U/R Counterburn

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been having trouble with this deck. The checklist I have now isn't even worth posting. All I know is 4 snapcaster mage 4 Delver of secrets, 4 mana leak, 2-3 grim lavamancer, and 4 ponder are 100% in the deck. Other than that Im not sure what burn to run. I have 2 bonfire of the damned that are almost 100% in. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.
That should say decklist, stupid auto-correct
Not enough counter magic to be worthwhile. Not enough burn to be worthwhile. Delver will flip which is good, but too much anti-delver tech post board to really make it matter.

I say this deck is dead

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Well I don't think that's true. Some advice other than "this deck is dead" would be nice.
I played with the idea of counter burn delver and it simply didn't do well. However, here are some cards to consider.

Pillar of Flame this is a great 2 damage, although sorcery speed, it takes care of many small dudes that get effects when dieing or things like Gravecrawler,]Chandra's Pheonix

Incinerate 3 damage, easy choice

Thundererous Wrath I ran this as a 3 of,using Noxious Revival to reset the use.

Counters are mainly

Mana Leak no reason not to.

Dissipate if your going counter route.

Then it depends how blue or how red you want to go, because mine was much more red i also ran shrine of burning rage, slagstorm.

I didn't use bonfire of the damned due to if you dont miracle into it the high cost, the red blue needs to be face and be able to race for the win.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
UR Control
Sorry mate, I was a touch drunk when I wrote that. Didn't mean to leave it so open ended.

There are a few reasons this deck type worked so well in Ravnica block but not since, and def not in the current format.
1. Access to cheap counter magic is limited. You only have 2 that cost 2 or less, mana leak and mental misstep. Leak is great, but misstep past turn 1 is usually garbage-it doesn't even have the decency to be a force spike and make you pay one more. So with really only 1 counterspell type, your "counter" part is out.
2. Access to expensive countermagic that is worthwhile is non-existent. I'm talking cryptic command here. Nothing to really break open an opponent
3. Access to burn is limited. You have shock and incinerate. Pretty much that's it. Shrine of rage can't help much cuz you aren't solid red. Adding in the rest of the RDW package gets in the way of your blue theme, and might as well push you out of blue and totally into RDW
4. Lack of access to effective attacker in your colors. You've got delver+equipment, but as soon as you do that, you may as well go white for GoST and that host of options. Now blue helps you and red doesn't! You don't have access to a kiln fiend or wee dragonauts or a gelectrode to help you out. charmbreaker devils would fit the bill...but then again for 6 mana I'd rather have an inferno titan, wouldn't you? Now if he was even 4 mana it might be doable, but not 6.

So there, that's what I should have said the first time. I assume you want a deck that can win at FNM, or you woulda posted in casual rather than the tournament section.
If you really want to play this, I can suggest cards-but I'm not gonna tell you it will become a great deck by any means.

Thanks guys. Its all good man. No harm no foul.
What do you think about a burning vengeance sort of route? I had someone give me that idea. There's also that enchantment that makes you draw a card when you play a card from your discard. Can't remember what its called though.
secrets of the dead

Too slow to be good.

I run U/r Control, it is sort of viable with 4 Ghost Quarter Main to handle Cavern.

I'm currentliy testing it and I want to give it a shot at a PTQ this weekend.
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
Chandra's Phoenix is a must for this archetype. Here's a link to my CounterBurn list that has been goldfishing well. I can't afford the Snapcasters that are necessary for the archetype however, so I have not put this together in paper Magic.

Link:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-counterburn-3...
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
Chandra's Phoenix is a must for this archetype. Here's a link to my CounterBurn list that has been goldfishing well. I can't afford the Snapcasters that are necessary for the archetype however, so I have not put this together in paper Magic.

Link:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-counterburn-3...

This isn't counterburn, this is a bad Delver list.

I tried REAL control with Phoenixes, and they suck. Snapcasters aren't necessary for REAL control.

I think you might have mixed up Counterburn with Tempo.

EDIT: Screw that, I just read your desciption!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But nevertheless, this isn't counterburn.
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
Nevermind with this. Counterburn is just not viable. I'm making burning vengeance.
Sorry mate :/ maybe we will see some way to run it in 2013. You can bet your A it will be good in RtR!!

That's what I'm hoping for.
It's not a bad Delver deck, if compared to typical U/R Delver lists. It's been testing well, it just might look a little different from what you're used to. But if we're talking U/W Delver or the like, yeah my deck isn't going to be winning no PTQs any time soon. So this is more for FNM.

I think the archetype, similar to mine, can do okay at FNM till rotation but as soon as Phoenix, Lavamancer, and Mana Leak leave, so do any hopes of its existence until RtR.  
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
I think the archetype, similar to mine, can do okay at FNM till rotation but as soon as Phoenix, Lavamancer, and Mana Leak leave, so do any hopes of its existence until RtR.  

Not like they won't be replaced by something.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Sign In to post comments