Continued 4e Support?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All,

I'm sure this must have been discussed already, but I'm curious if there has been any word on keeping the 4e character generator and other software available?  I for one enjoy the 4e rules and I find the database, monster builder and character builder programs extra handy.  It would be a shame if they disappeared.
No word.

We had word. Then it was de-worded. And now we have no word.

I am hopfeful. But not confident.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Could argue how much support there was for 4e in the first place. Numerous mistakes made (like Essentials mucking up the established game-play by retroing into the existing character classes; books that were 1/2 4e, half Essentials; classes getting late or slow support; errata nerfing published material; and more). Some things seem like they weren't even play-tested, or just overlooked. Others were meticulously covered and supported extremely well.
I expect the best we can hope for is a better Open License Agreement once 5th Ed comes out.
With the spectre of D&D Next on the horizon, I anticipate that the virtual tools will go the new direction at some point. With that belief, I have begun trying to wean my group off the CB, which is difficult, to say the least. The volume of Feats and powers make it a daunting task.
So many PCs, so little time...
Well, hopefully they leave the errata up.
I'm still using the old not-on-line CB, which predates a lot of the classes, all of essentials, and has some goofy work-arounds from dirty code.
I can't see why they would remove them from the website, but if they do plan on it, I would really like to see them make the software available for download so I can put it on my computer at home.
If they keep the 4e tools online, I will continue to give them my DDI money.    Otherwise, I will not.    Hopefully, enough others feel the same way that they'll be encouraged to keep those tools available.
The amount of support from WotC for 3.x when 4e came out could be an indicator of the amount of support we can expect for 4e when D&D Next comes out.
The best I hope for is that some very savvy person will create a mod for the old character builder which would include all the more recent stuff. (I will prevent myself from getting into trouble here by ironically stating that that wish includes a more open license for such third party efforts.)
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
I'm not holding my breath for continued support, and I've already compiled much of classic 4e in pdf form for my group and myself.
I can't see why they would remove them from the website

Ditto. I mean, they might eventually, but I couldn't see them doing so in the short term. (I'm mean heck, they still have stuff for 3e and even 2e on their site... and they're in the process posting 1e stuff)

What I'd like to see is a stand-alone Character Builder, Monster Builder and a Compendium DB with a front-end sold as a once off program at the end of 4e's life-span, ie. once 5e is released.

Won't happen, but it'd be nice.

I'd also like to see the math finally retro-fixed since the excuses for not doing so (new players getting confused, yeah right) would no longer apply and they've admitted in 5e articles that the math was off and that feat taxes were actually feat taxes.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

The best I hope for is that some very savvy person will create a mod for the old character builder which would include all the more recent stuff. (I will prevent myself from getting into trouble here by ironically stating that that wish includes a more open license for such third party efforts.)

lol, it has existed for what 2 years now? I don't really keep up with it, but I'm pretty sure they support everything up through at least HoS, probably HotFW as well. Honestly I don't think there's much of a license issue. You have to have a copy of the program to use the mods. In any case, I'm highly skeptical a bunch of kids are going to pay much attention to a C&D etc, they just post the stuff on Google. It will be around forever. If the Internet has taught us anything it is that once stuff is out there you just can't really kill it and it is a waste of time trying.

I'm guessing that there will be 5e DDI. If that is true I'm also guessing that the 4e DDI stuff will remain online for good while. Mostly because there's just not a lot of reason to need to take it down. They can just stuff the 4e tools page and etc off in some corner and we can use it. No doubt eventually it won't be worth the pittance of keeping the server up and running, but that day could be far in the future.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
-Stuff-

They totally don't keep it pretty much up to date. 

COUGH, SPASM, COUGH

I wouldn't know. 
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
You guys talking about Hero Lab?  It does require a D&Di account and you have to manually update it when there is new stuff in the compendium.  And it's only as up-to-date and correct as the online Compendium .... 

Bottom line, if you are already paying for D&Di, just use that Character Builder.  In the future, if WotC drops support of the D&Di character builder, at least Hero Lab will continue to work ... well, until WotC drops support of the online Compendium....

You guys talking about Hero Lab?

I don't think so.

Heard that there's something that WotC wanted to kill, but it not only never died but actually now shames WotC by being more up to date than it's official replacement.

If they keep the 4e tools online, I will continue to give them my DDI money.    Otherwise, I will not.    Hopefully, enough others feel the same way that they'll be encouraged to keep those tools available.

I am with Swamp Dog on  that!

You guys talking about Hero Lab?

I don't think so.

Heard that there's something that WotC wanted to kill, but it not only never died but actually now shames WotC by being more up to date than it's official replacement.

With how light the mechanics released are, its not hard to add most rules elements to the program within a day or so.
Well I was under the impression you paid for a DDI account and your characters were preserved online. They take that away, then why would I continue to pay for an account?
Is there any simple way of extracting all the data from the online Compendium?

I know someone from WotC said that WotC would continue supporting the 4E online tools but I am sure that same person will lose their job in one of the twice-yearly layoffs sometime in the next two years.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom