Favourite Deck + Most hated Deck

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
So as Dotp 2012 is coming to a end what was your fav deck and your most hated deck?

Mine is close between March to war + Goul keeper for my fav, "flips coin" Goul keeper just wins cuz endless ranks of the dead allways makes me laugh so hard.

My most hated is Grave wispers and trinity but id pick Grave wispers as its horrible to play against and trinity is just a bad deck imo.

Ill keep a runing tally and see what comes out on top and bottom.

Favourite           Most hated
Dark Heavens                                                     +9                      +1
March to War                                                     +5
Machinations                                                      +4
Ghoulkeeper                                                       +3
Ancient Depths                                                  +3                        +1
Cloudburst                                                         +2                        +1
Strength of Stone                                               +2                         +1
Forest's Fury                                                      +1
Apex Predators                                                   +1
Guardians of the Wood                                         +1                        +1
Unquenchable Fire
Wielding Steel
Blood Hunger
Dragon's Roar                                                    +1                          +2
Grave Whispers                                                  +2                          +3
Trinity of Elements                                              +1                          +3
Realm of Illusion                                                 +2                          +4
Auramancer                                                                                    +8
Beknighted                                                                                     +13

Remember this isnt about what was most powerfull just what you liked or hated the most
Favorite: Dark Heavens 
-complicated deck its not to easy to get the win, which is why i love using it.

Most Hated : Realm Of Illusion  
-Cheap deck, requires dam near no skill. Fall back deck for noobs when they are losing.

Favorite: Ancient Depths
-Full with awesome fatties and big spells, nice to beat people with a big army of fatties, eldrazis and [/]rites of replication[/c].

Most Hated: Auramancer
- First i thought Realm of Illusion, but it's only too strong in this format. Auramancer on the other side is really cheap: Put Auras on a creature on attack... so lame with hexproof and totemarmor, cheap "tactic" and very onesided.
My favorite was cloudburst. I don't know why, but I usually had a good time playing it, even though it wasn't the best.

Least favorite, probably would go with Strength of Stone. It just really wasn't what I wanted from a red deck, and it didn't help that I was apparently really bad at playing it for whatever reason. 
Favorite: Gravewhispers
My classic. I'm a fan of black control, what can I say? Although, this deck was missing a few key pieces to really make extremely happy. Still, always kept coming back to this deck.

Most Hated: Dragon's Roar
Hate seems strong, as I don't think I hate any deck, but this deck was a huge disappointment. Few exciting cards, few good cards. It was a mess and just not fun to play with most of the time.
Fav: Dark Heavens. Love the shenanigans.

Most hated: Benighted. Need I say more?
Favorite: Guardians of the Wood
-What can I say, I love my elves!

Most Hated: Beknighted
-I do not like Knight Exemplar, especially not three of them.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Hated: Every deck.  Seriously, 2012 was just terrible.  WOW trible theme for every deck. So much fun.

Granted yes i played this game a lot but only cuz i really couldnt find many ppl who still played the first game enough to not play 2012.

Fav:  March to War

Hate: Beknighted. 
Favorite: Not one in particular. I generally play a deck continously for days, sometimes a week to see different match-ups, all possible outcomes and achieve the best result / combo. I tried my hand in all in that regard in different times and found non-aggro decks to be more enjoyable. Some favorites that I remember are: Machinations, Ancient Depths, Strength of Stone, Dark Heavens, discard and new mono green deck.

Most hated: Realms of Illusion.
Favorite: Dark Heavens. Followed by march to war, and grave whispers. But definitely of the 3 dark heavens is my favorite.

Hated: Not sure what to put here, most hated deck (too cheap) or least favorite to play?
I guess it would be trinity for least favorite to play, its pretty much a waste of a deck IMO.
Hated: Every deck.  Seriously, 2012 was just terrible.  WOW trible theme for every deck. So much fun.

Granted yes i played this game a lot but only cuz i really couldnt find many ppl who still played the first game enough to not play 2012.

Every deck was not tribal.  Yes, there were a lot of tribal decks.  They are:  Elves, Vampires, Zombies, Treefolk, Illusions, Dragons, Soldier, Artifact and Knight.  Tribal deck count:  9 decks.

Decks that are not tribal:  Dark Heavens, March to War (this deck had a variety of creatures), Grave Whispers, Auramancer, Cloudburst, Trinity of Elements, Strength of Stone, Ancient Depths, Unquenchable Fire and Apex Predators.  Non tribal deck count:  10 decks.

