Nefarox’s "Exalted Darkness" Decklist & Unlocks

302 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
Darklit Gargoyle is gonna be pretty sweet in this deck. He will get friggin huge with all the exalted plus his own ability.
Darklit Gargoyle is gonna be pretty sweet in this deck. He will get friggin huge with all the exalted plus his own ability.

That is a really good point, I didn't think about that. 
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
No Mercy looks very strong!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!

I think the unsuspected killer in this deck might be Tormented Soul Black which helps against kill spells, unblockable.
Divinity of Pride! Easily one of my favorite cards.... both for it's power and art.

Hard to put this decks power level into perspective without playing it, but the Flyers and Souls will be monsters.

Thanks Micro.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Unlinked cards:

Duty-Bound Dead (B)
0/2 Exalted
Creature – Skeleton
(3B): Regenerate Duty-Bound Dead.

Servant of Nefarox (2B)
3/1 Exalted
Creature – Human Cleric

Duskmantle Prowler (3B)
2/2 Exalted, haste
Creature – Vampire Rogue

Ring of Xathrid (2)
Artifact – Equipment
(2): Regenerate equipped creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature if it's black.
Equip (1)

Cathedral of War
Land
Cathedral of War enters the battlefield tapped.
Exalted
(T): Add (1) to your mana pool. 

Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis (4BB)
5/5 Flying, exalted
Legendary Creature – Demon 
Whenever Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis attacks alone, depending player sacrifices a creature.

Knight of Infamy (1B)
2/1 Protection from white, exalted
Creature – Human Knight 

Knight of Glory (1W)
2/1 Protection from black, exalted
Creature – Human Knight 

Sublime Archangel (2WW)
4/3 Flying, exalted
Creature – Angel
Other creatures you control have exalted.
I really really hope Deathbringer Liege functions properly whenever you cast a duel-colored spell:

If you cast a spell that's both white and black, the last two abilities will both trigger. You may use them together to destroy any creature. To do so, put the "destroy" ability on the stack first, then put the "tap" ability on the stack, with each one targeting the same creature. When the abilities resolve, they'll tap the creature, then destroy it.
I'm not familiar with all the nuances of dual-colored casting costs; can someone explain for me how a card like Unmake works on creatures with pro white or pro black?  Is it just considered whatever colors you use to cast it (so you could exile a pro black creature by using only plains to cast it, and vice versa), or is it always considered a BW card regardless?
thanks for posting these decklists up Microbless, its appreciated. I'm glad to see that they all look well structured, interesting and seem balanced within the meta so kudos to your deck designers for their work. I'm going to hold fire on purchasing tomorrow cos I'd prefer if the others check the game for bugs etc but I just wanted to post and tell you that so far I've been pleased with what I've seen and I didnt think I would be so you guys have pleasantly surprised me

This is my favorite deck, but it is weak against artifacts and enchantments. Only Vindicate to do that.
@JP_Russell: Cards like Unmake are defined by their mana cost, not what is used to pay them, so in this instance Unmake is both white and black. Even if you use only white to cast it, it will not effect something that is pro-black.
Also, for a lot of these decks, it's gonna be pretty rough to overcome a No Mercy Silent Arbiter lock.
Yeah those are definately some turn 4 game's over for the goblin deck.

EDIT: More so for the enchantment.
I like this deck, could be a good anti-meta deck but I gotta play with it a little to get a feel for its power level.  Right now I'm thinking it'll be ok, but not great.
I was kinda sad because Whispersilk Cloak is the ultimate non interactive card. But then, OMG, I saw Deathbringer Liege.

Magic Christmasland combo of the deck: No Mercy + Silent Arbiter + Debtors' Knell

And I know Divinity of Pride is powerful, but it's a little out of context here.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Yeah, Divinity of Pride would be more for Celestial Light. Doesn't matter it's a White/Black creature: it can be summoned with only white mana after all.
This deck doesn't have a lifegain theme but I think the Divinity is fine as a large, efficient finisher with abilities that have synergy with exalted. Plus, I think it's a great fit thematically speaking.
Silent Arbiter for 2HG with Garuk's deck as partner sounds fun since Garruk's creatures are Huge!!!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Exalted is a pretty weak mechanic for 2HG though. Your exalted triggers don't count if your partner is the one attacking, and they won't trigger for you if your partner attacks alongside your loner.
Im sad that there is no Angel of Despair, but the deck does have some nice B/W creatures. Im happy to see that Unmake is here though.
Yeah those are definately some turn 4 game's over for the goblin deck.

EDIT: More so for the enchantment.

It will be bad, yes, but not an automatic game over.
I hate it when I have to unlock the cards one by one like in the original DOTP.
And I can't believe this one being the only multi coloured deck when they finally added the manual land tapping.
    I've removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
About 1/2 through unlocking this deck so far...and it is boring as hell.  I'm hoping the other unlocks spice it up a bit, but ugh.  

It also needs more defense against fast decks. With so many of my creatures with 2 toughness or less on the defensive side and my walls costing 3 mana (I want to cut them so bad but my defense is already terrible), it is easy to get overrun with weenies and they win the race because they get their stuff on the table faster. 
I hate it when I have to unlock the cards one by one like in the original DOTP.

If no unlocking then the game would be more expensive though, because some people pay to unlock. if nobody pay extra to unlock, the game would be more expensive for all.

