How do prizes at your FNM work?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently moved and decided I wanted to play some paper magic. So I found a FNM spot not too far and have played in a couple drafts there. I'm a bit puzzled at how the prizes work though. The store opens the boosters, but not in front of the players. They then put the rare on top and the first place player gets first pick, then so on. They also do this for the constructed tournament. Someone at the store decides which boosters are for the limited draft, and which ones are for the constructed tournament.

My problem is them opening the boosters away from the players. I don't think they are stealing the money cards or doing anything sinister like that. I just have a problem with them deciding which ones are for limited and which are for constructed. I think they should separate the boosters to either or before they are opened.

Yes, I lost out on a chance for Bonfire due to it being decided it should go to the constructed tournament, hence my complaining :P.

How do other shops deal with prizes? Are there any rules regarding this?
For our store, the FNM cards get handed out to the first and second place finishers and two more FMN cards get handed out to two random players.  Then we usually get our pick of some more older Promo cards that the owner has from buying up collections or just left over from past tournaments and some booster packs or deck boxes/sleeves. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I do standard constructed for FNM, and our top 2 get the FNM promo, and I know there is at least one random promo given out  (might be 2, not sure).

Entry is $5 per person, and we usually end up splitting top 4.  Since prizes are store credit, top 4 will each get 1/4 of the total entry fees.  We usually get 30-40 players, so each person normally earns around ~$43-$44 for top 4-ing.
As far as I am aware, any store running a Wizards sanctioned event is bound by the following rules:

Best 2 out of 3 matches
Players receive a single pack per match win
Two promo cards are reserved for the first and second place players
The other two are given to two random players

Stores can do whatever they want beyond that, but I believe that is the minimum.

(NOTE: Actually, it looks like the single pack/match win isn't offical based on this, but if your store is doing less prize support than that, I recommend finding another store.)
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
That sounds pretty **** and shifty, puonu. If you have the option to, I'd probably find a different store. I can honestly say I have never seen anyone open a pack before yet leave the pack as a prize whole.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
I have never heard of a store offering a single pack per match win to a player.  If the stores I have been at give prizes in the form of packs it is usually done out to the top 3-4 depending on turn out.

My store has a store credit prize system that is $20 to first/$10 to second/$5 each to the 2-1s who aren't second.

As to your store's method for dispensing prizes Puono it is probably the craziest damn thing I have ever heard of in my life and I would never play there again.  It sounds very suspect and is just plain weird.
I can honestly say I have never seen anyone open a pack before yet leave the pack as a prize whole.

Well, I can see the store opening the prize packs and then sending the money-rare packs to the tournament that they want to push more (ie Constructed vs. Draft).  I mean, yeah it's shady as hell and a pretty **** thing to do, but I can see the poor and misguided reasoning behind it.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I just have a problem with them deciding which ones are for limited and which are for constructed. I think they should separate the boosters to either or before they are opened.

Agreed 100%.

My (not so Friendly)LGS gives out Prize Credit vouchers for FNM and other constructed tournaments. There are special Terms & Conditions that we must agree to in order to enter, but we arent allowed to read them, or know what they are. The owner decides on the fly how the prize pool will be split (after he has a good idea of how everyone is doing in the tournament), so we dont even know if there will be prizes for top 4, top 3 or just top 2 until we win them (and so have no way of knowing if how individual players were doing affected the decision of how many players would win a share of the pool). We arent allowed to ask for a standardised prize breakdown. The Prize Credit cant be used to enter more tournaments, or to pay towards deposits on pre-orders, and it lasts for less and less time each month - it basically gets harder to use every time the store owner thinks of a new way to make it harder to use.     
Asking for transparency in the tournament and prize policies gets you banned. But please dont think for a moment that means the TO has anything to hide, because that would be silly, right?

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
My local store adds $100 worth of packs to the prize pool.  We typically have between 25-40 people.  The people that go 5-0 usually get between 4-8 packs.  and then trickels down from there.  if you finish less than 3-2 we get what I like to call a pity pack.  They also put a random promo from previous events on random stacks.  Not to shabby.
There are 2 Shops that I've been to, the 1st sadly closed down, it was the best and did FNM like this:

It was £3 entry to Standard Constructed. The prize support was 5 Boosters for 1st place, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 1 for everyone else. The 4 FNM Promo's went to 1st, 2nd and 2 random people. It was awesome because even if you came dead last you'd still got a Booster and 4 rounds of playing Magic.

At the second shop they do free entry to 3 rounds of playing with no prize support except the FNM Promo's which also go to 1st, 2nd and 2 randoms. The owners sometimes give out old Promo's from their huge back-collection. It's a bit bad because there is no incentive to stay a lot of people drop out after the 1st round. I've had a bye for the second round 3 times and seen as I go there to play games it sucks when I have to sit a round out...

