Help in optimizing a Regenerator

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I want to ask for some ideas on how to further improve a certain combination of skills.

I must mention that the scope is only up to paragon (Epic ideas are still welcome), and daily limitations (whether a power is encounter or daily) are only a minor issue.

The base classes are Cleric and Artificer, either through hybrid or MC (both methods are needed to extend the combo).

I'll include only the relevant information about the skills, omitting sections that don't directly contribute to the combo.

The title is actually a misnomer, as actual regeneration is only a minor part of the combination, which is divided into two main areas:

Mitigation

Umbral Soul (Cleric Utility 10)- Insubstantial and weakened til EoNT, requires minor to sustain

Enter the Crucible 
(Endurance Utility 10)- Lose a healing surge, until the end of the encounter, you cannot be weakened and you gain resist all 10

Regeneration

Radiant Sigil (Artificer Daily 9)- Until end of the encounter, any attack using the targeted weapon/implement deals radiant damage. Whenever any attack power using the weapon/implement hits, its wielder regains hit points equal to your Constitution modifier
Note: This is an Artificer Healing power.

Beacon of Hope (Cleric Daily 1)- Until the end of the encounter, whenever your restore hit points with a healing power, the recipient regains +5 additional hit points

Potent Restorables (Heroic feat, Artificer)- Your artificer healing powers restore an additional 2 hit points. this bonus increases to 3 at 6th level, 4 at 11th level, 5 at 16th level, 6 at 21st level, and 7 at 26th level

Healer's Brooch (Level 4/9/14/19/24/29 Neck)- Whenever you use a power that enables you or an ally to regain hit points, add the brooch's enhancement bonus to the hit points gained

Regeneration Infusion (Artificer Utility 6)- Target must be bloodied; Your or one ally gains regeneration equal to your Constitution modifier until the end of the encounter.
Note: The regeneration doesn't stop when you're no longer bloodied. Does NOT benefit from any of the healing boosting stuff above.

======

That's pretty much it.
The first part halves all incoming damage then subtracts 10 from it, reducing a hit of 50 to 15 (barring stuff that pierce resist and insubstantial).
Edit: Wrong calculation, insubstantial is applied last, so 50 damage is reduced to 20.

The second allows you to gain [Con mod + 5 + Potent Restorables bonus + brooch enhancement bonus] HP everytime you hit with the weapon/implement, which is incredible for surgeless healing.
A bit of regeneration doesn't hurt either.

Example builds:

More hits= more HP regained.

So far I've made two builds:

[Hybrid Cleric/Warlock MC Artificer, Student of Caiphon PP]
Using a Rending Execution Axe, Eldritch Strike has a 15% chance to crit and strike again, along with White Lotus Master Riposte for the threat of a third hit.

Con primary, Int secondary: the build has only minor use of the Cleric or Warlock spells, as you can't use Axes as implements (Symbol of the Sonnlinor only works for divine powers, and you have mediocre Wis. And you can't pick up Assassin MC because of Artificer).
Focuses on buffs and on powers that have an "Effect" line whether they hit or miss. Spellcasting can be improved by using Harmony blades instead (Heavy Blades as implement), but gold limitations had me choosing Rending (a second "high +" weapon was out of my budget).

[Hybrid Cleric/Invoker MC Artificer, Morninglord PP]
Hand of Radiance hits up to three (4 at Epic) targets, inflicting radiant vulnerability to them and healing the caster per target hit.

Wis primary, Con secondary: this build can actually CAST spells, and the lower Con score (lowering the Radiant Sigil heal value) is mitigated by actual multi-hitting (other Invoker powers have good AoE/multi targetting as well, not to mention debuffs/etc).

======

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to boost the mitigation, healing, regeneration, or even the dps options available (due to radiant weapon/implement) to a Cleric/Artificer/+third possible class.

And no, Weapon of Healing (Mace) doesn't help much, it only applies the bonus when you allow AN ALLY to regain hit points.
I'm looking for solo builds/ideas (though teamplay builds are still welcome).