Are there are a lot?  Yes but it's not every deck.  You might see tribal decks fairly often in matches but my favorite ones to play were Grave Whispers and Dark Heavens.  I also liked the Treefolk deck but not for the tribal theme but rather a better designed version of Garruk's deck.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Favorite : Strength of Stone

After the update, this deck became a lot of fun in 2HG.  Paired with a stronger deck, once it hits turn 5 it can become very dangerous.  Doubly so, since most opponents dismiss it as 'the starter deck'.

Hated : Auramancer

The deck strategy is simple - 'place whatever glowing card you have on the the first creature you put out'.  A monkey could be taught how to do this in a matter of minutes.

Most favourite - March to War, because

Second place - Grave Whispers

Most hated - probably Auramancer, because it's so non-interactive and hexproof mechanic is just too much for DotP metagame.
Second place - Cloudburst, for being such a huge dissappointment for me. So much potential wasted due to poor deck design, it makes me sick every time I think of it.
My favourite deck was probably Ghoulkeeper, cause I love me some Zombies, and especially since Wizards have always nailed Zombies in terms of flavour, they couldn't of done a better job at depicting the flavour of a relentless horde that keeps on coming and growing in size, I mean you can't get a better designed card than Endless Ranks of the Dead in terms of flavour.

My least favourite deck was Dark Heavens, not because it was a bad deck or cheap or anything, its just it was so ubiquitous in 4-player ffa that it became tiresome.
Dragon's Roar or Apex Predators....yeah both decks were not the best ones but I had the most fun with them. Cloudburst, Machinations and Trinity of Elements were very interesting, too. I would say Dragon's Roar is my favorite deck but If I'm honest I can't really decide.

I really disliked Realms of Illusion.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I enjoyed every deck that had some blue in it.

Absolutely hated Beknighted, it destroyed the game for me and I haven't touched it ever since it was added. 
Machinations is my favorite.

I hate Auramancer.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

People who say Realms takes no skill, doesnt know how to play that deck properly. Granted it can be cheap if somebody runs a creature focused build, but nothing a sweeper wont fix. 

Ive played 2HG with A LOT of realms players, 99% of them are terrible. Playing cards too early and just not using control to its advantage. Its all opinion though and im not having a go at peoples decisions, im just saying.

Most hated to play against : double GW, on its own its fairly mid table, but two of them is...well its pointless.
Most hated to play with (team mate) : Aurachancer. Poor deck, too slow, no ramp no removal.

Favourite deck to play against : Anything with colour that isnt black, chandra is a good challenge
Favourite deck to play as : Realms of illusion. I run only 10 creatures and play it more like Thoughts from 09 than anything else. Control all the way!            

Absolutely hated Beknighted, it destroyed the game for me and I haven't touched it ever since it was added. 

Beknighted isnt that bad if you play smart with removal. The deck is weak agains Realms, Chandra, vamps, GW, to a certain extent ghoulkeeper and should get smashed by FF if you use beast within at the right time. Not telling you how to play the game, im just giving you a heads up, i dont know what your skill level is so dont take offence if you know all this lol
Favorite Deck: I like to play decks that people aren't expecting. Most people play the same 3-4 decks over and over and over... til everyone wants to find those cards in real life and light them on fire. Anyway Cloudburst was fav... too bad it sucked compared to '09's version.

Hated Deck: Hands down people play 3-4 decks the most when I'm online: Beknighted, Zombies, Aura, and Jace. Now of these 4 the one deck that I find the most infuriating is definately Beknighted. Exiles all over the place, industructible creatures, double strike for everyone, protection from red, black, green, flanking.... i mean jeez man. Compare all the bells and whistles this deck has to Apex and then you might realize what I'm talking about. It can shut down a vast majority of mono colored decks with the protections. I just get so annoyed by this deck because it doesn't seem like it was designed to balance with the other decks... more like DLC broken/OP build IMO. So there you have it.

Beknighted isnt that bad if you play smart with removal. The deck is weak agains Realms, Chandra, vamps, GW, to a certain extent ghoulkeeper and should get smashed by FF if you use beast within at the right time. Not telling you how to play the game, im just giving you a heads up, i dont know what your skill level is so dont take offence if you know all this lol

Well, the thing is, out of all the decks you mentioned, only one matches the group of decks I enjoyed :D

Well, the thing is, out of all the decks you mentioned, only one matches the group of decks I enjoyed :D

Ah, yeah that is a kicker. Dont worry, there will be no beknighted next time!
Fave is Dark Heavens. It's just the most fun to play with. 2nd would be March to War.