The second shop also does a Draft with FNM Promo's but it's a 'Rare Re-Draft' with no Booster prize support and it costs what I would expect to pay for a Draft with prizes, so I don't bother going to that. 
There are simply a lot of greedy, horse**** people in the world, and unfortunately, some of them decide to own, manage, or run events at a comics/games store.
The store I run Magic at, FNM Standard is $6. Draft is $15. Prizes are roughly 1 and 1/2 packs per person (based on the classic Booster Draft prize pool, ie. a Booster Box is 36 packs, 8 players in a pod use 24 packs, 12 packs left over, 1st gets 8, 2nd gets 4.)
For example, tonight there were 10 people for Draft, I threw in 2 extra packs. Prizes were 8/4/1/1. This is always in addition to promo cards. FNMs go to 1st/2nd and 2 randoms plus everyone gets a Game Day/Prerelease/Play Network promo. I always give out as many Game Day/Prerelease/Release promos as there are players at those events as well. I have never (NEVER!) opened a prize pack. That is ridiculous and absolute BS. Having played at multiple stores in the Greater Cincinnati area, old-style regional preleases, GPs, and Starcity opens, I have never seen anything like that happen. I can't even begin to fathom it.
My store does the promo foils in the required way, then has a pool of boosters based on number of people ($5 entry), which is divided in ways I'm not positive of.  You have to be at least in the top half to get anything, but if you top 4, you get a pretty nice stack of boosters.
The FNM I run has 5 dollar entry. Every player gets one booster in round one or two when I hand out the match slips. Typically 5-0 gets about 12 to 15 packs. We also have free snacks. Pretzels, chips, and sometimes vegies with dip.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
The store I go to does like 2 packs of prize support per head (I think). Then its usually distributed between 1st 2nd and 3rd accordingly. If we get like 20 people then its usually top 4 who get packs.
Thanks for the replies! To clarify some things, I am in Australia. And since moving here, one thing has become very evident. Australians get ripped off in almost everything they buy. So I don't expect the same prize support you guys are mentioning, but I do expect the boosters to remain sealed. I starting to think this might be an Australian thing, so far I have gone to two stores, and both of them opened the packs and put the rares face up on top of the packs for the people to choose from. As far as getting multiple packs, lol, I don't see that happening. I almost had a heart attack when I saw booster boxes going for $155 minimum, and boosters selling for $6 a piece. Not sure why this side of the pacific is getting so ripped off, but it looks like a fact of life.
Thanks for the replies! To clarify some things, I am in Australia. And since moving here, one thing has become very evident. Australians get ripped off in almost everything they buy. So I don't expect the same prize support you guys are mentioning, but I do expect the boosters to remain sealed. I starting to think this might be an Australian thing, so far I have gone to two stores, and both of them opened the packs and put the rares face up on top of the packs for the people to choose from. As far as getting multiple packs, lol, I don't see that happening. I almost had a heart attack when I saw booster boxes going for $155 minimum, and boosters selling for $6 a piece. Not sure why this side of the pacific is getting so ripped off, but it looks like a fact of life.

It's because... well, the dollar is weaker but almost as valuable (the purchasing power vs exchange rate is all screwy), which - reguardless of it's starting reasons - creates a circular logic pool of doom and self-sustenance. Think of it as being the hallmark of being at the "tail end" of the first world commonwealth countries. It could be worse, there are commonwealth countries that get hosed a lot worse, and the former french colonies have even worse issues.

Warhammer 40k... screw Aussies even worse. Things got so bad that pretty much everyone stopped buying from retailers and just went online, which sparked GW twisting the arms of the online folks and preventing them from shipping there. It's rediculous. "Only" getting screwed because the money thing is all wonky is... Wizards being wonderful people, bizarly.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
The FNM at one of my local stores was not too much to my liking.  They ran a booster draft, and it was also a re-draft tournament, meaning all rares, mythics and foil cards had to be turned in at the end of the tournament.  Top seeded player then got to re-draft from the rares at the end and keep them, everone else drafted in the order they placed at the end.

Prizes were 5 booster packs to the winner.  Everyone who participated also got 2 packs.  Seemed a little cheeze to me, I thought they should have kicked in a better prize for first place, walking out with redrafted rares, and 7 boosters seems a bit thin.
141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.
Top 8 players get packs.

The non top 8 players get to pull numbers for their pick of a rare card from a selection of cards the shop owner gives out.
Our FNM events typically average 10-20 people, so we don't bother with a Top 8 (my store runs lots of separate MtG events throughout the week, e.g. "New player draft" with repacks or Thursday Standard, or a Sealed League; people attend those instead of FNM).

