Brand of the Sun & Beholder's Death Ray

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Warpriest power "Brand of the Sun" grants a saving throw. A beholder's death ray allows for two saving throws before the character dies.

Does the "Brand of the Sun" save count against the "two save limit" or is it a "bonus" opportunity to avoid death?  

My DM's intuition says it's a bonus opportunity to avoid dying, but I'm curious to know if it's spelled out in the rules or if there's a precedent anywhere?

Thanks in advance!    
If a character under a Beholder's Death Ray effect is granted a saving throw with Brand of the Sun, if the character succeed, he will shake off the effect. If he fails, nothing will happen, since a Failed Saving Throw entry doesn’t change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.

RC 98 Failed Saving Throw: Sometimes an effect changes as a target fails saving throws against it. The new effect, specified in a “First Failed Saving Throw” or a “Second Failed Saving Throw” entry, takes effect after the target fails a saving throw against the previous effect at the end of the target’s turn. The effect doesn’t change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.
If a character under a Beholder's Death Ray effect is granted a saving throw with Brand of the Sun, if the character succeed, he will shake off the effect. If he fails, nothing will happen, since a Failed Saving Throw entry doesn’t change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.

RC 98 Failed Saving Throw: Sometimes an effect changes as a target fails saving throws against it. The new effect, specified in a “First Failed Saving Throw” or a “Second Failed Saving Throw” entry, takes effect after the target fails a saving throw against the previous effect at the end of the target’s turn. The effect doesn’t change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.

Woah woah woah.  So, if I have a way to make a saving throw at the *start* of my turn and I fail, then it doesn't count as a failed saving throw if the effect has something that happens on a fail?  What if the feature I am using to save at the beginning of my turn says that I do not get to try to save again at the end of my turn if I fail it at the beginning?
Woah woah woah.  So, if I have a way to make a saving throw at the *start* of my turn and I fail, then it doesn't count as a failed saving throw if the effect has something that happens on a fail?  What if the feature I am using to save at the beginning of my turn says that I do not get to try to save again at the end of my turn if I fail it at the beginning?

Exactly, the effect won't change because the saving throw was failed at a moment other than end of your turn.

Having an ability that would allow a save at the start of your turn instead of the end would still not produce Failed Saving Throw effects change because the saving throw wouldn't be made at the end of your turn. Its the time the save his made that matters.

When a Saving Throw is made at:

End of Turn: Failed Saving Throw ON
Any Other Time: Failed Saving Throw OFF
Perfect, thanks especially for the page reference in the RC!
Sign In to post comments