Krenko’s "Goblin Gangland" Decklist & Unlocks

201 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
um yay!
Holy ****! That looks strong. You got Squee, Goblin Grenade, Krenko and Goblin Guide.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Multiple Piledrivers.
Looks SO good, honestly so far I havent been disappointed with any of the decks Ive scanned through. A great job was done this time in 2013, thanks.
OMG SQUEE

I called that shiz
I'm loving this deck. Laughing
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
Damn you WOTC I couldn't resist. Im looking at all the decks and unlocks. I wanted to go into the game blind!

This deck looks very, very good. Too good?
Krenko's Command (1R)
Sorcery
Put two 1/1 red Goblin tokens onto the battlefield. 

Ring of Valkas (2)
Artifact
Equipped creature has haste.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature if it's red.
Equip: 1

Rummaging Goblin (2R)
Creature - Goblin Rogue
1/1 
(T) Discard a card: Draw a card.

Krenko, Mob Boss (2RR)
Legendary Creature - Goblin Warrior
3/3
(T): Put X 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the number of Goblins you control.

Smelt (R)
Instant
Destroy target artifact.
Mindmoil makes me very happy
Every deck looks simply amazing. This deck is going to be boss.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Surprisingly, I don't feel as impressed with this one as I am with all of the other decks. Still looks good though.
Sad Panda... no Lackey but the instigater is awesome. I'm SO pumped to play tomorrow
I'm just happy that nobody at Wizard's lost their minds and put 4x Goblin Guide in here. 1 is safe.
I'm just happy that nobody at Wizard's lost their minds and put 4x Goblin Guide in here. 1 is safe.

I was just thinking that because they are so good. Although, I kind of want two of them in this list. Innocent
This deck looks fast and I like the way in which it isn't just an aggressive creature deck.  On the surface it appears to play quite simple, get as much damage in as quickly as possible and that's how Goblin's tend to work but I can see games where careful planning of the activated and triggered abilities, such as sacrificing creatures, will allow more advanced players who understand such principles as the 'clock' to pull through in tighter games.
Awww.... no Bloodmark Mentor either (1R 1/1 Creature Goblin, Red creatures you control have first strike) he would give the goblins that early push to take care of defensive decks that have first strikers
Chancellor of the Forge? Yeah, this deck has some reach.

Also, Goblin Goon! I was right!

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I'm sorry, but I'd say 95% of the time, if the goblins player doesn't have the game in hand by the time they're able to drop a Chancellor of the Forge, then I imagine a game state that the aforementioned Chancellor alone won't be able to win for them.
I'm sorry, but I'd say 95% of the time, if the goblins player doesn't have the game in hand by the time they're able to drop a Chancellor of the Forge, then I imagine a game state that the aforementioned Chancellor alone won't be able to win for them.

I know. I'm not even sure about running this guy. I was just using him to ilustrate my point: the deck won't lose every game that pasts turn 5.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I don't think this deck will be turn 5 fast but it should be able to get 10 damage through pretty quickly - this deck seems fun but not OP either - I'm glad they went down this route rather than the brutal OP goblin decks
I was hoping that there was gonna be a playset of Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder and Goblin Grenade . Bombarding Goblins!
Yesterday I had a Turn 4 victory with this deck. Smile
I don't think this deck will be turn 5 fast but it should be able to get 10 damage through pretty quickly - this deck seems fun but not OP either - I'm glad they went down this route rather than the brutal OP goblin decks

I've had multiple turn 4/5 wins with this deck, It has some really explosive draws.
I'm a huge fan of Goblins, they're by far my favorite creature and deck type in all of MTG. But honestly, this deck is outclassed by all the other ones in this game. It's an amazing Gobby deck, but all the other decks just kick it's ass. Almost all decks have a way of killing Krenko the second he's put down, and most have a board wipe. If they don't, they have a "All creatures take 1 damage" card which for Goblins is a board wipe. It's terrible. And it's definitely the worst two headed giant deck. Of course, all decks are terrible in 2HG compared to that stupid healing one that everybody uses.  