Draft is always on for FNM, though we do occasionally do atypical formats like "Pick Your Packs" (choose any three boosters the store has), or Innistrad Block (AVR, DKA, INN).

It's normally only $15 to play (i.e. paying $5 each for the packs), but with no additional prize support. Sometimes if everyone wants prizes/it's big enough, we'll pay $20.

After the draft, we collect all the rares, foils, and mythics, plus the FNM Promo foils for the week and lay them out on a table.

First place picks a rare/mythic (including a foil Rare/Mythic), and a foil nonrare/nonmythic (including FNM foil).
Second place picks a rare/mythic or foil.
Third place picks a rare/mythic or foil.

And so on. Whatever the last card left is (normally the last foil card), the 1st Place player signs it, edits the art, scribbles or draws on it, etc. and it's added to a sleeve of "Winner's Foils" on the wall for posterity.

I actually think that rare redrafting is good for the game, expecially without prize support. It keeps the incentive structure so that skilled players are rewarded, and it removes any incentive for people to "raredraft" or "moneydraft", simply taking the expensive cards and then punting the draft because they have all the good prizes already. It keeps people invested in the actual draft so that we can have a more competitive game.

It's because... well, the dollar is weaker but almost as valuable (the purchasing power vs exchange rate is all screwy), which - reguardless of it's starting reasons - creates a circular logic pool of doom and self-sustenance. Think of it as being the hallmark of being at the "tail end" of the first world commonwealth countries. It could be worse, there are commonwealth countries that get hosed a lot worse, and the former french colonies have even worse issues.

Warhammer 40k... screw Aussies even worse. Things got so bad that pretty much everyone stopped buying from retailers and just went online, which sparked GW twisting the arms of the online folks and preventing them from shipping there. It's rediculous. "Only" getting screwed because the money thing is all wonky is... Wizards being wonderful people, bizarly.

No, it's not because of the dollar (well, not recently); for the last year or more the Australian dollar has been sitting at near-parity or above. It's not a currency issue.

No, what it is is that Australia historically has been a remote market, and that means anything protected by Intellectual Property law carried a high shipping and distribution cost. Back then, the currency issue was also relevant since the AUD was roughly 50 US cents. In order to keep things profitable, copyright and other IP-owners charged a higher markup to recoup their additional costs (also relevant: we tax at higher rates than many parts of the world, and our real estate market hasn't been well managed so brick-and-mortar-stores pay high rental).

Even though shipping and distribution costs have dropped substantially as the world has globalised, retailers and the wholesaler (Hasbro) know they can keep charging the markup prices and have people buy them. If anything, though, the fact that the cost isn't even higher shows how egalitarian Wizards has been about it. Books and movies we pay nearly double the USA and UK (even after calibrating for currency values) - and the Copyright Act forbids any retailers from importing cheaper books from overseas when there is a monopoly license given to one domestic publisher.

Even ebooks and online games, where there is literally no difference in distribution costs between Australia and the rest of the world, we get charged a profiteering market by people like Amazon just because they know we can't do anything about it.

Draft is always on for FNM, though we do occasionally do atypical formats like "Pick Your Packs" (choose any three boosters the store has), or Innistrad Block (AVR, DKA, INN).

After the draft, we collect all the rares, foils, and mythics, plus the FNM Promo foils for the week and lay them out on a table.

First place picks a rare/mythic (including a foil Rare/Mythic), and a foil nonrare/nonmythic (including FNM foil).

And so on. Whatever the last card left is (normally the last foil card), the 1st Place player signs it, edits the art, scribbles or draws on it, etc. and it's added to a sleeve of "Winner's Foils" on the wall for posterity.

I don't like this format at my store.  I think it encourages players to hide cards.  If you draft a plainswalker or set mythic, it's almost better for you to pocket the card and say nothing (not use it in tournament) which I suspect has happened.  I've never seen a PW come up during FNM when we play with the new set boosters.  Personally, I see why this happens as the PW is more valuable to most players than 5 booster packs contents.

Also, I've played sealed deck +2 booster tournaments where you keep what you draft, those formats were far more fun as no one could cobble together a specific powerful deck.
141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.

I don't like this format at my store.  I think it encourages players to hide cards.  If you draft a plainswalker or set mythic, it's almost better for you to pocket the card and say nothing (not use it in tournament) which I suspect has happened.  I've never seen a PW come up during FNM when we play with the new set boosters.  Personally, I see why this happens as the PW is more valuable to most players than 5 booster packs contents.

Also, I've played sealed deck +2 booster tournaments where you keep what you draft, those formats were far more fun as no one could cobble together a specific powerful deck.

You have a fixed number of boosters, so we know how many rares and mythics there are, and therefore when somebody is holding one back. The only way one can go missing is if it was foil, because then it doesn't take a countable slot. So hiding cards doesn't work.

