I worded it wrong then.  In D&D, the ability for any commoner to wear full plate is several feats.  They all spent time to learn the full plate, rather than the traditional skill focus that alowed them to feed their families better?

6.  Protection would translate to gloves and maybe clothes covering the skin.  A biohazard suit is well beyond that.  Until we found out about germs, there was no such thing as a hazmat suit.

8.  So everyone has resistance to magic in your world?  That must suck for any players who want to cast spells.

And now this brings up more points.
9.  If peasants have the power to lock down government, why don't they have the power to let some people get the cure for their king?  And don't say 'they follow the rules'.  If the commoners had this power and they ran things by the rules, there would be a provision about getting the cure.  When most people are dying from a slow killing disease, they will want a chance for a cure.  They definitely would not lock themselves in.  That takes a dedication to lawfull well beyond even dwarves.

10.  Why would there even be a quarentine law in the first place?  Sure, diseases are bad, but that is just what martial law is for.

11.  Why don't the players just teleport out?  A teleportation circle for a mighty kingdom is nothing.  They would most likely even have scrolls ready in case there was an emergency.
They tried Martial Law before and what happaned was the entire kingdom rebelled against the order and made the situation worse. This is a different way that they are trying as a more humane alternitive.

Keeping the cure quiet until it is ready is the best course of action. Otherwise people will rush the lab and fight over who gets it first. The facility would become an arena and it does not need to be one.

There is an alternitive to this problem though. I could also do it the real world way in which they have resonable checks and balances inside the Q-Zone ie they would quarantine the complex and screen for symptoms. Only the bug is resistant to magic. I could set it up so that they can detect the presence of the bug by seeing if the person is resistant to magic. A special diagnostic spell could be used to screen each person or a detect anti-magic check too.

If they are affected by it, they are clear and allowed to pass. If they are resistant or are showing symptoms, then they are infected and ordered to stay inside the complex. Teleportation circles would be too risky due to magic eating strain which so far has not infected people yet but is still isolated to the complex and very capable of spreading to people.

Now to add the cure provision. The peasants have heard the rumors of a cure too. They have sent numerous people to obtain the cure from the facility but none returned. Also the facility has a magic nullification field around it for security reasons as this used to be a space pirate weapons lab until it abandoned and turned into a medical research facility.

However the group has been ordered to stay in the hot zone due to a false positive. So they will have to break quarantine.

As for the full plate logic hole, they take the art of war extremely seriously due to a savage massacare by a enemy kingdom that killed off half the population. Thus they take no chances any more and have to train once every year. "Arm youself because no one else here will save you!" They still have time to do their normal stuff.

Does this help?

Full Plate is pretty expensive, though. I can see the peasants being part of a militia which can be mobilised in times of war (and thus forming the bulk of the army themselves, their quarantine action could be seen to be just another kind of martial law anyway) but how does each of them get decked out in knight's armour? Usually a militia would consist of light infantry, I would have thought, since you'd want them to be more mobile anyway - leather, or chain at best.

Not that it's a big deal, but giving them all full plate adds a touch of unrealism which throws the rest of it into a harsher light (it kind of draws attention to the other holes, too).
You are right about the fact that plate armor is expensive and hinders mobility. However (Sci-Fi ALERT!) we have be doing a little thing called R&D.

We have been experimenting with verious different alloys of metal to create a full plate armor suit that is cheaper to maufacture and have better mobility. Verious matarials we are currently exploring include:

Demon Steel- A very strong, flexible material that can easily be shaped into to anything. Can be crafted an edge with the thickness of a single atom without breaking. Can only be found in the nether world. Prototype suits in field tests have shown that it is still a little cumbersome to use. A bit uncomfortable and can pinch.

Phazite- A special type of Phazon Ore that can be crafted into any shape and is extremely hard. Allows for moderate flexibility and very abundent on the planet phaaze or any other planet with phazon deposits. The planet we are on has a large phazon deposit in the areas beyond the kingdom. Materal must be mined. It is slightly heavier then Demon Steel. Prototypes were disasterous. Cumbersome to use and the meterial was radioactive.

