Some people just have no idea what they are doing

92 posts / 0 new
Last post
Man some people on this game are just completely oblivious to what is going on. So I'm playing two headed giant and one of my opponents plays Sower of Temptation to steal one of my guys. I'm playing the Aura deck so this hurt because it was a pretty beefy dude. I realize I could have gotten him back by killing the Sower but neither of us had any removal and I didn't want to let it go unchecked so I just went ahead and played Pacifism on the stolen creature my next turn.

So during my opponent's next turn, one of them plays Curfew, returning Sower of Temptation to his hand and giving me back my now-useless creature.

But then on our next turn, my teammate played Grave Titan. WHY!? We know for a fact that an opponent has Sower of Temptation in his hand, so why would anybody just GIVE them a Grave Titan? Is he really that oblivious to the game that he has no idea Sower of Temptation is just going to be played to steal it? What is this kid just randomly throwing cards down? How can this game possibly be fun for him then?
Or how about the game I am in now where my teammate played a turn 2 Squadron Hawk and picked all three other copies out of his deck despite the fact he had 5 cards in his hand. This put him up to 8 cards and he had to discard. Why not just pick one copy considering playing it ALLOWS YOU TO PICK THE NEXT ONE OUT ANYWAY.
I'm not gunna lie, that's far from the worst play I've seen. Remember, DoTP is made to attract noobs.

I was in a match once against two guys who had mics. One had a Stoneforge Mystic out, and on his turn, the card tapped and...

Nothing. He had no equipment. His friend laughed at him and the guy goes, "What? What'd I do?"

Another time a guy was facestomping us with Gideon's deck, one card in particular was keeping us from attacking. Until he equiped it with a Kitesail for no reason.

While we had a Jagged-Scar Archers in play the whole time.

Another guy played Rites of Flourishing while they had an excessive amount of lands and my team mate and I were getting mana screwed.

Moral of the story: Sometimes you luck out and play against these guys. And sometimes they're on your team.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
The worst is when my 2HG teammate rage quits when we still have a viable chance to win. News to noobs: It's really fun when you come back from the brink of destruction to win the match. Have patience!
Or how about the game I am in now where my teammate played a turn 2 Squadron Hawk and picked all three other copies out of his deck despite the fact he had 5 cards in his hand. This put him up to 8 cards and he had to discard. Why not just pick one copy considering playing it ALLOWS YOU TO PICK THE NEXT ONE OUT ANYWAY.

I can fully understand that. More often than not when I picked fewer than all, I drew the next one the next turn >_> So, now I too always pick them all and just discard one, I much rather have to discard a card than to have a wasted draw.
@prog- Reminds me of the best 2HG match I ever had. We were at 1hp three separate times and still won!
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Yah alot of people are just noobs, both in skill and how they act. In 2hg my partner was just playing for himself, we were agaist realm and some other deck. We were fighting an uphill battle, our opponents had the much stronger board position but I had a massacre wurm in hand and my partner had some other big dude. A big dude, yes, but would not have won us the game.  So i wait for him to play first, opponent had cancel mana open, i assume he knew that my wurm would win us the game so he can bait out the cancel, he plays his big dude. Cancel'd, my partner quit. AI take over was on fortunately, so i play massacre wurm right after, pretty much wipe their boards and won 2 turns later. I message my partner saying that we won, his reply: "Good for you"
I must be having a bad day with teammates or something because I just had yet another game (third in a row) with a teammate that made a stupid play which cost us the game. It's a long story so I will QUICKLY summarize

We were playing against Realm and some other deck. Guy has a 3/3 Phantom Warrior beating us down to the point where we're at 14 life now. I have 2 creatures out, one that is beefy as hell with totem armor and one that is just a 1/1. My teammate has 6-7 creatures but they are all little 1/1's with flying, a Voice of All named for blue, an 0/4 wall that grants life when you block, and that one angel...forgot the name...it's a 1/5 with flying.