It's not feasible for larger numbers of people anyway because the redraft takes longer than the actual draft at the end, and that's when you're more likely to get away with a pocketed foil rare/mythic. For smaller groups, it works fine and the honour system keeps it balanced.

It also depends on how good the card you got was. Is it worth taking a foil Tibalt when playing and winning could get you a non-foil Tamiyo or Cavern of Souls or Restoration Angel? 

All 4 promo's? I think it's disallowed not to hand out 2 at random?
I have never heard of such a weird system before.  I suppose playing magic outside of the United States is pretty sucky because of prices.

My local store is pretty awesome and fair with its prize distribution.  During a regular FNM, the majority of the time we have over 40 people and 6 rounds with store credit being given to the top 8 in the standings.  They don't bother with a cut to top 8 because with so many people and rounds, it would just go too late in the night.  Anyways, if I recall correctly, each $5 entry fee corresponds to $5 in prize support to the top 8, with the most being given to first, then second, then third/fourth, and then fifth through eighth (no shocking revelation there).  In addition to that, everyone receives a free booster pack just for playing.  So yeah, this store is awesome and pretty much the exact opposite of greedy.  The last three weeks I fell out of contention for the top 8 midway through the tournament and dropped out, but in those weeks I opened Cavern of Souls, Bonfire of the Damned, and Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded.  Avacyn Restored sure seems to like me, though I'd kind of like to win store credit via winning.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
@toby: No, just the prize ones. We still have the random door prize, but I don't consider that prize support. :P

If we have leftover FNM foils from the previous months, sometimes they throw those in though, to try and get rid of them.
Is it bad that at the place I used to go, I went 4-0 and didn't get a prize because I kept getting paired with n00bs who had just bought an event deck?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Just not a fan of the FNM booster redraft format.  I find it goes on way too long (starts at 6:00pm, and you generally don't get out of there until 9 or 10).  I much prefer sealed deck or a set release tourney.
141434757 wrote:
[Hiding boosters discussion]

Well, you are required to produce 3 rares/mythics worth of cards. The sort of person willing to pilfer a mythic from a redraft in the first place is likely to see nothing wrong with substituting in a slightly less valuable card from his or her collection.

[Hiding boosters discussion]

Well, you are required to produce 3 rares/mythics worth of cards. The sort of person willing to pilfer a mythic from a redraft in the first place is likely to see nothing wrong with substituting in a slightly less valuable card from his or her collection.

Exactly.  I feel there are a lot of players in these redrafts who are pocketing cards, as the mythics I've seen are always low end, I've never seen a top box rare of PW come up in a redraft.  Odds are pretty good they're never hitting the board and someone is sneaking them away to their stache, or substituting better cards. 

I much prefer tournaments where you keep what you draft, no shenanigans, no one can mess with your cards.  Yes there might be more 'luck' in these required to win, but at least you know everything is above board.

141434757 wrote:
I much prefer tournaments where you keep what you draft, no shenanigans, no one can mess with your cards.  Yes there might be more 'luck' in these required to win, but at least you know everything is above board.

Isnt the sort of person who would sneak an expensive mythic out of his pool (instead of using it in the tournament) the same sort of person that would sneak a Limited bomb into his pool to try to help himself more packs anyway?

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:

Isnt the sort of person who would sneak an expensive mythic out of his pool (instead of using it in the tournament) the same sort of person that would sneak a Limited bomb into his pool to try to help himself more packs anyway?

~ Tim 

Not necessarily. I mean, we're discussing a hypothetical person, so in theory we can reduce his morality all the way to drowning puppies and dropkicking babies, but as I figure it the 'logical' though is: "Rare drafting is cheating me out of my money so by swapping out these cards I'm just avoiding being cheated out of my fairly earned card." The same person may find introducing limited bombs as being outright cheating as opposed to merely avoiding being cheated by another.
My LGS has no entry fees (and no prize support other than the usual promos, distributed in the normal top-2 random-2 fashion) for most Constructed FNM's, $10 drafts where you keep what you get (also no extra prize support), and once-a-month $5 Constructed tournaments where the fees are turned into gift cards to be split among the top X players.

It's a great system, because it just lets people come in and play some Magic without worrying about winning too much.
Rules Nut Advisor
..."Rare drafting is cheating me out of my money so by swapping out these cards I'm just avoiding being cheated out of my fairly earned card." The same person may find introducing limited bombs as being outright cheating as opposed to merely avoiding being cheated by another.

I suppose. But at the end of the day, as long as the Re-draft (not "Rare draft", as that means something else entirely, AFAIK) isnt being sprung on anyone, then they shouldnt feel cheated, since they agreed to it before they entered the tournament.

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Sign In to post comments