One thing to note: Anything that causes damage to be halved, whether the weakened condition or effect of a power or feat or whatever, is always processed last. It's one of the few times in the game effect order is mentioned. (RC 226, Half Damage heading)
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Ah, thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.
Also, if you do get a source of actual Regeneration, and you have a Con score, the epic feat Rapid Regeneration is right up your alley: +Con to the regen amount.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Alright, we're still in mid-paragon levels, but thanks for the suggestion.
A lot of class guides would probably have passed by that feat.
 There was a theme thing that entered the game recently - ironsoul or something metally sounding, cant recall - but anyway - when you are bloodied, you have damage reduction.  If you dont need your theme for anything else - this might be handy.
Ironwrought gives you DR 2 / per tier, but mostly benefits melee weapon wielders.
Ironwrought is indeed an option.
But it is redundant with Enter the Crucible, which gives resist all 10 AND negates the "weakened" status from Umbral Soul.
It's also easy to get- you can even burn a feat (Skill Power) if you need your utility slots that much. 
Also, You mentioned not being able to take MC assassin preventing you from casting. I assume this is because you want a ki-focus as an implement, as it won't get in the way of your crazy E-Axe awesomeness in the warlock build.

There are two ways around this that I can see: A) Play a warforged and embed a rod. Depending on your armor and feat setup, this will have varied action economy, but you'll be able to cast, and loot cool properties from ki foci. B) Take elemental Initiate as your theme. Ki foci as implements, and you get a good power to boot.

Alternatively, You're a cleric, and are proficient with holy symbols; you don't have to be actively holding a holy symbol in your hand to "wield" it, it just needs to be on your person displayed somewhere.
Actually I mentioned Assassin MC because it (and Monk) allows you to use ANY weapon you're proficient with as implements (in Warlock's case, the Execution Axe).
There's no other way of using Axes as an implement (for non-divine powers) as far as I know.

And yes, I realize Holy symbols can be used like that but gold restrictions won't allow me to buy a symbol with a good enhancement.
Same limitations as to why I picked Rending (Axe) weapon over Harmony (Heavy Blade) weapons, despite Axes having lower proficiency bonuses.
Two upgraded weapons are out of my budget.

I guess i can afford a cheap  +1 or even +2 Accurate symbol, but it will cost a feat (Superior Implement Training) in order to boost my spellcasting, but the build is all about wading into battle with a giant axe, hitting hard with Eldritch Strike anyway.
I can live with subpar casting (accuracy-wise), as I can instead focus on buffing spells or ones that have an effect whether they hit or not.

Thanks for the ideas though, warforged embedding is an option that didn't occur to me (AND they are a Con/Int race, sweet).
Actually I mentioned Assassin MC because it (and Monk) allows you to use ANY weapon you're proficient with as implements (in Warlock's case, the Execution Axe).
There's no other way of using Axes as an implement (for non-divine powers) as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure that's not true anymore, again, unless you're talking about Ki Focuses. I know that O-ssassins were initially written with that as their implement proficiency, but that was changed when they were fully published, and they just ended up with Ki Foci. If this has been changed recently, then there is some serious sh*t about to go down in my copy of CB.

Also, if you're really getting stomped on by budget in particular, consider Unseilie Agent.  Free scaling weapon or implement of any variety you can use (This includes both superior weapons/implements [you have to take your proficiency feat at level 1 however]) with a decent d8 critical die, and the equivalent at-will power of a summoned weapon. If you're hating the lack of a weapon property, you can always go back and overwrite with a Ki-focus property at a later date, and you get to keep the superior weapon properties (or if it's a superior ki-focus, then who cares.)

Warforged are one of my three favorite races (along with Revenant and Dragonborn), and they don't get nearly as much love as the other two. They're so good, and have so much random crap they can do for so little investment.
Ah yes, I think im seeing the thing with ki-focuses and weapons.
Looks like it was changed along the way, I was mis-interpreting the MC feats.

Anyway, the Rending property is pretty much key, so I need the +4 on my weapon. I'll just have to live with inaccurate spells.
Thanks for the Unseelie suggestion though!
It'll help with budget stuff with other characters I make (I'm actually DMing a game, I want to keep my NPCs at the same level [16] and gold as the PCs)