Odric’s "Peacekeepers" Decklist & Unlocks

221 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
Exile ALL the cards! And buff ALL the creatures. Woha, if this deck gets rolling you really got have some answers and fast.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Boooo. Only 2 Squadron Hawks
Unlinked cards:

Ring of Thune (2)
Artifact – Equipment
Equipped creature has vigilance.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature if it's white.
Equip (1)

Captain's Call (3W)
Sorcery
Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Attended Knight (2W)
2/2 First strike
Creature – Human Knight
When Attended Knight enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield.

Crusader of Odric (2W)
* / *
Creature – Human Soldier
Crusader of Odric's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures you control.

Odric, Master Tactician (2WW)
3/4 First strike
Legendary Creature – Human Soldier
Whenever Odric, Master Tactician and at least three other creatures attack, you choose which creatures block this combat and how those creatures block. 
This deck is alright, but not as good as some of the others me thinks.  The Ajani deck got the better white removal (Swords to Plowshares)   but this is still decent, and looks like a lot of fun.

Kinda weird to only see 2 Squadron Hawks, they are still good, Im hoping in the "dlc" or extra 10 cards we get there are the other 2 Hawks. It works so well with the deck.

Kinda weird to only see 2 Squadron Hawks, they are still good, Im hoping in the "dlc" or extra 10 cards we get there are the other 2 Hawks. It works so well with the deck.

I feel like that's what will happen. I could see a lot of the other decks getting a few more utility or major roleplayers in their decks like this as well. At least, that's the kind of message I got from the current unlocks, and from that one DailyMTG article that talked about improving a deck and its consistency as you "unlock" it.
Black got Griselbrand, I was kinda hopinh this could get Avacyn, Angel of Hope

I will revise my previous statement to: this deck is lacking instant removal.   So much exiling. O.o.
Hello, March to War 2.0!

Also: the last unlock is Archangel? Really?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I hardly ever post here anymore, but I have to say:

I think it is complete BS that there are only 2 Squadron Hawks in this deck.
It reeks of forcing players to pay for DLC to get a workable product.
Wizards had NO BUSINESS putting only 2 of a card that requires 4 of to utilize its abilities. 
If they're going to put it in the base game, it HAS to have 4 of or it shouldn't be in there since it's incomplete.
If the other 2 are included in DLC, they have just crapped all over their customers, and it shows even the casual fan how little they are respected by Wizards.

Wizards had NO BUSINESS putting only 2 of a card that requires 4 of to utilize its abilities. 
If they're going to put it in the base game, it HAS to have 4 of or it shouldn't be in there since it's incomplete.
If the other 2 are included in DLC, they have just crapped all over their customers, and it shows even the casual fan how little they are respected by Wizards.

You know you don't have to run the hawks, right? It is not like the deck is so full of crap you can't replace them.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I'll agree that only two Squadron Hawks are annoying, but I'm not going to take it as evidence of malice on the part of WotC. 9_9

I kind of wish this deck was RW instead of simply mono-white. It's weird that there's only a single deck in the entire launch lineup that uses two colors; two or more would make it seem like less of an oddball. And there are plenty of red cards in, say, AVR that fit the deck's themes very well in mechanics and flavor. I mean, Odric is Innistradi after all. 
Given the overall fantastic quality of the DOTP '13 decks, i think it's a tough sell to say WOTC doesn't respect it's fans.
Absolutely hate playing against this deck. Reminds me of 2012's aggro domination. It's the only deck I absolutely don't like one little bit.
Given the overall fantastic quality of the DOTP '13 decks, i think it's a tough sell to say WOTC doesn't respect it's fans.

Agreed, I mean if "ONLY TWO SQUADRON HAWKS!? HIGHWAYRAPERY!!!" is the worst complaint you can come up with.....
It's amazing the narratives people come up with to get super pissed about something so trivial.
Especially since the deck has 2 more hawks in the remaining 10 DLC unlocks.
You get two different unlocks now and have to wait for the DLC to get the other two hawks.
The alternative is, they give you all four hawks and you have to wait for the different cards.

It pretty much adds up to the same thing.
You get two different unlocks now and have to wait for the DLC to get the other two hawks.

Source, or it didn't happen.

Odric's Revenge deck has 4x Squadron Hawk.

EDIT: I'm not currently set up to screenshot at the moment, but I'm playing against Odric in the Revenge campaign and he just mulligan'd down to 4 cards. He played a Squadron Hawk and pulled 3 more out of his deck. 

