What obscure monsters do you want in D&D Next?

Exactly waht it says on the tin. What obscure creatures do you want brought back in D&D Next. Here are a few of my picks:

Kythons: From the 3e Book of Vile Darkness, I'd love to see them brought back. With their organic weaponry and Xenomorphish frames, they could become D&D's equivalent to the Tyranids, though I do wish they had a few more variants to make the analogy complete (Such as one with wings, one with many disgusting and horrible breath weapons, a burrowing one, that sort of thing)

Kaorti: From the 3e Fiend Folio, I like these guys as Aberrant humanoid mooks a lot better than the Fowlspawn, because they feel so much more alien with their resin dependency. Plus, the Skybleeder is the most awesome mount for anything ever.

Ocularon: Those eyestealing creatures from the 3e Fiend Folio, I think they'd be perfect to bring back as the (un)natural enemy of Beholders, with their ability to steal eyes and make them explode and their fear of being seen.
Ixachachitl.

Becuase their name is silly.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Extrimigrals. I made it up right now.
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
More quori than you can shake a stick at.

Seriously...quori.

My players LOATHE the day I found out about quori. Smile

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

The pre 4E lamia. 
Exactly waht it says on the tin. What obscure creatures do you want brought back in D&D Next. Here are a few of my picks:

Kythons: From the 3e Book of Vile Darkness, I'd love to see them brought back. With their organic weaponry and Xenomorphish frames, they could become D&D's equivalent to the Tyranids, though I do wish they had a few more variants to make the analogy complete (Such as one with wings, one with many disgusting and horrible breath weapons, a burrowing one, that sort of thing)

YES!  D&D's version of Alien was awesome!

Also, why not bring back some of the undead from Libris Mortis, like Necropolitan? 

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Also, why not bring back some of the undead from Libris Mortis, like Necropolitan? 

Stitched Flesh Familiar
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
Symbiotes
Symbiotes

Forsooth, I want to see Evil Symbiote Armour tempting characters to the dark side. The Dalkyr from Eberron were fantastic.

Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
The Jabberwock.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Ones that can be killed only with a holy hand granade.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Holy hand Granada was a power in the Pre-Alpha version of the pally class in my RPG (linked in my sig BTW)
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
Symbiotes

Forsooth, I want to see Evil Symbiote Armour tempting characters to the dark side. The Dalkyr from Eberron were fantastic.

Agreed. Heck, I'd love to see a symbiotic suit of living armor as a major artifact.
I'll toss another two in!  While it was technically D20 Modern, the Night Terror!  Perhaps the Bogeyman too!  Whose to say either can't fit into a standard fantasy world?

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
The Dire Platypus.
D&D Experience Level: Relatively new First Edition: 4th Known Editions: 4th, 3.5 --- Magic Experience Level: Fairly skilled First Expansion: 7th Edition Play Style: Very Casual
Nagpa.

Vegepygmies and the Aurumvorax . . .

I ran far too many sessions using Barrier Peaks back in the day
Vegepygmies and the Aurumvorax . . .

I ran far too many sessions using Barrier Peaks back in the day

Gorilla Bears from Fiend Folio 1st edition

You get to fight Giant Monkeys and Bears at the same time.

(yes, I know that gorillas are apes. Giant Monkey sounds funnier to me.) 
...Dire Ferret mounts for halflings.

"You know what's inspiring?  It's not humans on horseback.  Ohhhhhhh no.  It's seeing a whole business of dire ferrets cresting the mountaintop, the halfling spears shining in the bright morning sun, the crisp breath puffing little clouds into the chill air."

The halfling's eyes get this dreamy, far away look.

"And then...then the charge comes.  The come bounding down the mountain..."  At this point, the halfling rapidly moves her hands in a rough approximation of a bounding ferrets unsightly gait.  "Just like this!  And their little feet pound against the ground and you can even feel it!  And you know what that sight means, if you're the one in their way?"

"It means it's about to be your a**.  Because no animal inspires such fierce terror as the graceful, noble, and majestic dire ferret..." -- Attributed to Kisa Sweetwater, lvl 6 halfling ranger of Sharn

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

...Dire Ferret mounts for halflings.

