Which specific pictures do you want to see in 5E books (No philosphical discussion please)

Please post the images that you would like to see in the 5E books. Use the sblock tags to enclose them by typing 'sblock' then putting brackets around it. Then link in your picture by hitting the picture button then put another sblock tag after the picture, but this time put a "/" in front of the 's' in sblock.

Let's keep this thread free of the philosophical discussion of what is right and wrong, women's rights, what is offensive and what is not so we don't get this thread locked like the other one.

Please feel free to report the above posts as off-topic to help keep this thread from getting closed...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
You want a thread of pictures...without any explanations as to why those pictures? How, precisely, is that going to help the devs get any idea about what people want in DDN's art? And shouldn't this be in the 'DDN Art & Story' sub-forum?
It should be, yup.
Why would I want a picture in the books that already exists?
I love you guys.

Because it cheaper for them to re-use art and you know they are going to, so throw some pictures up you like so they know which ones they should re-use...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I'll bite.
The one with the hippie looking cleric/druid girl healing the wounded warrior while a giant walks away in the background.
I love everything about that picture. One of the few peices of D&D art I'm not completely embarrassed about liking. It tells a nice story, looks nice and has a fun take on the way a healer might look.
EDIT here it is:
25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1mhc1N2lj1ql...
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
Here are some.

Mostly just to reflect a series of pictures I like in a variety of styles.  They also reflect my desire to have some of the art move away from classic D&D themes and styles, not that tradition is bad, but a good mix would be very cool.

The Pics are behind the tag:
A really cool Diva.
A Frog Riding Warrior.
A nicely rendered armored centaur.
One very fascinating Deity and/or Villain.
An anime-ish naga.
An orc Shaman.
A Dark, almost goth warrior.
A Tribal Shaman, druid or mage.
An African warrior with companion.

Show

Here are some.

Mostly just to reflect a series of pictures I like in a variety of styles.  They also reflect my desire to have some of the art move away from classic D&D themes and styles, not that tradition is bad, but a good mix would be very cool.

The Pics are behind the tag:
A really cool Diva.
A Frog Riding Warrior.
A nicely rendered armored centaur.
One very fascinating Deity and/or Villain.
An anime-ish naga.
An orc Shaman.
A Dark, almost goth warrior.
A Tribal Shaman, druid or mage.
An African warrior with companion.

Show

A Frog riding Warrior:

Nice, but you forgot to put the brackets on the closing sblock
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Fixed.  Smile
Fixed. 

Cool.

I like almost all of them. The flute player with the child is a little too cartoony for me, but I would still buy books if it had that art in it...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Fixed. 

Cool.

I like almost all of them. The flute player with the child is a little too cartoony for me, but I would still buy books if it had that art in it...

Yeah, that is why I picked it because it was very cartoony.  I just love the feel it gives, and I think I am not alone in liking anime type stuff as well as the more realistic and gritty styles.

My personal fave of all those is the red goat-god thing.  That picture just so rocks (Imho).
Those awful-but-awesome comics from 1E's DMG need to be reused.

Those awful-but-awesome comics from 1E's DMG need to be reused.

I agree, those made reading the rule book a lot more fun.  If they don't want to redo the old ones, then they should come up with some new ones if they can get the humor right.

I think some levity would be a nice addition to the art.

Because it cheaper for them to re-use art and you know they are going to, so throw some pictures up you like so they know which ones they should re-use...

Whatever the cost savings of that we customers won't be seeing it....

As for re-used art I'd like to see?  
------> That (pointing to any work by Elmore & Caldwell)  I'm not picky, just put some of those guys stuff in. 
any work by Elmore & Caldwell

I'll second that.

My all time favorite D&D related picture is Elmore's "Death of Sturm."

larryelmore.com/death-of-sturm/art

My preference is for no pictures at all.  I reject the idea of a picture being worth a thousand words, or whatever number of words can be fitted into that space.
While I can respect a preference for no pictures, I think that would make for an extremely boring rulebook.

Yes, pictures can take space away from extra information that could have otherwise made it in the book.  Likewise, a picture's subject matter might not match written descriptions in the book and might even clash with what the reader has in his/her mind's eye.

That said, art, when used properly, can create a mood and feel that words simply cannot.  I would wager if D&DN completely omitted art, be it full color, or B&W line art comics like Qmark mentioned above, it would not sell as well as it could.

As a DM, I find showing a picture, from any source, can greatly help a description along.  Some of us are great at converting words we hear and read into mental images; other folks are not so good.  Pictures really help them out.

If an image can't speak 1000 words to you, it is either a bad image, or you just happen to be very verbal oriented.  For me, while a good description can trump a static image, a good image can speak volumes and in a way words cannot.
I don't have nay preffered art per se, but I personally I would find a book with no art whatsoever a little boring. I just hope the art and design for the new edition stay some what consistant.  4E was fairly good about that, 3rd not so much.
Personal opinion...

I like being able to open up a Monster Manual and show the players the picture and say, "The creature in the cave looks like this."  Or open up the Player's Handbook and show the players a picture of a weapon and say, "The guard captain's axe looks like this."

That, and as others have said, a book without art is boring.   

As for my own personal preferences for art, I like the action scenes where heroes and monsters are actively doing things in an interesting environment.  I'm not terribly fond of the "posing" art that just has the character or monster standing there. 

All around helpful simian

I agree with you Crazy_Monkey that action scenes are much better than poses and many cases.  Poses can be exactly what is needed, say to show a character type or illustrate a mood, but action is much better for it not only illustrates but is better at creating mood, interest, story and engaging the viewer.

