May =/= Must

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
At least in this instance.
Garruk's Packleader in play, I drop a Garruk's Companion, a prompt came up on my screen asking if I wished to draw a card.

This is good.

I would like second/third opinions though, It's my first game so this may be an exception.
Nice! I like this change.
I guess this means we need to post any card instances where may=must.  Until we find one it might be safe to assume that there is always an option.
I guess this means we need to post any card instances where may=must.  Until we find one it might be safe to assume that there is always an option.

I figured this would be worthy of it's own thread since it's been a big Thorn in a lot of peoples' sides.
Awesome thank you for this update.

But more importantly. I officially hate you that you get to play already!
Good, I was already worried when I saw Yeva's deck. "Will you be forced to destroy an ally's flyer if you summon Stingerfling Spider if your ally's the only one with a flyer? Will you be forced to destroy 3 non-creature permanents with Terastodon even if you don't want so for whatever reason?".
You can destroy 3 of your own lands to get three 3/3 beasts
Cool. Now bring back Murder of Crows so I can use it in all it's glory.
So glad they fixed that.

Thanks for hoping on and letting us know. 
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I had an opportunity to test Curiosity, but...I was at 1 life, Underworld Dreams was in play and I didn't want to risk it...
I am pleased to hear this! Good change.

I wonder if it applies to simple things like the life gain artifacts. I wonder if "auto resolve" would turn may=must, that would make sense. 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
For what it's worth, Sphinx-bone Wand says May, but doesn't give you a choice; You have to add a counter and deal damage to target creature or player.

Unless a deck is packing an Ivory Mask though, I don't see this as being a problem.
Acutally, correction: When it asks you to deal damage to creatures or players you can press cancel (Triangle on PS3) and skip it.
Same is true for Jace's Erasure. It doesn't ask you if you want to make someone's top card go away, but you can still bypass it.

So May still isn't Must.
Just played a game with Talrand vs. Ajani. Had 2x Curiosity on my creatures. I was forced to draw a card every time damage went through.
Looks like its still must for lifegain, but w/o Punishing Fire I don't see that being a problem.
Have you guys tried playing with Auto Resolve turned off? I find it weird that it asks for some cards and doesn't for others.
IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)
Have you guys tried playing with Auto Resolve turned off? I find it weird that it asks for some cards and doesn't for others.

Actually, that's a good question. I have mine off but I haven't tried Curiosity yet.

Remember too that if a "may" effect calls you to choose a target you can press cancel (Triangle on PS3) to not choose.
This is REALLY important for the Plane Glen Elendra; when a creature you control damages an opponent it won't ask you if you want to exchange creatures and a lot of times you really won't want to. You can canel the prompt without making a decision.

Similarly, when you cast Clone it says you may have it enter the battlefield as a copy. If you press cancel while choosing a target the Clone will simply die.
Ajani's Pridemate functions as must even though it says may.
The 4/1 zombie is Liliana's deck auto returns to your hand even though it says "May" when you drop a swamp. At least it did for me but I don't know if I've done this:

Chancellor of the Spires says you may reveal the card from your opening hand to make your opponent move the top 7 cards of their library into their graveyard, but you don't actually get a choice and it automatical does that as soon as you accept the hand.
So from the sound of it May only sometimes = Must. That's a step in the right direction and a much better start than the last game had.

Please give us consistency though and give all May cards the option.  
At some point later on I'm going to check through all the mays/musts and see if the instances where may does = must are actually problematic. So far the only one I can see as being detrimental is Curiosity, what with Underworld Dreams and a mill deck.

Other ones though, like Chancellor of the Spires (and presumably Chancellor of the Forge), why would you not want it to put 7 cards of every opponent's library into the graveyard? :-p
I could see holding onto Chancellor of the Spires in a multiplayer game to avoid immediate hate, but I suppose you could always mulligan that hand away as a workaround.
Squadron Hawk forces you to search the deck. This can be quite annoying if you are playing against Jace's deck, and you play your last hawk, because you are forced to search your deck for nothing (you don't actually do anything, it "searches for nothing" without your input) and then you run into Archive Trap.

I imagine this problem will apply to all other optional library-searching cards too.
This is weird, I don't understand the inconsistency. Why not just make every may=may? And have auto resolve turn the "obvious" may=must?

This "choosing for you" is patronizing, and can often lead to unwanted results as has been mentioned. 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Squadron Hawk forces you to search the deck. This can be quite annoying if you are playing against Jace's deck, and you play your last hawk, because you are forced to search your deck for nothing (you don't actually do anything, it "searches for nothing" without your input) and then you run into Archive Trap.

I imagine this problem will apply to all other optional library-searching cards too.

Yeah, that is a problem.

But I havent tested it yet, can you use Archieve Trap right away upon Hawk entering the battlefield? Maybe they coded it so that only after you choose the permanent from your library (hawk or land for other fetchers) does the Trap's condition met? That way, you can cancel to browse your library and avoid it.
I played my last hawk, so its ability just resolved without doing anything (pretty sparkles over the hawk, timer runs down, nothing happens) and then my opponent played the trap. At no point did I have the ability to actually do anything, so there is nothing you can do to stop it.
That is really stupid design.
Useful links: