Ajani’s "Celestial Light" Deck - Decklist & Unlocks

267 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
Thanks I guess but too little, too late... we'll let the community handle the rest including the unlocks.  This type of communication would have been greatly appreciated yesterday or this morning though.  Better luck next year.
Yeah, thanks but no thanks. The community will take over now and fill in the gaps WotC left communication-wise. We needed more than this, earlier than this.
This deck is gonna be sick in 2HG, lol.

Serra Ascendant almost feels like cheating.
Nice, unlocks seems to be up.
Edit: also, Swords to Plowshares! Surprised

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Hey look....Unlocks..,

Gorram ninjas
Oh look...2 Swords of Plowshares and 2 Day of Judgments lol

I love this game and havent played it yet xD

Finally were getting the cards I crave =]
Hey look....Unlocks..,

Gorram ninjas

I still don't know why this information could not have been posted earlier today instead of conflicting with what the community is posting.  Due to an utter lack of proper communication the forum is now flooded with decklists instead of having official ones in which to discuss.
Hey look....Unlocks..,

Gorram ninjas

I still don't know why this information could not have been posted earlier today instead of conflicting with what the community is posting.  Due to an utter lack of proper communication the forum is now flooded with decklists instead of having official ones in which to discuss.

Jesus man, give it a rest.  There is no need to be so hyper-obsessed over this.  The game is out today or tomorrow, just play it and forget about how antsy you were getting waiting for it.
I was thinking the Mill deck would be extremely powerful against this, but now I see the multiple copies of Elixir of Immortality. Awesome, I can see those being included in most decklists simply because of Jace's deck.

I am blatantly speaking too soon here but it looks like they've made 2013's decks with a lot more thought of the environment they'll be played in. Exciting times await.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Unlinked cards:

Ajani's Sunstriker (WW)
Creature – Cat Cleric
2/2 Lifelink

Rhox Faithmender (3W)
Creature – Rhino Monk
1/5 Lifelink
If you would gain life, you gain twice that much life instead. 
Its like the bigger, a lot meaner brother of the 09 version. 2x Day of Jugdment, Swords to P. and Purity. Me liky!

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Its good, the deck has answers to mill, but the answers themselves can be milled into the graveyard. Both sides of the matchup can win.
This deck is my favorite so far. Love lifegain decks!
Seems solid, but I like a lot of the other decks for their flexibility. This one seems pretty set in working off gaining life and trying to out attrition the opponent with it. Just seems kind of boring to me, but I do like that Day of Judgment opens the possibility to run this as more of a control deck rather than a simple beatdown+lifegain deck.
Well of Lost Dreams is pretty exciting. 

I don't know how many stalemated games I won with Seer's Sundial, the above is much much better. 
4x Ajani's Pridemate, 3x Soul warden, 3xSerra Ascendant makes this deck for me.   Also this deck has Swords to Plowshares which will do wonders for it.    The curve is certainly right,  I think I would cut everything over 6, this deck has enough options.
I was wondering how often I'll use one of the most OP removal spells in the history of magic (Swords to Plowshares) in one of my creatures just to get some more life...

But hey, Well of Lost Dreams!

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

So much quality, it's hard to narrow down.  Great!

Pretty surprised to see neither Serra Avatar nor Sun Titan.  Who wants to bet at least one of these will be introduced into this deck in the next wad of cards?
Just hit the AI with Seraph of Dawn + Celestial Mantle and went from 20 to 50 life.
Cool

Edit: Now at 106 life… Surprised
Edit2: 216 life…
Edit3: 436 life at the end of the game. 
Just got an Ajani's Pridemate up to 15/15 on turn 4 (the turn after he was summoned) thanks to 3x Soul Wardens and every other card providing lifegain.

Edit: 31/31 a few turns later to swing in for the win. (Ah, easy AI) 
It's crazy how fast you can gain life with this deck. It's like March to War on steroids.
This lifegain deck can almost out aggro the white aggro deck.   Huh
It's really crazy - even if you drop to about 10 or so two turns later you can be up to over 30 and get these [c]

Serra Ascendant[/c]s up and running - ergh flying ;)

Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
This deck seems to be way overpowered and in need of some nerfs.
This deck seems to be way overpowered and in need of some nerfs.