I was worried about being slow against fast small creature decks but cards like No Mercy and doom blade / pacifism make short work of pesky creatures. All the while you are dropping exalted after exalted and then you can eat them up with silent arbiter and angelic benediction. I don't beleive Chandra nor Goblins have any enchantment removal. Odric might but I cannot recall of the the top of my head.
I was worried about being slow against fast small creature decks but cards like No Mercy and doom blade / pacifism make short work of pesky creatures. All the while you are dropping exalted after exalted and then you can eat them up with silent arbiter and angelic benediction. I don't beleive Chandra nor Goblins have any enchantment removal. Odric might but I cannot recall of the the top of my head.

Odric can at the very least Oblivion Ring an enchantment. Not sure if he has anything else.
I really really hope Deathbringer Liege functions properly whenever you cast a duel-colored spell:

If you cast a spell that's both white and black, the last two abilities will both trigger. You may use them together to destroy any creature. To do so, put the "destroy" ability on the stack first, then put the "tap" ability on the stack, with each one targeting the same creature. When the abilities resolve, they'll tap the creature, then destroy it.

Confirmed this morning.  It works.  I cast Doom Blade.  It asked me which tapped critter I wanted to destory THEN it asked me which critter to tap and resolved in the proper oder for the kil. I was able to kill two enemies with one Doom Blade.
Odric has O-Ring and Flickerwisp.

W/R/T Deathbringer Liege, I was talking more like when you cast Vindicate or Unmake. When you cast one of those, will the game let you stack the effects so you can tap-kill a different creature than the one you're targeting with the aforementioned cards. 
Here's my final version of this deck

The same problem I had with PI 5 drops, I had here with 2 drops. There are so many! Also, I found the lategame here is a little poor, so I acted according, adding thins like Sword of Vengeance
and Debtors' Knell.

Best cards in the deck:
Duty-Bound Dead
He simply gets the job done.

Ring of Xathrid
I don't have words to describe how important this card is.

Vindicate
Do I have to say something about this card?

Most disappointing cards:
Cathedral of War and Evolving Wilds
You have to run them, because the game won't add more basic lands if you remove those 2. But you will struggle a lot with the manabase in this deck. You'll be very slow because of this sometimes.

Battlegrace Angel
Costs too much and dies too easily. If life is your problem, use Child of Night

Best Matchup
I can't decide between DP and PI.

Worst Matchup
BF has the 2 things you hate the most: Flyers and Instant-speed removal.

Next deck in my list is AW, and I'm really happy with what I already saw.

@mobiuschickenstrips
Deathbringer liege is working as it should in the game. When you play a B/W spell, the game asks you to choose a creature to destroy, and then a creature to tap. The tap ability resolves first and you can kill the formely untapped creature. I only wish more B/W cards for this deck...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Exalted is a pretty weak mechanic for 2HG though. Your exalted triggers don't count if your partner is the one attacking, and they won't trigger for you if your partner attacks alongside your loner.

wow, that sucks.
the exalted ability is so slow too, every creature takes like 2 seconds.

If you have 5 creatures you have to sit and do nothing for 10 seconds while they trigger. Bummer.

hope they fix it.
I like this deck a lot and find it very interesting, however Talrand's revenge deck minces it!

Flying enemies are not this decks forte
this deck might not be the most powerful but its really fun to play and its all that matters to me
This is actually one of my favourite deck's so far but i am a fan of black decks and i find this deck really work's have not unlocked all cards yet but am having fun with it. I played two headed giant earlier and my partner used the lillian deck and we one with 42 life not to sure how as i'm not sure if the lillian deck has that much lifegain because i don't think i had any lifegain cards on the board. So far i am finding this deck really enjoyable to use. i find it all depends on what card's you draw where to what decks you beat.
This is actually one of my favourite deck's so far but i am a fan of black decks and i find this deck really work's have not unlocked all cards yet but am having fun with it. I played two headed giant earlier and my partner used the lillian deck and we one with 42 life not to sure how as i'm not sure if the lillian deck has that much lifegain because i don't think i had any lifegain cards on the board. So far i am finding this deck really enjoyable to use. i find it all depends on what card's you draw where to what decks you beat.

This is very true. I try to keep a tool for every deck. So far the only decks I have a problem with are goblins and chandra. Everything else I have a good chance on mauling. Especially those pure white decks.
Exalted triggers should auto-resolve in batch, like firebreathing, otherwise this deck ****ing tedious, especially in mirror.
Registered to hide your signarues.
They should not. I hate simplified rulings for faster gameplay.

I agree but waiting for sometimes 7 or more procs to go off, especially when you are trying to have a fast game, can be annoying. If anything, make it an option in off-line play.
Odric has O-Ring and Flickerwisp.

W/R/T Deathbringer Liege, I was talking more like when you cast Vindicate or Unmake. When you cast one of those, will the game let you stack the effects so you can tap-kill a different creature than the one you're targeting with the aforementioned cards. 

Sorry, I did mean Unmake not Doom Blade, it asked for the tap/kill in the correct order and executed it properly.

I willingly sacrifice a bit of strategic control of the game in favor of faster gameplay by having Auto Resolution turned On. It's just more enjoyable to play. The exalted triggers should resolve one time over the attacking creature, and then add all exalted to it simultaneously. It is absolutely agonizing having to wait for all the triggers to resolve every time. It takes so loooong. It's the main reason I hate this deck.