Adamantium- A highy flexible material that is light weight and extremely strong. With similar properties as Demon Steel including the ease of crafting it and the ability to create nano sharp blades it is currently the best one so far. The material must be mined but is extremely abundent. Prototypes were very successful with the most free movement of the three. Also the lightest of the three too. Can be hardend to control the flexibility. Very comfortable for the user.

Our knights are very skeptical about it and decided not to use it (they do not know what they are missing out on.). But the peasants seem to find it very easy to use. So this is what they are equiped with and that is the reason we are using full plate armor.

Well, OK.

It just seems like you are jumping through a lot of hoops to make simple thing fit when it could just as easily be altered. I mean, is there any reason why the peasant has to be wearing full plate? Couldn't you just say an "armed peasant".

But yeah, in principle, breaking out of a quarantined area to go get a possible cure sounds like a potential adventure. Rather than getting caught up in explaining the details, though, I would just tweak it a bit so that it fits a bit. For example, maybe instead of the prince it's just the city's govenor or somesuch - someone who has the knowledge and power to suggest the quest to the PCs, but not someone who's absolutely powerful and thus is beholden to the various laws of the realm. Likewise there's no reason some of the regular military couldn't be doing the quarantining too, amongst the peasants - they've just called up the militia since they need extra bodies.
OP, it's like every time you post, you open up more and more inconsistancies.
Different Alloys?  Then the party should have access to all this, right?
Demon Steel: They can tell what the width of an atom is now?  Why are there peasants at all?  All along, this has been a medieval styled theme.  You've gone from modern to 200 years in the future now.
You know what?  You just want to say magic did it with no questioning.  If your players are fine with it, sure.  But changing reality when questions are asked is not a good way to run a game.  We've gone from King Arthur and his court, to modern day hazmat suits, to futuristic manipulation of materials and proceedures.  It's starting to sound like one of those campaigns that has a grass hut town one day's walk from a modern civilization. 

You need to ask yourself if you want a concept, or if you want a believable module.
Or I could just say that aliens helped us. Would that work too?

Also what should I call the R & D labs, someone in my group suggested Area "any number besides 51". Anything that might sound more medieval?  

Ignore research entirely.  Kill the quarentine.

A nearby dragon has decided it is finally powerful enough to take over King Arthur's Court.  Using arcane magic, the dragon contacted an outer plane of chaos.  It used some of it's wealth to purchase a certain ritual.  This ritual distorts the magic inside all creatures. 
Only a few things were found out by the mages of the castle before they were overcome:
1. It subverts magic.  So wizards and clerics are the first to fall.
2. It is highly contagious.  It spreads with contact, blood, fluid transfer, or flea bites carried on rats.
3. Nobody has found out how the contagion was introduced(make it food or water).
4. It has an incubation period of a few days.
5. It takes x weeks to kill someone, though a coma is one of the first symptoms.
6. Who cast the ritual.
7. Where the person is.
8. A counterspell cannot be designed without the ritual(since it's outerplanar).
Not leaving it at just that, the dragon also cast a confusion spell on the populace.  The weaker willed ones(peasants and some military) were affected.  The spell reverses loyalties towards a specific target(the king in this case).  It will only last a couple weeks(1 day/dragon level), but that is surely enough time to kill off all the important people in the town.
With these in motion, the dragon sits in his lair and watches as Camelot undoes itself.  The castle guard has their hands full trying to keep the forces at bay.  How long can they last?

