Captain of Fortune 'Know Your Strength"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

Tried a Search for this but no one seems to have addressed it yet, so...

Captain of Fortune (Warlord Paragon path) feature Know Your Strength: When rolling damage dice for a weapon attack, you treat a roll of 1 or 2 as a roll of 3.

Question: When rolling damage for weapon attack using a 2dx weapon, such as a great-club, maul, glaive, heavy flail, etc., on rolls of 1 or 2, does each die get upgraded to a 3, or only the end result?

Example: Two dice of weapon damage come up with a 1 and a 2 (so, 3 total). Does nothing happen (since the result is higher than 1 or 2), or do they both upgrade to  they upgrade to 3s (so, 6 total)? I've seen several online 'unofficial' answers say both dice get upgraded, but I'd like an 'official' answer. Thanks!
Every die that comes up as a one or two is a three. This is because the power states when rolling damage dice not when rolling damage.
What's really good about this is that is would apply to *any* damage dice.  Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse, critical hit bonus damage, etc.

So, the more damage dice you roll, the better your minimum damage becomes.

Also, you can accomplish this before paragon with a Devastating Ki Focus, which does the same thing with any implement or melee attack.
What's really good about this is that is would apply to *any* damage dice.  Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse, critical hit bonus damage, etc.

I don't think that's it's intended usage, since the power text specifically refers to weapon damage, no? Still comes in handy for those 2[W] and 3[W] damage powers though, but upping *everything* seems... grossly broken?

I don't think that's it's intended usage, since the power text specifically refers to weapon damage, no? Still comes in handy for those 2[W] and 3[W] damage powers though, but upping *everything* seems... grossly broken?

Nah, not really broken.  Strong, yes, but not that strong.  The text is quite clear on what it does, and there are several other similar effects, like the aforementioned Devastating Ki Focus.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Nope.  "... when rolling damage for a weapon attack..." is not the same as "weapon damage".  Any damage dealt with a weapon attack has its minimum value increased to 3.  Power Strike, Backstab, etc. would also get increased.

If the attack is an implement attack or something like a power that doesn't have the weapon keyword (like Dragonbreath or some of the Fighter's shield attacks) those *won't* get the minimum of 3.
Sign In to post comments