Now, in addition to the Phantom Warrior, they have a few 2/3's with flying, 2 Essence Warden's and Lord of the Unreal which prohibits me from using the Pacifism in my hand the last card in my teammates hand which is Faith's Fetters on anything useful. After all, they aren't able to attack with anything other than the Phantom Warrior because of our blockers.

Things are looking bad until my teammate draws Damnation. YES! Now we will easily win. So he plays....Faith's Fetters. On one of the 2/3's...you know the one's that weren't attacking?

At the end of our turn an opponent places Repulse on my guy with all the enchantments which is actually okay exept for the fact I can't play him again now because my teammate will HAVE to cast Damnation next turn so I would just be wasting him. So I have to pass.

Then we take another 3 damage from Phantom Warrior which we didn't need to take. This takes us down to 11. This is important later on. My teammate finally plays damnation but ON HIS FIRST MAIN PHASE. Maybe he should have attacked first?!

So long story short, eventually I ended up getting a 22/22 trampler on the field due to my enchantments. I knock them down to 15 life with no creatures out. But then he plays two Hellspark Elemental's. Hits for 6, we go to 5. They play Time Warp. Unearth Hellspark. Hit for 6, we die.

Now if we didn't take that extra 3 damage from Phantom Warrior, we won. It also delayed me getting my guy out by a turn so we could have won a turn earlier that way as well. Why my teammate wasted Faith's Fetters and delayed playing Damnation by a turn I'll never know. Even if he didn't know what was going on, why would he play Faith's Fetters at all when he knew he would have to destroy it the very next turn?

People who don't know what they're doing definitely shouldn't be playing Dark Heavens.
I don't remember the specifics since this happened months ago but the worst thing I ever had happen to me was when my 2HG team mate just flat out destroyed my Call to the Grave, which would have basically won us the game.  I had a ton of zombies and I don't think my partner even had any particularly good creatures to begin with, and the opponents had some dangerous creatures out as well as enchantments worth removing but no, since it was going to kill his crappy creatures, Call to the Grave had to go instead.

Obviously we ended up not managing to handle all of the opponents' beasties and lost. 
Too many people on 2HG dont play 2HG, but they play for themselves. They never support/push when the times right, and i play Realms and im really hate it when team mates flash the pause button when a guy plays a card. Ive got a cancel or repulse and im trying to keep it until the very last second and theyre flashing away like its the end of the world.

Or when people choose decks that arent going to compliment each other. AD and AM are the worst culprits. Both slow decks with big creatures, but not a lot of creatures. You cant buff AD, or very rarely, theres no removal or cancels...youre sitting ducks.  
Wow so many people complaining about "newbs" on a video game, hows about you be the bigger person and if you spot a person playing "wrong" do as I do and politely message them, "Hi m8, I see your new to Magic, would you like some pointers i have been playing for X years and am always willing to help the new guys? If you do hit me up an freind request and I will gladly help you understand what you maybe doing wrong or any other Magic issues you may have".

Secondly every player has to start somewhere and it is only natural to make play mistakes and do things "wrong" when you are trying to absorb all this information at once, although you  might be able to do this "on the fly", this doesn't mean our 2HG partner that has probably only just got "into Magic" may have times where things get lost in translation, so instead of insulting/bashing thier lack of skills, why don't you get "over yourself", ditch the ego at the door and help build a better community of players/friends.
There's a difference between being unable to cooperate or just being plain bad and being new to the game. You can't assume everyone who's bad is just new.

And besides it's not anyone's attacking specific people, just stating stuff that has happened to them. It's just a fun read, much like the "best moments of 2012" thread.
Wow so many people complaining about "newbs" on a video game, hows about you be the bigger person and if you spot a person playing "wrong" do as I do and politely message them, "Hi m8, I see your new to Magic, would you like some pointers i have been playing for X years and am always willing to help the new guys? If you do hit me up an freind request and I will gladly help you understand what you maybe doing wrong or any other Magic issues you may have".

Secondly every player has to start somewhere and it is only natural to make play mistakes and do things "wrong" when you are trying to absorb all this information at once, although you  might be able to do this "on the fly", this doesn't mean our 2HG partner that has probably only just got "into Magic" may have times where things get lost in translation, so instead of insulting/bashing thier lack of skills, why don't you get "over yourself", ditch the ego at the door and help build a better community of players/friends.

