6/18/2012 Feature Article: "Duels on iPad"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
As a brand new player coming into Magic, via the iOS route, it would be great if you explicitly state what iPad platforms are supported, as various iPad iOS apps are starting towards more fragmentation due to the older platforms limitations. The article hints that it's all iPad versions since it mentions iPad 1 testing. Not one article I read on the internet had the supported hardware or iOS version info listed as it would be in the AppStore. Just a small criticism

Thanks for the article. 
Max - I'm curious how you handled educating a new user about how the app works.  I've found that other iOS apps don't have as much direct guidance, but rely more on the user tapping everywhere to figure it out.  I could see that being complex with Magic, though - any thoughts?

I haven't had the opportunity to play paper Magic or MTGO in a couple years, but I'm considering picking up Duels of the Planeswalkers for iPad to have something to do on an upcoming vacation.  And, it might be a good way to introduce it to my son (as MaRo mentioned in the other article today).
When does Duels drop for iPad?
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I'm just assuming that the Android tablet users are just going to be disappointed when they realize that there is no version for them right? Not everyone has an iPad and there are other tablets out there. Any plans for an Android version? ever?
When does Duels drop for iPad?

June 20th. Though since I'm in Australia, I may have to wait till late 20th or even 21st possibly to get it.

Any word on if/when an Android version will be available?
Wow...  I hope that I didn't take that wrong but it sounds like you guys don't use iPads that much (aimed at WotC).  First off...  the multi-gesture would be a great addition in the future but only if it is useful and 2 is an OPTION.  Secondly I hope you guys handled zooming correctly.  IMO the correct way to do it would have been two phased...  1) Double tap card to "engage" and bring that card to the front (just like the other titles) 2) once "engaged" you then can pinch, drag, "save image", "tweet image", "facebook image" etc. etc. etc. from there and finally 3) double tap again to go back.  Could also be "engaged" by the tap and hold to pull up a menu esque navigation method.

As for the "fat fingering" as i know of it...  you must have been using thumbs...  the button is pleanty large enough although it could be spaced a little higer as to not interfere with the "go" button?

In the end as long as it plays well the "way" you go about doing things will not matter.  The real question is are you guys releasing a trial or do you have to out right buy? 
I pre-ordered Duels 13 mostly so I can play Planechase cus you guys wont put it on MTGO for me.

Oh, and I got it on Steam for PC.  Make it for iPod and Ill get it on there too.

And it's out. And I bought it for iPad. And I guess a lot of you are asleep...
Im not asleep even though I SO should be.  Steam is telling me apx. 8 hours.  Its been the 20th for six hours..........
I'm about to get it.  I'll let you know how it is.

EDIT:  WOTC, keep this up.  I'd been upset for a while due to how allergic you seem to money.  iOS is a gold mine for your product.  I expect this product to be your most successful non-MODO release on any platform.  I've been on your case about this for a while now.  Enjoy my money.  Savor it.  You earned this.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I already have it on the Xbox and would buy it again for the PC if it would keep track of your score/ranking cross platform.  also playing my 360 friends from the iPad would be great as well...

After having played it for a bit, I have one issue with the UI.  When a player plays a card, I double tap to read it but then they are doing stuff while I'm reading it so I miss my chance to respond.  I could pause every time they play a card, but thats intrusive, annoying and the reality is that I dont want to pause every time.  Some cards I know and some I dont, I feel it would be nice that if you were zoomed in reading a card, it would have the same effect as hitting the pause button without stopping the play clock, or just stop the clock for say 10 seconds.  I wouldnt want to tie up their whole turn reading cards... but sometimes I want to know what a cards does to decide if I want to respond.  Intutuvely when playing IRL I would just ask to see the card.  I dont think to pause and then read it. 

Just my $.02

Choosing mana I hear is a big improvement, and it took me a bit to get used to it but I like it now.  Otherwise the game is great!  I was very impressed!   Well, one other thing, man it would be great if you could sideboard during a duel.  That would be awesome!