EDIT: I'm not currently set up to screenshot at the moment, but I'm playing against Odric in the Revenge campaign and he just mulligan'd down to 4 cards. He played a Squadron Hawk and pulled 3 more out of his deck. 

Jace's revenge deck from 2012 had 4x Lord of the Unreal. Just because it's in a revenge deck doesn't mean it will be in the normal decks.

Jace's revenge deck from 2012 had 4x Lord of the Unreal. Just because it's in a revenge deck doesn't mean it will be in the normal decks.

And Tezzeret's has 4x Terramorphic Expanse, while only 3 are available.
This deck is good.Probably top 3 atm.
Has anyone figured out a good build yet?
I have trouble to cut down to 60 cards.

This is just silly. Forced to buy DLC? The, "Product", "works" with 2 just fine. What kind of DotP player isn't going to buy all the expansions anyway? here are actual complaints of substance about this game but this isn't one of them. 

- Spirit of the Hearth: Why? This deck already mauls Jace. Maybe 1 time out of 100 it saves you against Chandra's deck, but whatever.

agreed. but after new decks arrive, this might get important.
Mass Calcify: 25% of your matches (the 5% comes from Nefarox) this is going to be a dead card. Maybe sometimes it wins you a game, but you know what's better in this deck? Guardians' Pledge. That card is (again, most of the time) a one-sided sweeper or a game-ending overrun.

The End.

this is obviously a multiplayer card - don't watch everything from the 1vs1 perspective...
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine

NOTABLE OMISSIONS:
- Elite Vanguard,.
- Dawn Elemental: In my brain, he's competing with Archon for the big flier/plan B slot. He has the same weaknesses as Archon as far as exiling and enchantments goes, but if he dies another way, he just dies. An Archon dying is (usually) a 2 for 1. I'll pay 1 extra mana for +1 P/T plus his ability.
-
The End.

Actually i find Elite Vanguard better than Raise the Alarm. For same cost (2 for 1) you get more punch, early access while trading possibility to cast it during opponents turn (which has very small usage, like really). I keep some of both actually. I have one Master Decoy in the deck, but almost of on the verge of cutting it out. I play it last, and i dont have mana early for 1 power for 2 CMC. Ability can be useful later, but so far i found it take away from speed than add to it.

Dawn Elemental might not add much to agro strat, but it certainly has it's uses being good blocker if any board sweepers, I can see it being used.

Other than it's really nice list.
How do you guys feel about Geist-Honored Monk? Bringing 2 spirits is nice, but I think she's to expensive to replace a Crusader of Odric and won't help enough my other guys to replace a Captain of the Watch. Any advices?

I think it's worth it for a couple of flying tokens and vigilance.
How do you guys feel about Geist-Honored Monk? Bringing 2 spirits is nice, but I think she's to expensive to replace a Crusader of Odric and won't help enough my other guys to replace a Captain of the Watch. Any advices?

I think it is a must play since the tokens have flying and he is usually always 5/5 or bigger when I drop him.
@Arch1n: I'm taking into account the anthem effects here. One 2/1 becomes a 3/2. Two 1/1s become 2/2s (4>3). You can also make a case for Guardian's Pledge here (6>4). 

Sometimes an extra point of damage or two is all it takes. I'm sure all of us have lost a game or two with an aggro deck where we've had our opponent at 1 life.
@Arch1n: I'm taking into account the anthem effects here. One 2/1 becomes a 3/2. Two 1/1s become 2/2s (4>3). You can also make a case for Guardian's Pledge here (6>4). 

Sometimes an extra point of damage or two is all it takes. I'm sure all of us have lost a game or two with an aggro deck where we've had our opponent at 1 life.

Agreed, however in some cases, u can get 2 extra damage start with elite vanguard on turn 1, while you can play non-creature spell in turn 2, or even another creature spell. Which you cant do with two 1/1 on second turn, and they can attack only in the third turn. Although i see, overall in the long run, raise the alarm is consistently better for this deck, but for sake of experimenting, both variants can yield good results.

Imo super agressive early start can be amazingly effective in some matchups, especially against slower decks. Although this is the only difference im experimenting on, overall, this build you posted is really good.

I think it is a must play since the tokens have flying and he is usually always 5/5 or bigger when I drop him.

But isn't the crusader doing the same thing for 2 less mana? I mean, in the early game, I'll prefer drawing a crusader. In the lategame, doesn't matter who I draw, because if I have tons of creatures, both are good, but if I have an empty board, both won't help. I'll really appreciate more insights about this card, because this is my last doubt to close my final 60.