Least fave... I guess Dragon's Roar. It's just a weak deck and to add to that, for some reason I tend to always get mana screwed when I use it... 2nd least fave would be Cloudburst.
I think my favourite was March to War, lots of fun cards and different ways to set it up.

Least favourite deck is between Auramancer and Beknighted. Auramancer because I rarely feel like the result had anything to do with either player. Beknighted because it is vicious against a lot of decks and everyone played it, making things a bit boring. I think I will give the most hated to Auramancer, because at least with Beknighted you can annoy its players with Dark Heavens, which they never seem able to deal with particularly well
Favorite: Ancient Depths. Dark Heavens comes in close second, followed by March to War.

Least favorite: Trinity of Elements. The deck I was most excited for, and it fell flat on its face.. then exploded. Cry
Favorite: Forest Fury, it is what Garruk should of been. It's beastly in 1v1, self-suffcient tank in 2HG, and can effectivly intimidate/group hug in 3-4 Player matches.

2nd - Trinity Of Elements: Most people say it's awful, and if it isn't trimmed precisely, this is true. But after HOURS of playtesting, it is a very very fast 1v1 slayer, like Elves. Even when it loses, my opponents are typically at a one-digit life total. It is my underdog pet deck for sure.

3rd - Vampires: This deck is very satisfying to play, It feels powerful without being cheap. I chose this as my Main in Ranked 1v1 because it can go toe-to-toe with most decks if your wits are quick enough.

Least Favorite: Aside from Beknighted, for it's exemplars/5 color proctection/lifelink/omg removal...

1st - March to War:  it is boring, sorry. Boring to look at, boring to fight, I didn't even download it because I felt Dark Whispers outclassed Zombies.

2nd - Apex Predators: Really? I didn't even finish unlocking it because it took so long to beat the computer.

3nd - Grave Whispers: I love this deck, it would tie with Gaurdians of the Wood for 4th fave, but being on the other end of it as some situations can be frustrating.
Least Favorite: DUEL DISCARD
Favorite:  Man, this is tough.  Probably Ancient Depths, followed closely by March to War and Realm of Illusion.  They're all potent, fun to play as, and have at least some way of attempting to adapt to most strategies.

Most hated:  Trinity of Elements, followed closely by Cloudburst, Apex Predators, and Dragon's Roar.  Nothing pisses me off in a great, dynamic game like wasted potential.

Everyone of course is entitled to their own opinion, so here's mine on the subject of some of the more hated decks like Beknighted.  BK isn't the problem!  There are so many options out of so many cards for each and every deck that should have been there to give the other decks outs.  The issue is that they weren't included.

Yes, BK tends to be more simplistic than many of the other decks, but it's still not brain-dead.  I've seen so many suboptimal builds of the deck online.  But, of course, you play something like Zombies against it when they get turn 3 Mirran Crusader, turn 4 Armored Ascension, it doesn't matter.

Are you a bit angry, and feel a bit powerless?  Yeah, I can understand that.

In paper Magic, you could adapt your strategy and add the appropriate responses, at least as a sideboard option.  On Duels, you can't sideboard, and you're limited to what the game has presented you, so if you don't have the answers available, it's out of your hands.

Should we then just want the best decks made mediocre?  No.  We should want potent, focused decks that capture core deck ideas and strategies, because that's how paper Magic works.  In the Duels series, that doesn't mean 4 each of every bomb mythic to make the decks; just that the deck is constructed intelligently, and effectively.  We should also demand that each deck has at least some way, even if not the very best way, of dealing with the opposing strategies.

Now look at what we know about Pack Instinct.  At a glance, it seems to be more powerful than any of the mono-green decks in the older games, with better answers to some of green's traditional weaknesses.  This is how it should be done with every deck.  I would love to see a fully-tuned version of this go up against RoI from 2012.

On the other hand, now that we have a mill deck, does that mean no deck should ever be allowed to have an Eldrazi because it steamrolls their strategy?  No; it means that there should definitely be an inclusion for the mill deck to address that directly.  Jester's Cap, Bribery, Relic of Progenitus...it's a long list of soild options we could make.