The players have a few tasks at hand now:
1. They must avoid a magic curse.  Maybe even find out how all this was introduced.
2. They must escape the castle with as few casualties as possible.  It is besieged by the townsfolk and some guards.  Military caches were raided, so SOME of the forces have better gear than the others(think standard monsters vs minions). 
3. The party must traverse the land and navigate treacherous terrain to reach the dragon's lair.
4. The party must get past the hazards, traps, and minions of the dragon.
5. The party must not only beat the dragon, but find out where the ritual is hidden(doubt the dragon will leave it in the open or with it's hoard).
6. They will have to travel back to Camelot, sneak back into the castle, and use a wizard's lab to reverse the effects while inside the magic's sphere of influence(so that it targets the curse).
That is a good idea for an adventure that one of my friends who is not a Sci-Fi alien time paradox DM. I will forward this to him. He will love it.

So based on what I have so far:

1. A magic resistant plague has been found to have infected the king.
2. It is highly contagious and uses contact, blood, fluid transmisson, and rats and fleas.
3. The origin of the outbreak is unknown, possibly food or water contamination.
4. Under the public health law, the commonfolk have placed the Camelot under quarantine.
5. Samples sent to the ye olde maximum containment facility for analysis.
6. They discover that the bug has an incubation period of three days. 
7. It takes approxmately 1 week for symptoms to appear and then another week to kill the victim.
8. They also confirm the transmission vectors.
9. Later in the advanture they find that the DNA was altered and it now has a rapid reproductive rate which is an R knout of 2. meaning that for every one person sick, 2 more people can contract it.
10. Because of the nature of the mutations, they suspect it was some entity that created it, maybe a mad wizard, demon, or mage.

There are rumors that a cure has been found in an old abondoned Space Pirate weapons lab now turned into a medical research institute. The facility is in a dragon's lair. The commonfolk have sent many people there to retrieve it but none returned. Their best men (the group) are stuck in the hot zone due to a false positive during screening.

The group now has to complete the following objectives:

1. Find a way to break quarantine while avoiding infection.
2. Breaching the quarantine zone will be easier said then done, so minimise all casualties.
3. Once outside the hot zone make their way to the dragon's lair which is located in the most treacherous areas of the whole kingdom.
4. They might want to get some better gear and maybe some help too along the way.
5. Somewhere along the line they will learn the codes to open the facility entrance.
6. Once they arrive at the lair, they must avoid or fight off the dragon long enough to enter the codes and open the facility blast doors.
7. They could try using dilpomacy and or bluffing to get past the dragon without the need to use any force. But that will require alot of luck, if it works the dragon might give them a side quest to complete before being allowed to pass.
8. Once inside the facility they must make their way to the Biosafety Level 4 laboratories while avoiding and or bypassing all security systems.
9. Regardless of whether they are authorized to be in there or not, they must pass through a decon chamber to be cleaned before going into the laboratory sector. There they must adhere to standard clean room practices for each approprate level.
10. Once at the Biosafety Level 4 labs they must go through another decon chamber and follow all protocols listed in the labs.
11. They must convince the scientists there to give them some extra samples of the cure.
12. From here they have some options, they can have the samples air lifted back to Camelot, or they can carry it back themselves. If they opt for the air lift, they can ride along or head back themselves.
13. Once the cure has been delivered, they must now go and kill the entity that created this disease who has now been identified. Once the king and everyone in the complex is treated the commonfolk will lift the quarantine and things will go back to normal.
14. As for defeating the villien who created the bug, well they just find its lair, survive it and kill the entity inside, you know the drill.

The concept is OK, but your details seem a bit off, and the explanations for them are bogging you down. When you take the "peasants in demon-steel armour" out and just write down those bullet points, it actually looks more or less OK.

You need to decide exactly what sort of setting. Sci-fi? Fine, but a "quasi-medieval fantasy setting" sci-fi? Regardless, you need to get that clear, then you can reflavour the above to suit.

You can of course have a less sci-fi-sounding research "lab" if you make it, say, a den of a weird cult or group of wizards. These sorts of people are known for tampering with the forces of the universe (though through magic rather than science) so it's easy to have something like this cropping up.
There is a way that I can implement the scientists. On the D&D wiki there is exists a home brew class called the biomancer. This class is essentially dedicated to scientific research. This is who will be working in the labs. I will be posting the stats on my blog soon. But they are very sophisticated for a medieval class.

community.wizards.com/1337dndmtcn3rd/blo... link here.