It's creatures have no defenses of any kind.
They're vulnerable to every form of removal available. The best it can do is a handful of (mostly expensive) cards that increase toughness.
I think that's good, it's balanced in that way.  The deck is fine the way it is, if it had some Brave the Elements then I would say OP.   But as it stands it has a solid deck of low CMC but highly synergistic creatures.  Plus it's got pretty good removal for a white lifegain deck. I've been doing well with it so far.  Only lost to Chandra - curse you Flames of the Blood Hand!  My opponent drew 3 of them.
So... any word yet on how Serra Ascendant (and to a lesser extent, Felidar Sovereign) work in 2HG?  I read something about them never showing up in opening hands, so what's the deal... you can't draw them for the first x turns?
So... any word yet on how Serra Ascendant (and to a lesser extent, Felidar Sovereign) work in 2HG?  I read something about them never showing up in opening hands, so what's the deal... you can't draw them for the first x turns?

Nah that was all preview copy.
I haven't played enough of this deck to try it though.

You can play it Turn 1. It's not fair... at all
well health cap is 9999 just found that out with my friend playing with that deck.  Ridiculous it only took him about 40 minutes to get to that too while not attacking me and me still being able to do nothing
So... basically your options are "Play Celestial Light in 2HG" or "Don't play 2HG" huh?
If you play a deck with enough hard removal you might be able to stop it, but yeah, 2HG doesn't look like it has a bright future....
2HG will be Ajani + (whatever deck turns out to be 2nd best). I'm betting you will see a lot of Ajani + Liliana. Liliana's high cost bombs are so good it's sickening, it's going to be hell to play against that deck in slower formats like 2HG and 4 player FFA.

You can play it Turn 1. It's not fair... at all

It's also not insurmountable.
Chandra owns this deck pretty hard. I thought it would completely vise versa before release.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

wondering why its hard to pull mana from this deck....
Yeah, this deck has pretty much turned me off of 2HG.
So what are people putting in taking out of this deck. I'm sitting at 73 cards and just can't for the life of me find 13 cards that should be taken out lol.
Yeah, this deck has pretty much turned me off of 2HG.

There needs to be a gentlemen agreement not to use Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign. Like it worked with dual Jace and Aura + Knights in 2012 - *ehem*
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
This deck is pretty easy to build.  I bunch of filler and a lot of quality cards.

Creatures

3 x Serra Ascendant - only cast turn one if you are on the play and have Pridemate for a turn 2 drop
3 x Soul Warden - probably best turn one drop you have, unless this deck gets Mother of Runes
4 x Ajani's Pridemate - the glue of this deck, always want one in your opening grip if you can
2 x Ajani's Suntriker - meh, but it's decent and I wanted to try a little on the aggro side. Wish they were both...
2 x Knight of Meadowgrain - first strike lifelink for 2 CMC is amazing.  Plus when you swing with pridemate, this lifegain will resolve before PM deals damage.
1 x Lone Missionary - ok, but 1 toughness is bad vs. so much aggro.   With Soul Warden out, it double procs pridemate though.
1 x Kemba's Skyguard -need flyers early.
1 x Rhox Faithmender - DOUBLE LIFE GAIN
1 x Archon of Redemption - not too many flyers, but most of your big creatures are, and a 3/4 flyer for 5 isn't bad
1 x Baneslayer Angel - obviously
1 x Felidar Sovereign - Alternate Win Condition.  Very handy for mirror matchs
1 x Purity - no Vigor, but still amazing

Other

1 x Basilisk Collar - good for control and pumping Pridemate 
2 x Swords to Plowshares -instant speed exile OP
1 x Loxodon Warhammer -what you wouldn't give for white hexproof guys
1 x Recumbent Bliss - removal is alwasy good
2 x Solmen Offering - I think enchantments / artifacts are even more potent in this DOTP so having removal for them is good. 3x is too many, but 2x is good enough
1 x White Sun's Zenith - instant cats
3 x Chatise -I wanted as much removal as this deck would give me.  This is pretty good and can turn around a game.  Always wait for the last possible second, if they pump you gain more life.
2 x Day of Judgment - against swarming decks like Krenko and Odric, you'll want this
1 x Well of Lost Dreams - good for stalled games. Massive card advantage, but very slow

Overall I think this is a solid deck, not OP, but strong.  tell me what you think.