looking for advice: creating cards duh :D

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a few questions on how to effectively create cards/card concepts.

Obviously there are a lot of things to keep in mind, such as flavor, power balance, and actual design.
Keeping this in mind, i was just curious as to how exactly one balances this well. I find that flavor is the most difficult for me to adhear to. It becomes especially so in determining what exactly a good mechanic is for a specific card when trying to keep in mind the flavors and concepts of a certain color/color combination.

That being said, my example the problem i'm having is for my play group for commander. I want to play Blue/Green, possibly with Red in it. Can anyone help me to determine a reasonably unique legendary creature?
I'd like to to be cheap. I was thinking similar to Mystic Snake in the color combination for the cost but i like the concept in the simic colors that momir gives (having options). Graft on the other hand, i'm not too fond of out of the simic guild.
Finally Combo, but not too combo? I guess being new to YMtC is what makes this difficult since i'd just want to be like,

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary for !?
You should visit the You Make the Card forum (it's about three forums down from here).  We're a pretty cool bunch who would love to help you with that down there.

Edit:  Wait, I could have sworn I was in Magic General like three seconds ago....

Edit Edit: Anyway, a good place to start is trying to figure out what you want the card to do.  Then maybe look at how the colors function to see if the colors you want fit the idea.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

When you say "what i want the card to do" do you mean her actual abilities?

I'd prefer it be activated, netting card advantage for his presence.

I need a solid mechanic that can put a +1/+1 counter on her for every two creatures i play(not necessarily in a single turn).
That could then turn into drawing a card by removing a counter and tapping her.

This leads to the concept of graft - which i said i didn't like so much, but i'm leaning towards it in order to generate the concept i do want - which are the +1/+1 counters i put on her.
Then on the other side we have the card advantage. We draw (blue) technically speaking, based on her power (green generally) except it's incremental.

I'm obviously still in the technical idea making process but tell me what you think, and if there's a card out there that already does this because it seems like there would be......

EDIT: it is a she!

EDIT: EDIT: just wanted to edit because you edited :D
You might also like Animar, Soul of Elements.
Well I have both an Animar, Soul of Elements and a Momir Vig, Simic Visionary EDH Deck. The purpose wasn't really for me to find a new general that already exists. Rather it was to create my own, as well as understand what goes into actually creating a card.

Something like:

Plaelis, the Abnormal

Creature - Mutant Wizard
Whenever a creature comes into play under your control
put a Lore counter on Plaelis.
, remove two Lore counters from Plaelis: draw a
card or put a +1/+1 counter on Plaelis.

"Only through Alchemical Study can one
attain true faculty - to tap into the Aether's
Energy is to tap an unlimited power."

2/2

?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
He sounds awesome. glad you could mesh the mechanics together better than I could haha!

basically, I'm trying to challenge my play-group to make their own commanders, granted we need a power balance involved, which would be this forum's most creative minds as well as our own monitoring.

With that in mind, do you know whether a thread exists here that has a bunch of either legendary creatures in general or commanders being created? Obviously going to try to adhear to my own ideas and playstyles instead of taking other's but it's nice to get a general consensus on the power flux of any given card I make.
Plaelis, the Abnormal

I'm very against having a creature that goes out of its way to put more that one kind of counter on itself.  It causes memory issues.

With that in mind, do you know whether a thread exists here that has a bunch of either legendary creatures in general or commanders being created? Obviously going to try to adhear to my own ideas and playstyles instead of taking other's but it's nice to get a general consensus on the power flux of any given card I make.

Normally, I'd say "just make a thread about it", but you already have sorta.  Just make this thread into a thread about making three-color commanders and see what people bring to the table.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

i have to agree with the multiple types of counters but the problem is that it becomes difficult to make the mechanic work that way. I talked with my friends and we came up with:

Whenever a creature comes into play under your control, put a lore counter on ~.

Remove a lore counter from ~: Draw a card. If this is the second time this ability has resolved this turn, remove all lore counters from ~ and tap her.

Gramatically speaking in terms of rules wording, would the last phrase "tap her" be correct?
You would just say "tap [NAME]."

As for making the card, I'd choose a single goal for the card to have, figure out how many ways a card could achieve that goal, then try designing from there. For example, the thing I like most about as a combination of colors is their love of aethering; that is, putting creatures into play from hands (and sometimes libraries). This sounds like a fun idea for a commander. Cards I like that have done this in the past include Show and Tell, Green Sun's Zenith, Proteus Staff, Through the Breach, Dragonstorm... and I'll stop there. Apparently what I like most are cards that have potential to do absurd things with aether ability, so that's my focus for my legend.

As for its flavor, I've always enjoyed cards like Elvish Piper to describe what is occuring. I think I'll go with that.

Kimo, Earthen Howler
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Trample
Whenever Kimo, Earthen Howler deals combat damage to an opponent, you may put a creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your hand onto the battlefield, where X is the damage Kimo, Earthen Howler dealt to that opponent.
6/3
Cards and counters, you say?  sounds like 's wedge of the pie.

Spurinna, Chief Haruspex
Legendary Creature -- Human Wizard
Graft 1
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
, Sacrifice a creature: Draw cards equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on the sacrificed creature.
1/1

This might need balancing, but the idea is there.
I find that flavor is the most difficult for me to adhear to. It becomes especially so in determining what exactly a good mechanic is for a specific card when trying to keep in mind the flavors and concepts of a certain color/color combination.

You wouldn't have to worry about names or flavour text so much as long as the card has a strong concept behind it. For example, Ghave, Guru of Spores has a good few lines in its text box but really all it says is "you can swap creatures for +1/+1 counters and vice versa". Kaalia of the Vast is even better because it's just "DROP BIG MEATY FLIERS ON YOUR OPPONENT'S FACE ERRYDAY". Try to imagine the kind of magic that would do and think of the cleanest possible implementation of such. It can be as simple or as fancy as you like as long as it makes sense as a whole.
Sign In to post comments