This is a new idea that I just came up with. Now you all know that the most infamous pandemic of the middle ages was the plague. It infected most of Europe and killed thousands of people. In my books the plague was a Biosafety Level 4 agent. Highly contagious and no known cures or treatment protocols. Nowadays it is probably a Level 2 or 3 agent. 

This takes place in the Court of King Arthur and his castle Camelot. It all happened during a feast in the great hall, little did they the food was contaminated before the group, the knights, and king ate it. A few days later, the king was sick in his own bed, when the doctor came to examine him, what he saw was not good.

"I want his majesty isolated immediately! Tell the guards that Arthur is not to leave this room for any reason!" he ordered to a servant. The servant obeyed and alerted the captain of the guard that the town doctor ordered the king's isolation. As such two guards secured the royal bed chamber and stood watch to ensure that the order was kept. The doctor returned to the town to inform the others on the situation.

A few days later Sir Lancelot came down with the same illness along with three others. Getting nervous a squire to Sir Lancelot went to leave the castle complex when he noticed that the doors were blocked from the outside and could not be opened. Informing the captain of the guard of this, he went over to try the doors himself. After finding that they were blocked he tried the other gateways but found that they were sealed too.

"That's odd, they have not been locked like this before." he said.

"Sir you had better come look at this!" a guard said from atop the castle wall. When the captain went up to take a look, what he saw was shocking. The castle was surrounded by armed peasants wearing full plate armor. They, along with the town guards were setting up inverted defences around the moat. The draw bridge was blockaded by metal barriers.

"ATTENTION! RESIDENTS OF CAMELOT, YOU ARE NOW UNDER QUARANTINE! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE!" one of the peasants yelled. All the windows were being covered with plastic and glass seals. The whole complex began to panic and rush the doors only to find that they were trapped inside. The idea was simple, nobody came out and no one went in. Soon doctors entered the castle in special hazmat armor. They confirmed that the illness was indeed the plague.

Rumor has it that a research facility has discovered a cure for the plague. The facility was located in a dragon's lair for security reasons. The group's only hope is to get the cure from the facility and hope that it is not too late. In order to embark on this quest, they must breach quarantine and escape the town un infected. Can they do this and find the cure?

So what do you think about this?

Have you ever read "The Masque of the Red Death", by Edgar Allen Poe?

A plague called "The Red Death" ravages an obscure countryside, and Prince Prospero gathers all his friends together in his castle, locks the doors, and has a massive and decadent party inside while the peasants suffer outside the walls.  Prospero, secure that he and his guests are safe within the walls of the castle, is horrified to find that he has an uninvited guest to his masked ball....

Roger Corman's 1964 film version with Vincent Price elaborates on the story a little, with Vincent Price clearly having a ghoulishly good time playing a sadistic, devil-worshipping Prospero, whose wickedness is directly responsible for bringing the Red Death upon his land... the sort of character that would make a respectable D&D villain.

Trap the PCs in Prospero's dungeon while the plague escalates outside, pit them against Prospero's evil guests, guards, and servants, have the PCs help keep infected peasant mobs outside, leave the PCs torn between helping innocent people who might be infected get inside or leave them locked outside just to be safe, stop human sacrifices that Prospero's cultsists are attempting to make to help protect the guests from harm from the Red Death incarnate, meet evil alchemists and sorcerors who are conducting human experiments on peasants in order to find a cure, have the PCs come face to face with the Red Death itself so they might play a game of chess against Death for their lives and bargain with Death to help it bring Prospero down, give the PCs a chance to disguise themselves for the masked ball so they can sneak by the guards, and arrange a dramatic show-down with Prospero in his decadent ballroom among masked guests with mixed loyalties.

There's a lot of ground you can cover with Poe's classic story as an inspiration!

[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
Sign In to post comments