Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 - "Ancient Wilds" Deck List and Strategies

717 posts / 0 new
Last post
Edit: Now includes the promotional unlocks as well.

Main Deck:

Unlocks:
[deck]1x Yeva, Nature's Herald
1x Carven Caryatid
1x Erratic Portal
1x Acidic Slime
1x Natural Order
2x Momentous Fall
2x Wild Pair
1x Fauna Shaman
1x Vengevine
2x Pelakka Wurm
1x Lurking Predators
2x Briarpack Alpha
2x Caller of the Claw
1x Wood Elves
1x Primal Surge
1x Eternal Witness
1x Elderscale Wurm
1x Elvish Visionary
1x Stingerfling Spider
1x Thragtusk
1x Manaplasm
1x Erratic Portal
1x Herd Gnarr
1x Primordial Sage
1x Gaea's Revenge[/deck]

Promotional Unlocks:
[deck]1x Soul Of The Harvest
1x Gigantomancer
1x Decree Of Savagery
1x Spawnwrithe
1x Vengevine
1x Thragtusk
1x Beast Within
1x Joraga Warcaller
1x Manaplasm
1x Natural Order[/deck]
Now this is interesting!
And actually a copy of Natural Order!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Now this is interesting!
And actually a copy of Natural Order!

Which....Game-changer...
I'm blowing up ALL the lands.
I'm blowing up ALL the lands.

LMAO, epic post and notice there.
I'm really happy to see Natural Order in there, when I played paper magic it was one of my favorite cards
primal surge What isnt classed as a permanent?

Permanents include artifacts, creatures, lands, planeswalkers and enchantment. Non-permanents are sorceries and instants.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Permanents include artifacts, creatures, lands, planeswalkers and enchantment. Non-permanents are sorceries and instants.

Hmm, so that card is going to be pretty nuts
This deck is pretty nuts! I am truely surprised on how well designed these decks are. It's going to be hard slimming these down to 60 for once!

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

I think this deck is my favorite.
Unlinked cards:

Bond Beetle (G)
Creature – Insect
0/1
When Bond Beetle enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Elvish Visionary (typo)

Ring of Kalonia (2)
Artifact – Equipment
Equipped creature has trample.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature if it's green.
Equip: (1)

Thornweald Archer (typo)

Yeva's Forcemage (2G)
2/2
Creature – Elf Shaman 
When Yeva's Forcemage enters the battlefield, target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Roaring Primadox (3G)
4/4
Creature – Beast
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a creature you control to its owner's hand.

Thragtusk (4G)
5/3
Creature – Beast
When Tragtusk enters the battlefield, you gain 5 life.
When Tragtusk leaves the battlefield, put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.

Yeva, Nature's Herald (2GG)
4/5 Flash
Legendary Creature – Elf Shaman
You may cast green creature cards as though they had flash.

Elderscale Wurm (4GGG)
7/7 Trample
Creature – Wurm (Mythic Rare)
When Elderscale Wurm enters the battlefield, if your life total is less than 7, your life total becomes 7.
As long as you have 7 or more life, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 7 reduces it to 7 instead.
Really love the 2x Thragtusk (with FLASH!) and the land destruction in this deck. And it got some nice ffa tricks.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

This deck is pretty nuts! I am truely surprised on how well designed these decks are. It's going to be hard slimming these down to 60 for once!

Agreed.  Good to see there are not as many filler cards included this time.
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. Vengevine and Fauna Shaman?  2 x Acidic Slime With self bounce?!!? 
Three Acidic Slimes total. Yeah, I had to do the same thing Bishop.
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. Vengevine and Fauna Shaman?  2 x Acidic Slime With self bounce?!!? 

Vengevine+Fauna Shaman such a classic combo.
This deck looks more fun the more I look at it!

Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

where i shere the difference betweee packinstincts and ancient wilds?
I totally called this deck's theme some time ago in another thread!