This is how I like to run it. Just some simple beats. Guardians' Pledge over Windborne Charge if you want. I tend to prefer evasion, but I won't argue the power of +2/+2 with all the tokens. Fourth Captain's Call over the Dawn Elemental as well if you prefer. The Dawn Elemental is in a test slot right now, but as usual, I like the evasion and the slightly unique damage prevention could be randomly useful.

I could also see Intrepid Hero somewhere, but I decided not to run it. I kind of compare his slot to that of Master Decoy. Intrepid Hero isn't always going to be useful, some match ups he might not have much to kill, while Master Decoy comes down earlier and tapping a creature can almost provide me the same outcome as killing it. I'll probably overwhelm them before it matters anyways. If not, then I've already lost and I'll be looking to start Game 2.
Here's my 2 cents about March to War Peacekeepers:

Best cards in the deck:

Oblivion Ring
A staple, as always.

Flickerwisp
At first, I was thinking why I should run this card. But it's so versatile you'll never be sad when you draw it.

Guardian's Pledge
R&D must hate green, because the white Overrun is cheaper and is an instant.

Most disappointing cards:

Squadron Hawks
They will go to the upper category once we have four of them. Until that happens, no.

Pennon Blade
When you have mana to use it, it will be a) A win-more card or b) A useless card.

Best Matchups:
Poor Jace... Yeva is kinda easy too.

Worst Matchups:
This the deck is very consistent, so is hard to answer this question. But OD has the tools to handle Odric. The time will tell if I'm right in this statement.

I'm nearly done with Liliana. Probably another list to post today

25 x Plains
2 x Doomed Traveler
3 x Elite Vanguard
2 x Accorder Paladin
2 x Journey to Nowhere
3 x Master Decoy
3 x Pacifism
2 x Raise the Alarm
2 x Attended Knight
2 x Fiend Hunter
2 x Glorious Anthem
1 x Intrepid Hero
2 x Oblivion Ring
4 x Captain's Call
1 x Odric, Master Tactician
2 x Geist-Honored Monk
2 x Captain of the Watch

This is a maximum removal build revolving around tokens and anthem effects (Honor of the Pure is the last card I wish to unlock, I'm about 4 games away from it, probably cutting one of the 8x removal spells at the 2cc slot for it). I maxed out on 1cc creatures to maximize the number of games you have plays on every turn starting turn 1, but of course with only 5 aggressive 1 drops, sometimes you'll have to make do without. Accorder Paladin is a lot better if you can get rid of blockers, and in any case nobody is forcing you to cast him on turn 2 or attack on turn 3 with it. The deck is pretty flexible, you can go aggro against most deck and play the control deck against goblins, where you can pick off their good guys with Journey/O-Rings/Pacifism, trade creatures with your tokens so you're up half a card or more each time, and so forth.

Conspicuous absences:

Archon of Justice. Way too costly for conditional removal. I don't want more than 4x cards at the 5cc+ slot for curve reasons (particularly with Master Decoy in the deck), and with Monk and Captain as available choices, Archon just loses by default.

Odric's Crusader. Please. It's a win-more card. If you're in a bad board position, it's a 1/1 or a 2/2 for 3cc. Horrible. If you can get it to be good, you're already winning. Geist-Honored Monk does not suffer from that problem, because even if your board is empty it's a 3/3 with vigilance and two 1/1 flyers for 5cc, which is good by itself. Crusader needs other cards to be good.

Squadron Hawk. Actually still pretty good with only two in the deck. Would be great if I was retooling the deck towards flyers rather than tokens + removal. Not in this build, though.

The main thing about DotP is always curve, curve, curve. The fully unlocked and trimed decks are still so un-tuned compared to actual Standard decks that any time you can maximize your tempo and mana usage you're probably winning. So your best bet is to work at tuning so that you get to do that as close to 100% of the time as possible. If you're playing 5 drops or more, they better be winning you the game. And playing only two or three 1 drops is criminal, I'm already annoyed by the fact that at best I'm playing five of them (the sixth is just... no). Cutting any is almost definitely a mistake, and cutting Elite Vanguard rather than Doomed Traveler is just compounding the mistake.
I agree a lot with that last part about utilizing the mana curve and tempo efficiency. If you want this deck to run as the beatdown efficiently, people really need to run the one drops because it's critical as an aggro deck to start applying pressure as soon as possible and you don't get much better than a 2 power creature for one. It sucks we only have 5 of them so we can't expect them always on turn 1, but they can easily fill in open mana slots later when you're casting a three drop on turn 4 or something and you have an extra mana leftover.