I play with full privacy settings, i cant send or receive messages because im tired of the hate mail. If a guys inexperienced, then ill flash when he plays something wrong, then flash again when he should of played the card. Ie cancelling too early.

But there is a massive difference between being inexperienced and just been dumb. Besides, theres no excuse for anybody to buy this game and jump straight online. "Everybody has to start somewhere"...that somewhere is where everybody else started, grinding out cards for decks to get a feel for the game.

Most of the time it comes down to lazyness. 90 cards+shineys+dumb = newb buying the gold edition. Ive no problem with that, but ive no interest in playing with or against those kinds of players on any game.     
So allow me to process this, you have no interest in playing a game with a player who is playing every unlock, makes dumb choices may i ask why? The reason I ask is that by not playing against these players aren't you hurting your Magic experience as it becomes narrow, you begin to assume all players are equal and every player is running the same "optimised" list, that way of thinking is wrong.

Personally I have no problem playing with/against  the guy who makes dumb choies, is playing the "best deck", or the guy playing every unlock, I see it as each player is telling me something and is offering me a new experience of Magic which I can learn from, but I guess that's me, i can detatch myself my ego as I believe in playing any opponent as I want to learn more about Magic and the new experience(s) that I can learn from playing this player.

An example of this would be when I was playing Archenemy, one of my partners playing a 75 card UG Ancient Depths deck cast Edric when I first read the card I intially dismissed it thinking "I don't want to reward people for attacking my opponents", so I dismissed the card as bad and "unplayable", when I saw it used in Archenemy I realised that the guy who was playing a 75 card UG deck was teaching me that Edric is a good card and my inital narrow assumption of the card was wrong, me dismissing the card was my own mistake by ignoring its effectiveness all together.
All I got out of this is some guy lambasting the decision-making skills of others while he's playing a deck (auramancer) where arguably the hardest decision is when to use the one pacifism in the deck. Okay.

An example of this would be when I was playing Archenemy, one of my partners playing a 75 card UG Ancient Depths deck cast Edric when I first read the card I intially dismissed it thinking "I don't want to reward people for attacking my opponents"

...Why?  They're your teammates.  Not sure I understand what your line of thinking was.

Edric really is actually not a great fit in Ancient Depths for most game modes.  Naturally, it makes sense to run it if you're going up against the archenemy, and can work in 2HG if you know for a fact your teammate is playing something with enough evasion to take advantage of it.

Man some people on this game are just completely oblivious to what is going on.

Like the guys who programmed the game? BAHAHAHAH!
For the love of God, stop with the Ancient Depths in 2HG! lol sooooo many of you out there!
@ocal- No offense, honestly, but I gotta correct you on two things. Not trying to be a grammar Nazi, they're just pet peeves.

"then flash again when he should of played the card."

It's "should have" or "should've" not "should of."

"Ie cancelling too early"

The abbreviation you're looking for here is e.g., not i.e.
Most annoying thing to happen to me wasn't done by a noob, but a player about as skilled as myself who let himself get frustrated. I had a perfect, but complicated, combo of 4 cards that would win us the game on our turn. Our turn starts, and because we look extremely weak and he hasn't added up the 2+2 in my hand, he casts Wheel of Fortune. Not only did it wipe out any chance of winning that turn, it actually let our opponents kill us before we could play anything else.

Lol, I was so mad I banned him from playing with UF, if he was playing 2hd with me, for a good 3 months.
Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.
"Not trying to be a gramma Nazi..."  but   ...["unfortunately, I just happen to be a grammar Nazi"]

...and I don't know how it is in your Reich, but the grammar Nazis I'm familiar with consider i.e. and e.g. to be abbreviations, not acronyms.

Just pet peeves you know. Herp. Derp.
Most annoying thing to happen to me wasn't done by a noob, but a player about as skilled as myself who let himself get frustrated. I had a perfect, but complicated, combo of 4 cards that would win us the game on our turn. Our turn starts, and because we look extremely weak and he hasn't added up the 2+2 in my hand, he casts Wheel of Fortune. Not only did it wipe out any chance of winning that turn, it actually let our opponents kill us before we could play anything else.

