Out with the old in with the new

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Forbidden campaign draws to a close. We've played it for two years. Meeting twice a month. I have up to 10 players any given session. They seek to stop the rise of old gods before the madness consumes them. As the "Hunter of the shadows rises" They're in for one hellofa fight. But Win, loose, or draw (like the last will ever happen) this campaign ends. We shall end it with beer and Bacon!!! Buffalo Bacon, Turkey Bacon, and any many others I came across. Of course I'll relabel them. Buffalo or Hog jowl would make interesting dragon jerky. All campaigns should end with a party and reminiscent of the campaign. I'm trying to talk a friend into being a bard for the night and helping me write a song of the their exploits. This campaign has been 4e. That being said it has high points and low points. DnD next is on the horizon. I think my next campaign already well into the making is going to be much different. The players Will have new characters starting at lvl 1. They can be any base class or race. Nothing exotic. This is their Heroic Champion. These Characters will be brought from there respected worlds to the world of Tuterra. By the sage Melora. She requests the characters to fight the Empire. The Empire is ruled by a human female Wizard know as Delladonna the Archmage Queen. She has been in power of 3/4 the globe for longer then the oldest dragon can remember. Since her rule most of the human population has been tainted with evil and greed. (So humans are the model of the drow). But they're not the only race to shift.......

So the players will set out on adventure to gather assets to take back the planet. This is where my campaign starts to get unique. Each character starts of with two character slots. One is their Heroic Champion. The other can be made from any asset reward they unlock. If they can convince the dragonborn to join them. They can now make a second character with the new unlocked races, classes, prestige classes, ect. They can take 1 character out at a time. That leaves other characters in town to manage the war assets. I dish out RP reward points with xp. These can be used for buying more character slots (up to 6 at the moment) as well as other stuff. Weapon bonuses, Skills, Rare items and the like. But that's not all the war assets do. on a separate table will set a world map. Laid out like risk or something. This map will reflect the progress of their armies vs the empire. So they can literally see what lands they take or loose. (Still working on what system wanna use for these battles)

This is all just a tip of the iceberg. I have up to character lvl 4-5 done and a nice start of reward tables. Other ideas working into my game in cliff note version

-reputation with races. quests and favors increase or decrease
-nat 20 nat 1 temp bonus or penalties
-The only common magic is wands, scrolls, and potions. Everything else is rare and has its own back story
-Skill and special move training. (This would take a blog of its own lol)
- Achievements and Titles. These can unlock rewards as well

I've dm for over 25 years now. I've had hundreds of campaigns. This one feels so unique and epic. I really look forward to it. feels like a master piece in the making. Please tell me your thoughts and share your ideas. My players aren't part of the community at this time so I can talk about sensitive info here.
Meta gamers and Rules Lawyers A Mind Flayers Favorite Dish
Interesting turn of events my players decided the should all be humans with one halforc to form an Avengers style group. This should make some interesting roll playing
This is a list of the nat 20 bonuses. The way it works. You score a nat 20 you roll percentile you get the associated bonus for the night or till you roll a nat 1.....but that is another list

plus 1 to attack
plus 1 to damage
plus 1 to saves
plus 1 to ac
plus 1 to init
healing surge/potion effect
movement is a teleport
plus 20 hp
plus 10 hp
plus 1 to ac
Plus 1 str
Plus 1 wis
Plus 1 int
Plus 1 dex
Plus 1 con
Plus 1 cha
15 recover encounter each turn
15 recover daily each turn
action point/mulligan
Please bare with me. My bad english/grammar is a result of imagination being faster then fingers. My Forbidden campaign draws to a close. We've played it for two years. Meeting twice a month. I have up to 10 players any given session. They seek to stop the rise of old gods before the madness consumes them. As the "Hunter of the shadows rises" They're in for one hellofa fight. But Win, loose, or draw (like the last will ever happen) this campaign ends. We shall end it with beer and Bacon!!! Buffalo Bacon, Turkey Bacon, and any many others I came across. Of course I'll relabel them. Buffalo or Hog jowl would make interesting dragon jerky. All campaigns should end with a party and reminiscent of the campaign. I'm trying to talk a friend into being a bard for the night and helping me write a song of the their exploits. This campaign has been 4e. That being said it has high points and low points. DnD next is on the horizon. I think my next campaign already well into the making is going to be much different. The players Will have new characters starting at lvl 1. They can be any base class or race. Nothing exotic. This is their Heroic Champion. These Characters will be brought from there respected worlds to the world of Tuterra. By the sage Melora. She requests the characters to fight the Empire. The Empire is ruled by a human female Wizard know as Delladonna the Archmage Queen. She has been in power of 3/4 the globe for longer then the oldest dragon can remember. Since her rule most of the human population has been tainted with evil and greed. (So humans are the model of the drow). But they're not the only race to shift.......

So the players will set out on adventure to gather assets to take back the planet. This is where my campaign starts to get unique. Each character starts of with two character slots. One is their Heroic Champion. The other can be made from any asset reward they unlock. If they can convince the dragonborn to join them. They can now make a second character with the new unlocked races, classes, prestige classes, ect. They can take 1 character out at a time. That leaves other characters in town to manage the war assets. I dish out RP reward points with xp. These can be used for buying more character slots (up to 6 at the moment) as well as other stuff. Weapon bonuses, Skills, Rare items and the like. But that's not all the war assets do. on a separate table will set a world map. Laid out like risk or something. This map will reflect the progress of their armies vs the empire. So they can literally see what lands they take or loose. (Still working on what system wanna use for these battles)

This is all just a tip of the iceberg. I have up to character lvl 4-5 done and a nice start of reward tables. Other ideas working into my game in cliff note version

-reputation with races. quests and favors increase or decrease
-nat 20 nat 1 temp bonus or penalties
-The only common magic is wands, scrolls, and potions. Everything else is rare and has its own back story
-Skill and special move training. (This would take a blog of its own lol)
- Achievements and Titles. These can unlock rewards as well

I've dm for over 25 years now. I've had hundreds of campaigns. This one feels so unique and epic. I really look forward to it. feels like a master piece in the making. Please tell me your thoughts and share your ideas. My players aren't part of the community at this time so I can talk about sensitive info here.

Does anyone have battle sys. suggestions on  running armie vs armie style battles
Does anyone have battle sys. suggestions on  running armie vs armie style battles

I'd go one of two ways.
1- Enemies just arbitrarily die depending on what is most dramatic.

2- Treat groups of enemies as a single enemy. That archer squad of 10 guys battling another archer squad of 9 guys? Use stats for a single archer of that level and let them fight one another. For the one that lives, look at Remaining HP/Max HP. This percantage of their units survived the fight.

For both focus the battle on the actual PCs. Have enemy generals and other elite units battle the PCs while minions fight the PCs allies. Treat these as normal encounters.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

I'd go one of two ways.
1- Enemies just arbitrarily die depending on what is most dramatic.

2- Treat groups of enemies as a single enemy. That archer squad of 10 guys battling another archer squad of 9 guys? Use stats for a single archer of that level and let them fight one another. For the one that lives, look at Remaining HP/Max HP. This percantage of their units survived the fight.

For both focus the battle on the actual PCs. Have enemy generals and other elite units battle the PCs while minions fight the PCs allies. Treat these as normal encounters.

Interesting idea and thanks for the input. The battle board will probably work as a game inside the game. Since the Players have Character slots they can make generals to run the war (or do it themselves while they continue to gather resources). I was thinking as they gather new recruits they could place them on the battle board something similar to Risk. I haven't tried it yet but I was thinking of looking into Conquest of Nerath board game to see how they run combat for groups