Chandra’s "Born of Flame" Decklist & Unlocks

482 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
I like this deck a lot, it's just loaded with damage.

3x Flames of the Blood Hand will be very useful against the lifegain deck!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Looks like it's all about loading up on Phoenix birds, Obsidian Fireheart and Inferno Titan and burning away the rest of the board!

By the way, this deck is eerily close to a multiplayer deck I was putting together in real life.
Dragon Hatchling (1R)
Creature – Dragon
0/1 Flying
(R): Dragon Hatchling gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

Chandra's Fury (4R)
Insant
Chandra's Fury deals 4 damage to target player and 1 damage to each creature that player controls.

Firewing Phoenix (3R)
Creature – Phoenix
4/1 Flying
(1RRR): Return Firewind Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.

Flames of the Firebrand (2R)
Sorcery
Flames of the Firebrand deals 3 damage divided as you choose among one, two, or three target creatures and/or players. 
Great stuff. Perhaps not as exciting and packed full of new cards (to DOTP) as most of the other decks, but just like the burn deck in 2012 it appears to be very consistent and focused on its strategy. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

I used to hate red and the idea of burn decks in general, but Chandra's became my favourite in 2012 for 1v1 because of the amount of choice and 'hands on' interaction. This looks to continue the trend.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I like it a lot too. Glad we finally get a Chandra's Spitfire. Searing Blaze will be extremely helpful in this deck.

Going to miss my Kiln Fiend's though!

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

If you like, you can run this deck as a straigth burn deck with just a few creatures.
I like it a lot too. Glad we finally get a Chandra's Spitfire.

I am very glad about this too. Another multiplayer allstar, and with Flamebreak and Earthquake to back it up.
I'm a little disappointed with this deck. I was expecting Stuffy Doll and some form of land gathering like Mycosynth Wellspring or Journeyer's Kite.

But it's still good. Specially Chandra's Spitfire, I see it causing 13 damage as early as turn 4.
I'm a little disappointed with this deck. I was expecting Stuffy Doll

I was hoping for Stuff D somewhere in the game, too, but there's always the expansion(s).  I feel like they can't not put him in the game later.  He was reprinted.  He's a lot of fun to play with.  Everybody loves him.  You can't not put him in the game.  :P
Triple Searing Blaze is a beating.
Disaster Radius or Flame Wave or both or neither?

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

neither for my build...

I also see running this deck with very few creatures so I don't know if you will always have one in hand to make Disaster Radiuswork. 

But it's still good. Specially Chandra's Spitfire, I see it causing 13 damage as early as turn 4.

Sorry for that, I miscalculated. I see Chandra's Spitfire causing 19 damage as early as turn 4, plus 6 from spells.

Wow, turn 4 kill! But it will happen only rarely. Cry

I like it a lot too. Glad we finally get a Chandra's Spitfire. Searing Blaze will be extremely helpful in this deck.

Going to miss my Kiln Fiend's though!

My favorite little dogs-who-get-big. I will miss you.Cry

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I remember someone saying this deck can't win against Ajani's. Now I see that guy was crazy...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I hope Chandra players remember to keep Flames of the Blood Hand mana up when playing Yeva, because turn 4 Natural Order for Pelakka Wurm is going to be back breaking.
This deck looks very solid, I can see this being an online favourite
This deck is ****! Have unlocked Jace and everything before with Chandra with one win. Telrand (sp?) was the only trouble I had as it took me two games to best him. Flying and Burn... what a country!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I may be missing something about [C]Disaster Radius[/C] but to me it looks atrocious...I'm a fan of [C]Flame Wave[/C] though so I'm including that at the moment until I get a better unlock.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Although it's obviously too early to tell with much accuracy, this deck seems pretty much a beast so far. Didn't lose to any deck playing through the normal campaign, even Nicol Bolas, and have played three multiplayer games and won them. The sheer amount of burn provides a lot of versatility, and I LOVE Red Sun's Zenith.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
With Fire Servant on the board, few creatures can resist Flame Wave. With two on the board, ...
Guys what are your thoughs on obsidian fireheart? i never find a spot for his ability coz i always have an instant in hand so just wondering if this creature is as good as i've heard.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Guys what are your thoughs on obsidian fireheart? i never find a spot for his ability coz i always have an instant in hand so just wondering if this creature is as good as i've heard.