That being said I got the max cap of goblin tokens in a 4 way planechase (100 goblin tokens) and proceeded to kill everyone using the plane that makes a clone of your attacking creatures to hit all opponents. Think about that, over 300 creatures attacking at once. Suprised the game didn't freeze.

I've used nothing but this deck since I got it. It's Goblins so I'll continue to use it no matter what, but can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? 
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
I don't think you can get much tighter than that for a 1v1 list. Pretty much what I am going to end up with.
Once the deck is fully unlocked I think it has alot more potential - once you cut through the pikers, the lowland oaths and the 6+ mana costs there's a good deck to be found - Mobius my decklist near enough matches yours with only minor differences (I need to unlock 3 more cards) - I think I'm still using gob goon, raging gobbo, and fireslinger tho plus I'm using 3 rummagers instead of the 2 plus the blisterstick shaman - I hate drawing into too many mountains

I hope the first expansion gives some more quality 1 and 2 drops - another copy of krenko's command and goblin grenade would be nice - mogg flunkies? another goblin guide? here's hoping

I would love any of the following 1-drops.

Another Goblin Guide
Mogg Fanatic
Frenzied Goblin
Goblin Lackey - maybe 
I love looting/drawing cards as much as the next guy, but I thought it best to have the shaman in there for Soul Wardens, non-beast mode Serra Ascendants and Jace's Phantasms, 2/1 first-strikers (and a fair amount of the rest of that wacky exalted deck), and whatever x/1 dudes happen to be out there. Juuuuuuust in case.

He's no Flametongue Kavu or Skinrender, but he really is just trying to do his best.  
This isn't a terrible 2HG deck, I've been having some success with a partner playing Pack Instinct. My goblin threats are enough of a distraction and removal eater to let them build up to the ridiculousness that deck can pull out after a few turns. The only deck that has clobbered it in 2HG so far has been Lilliana's deck. Mind you that's not to say I have a solid sample of all the decks, that's just 2 days of observation, but not so bad I would give up on it for 2HG.
This isn't a terrible 2HG deck, I've been having some success with a partner playing Pack Instinct. My goblin threats are enough of a distraction and removal eater to let them build up to the ridiculousness that deck can pull out after a few turns. The only deck that has clobbered it in 2HG so far has been Lilliana's deck. Mind you that's not to say I have a solid sample of all the decks, that's just 2 days of observation, but not so bad I would give up on it for 2HG.

It's only good as a shield? That kinda sucks since all you'll get to do is watch your teammate. What kind of deck are you running in it?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
@mobius

Yeah I like the shaman too and it was a tough decision to remove him - I also liked the sparkmages from cloudburst for similar reasons - that extra 1 damage can also be used after combat to finish crits off too

I also like the devouring viashino too - some goblins get stalled after a while and he helps to keep the pressure on - I was using these for a while when unlocking but they work better with the rings and since I removed them I also took out the elders too - I also like the ring but there are lots of other ways to give gobbos haste in the deck and like you said there are loads of 2 drops that you will want to play instead

I can't see anyway to make the lowland oath work and it's a shame he's using up so many slots - I try not to think about all the cards they could have put in his place. Piker is usuable at least though I wish they'd stop reprinting him, he's been in 3/4 decks now and he was never great in 2009 either - goblin shortcutter is better - I'd like a bunch of these instead of piker for the next game

edit: forgot how to link cards is it {} {C} 
Once this deck is fully unlocked it becomes very hard to decide what to keep and what to remove - I've dropped raging goblin but I'm seriously considering dropping other cards to bring him back - turn 1 feels so dead without him - if you follow up with bushwhacker thats five damage in 2 turns, follow up with chieftain thats 11 damage in 3 turns