I know people tend to dismiss it, exclaiming it's a "token" build so Raise the Alarm or Captain's Call are better than Elite Vanguard with anthems, but I feel that is missing the point. Vanguard shouldn't necessarily be fighting those cards for slots, as they are really good, but imagine how much better you are when you'll be able to get plays like Elite Vanguard -> Raise the Alarm -> Glorious Anthem/Honor of the Pure. Those are some good beats.

No Flickerwisp in the previous poster's build by the way? I definately think that card needs a slot. So good at resetting things on your board or just general use. Even bare bones, a 3/1 flier isn't bad in white weenie.
I'm a fan of consistency (as much as DotP will let me, anyway) and thus I don't like playing 1-ofs if I can help it. The only reason I'd ever play them is if they are "I win" cards. Intrepid Hero is recurring removal against problem creatures and is pretty much the only way you can hope to win sometimes against Exalted (basically making all their creatures except the Pro White one unable to attack without dying after the Exalted triggers resolve), so it's in. I basically see it as Journey/Pacifism/O-Ring/Master Decoy copy number 11 (when 10 removal spells aren't enough!). Odric is the same, with enough creatures in play it means you can alpha with an Accorder Paladin and tokens to just win the game, and it also happens to have First Strike on a 3/4 body for 4 if you're playing against Goblins. I see it as Captain of the Watch number 3.

There aren't enough good targets for Flickerwisp in this deck, and you only have the one copy too. I looked at it a lot but everything I wanted to reset had 'when X dies' triggers instead of 'when this leaves/enters the battlefield', so it's a nombo in this deck. I'd play the 4 drop 'prevent all damage' Elemental over it, quite frankly.

I can see someone tooling this deck towards flyers though, in which case it would be Flyer Number X, not just a Flickerwisp, and it would certainly have a spot there.
[deck]25 Plains

Isnt Captains Call a bit on the costly side? I can see it being good with all the Anthems but more often then not I got my board wiped by Chandra and Lili while the 3 dudes just did about nothing (sorcery).

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Isnt Captains Call a bit on the costly side? I can see it being good with all the Anthems but more often then not I got my board wiped by Chandra and Lili while the 3 dudes just did about nothing (sorcery).

If you get to play out your first three turns you probably don't want to play it on turn 4 against those decks. Let's say you go something like Doomed Traveller/Elite Vanguard, Paladin/Raise the Alarm, Glorious Anthem/Attended Knight, you're probably ok with just not committing anything more to the board and holding unto that card so you can get a second wave going (particularly if your turn 3 play was Anthem) after they wipe the board.

Against these decks your favorite starting setup is Traveller, Raise, Anthem, as they basically have to wipe board right there and only get a 1 for 1 (trade their mass removal spell for your Raise the Alarm, but you keep a flying spirit in play so Traveller doesn't count as a lost card). A 3 for 1 sucks but don't make it a 4 for 1 by playing Captain's Call on top of it.
There aren't enough good targets for Flickerwisp in this deck, and you only have the one copy too. I looked at it a lot but everything I wanted to reset had 'when X dies' triggers instead of 'when this leaves/enters the battlefield', so it's a nombo in this deck. I'd play the 4 drop 'prevent all damage' Elemental over it, quite frankly.

I can see someone tooling this deck towards flyers though, in which case it would be Flyer Number X, not just a Flickerwisp, and it would certainly have a spot there.

I don't look at the combo potential, just that a 3/1 flier for 3 is really good. The flicker ability is just a bonus when it occasionally matters and sometimes will be a blowout for your opponent. I think it's literally one of the best cards in the deck.

It's not my favorite card, but there isn't a whole lot more to run at those costs. It gets the job done though and lets you bounce back from board clears a little faster.
I don't look at the combo potential, just that a 3/1 flier for 3 is really good. The flicker ability is just a bonus when it occasionally matters and sometimes will be a blowout for your opponent. I think it's literally one of the best cards in the deck.

I don't think it is. Can't get past any blockers, trades for half a summon drakes card even with an Anthem in play. I can't think of any card I'd want to cut for it, especially since what it would mean would be to drop a 3x/2x to a 2x/1x card so that I might hope to sometimes draw a 3/1 flyer that doesn't do much.

The WWWW 3/3 flyer who can't get damaged, OTOH, is actually something I might cut a card for. It might be better than Odric, actually. I might see myself cutting Odric for it (keeping my curve the same).
Sign In to post comments