I want to see Awakener Druid in the game. This kind of card never appeared in the series.

@Ciraxis

PI is for Timmy, this one is much more suited for Johnny.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Okay, so three copies of Wild Pair. How well can this deck build around it?

It doesn't appear to only bring out different-named creatures, so double Pelakka Wurm or Acidic Slime would be great.
I totally called this deck's theme some time ago in another thread!

I want to see Awakener Druid in the game. This kind of card never appeared in the series.

I wanted to comment on this: Awakener druid turns Forests into creatures that tap for mana.

This bodes well fo the future...

Aside from linking 0/1s, 1/1s and 2/2s, the only major application I see is Pelakka Wurm x2 or Pelakka Wurm + Elderscale Wurm. The net result of the former being two 7/7s +14 life, and the latter being +7 (or possibly more if you had less than 7) life and immortality. If you somehow have more than 1 Wild Pair you get all three wurms....

There are also multiple Primordial Sages which share Yeva's (and each others')4/5ness.
There are a fair number of applications. One thing for sure is that any creatures that have multiples in the deck can be paired.

There are also multiple Primordial Sages which share Yeva's (and each others')4/5ness.

I believe Yeva's power and toughness will be corrected to be 4/4 in a patch soon, so this pairing will only work on a temporary basis.

I believe Yeva's power and toughness will be corrected to be 4/4 in a patch soon, so this pairing will only work on a temporary basis.

If that's the case then the following fun can happen:

Yeva's Forcemage can be cast, it's EtB effect gives itself +2/+2 (making itself 4/4), then Wild Pair's EtB effect activates and summons 4/4 Yeva.

Yeva's Forcemage can EtB, give itself +2/+2 (making itself 4/4, then activate Wild Pair's EtB effect and summon 4/4 Yeva.

Ooh, I like! With there only being single copies of the associated legendary creatures in their deck's unlocks, any way to tutor for them is very, very nice.
Yeah, I really wish she was her 4/4. Way more things can grab her then off Wild Pair.

Here's the values of the creatures if anyone is wants a simple thing to look at. Can always add 6 to these values assuming you had a Giant Growth in hand and could cast it as well.
Show

Bond Beetle = 1 (can etb for 3)
Taunting Elf = 1

Elvish Visionary = 2
Awakener Druid = 2
Wood Elves = 2
Manaplasm = 2

Eternal Witness = 3
Thornweald Archer = 3

Acidic Slime = 4
Caller of the Claw = 4
Yeva's Forcemage = 4 (can etb for 8)
Herd Gnarr = 4
Fauna Shaman = 4

Ambassador Oak = 6
Briarpack Alpha = 6 (can etb for 10)

Stingerfling Spider = 7
Carven Caryatid = 7
Vengevine = 7

Roaring Primadox = 8
Wolfbriar Elemental = 8
Thragtusk = 8
Yeva, Nature's Herald = 8 (9?)

Primordial Sage = 9

Gaea's Revenge = 13
Elderscale Wurm = 14
Pelakka Wurm = 14
Terastodon = 18

Yeva's Forcemage can EtB, give itself +2/+2 (making itself 4/4, then activate Wild Pair's EtB effect and summon 4/4 Yeva.

Ooh, I like! With there only being single copies of the associated legendary creatures in their deck's unlocks, any way to tutor for them is very, very nice.

That's if they learned from Trinity's crappy EtB interactions....
Yeah, I really wish she was her 4/4. Way more things can grab her then off Wild Pair.