Lol, I was so mad I banned him from playing with UF, if he was playing 2hd with me, for a good 3 months.

I wouldn't of banned him or got mad (it's a game you'll live), I would of tried looking at the game from his perspective, I would asked myself "how did the game look to him?", "what possible situations could of lead to this play?", "Should of I told him not to play Wheel as I had a setup situation that would win us the game?".  By doing this, it gives us a greater appreciation of how someone approaches the game and how I can improve as a player, like I said previously in this thread that people assume players are of equal skill and that they can process things "on the fly", thankfully everyone isn't of equal skill and we can learn from every player.Cool
@mobiuschickenstrips- Way to get butthurt over a non offensive comment that wasn't even directed at you. Although you're right about abbreviation vs. acronym. Not sure why I used that word at all.
@ Mise_Mage: I did tell him not to play it. I couldn't tell him why without informing the opposition. I'm also very well aware of how he saw it, that is why I was able to explain how he saw it.Before attempting to give advice, I recommend you ensure you are familiar with all the facts. Asking questions is the best way to garner facts, not making unwarranted assumptions and ignoring information that has been presented.
So deeply, deeply hurt. That's why I mocked the guy who was mocking somebody else's poor gramma. It didn't have anything to do with me being amused by it at all.

On the topic of hurty feelings, dang V, go easy on Mise_Mage. People are so serious around here.

You wouldn't mind, maybe, elaborating on your awesome 4 card combo before it got Wheel'd away, can you? Also, really, get mics. And if you don't want to get mics, then don't be too upset when your teammate or whomever can't read your unfathomably complex mind. Dang.
*Facepalm*
Dude, how would telling my partner why he shouldn't play a card be broadcast to the opposition if I didn't have a mic?

Regarding the combo, I'd love to say, but this was 8 or so months ago. I don't even remember what deck I was playing or what decks we were facing. I may even be wrong about a guaranteed victory, it was so long ago, and memory is so unreliable after such a long period of time. But that Wheel of Fortune burned itself into my memory.
@ Mise_Mage: I did tell him not to play it. I couldn't tell him why without informing the opposition. I'm also very well aware of how he saw it, that is why I was able to explain how he saw it.Before attempting to give advice, I recommend you ensure you are familiar with all the facts. Asking questions is the best way to garner facts, not making unwarranted assumptions and ignoring information that has been presented.

Information is missing from your post, so assumptions had to be made as that is athe next logical process here is what you put, also added notes where my assumptions came from and why.

Most annoying thing to happen to me wasn't done by a noob, but a player about as skilled as myself who let himself get frustrated. I had a perfect, but complicated, combo of 4 cards that would win us the game on our turn. (You ommitted notyfying the player so I am only left with the assumption you never did) Our turn starts, and because we look extremely weak and he hasn't added up the 2+2 in my hand, (this would leave me to believe that you never sent a private message to the player) he casts Wheel of Fortune (That play confirms a lack of communictaion). Not only did it wipe out any chance of winning that turn, it actually let our opponents kill us before we could play anything else.

Before you critque others be sure to know that the reason for assumptions was because of the lack of information you posted orignally instead of thinking I have knowledge of a imperfect situation because of ommited information.
*Facepalm*
Dude, how would telling my partner why he shouldn't play a card be broadcast to the opposition if I didn't have a mic?

Regarding the combo, I'd love to say, but this was 8 or so months ago. I don't even remember what deck I was playing or what decks we were facing. I may even be wrong about a guaranteed victory, it was so long ago, and memory is so unreliable after such a long period of time. But that Wheel of Fortune burned itself into my memory.

Maybe a private messages then? I am sure that all formats have some form of private messaging? I could be mistaken I don't play on XBL or Steam so I cannot speak of a private message system if one even exists.

"Information is missing from your post, so assumptions had to be made"
More faulty logic. The correct response is that if you are missing information, and the source of information is available, you ask questions to reveal the information you desire.