"You know what's inspiring?  It's not humans on horseback.  Ohhhhhhh no.  It's seeing a whole business of dire ferrets cresting the mountaintop, the halfling spears shining in the bright morning sun, the crisp breath puffing little clouds into the chill air."

The halfling's eyes get this dreamy, far away look.

"And then...then the charge comes.  The come bounding down the mountain..."  At this point, the halfling rapidly moves her hands in a rough approximation of a bounding ferrets unsightly gait.  "Just like this!  And their little feet pound against the ground and you can even feel it!  And you know what that sight means, if you're the one in their way?"

"It means it's about to be your a**.  Because no animal inspires such fierce terror as the graceful, noble, and majestic dire ferret..." -- Attributed to Kisa Sweetwater, lvl 6 halfling ranger of Sharn

This. Just....so much this.

There needs to be a module dealing entirely with converting any animal you can think of into a dire version.
D&D Experience Level: Relatively new First Edition: 4th Known Editions: 4th, 3.5 --- Magic Experience Level: Fairly skilled First Expansion: 7th Edition Play Style: Very Casual
Anyone remember the original Demi-lich?  Ridiculous monster and I want it back.

I also remember in the Companion set from original D&D (teal cover, cool Larry Elmore Green Dragon on the front), they covered the Beholders and that fired my imagination so much.  The idea of undead ones did too and one of these beasties played a promiinent role in one of our adventures.  So although I know beholders will be in the new Edition nearly without doubt, more varieties of them would be neat.

Also:  Dragonlance had some monsters that were pretty cool, like the Slig and the Thanoi.

Dragonlance's Undead Beast -- the Stankh and the Gholor, IIRC -- were hideously hated in my games.  Must have been my love affair with them.

"What?  That noise?  Oh, no, that's not a Gholor!  Oh wait...yah it is.  Shinish!" Tongue Out

Algoid: 1st Ed Fiend Folio; a large humanoid creature made up of tiny plant organisms.

My first combat encounter in D&D. 
Also, I'd like the Terlen back because FLYING SHAAAARK! I'm not sure whether I'd want the goofy, charming DiTerlezzi design or the more realistic, even goofier 3e design.
Not sure if it counts as obscure, but I always liked Crypt Things and Crypt Keepers.
Also, I'd like the Terlen back because FLYING SHAAAARK!

Wasn't there the Ghaan or something in the Corum series?
I second the Aurumvorax.  It always seemed like the least contrived method of just handing the party a big pile of gold.

The metagame is not the game.

Vegepygmies

and Myconids: With both of them as PC race options as well.

I'm totally serious. 
 I'm totally serious. 

Absolutely; a Myconid Monk is the coolest thing you've ever seen.
Mimics! Cause every-"thing" should have the power to become monsterous.
http://collectingrealities.blogspot.co.nz/
Vegepygmies

I'm totally serious. 

I approve this message.  Yes, I'm totally serious as well!

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Vegepygmies

I'm totally serious. 

I approve this message.  Yes, I'm totally serious as well!

I'm not as serious as you guys, but you know what they say; the more the merrier! Bring on the Myconids as a PC race!
I second the Aurumvorax.  It always seemed like the least contrived method of just handing the party a big pile of gold.

I third that. I just love the sound of the word, and I would love to have my characters get an aurumvorax pelt or two.
Time Dimensional.
Vegepygmies

I'm totally serious. 

+1

Penanggalan (because it could be a great mini)
The pre 4E lamia. 

Hasn't the Lamia changed just about every single edition? I remember it having the half snake body a while back. And then 3E has it with a lion body

Vegepygmies

I'm totally serious. 

Ah, come on, Myconids aren't obscure :p (Though I do second Vegepygmies)

As for me... Let's go out of the blue here, Fractals. Because angry salt men interested in devourering all water are just lovely
Orson Welles Unicron Allabar. 
the Shedu. I demand to be allowed to go to the Island of Misfit Toys.

What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
Gem Dragons !
Oard from Mystara/Blackmoor!  Evil cyborgs from an alternate future!  I already homebrewed them into my alternate future Realms game...  Plus, someone converted them to 4e.  Why not have them in 5e?

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
The Pre-4e Phoenix. And it should not be related to the Roc.