One 4e Book

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to being buying a 4e book and I'm not sure which one to buy (yay for gift cards!).

So far what I have is PHB 2, MM 2, and Essentials (Core Rules, HotFL, HotFK). My friend has the DMG's though we tend to just use the Essentials Core Rules for most stuff.

What books would be considered "Must need"?

I'm looking at this as a DM mostly so I was wondering about Monster's Vault or Monster Manual 3.

Are there any other books I should consider and of the two which one is the more useful/better book?

Thanks
If it was me I would definately go with the Monster Vault. I find I use it the most out of all the monster books published as it has nicely updated a lot of the core monsters to the new damage expressions, And the tokens and adventure are just icing on the cake
If it was me I would definately go with the Monster Vault.

Seconded.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Monsters Vault would be my first choice.

Unless there is a setting book like Eberron or Dark Sun that you might want for a campaign.
Monsters Vault would be my first choice.

Unless there is a setting book like Eberron or Dark Sun that you might want for a campaign.

same, but depending on what level you are i might go out on a limb and say 'gardmore abbey baby'
Monster Vault is wonderful, but I wonder if Threats to the Nentir vale might be fun for you as well?  That is the "more specific" Monster Vault with the named creatures and monsters that your players may not be expecting.

:D
monster vault dominates threats to the vale in every way, from monster level range, to being an actual box, to having an adventure packaged in, etc etc

monster vault dominates threats to the vale in every way, from monster level range, to being an actual box, to having an adventure packaged in, etc etc

The list of ways Monster Vault dominates Nentir Vale includes price! MV vs NV at Amazon
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Adventurer's Vault. Get the treasures!
PHB 3 and Adventurer's Vault looks like my next two that I grab. I looked into them and really like what I see, my players will love the goodies from AV

Thanks everyone!
Sign In to post comments