In short, nerfing good decks isn't the answer.  Fixing the shortcomings a bit better in the weaker ones is. 
Favorite: Axl Rose's Use Your Illusions (and the guy who said piloting this deck takes no skill please elaborate? yes, the deck is powerful, but i'd also say it takes the most skill out of all the decks...even bribery is not an auto-win)

Least: Auramancer without a doubt. Pacifism and Fists of Ironwood on an opponent's creature is about as interactive as it gets for that deck. 
Machinations is my favourite. It has the best control (in my opinion), and is constantly underestimated. It has the surprise kills that BH can pull out, a good number of cancels like ROI, and so many win scenarios. For the most part, the only time I'll lose is by mana flood/drought.Don't really have a least favourite. I don't much like Trinity, but that's because I can't play a game with Trinity without the auto land tap screwing me. Usually in a game ending fashion.I don't think much of BK, though. It's effectively been designed specifically to kill DR, SOS, UF, AP, GotW, GK, and GW. And it can handle BH and ROI about half the time. Which is a bit ridiculous. Only Machinations, MtW, and DH have a good record against BK, in my experience.
Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.
I like Dark Heavens and RoI, these are the two I consider the skill decks of the game. Dark Heavens takes the top spot because you absolutely cannot win without thinking your game through.
Favourite: Such a difficult choice, I enjoy every deck in the game in either 1v1 or 2hg for very different reasons with the exception of Beknighted (not my most hated deck, it's just the complete opposite of what I enjoy in MTG). If I HAD to choose one it would probably be...

Zombies. I wish it was a bit more complex to play as I much prefer control to aggro/tribal, but it just feels so right. It's extremely competitive (would be top tier if it weren't for a few meh creatures) as it doesn't really have a counterpick, has a good mana curve and most importantly of all as a previous poster said...it feels like you're summoning a relentless zombie hoard. Perfect feel to it, always enjoy playing it without fail.

Most Hated: Possibly an even harder choice. I so want to go with a lot of people and say Auramancer as it's so damn cheesy in 1v1 with Hexproof (enjoy it in 2hg though, adds a nice challenge). However, for a rather unique reason I'm going to have to go with...

Ancient Depths, by far the most boring deck to play against in the history of DOTP. It's not the deck I hate, it's what it does to the game. I equate playing against Ancient Depths to being a Blackjack croupier having to keep a compulsive addicted gambler busy for a whole evening. You know you're going to win, they know you're going to win...the problem is they don't care. They'll just keep duelling you and duelling you until they fluke out an extremely fast ramp or Polymorph or Elvish Piper, even if it takes them five defeats before they manage it (and it often does).

I don't feel like I'm playing Magic when I play against AD, I just feel like I'm playing a pointless racing game where I get no satisfaction for winning and annoyed when losing (because of the huge amount of luck involved). Then again I'm not a fan of gimmicks, and have nothing against people who play AD (probably has something to do with the fact that it has always been one of the most played decks, even now in the game's last days).

Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed 2012. If you ignore the addition of online 2HG and only talk of the 1v1 metagame, not as much as the original DOTP (pre vampires of course) as it had a more varied meta game and more control decks.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Favorite:  Dark Heavens.  You had a lot of options in directions you could take the deck through card choice, and you had to strategize.  Plus it's just built around that fun feeling of being behind and then turning the tables in a satisfying way.  Strength of Stone post-expansion kinda had this too, but not as consistently.

Least Favorite:  Beknighted.  Protection and Indestructible are not a fun way to win a game, or lose a game.  Just dull and obnoxious to deal with such no-thought, non-interactive win conditions. 
All the decks require skill to be good with, you can walk all over an inexperienced player running 90 cards in AD.
Hate: Beknighted
Favourite: Dark Heavens.
Lots of inter- and intra-action with the great cards in this deck.

Least favourite: Dragon's Roar.
This deck just doesn't come together making it a chore to play. I rebuilt this deck on MtG:O in Planeswalker format adding in some Terminates and other upgrades. Eventually what worked was making it a Goblin rush deck with Voracious Dragon as a finisher, but it still wasn't very good.
Favorite:  March to War

Hated:  Beknighted

Interesting survey by the way.
I think only one other person besides me liked Machinations the best. I find that a little surprising. Such a fun deck once you get it rolling.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

hehe some awesome replys here love the angry birds squad hawks xD that made me laugh and i totally agree there amazing won so many games with them. will update list tomorow cba right now :P
Fave: Machinations and Dark Heavens (toss up) ... love them together in 2HG
HATE!!!: Elves
CAN'T STAND: BeKnighted!! (and anyone that uses it, which lately is almost everyone!!)Theres just really NO thinking involved with (elves or knights)

Sign In to post comments