You DON'T make things up and assume your genius is so extensive that you can predict any outcome and are suddenly the guru of Magic.

Kids these days...
*Facepalm*Dude, how would telling my partner why he shouldn't play a card be broadcast to the opposition if I didn't have a mic?Regarding the combo, I'd love to say, but this was 8 or so months ago. I don't even remember what deck I was playing or what decks we were facing. I may even be wrong about a guaranteed victory, it was so long ago, and memory is so unreliable after such a long period of time. But that Wheel of Fortune burned itself into my memory.

Maybe a private messages then? I am sure that all formats have some form of private messaging? I could be mistaken I don't play on XBL or Steam so I cannot speak of a private message system if one even exists.

And now more reading comprehension failure. If I didn't have time to play a card, how could I have had time to write a PM?

You dense or something?
*Facepalm*

It's a non-issue in the PC version.  You can do regular chat, where everyone in the game sees what you type, or you can do team chat, where only your teammates can see it.
"Information is missing from your post, so assumptions had to be made"
More faulty logic. The correct response is that if you are missing information, and the source of information is available, you ask questions to reveal the information you desire.

You DON'T make things up and assume your genius is so extensive that you can predict any outcome and are suddenly the guru of Magic.

Kids these days...

Ah I see how I can learn from you, thank you I shall bear that in mind in future and shall ask questions on information that was ommitted from the information in the first place, I see how I was wrong with assumptions I guess I need to ask myself to ask "if the information is ommited, why the information was ommited?"

Ah I see how I can learn from you, thank you I shall bear that in mind in future and shall ask questions on information that was ommitted from the information in the first place, I see how I was wrong with assumptions I guess I need to ask myself to ask "if the information is ommited, why the information was ommited?"

Your sarcasm is becoming.
@ocal- No offense, honestly, but I gotta correct you on two things. Not trying to be a grammar Nazi, they're just pet peeves. "then flash again when he should of played the card." It's "should have" or "should've" not "should of." "Ie cancelling too early" The abbreviation you're looking for here is e.g., not i.e.

Ide take that on board but im from Yorkshire, you dont want to know the grammar mistakes we make. The English language is a twisted distorted affair to us. But thanks for the heads up.

@mise_mage, im an easy going guy, nothing really bothers me, if people who lack skill want to play online then they can do, theyve paid for the game like everybody else.

Except i dont play with people who have 90 cards in their deck, especially when using a sub-par deck. Ive got nothing against these people i just dont want to play with them on my team, its a handicap for me, and makes a pointless match for my opponents. I like a challenge, win or lose, but dragging your corpse of a team mate while fighting off two worthy opponents becomes boring after a while.    
@Vastet: Firstly I wasn't being sarcastic but that is assumptions for you they work when information is missing, I am geniuely taking on what you said and I can see how I was wrong, I seem to have struck a nerve with you, I am sorry for offending you with my flawed logic and my flawed reasoning, I am geuinely sorry, I shall not try to think "maybe he could of done this" and accept that your partner is just a player that cost you the game.

*facepalm* *facepalm*  So why weren't you in party/private chat again?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Wow I have struck a nerve with you, I am sorry for offending you with my flawed logic and my flawed reasoning, I am geuinely sorry, I shall not try to think "maybe he could of done this" and accept that your partner is just a player that cost you the game.

So you're allowed to give advice and I'm not eh?Typical hypocrite.
Edit: I read your edit and apologise, on the belief you are genuine. I haven't changed this posts original text because I despise censorship and own up to my mistakes.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Wow I have struck a nerve with you, I am sorry for offending you with my flawed logic and my flawed reasoning, I am geuinely sorry, I shall not try to think "maybe he could of done this" and accept that your partner is just a player that cost you the game.

So you're allowed to give advice and I'm not eh?

Typical hypocrite.

For sure you can advise everyone can that is what helps us develop as a community
I failed to edit quickly enough. Please see the addendum to my previous post.

Your sarcasm is becoming.

Calm.
Down.
Its.
Only.
The.
Internet.
Sign In to post comments