Here's the values of the creatures if anyone is wants a simple thing to look at. Can always add 6 to these values assuming you had a Giant Growth in hand and could cast it as well.
Show

Bond Beetle = 1 (can etb for 3)
Taunting Elf = 1

Elvish Visionary = 2
Awakener Druid = 2
Wood Elves = 2
Manaplasm = 2

Eternal Witness = 3
Thornweald Archer = 3

Acidic Slime = 4
Caller of the Claw = 4
Yeva's Forcemage = 4 (can etb for 8)
Herd Gnarr = 4
Fauna Shaman = 4

Ambassador Oak = 6
Briarpack Alpha = 6 (can etb for 10)

Stingerfling Spider = 7
Carven Caryatid = 7
Vengevine = 7

Roaring Primadox = 8
Wolfbriar Elemental = 8
Thragtusk = 8
Yeva, Nature's Herald = 8 (9?)

Primordial Sage = 9

Gaea's Revenge = 13
Elderscale Wurm = 14
Pelakka Wurm = 14
Terastodon = 18

Oh my God...I knew I was missing something. It totals the power/toughness, it doesn't have to be listed identically.
Grr! I feel dumb now because I remember making the same mistake in real magic with the damn card was released....
That's if they learned from Trinity's crappy EtB interactions....

I'm assuming this is the case since Deathbringer Liege is in Nefarox's deck. If it's not... frustrating, to say the least.
Well, I think one of the first things I'll try is seeing if using Wild Pair as the main plan of action can work. With such little ramp, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get that enchantment down before I'm running into trouble. Maybe I'll settle for a single copy for the "extra" value it provides if I draw into. Otherwise, I'll just have to leave all the shenanigans to Natural Order I think. Nothing like dropping my boy Terastodon down way earlier than he should be allowed to come into play.
Well, I think one of the first things I'll try is seeing if using Wild Pair as the main plan of action can work. With such little ramp, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get that enchantment down before I'm running into trouble. Maybe I'll settle for a single copy for the "extra" value it provides if I draw into. Otherwise, I'll just have to leave all the shenanigans to Natural Order I think. Nothing like dropping my boy Terastodon down way earlier than he should be allowed to come into play.

Turn four Natural Order into Terastodon, turn all but one of your lands into Elephants. Cool
I cannot wait for the land-destroying tomfoolery of this deck.

Turn four Natural Order into Terastodon, turn all but one of your lands into Elephants. Cool

That seems a bit risky. I think I would nuke 3 of the 3-4 of my oppoenent's lands if I had a turn 4 Natural Order. Your oppoenent will be able to trade their 3 elephants for your Teastodon at best, but you'll be able to keep pumping out threats while your opponent is suddenly 3 land drops behind and crippled.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

How does the land affected from Awakener Druid function in terms of mana tapping? Did anyone test yet?
How does the land affected from Awakener Druid function in terms of mana tapping? Did anyone test yet?

This is a great question. How?
How does it work in paper magic? The treefolk land can be tapped to add 1 green mana to the pool or alternatively being left untapped to attack/defend?
It's a 4/5 Treefolk creature that can attack or block AND a forest than can tap for green mana. Ingame it should be easier to see which of your forests is the creature. Hope this helps.
Well, obviously it is a creature that can tap for mana. Mine was a more advanced question  

I actually meant what is the auto-tap tendencies of the game when it comes to the treefolk? My guess is the game tries to tap it as late as possible but you can choose to manually tap it by pressing CTRL (for PC). And once you attack with it, the game treats as 1 of your forests is tapped. But that is only my guess, I would like to hear the reality of it.

But more importantly, can you tap it yourself to add to your mana-pool to be used at a later time during the same phase? Or is that option completely missing?

How does it work in paper magic? The treefolk land can be tapped to add 1 green mana to the pool or alternatively being left untapped to attack/defend?

Exactly.
The game allows you to preview what lands will be tapped by highlighting them before you cast the spell. If you don't like a particular configuration, you press (on PS3) the Left Analog Stick (L3), and it cycles to a different tapping configuration. In this way, it allows the player to quickly "manually tap mana".

Interesting that noone can hear or understand me. Should I use my invisibility to fight crime or for evil? (Famous Friends line) 

Because I am almost sure that is not what I asked.

Sign In to post comments