When it gets beyond the early turns you can just use him as sac fodder

I'm on the fence between reckless one and the viashino elder too - reckless one gets haste and benefits from gobbo matters cards but the elder gets out a turn earlier and you can get a big creature even if you only have one/two gobbos out
Once this deck is fully unlocked it becomes very hard to decide what to keep and what to remove - I've dropped raging goblin but I'm seriously considering dropping other cards to bring him back - turn 1 feels so dead without him - if you follow up with bushwhacker thats five damage in 2 turns, follow up with chieftain thats 11 damage in 3 turns

When it gets beyond the early turns you can just use him as sac fodder

I'm on the fence between reckless one and the viashino elder too - reckless one gets haste and benefits from gobbo matters cards but the elder gets out a turn earlier and you can get a big creature even if you only have one/two gobbos out

I'm strongly leaning towards removing reckless and adding Thunder Trash Elder if the choice is between the two. The amount of board wiping I've come across is mind-blowing and at least if your side gets cleard and only one guy is left, you could still have a 10/10+ instead of a 1/1

I really wish there was some way to protect your stuff better in this. The ring's suck for Gobbies, and because there isn't I've only gotten to use Krenko's ability twice.  
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Why did they make Krenko's Command when it's exactly the same as Dragon Fodder? Dragon Fodder has way better flavor. I hate it when they do this. Like Runeclaw Bear and Grizzly Bears. RIP Grizzle Bears Cry
Reckless one is much better when Thunder thrash elder, it has more synergy, is a brutal creature with only a few tokens out and can suprise an enemy or force them to block with a stronger creature that they were saving for defense

So far ive got 4 decks unlocked, im still trying to get a perfect balance jace's but this deck is by far the most powerful.  goblin chieftan followed by Krenko mob boss   tapped out to make at least two 2/2 goblins. Add a siege gang commander on the next turn and its game over.

It's only good as a shield? That kinda sucks since all you'll get to do is watch your teammate. What kind of deck are you running in it?

I wouldn't call it a shield, just saying that against decks with heavy targeted removal *cough* Obedient Dead, Peacekeepers *cough* they can't just let my krenko and reckless one sit around so targeted removal gets used on them as opposed to me playing a slower or less threatening deck and the green teammate getting their creatures picked off. I end up playing just as actively, albeit with my board being cleared a fair bit.

As to what I'm running in it, my list is very similar to what mobiuschickenstrips posted earlier except I have a few of the cards he omitted(and rightfully so) for 1v1 that work a lot better for multiplayer.

I've had multiple turn 4/5 wins with this deck, It has some really explosive draws.

I was actually able to pull out a turn 3 win with this deck.  "Explosive" doesn't seem to do the deck enough justice, especially considering how slow to develop some of the other Magic 2013 decks are; it's almost like the old "goldfish" test.

Turn 1: Chancellor of the Forge Freebie + Goblin Guide.  Swing for 3.
Turn 2: Goblin Piledriver.  Swing for 3 (6 total).
Turn 3: Goblin Chieftain.  Swing for 15 (21 total).

The 15 is 2 for Freebie, 3 for Guide, 2 for Chieftain, 8 for Piledriver.

That being said, I have lost a couple of games when the opponent has 1-3 life left.  I think Wizards deliberately left out a lot of direct burn from this deck to prevent being able to universally win by getting your opponent to 5 or less and simply burning them out once you've gotten to a creature stalemate.  It was a good design choice that prevents this deck from being too overpowered.  Overall, though, this is a tough deck to beat and it catches many of the other decks with their proverbial pants down.
Reckless one is much better when Thunder thrash elder, it has more synergy, is a brutal creature with only a few tokens out and can suprise an enemy or force them to block with a stronger creature that they were saving for defense

against board sweeping it is useless... so +1 for the elder/vor dragon

elder should have flash! ;)

Wait, what?!?!? So elder is good post-board wipe!?!!?!!??
Only board wipe that does damage, like in Chandra's deck.   

All other types, not so much.  Cuz I heard vanilla 1/1s were good for 3 CMC.  

I found the elder too slow for this deck, and eats up too much of your resources to be effective.

Yep.