for the mana cost, it's a good creature with a decent ability that can be played at EOT when you don't have to play and instant.  to me, i think it's an auto include
Agree with Balisalisa, the Fireheart is an auto include. I know spots in this deck are extremely competitive, but he's worth it.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Well i guess i need to test it more coz i think i have way too many spells, i only have this creatures:

-Chandra's phoenix x2
-Inferno Titan
-Hostility
-chandra's spitfire
-fire servant x2

And i think i can one obsidian fireheart instead of rain of embers

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Well i guess i need to test it more coz i think i have way too many spells, i only have this creatures:

-Chandra's phoenix x2
-Inferno Titan
-Hostility
-chandra's spitfire
-fire servant x2

And i think i can one obsidian fireheart instead of rain of embers

you definitely need more...i plan to run the 2 furnace whelps, obsidian fireheart and 2 fiery hellhounds in addition to the above

Best red deck so far in any DOTP game yet.Lol,this deck is indeed very strong.

It's a 4/4 for 4cmc which isn't bad. And the ability can be used as an instant, no tap when you don't have a need to use a sorcery/instant you have in hand.

The ability can also fuel Chandra's Spitfire. Having it on two opponents lands means gauranteed 2 dmg plus a 7/3 flier every turn.
That 4/4 creature is so good,especially for red decks like this.
Awesome. XD
I'm really digging this deck. I knew I liked it when the core was spoiled, but I lost some interest when other decks came around with their cool decks and unlocks. This is the first deck I'm playing though and I'm having a blast. I love all the burn options.
is anyone planning to use beacon of destruction?  i think they are beat out by the other red sun's zenith.  i just don't have any room for it in my build...
is anyone planning to use beacon of destruction?  i think they are beat out by the other red sun's zenith.  i just don't have any room for it in my build...

I thought about it, but I think there are a lot of cards that seem better than it.

EDIT: Although, maybe in a really burn heavy deck it could be decent? Instant speed 5 damage is pretty good. 
I don't have the game yet (downloading from Steam as we're speaking), but from the looks of it, IF I were to run either Beacon or Zenith (I'll have to see), Beacon gets my preference in this deck. 9/10 times Zenith is better since for only 1 mana extra for 5 damage and sorcery speed you get to pick the damage and exile the creature (which can be useful at times of course), but for a mana-hungry deck like this, that 1 mana extra for the same damage can hurt, and it can leave you tapped out for your opponent's turn. At the other hand, in a mana-hungry deck, instant speed is all the more important.
So Im trying out the demo and the game doesn't allow me to use flame stash on my own magma phoenix, am I missing something or is this how its supposed to be? I saw no restrictions in the flame stashes description to make me believe it won't be useable on my own cards but the game didn't allow it. Please tell me this isn't some restriction they've applied all around the game because that'll be really disappointing.
So Im trying out the demo and the game doesn't allow me to use flame stash on my own magma phoenix, am I missing something or is this how its supposed to be? I saw no restrictions in the flame stashes description to make me believe it won't be useable on my own cards but the game didn't allow it. Please tell me this isn't some restriction they've applied all around the game because that'll be really disappointing.

take off simplified targeting in options. 

Demo probably enforces the "simplified targeting" in the options. They don't let you target the "wrong" creature when that option is enabled.
Yea thanks, was a lil worried there. Aight, I think ill be picking this up, despite my disappointment at there being only one multi-color deck word on the streets is all the mono decks have a lot of gameplay variety(which is really what matters at the end of the day) and Im sure they will hook us up with some dope decks with dlc down the line.
Are people building this for speed and burn to the face or using burn on critters and going for card advantage with the birds and sweepers? 
I've been going down the card advantage/birds route as I've unlocked the cards. It's a pretty nice set up and gives a sort of inevitability for the deck. Haven't tried a faster version yet, but I have a few ideas.