Here are some action pics (mostly battles) from a variety of sources:

I deliberately didn't pick any from Elmore, Easly and etc., just to showcase other styles and types of art.  Obviously, not all styles would work with each other in the same book (that's what an art director is for).  I simply adore Elmore, Caldwell, Easly and Brom, but I also want to see other art and styles make it into the game as well.

Don't agree with my choices?  That's completely cool.  But don't tell us, show us! Cool
This. I don't even care of the context, i just think it needs to be reused.

This. I don't even care of the context, i just think it needs to be reused.

That one made me chuckle.  Very cool.
I would like to see constance throughout the artwork, an remakes of old school D&D monsters. I know the artists at WotC are great and will do a great job on it.

An Illithid running after a brain golem with a fork, knife and bid? 
Emirikol the Chaotic and A Paladin in Hell
Emirikol the Chaotic and A Paladin in Hell

Black and white art can be very evocative. Certainly sharper and easier to see the details.

Ars Magica had great woodcuts. I also like some of the Old School Renaissance stuff.

Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
As for my own personal preferences for art, I like the action scenes where heroes and monsters are actively doing things in an interesting environment.  I'm not terribly fond of the "posing" art that just has the character or monster standing there. 

I actually prefer the opposite.  My primary use of the art is to say things like, as another poster said, "Here guys, this is what the weapon looks like."  Action shots distort the actual information I want to convey in using the picture.  

I also request more attractive people, especially dudes, in the books.

Yes, there is a lot of sexualized art, but not much of it is actually of attractive people.  That's great, you have a lot of cleavage--now, can we please do something about your face?  

But more than that, give me some dudes that I'd actually want to look like.  My wife can flip through a D&D book and see a dozen chicks in slutty corsets and crap that she'd want to look like.  What do I get?  

Steroid freak.  Old guy.  Dwarf with beard down to his balls.  Steroid Freak.  Horsey Elf Dude.  Steroid Freak.  Robot.  Old Dwarf with beard down to his balls.  Bald guy.  Steroid Freak.

Not cool, guys.  I'd rather look like Simon, the Doctor from Firefly, or Richard Rahl from Legend of the Seeker, than any character played by Arnold Schwartzenegger or a dude with more beard than face.

The only dude in any of the 4e books I have that I'd want to look like was the Half Elf racial picture guy.  He works ok, but is still not ideal.

If they do a horror module book...  Please recycle art from D20 Urban Arcana/Modern (Night Terror, Vampire, Illithid), Heroes of Horror (All of it?), Libris Mortis, the Shadowfell books, and the spookier art from the magazines!  That would make my day!

Plus, if there are D&D splatbooks sampling other cultures for campaign inspiration, art from; Tomoachan, Maztica, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, Mulhorand, Moonshae Islands (Yes, quite a bit of Realmsian references), Heroes of the Feywild, and even some City-States in Dark Sun might work.

Also, art that doesn't delve into cheesecake nonsense would be nice.  I think the game can mature beyond such a concept.  Plus, it wouldn't make parents worry about buying the game for their kids nearly as much.  Also, non super violent artwork would work too.  We're not in the GRIMDARK duuuuude '90s anymore (and yet, Rob Liefeld still draws comics.)  I couldn't find much non-cheesecake art.  Why dooesn't Wizards just hire the artist for Dias Ex Machina's Amethyst RPG?

Edit: Okay, I added the sblocks, but now it's just links.  I fail at internets! 

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Also, art that doesn't delve into cheesecake nonsense would be nice.  I think the game can mature beyond such a concept.  Plus, it wouldn't make parents worry about buying the game for their kids nearly as much.  Also, non super violent artwork would work too.  We're not in the GRIMDARK duuuuude '90s anymore (and yet, Rob Liefeld still draws comics.)  I couldn't find much non-cheesecake art.  Why dooesn't Wizards just hire the artist for Dias Ex Machina's Amethyst RPG?

'cause then he wouldn't do artwork for our next Amethyst book.    ;)
I actually prefer the opposite.  My primary use of the art is to say things like, as another poster said, "Here guys, this is what the weapon looks like."  Action shots distort the actual information I want to convey in using the picture.  

I also request more attractive people, especially dudes, in the books.

The only dude in any of the 4e books I have that I'd want to look like was the Half Elf racial picture guy.  He works ok, but is still not ideal.

No doubt about it. The best looking male character is this half elf:

Mind you, my own elfin male looks like this:

Ardjuna the Ranger 
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
I'll bite.
The one with the hippie looking cleric/druid girl healing the wounded warrior while a giant walks away in the background.
I love everything about that picture. One of the few peices of D&D art I'm not completely embarrassed about liking. It tells a nice story, looks nice and has a fun take on the way a healer might look.
EDIT here it is:
25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1mhc1N2lj1ql...

dead link - but i know exactly what picture you're speaking of and it just so happens to be my favorite of Elmore's considerably awesome collection. the full page of it in the AD&D Complete Priests Handbook

Other pictures I would love to see reproduced:

Tordek vs. Dragon (3rd Ed. PHB)

Elmore's Duel:

Elmore's Demi-Humans (Basic Red Book)

Half-Elf Cleric (4th Ed. PHB)

I also would like to see a return to the grittier more realistic style of weapons / equipment (example from Frostfell 3.5 book - Note these are not realistic weapons but the style in which they are drawn is more realistic to me than the oversized loudly colored ones of 4th)

And lastly, if there will be online tools, I would enjoy seeing character portraits ala' the Baldur's Gate series:
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
Sorry for hijacking thread -- Went back through the WotC archive, plenty more pics below from previous editions (mostly 3.5) that I liked then and would like to see again:

Show

Show

What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
Most of Clyde Caldwells stuff is nice... I am fine if they use some of his art.

www.clydecaldwell.com/pages/gallery.html

The Character Initiative

Every time you abuse the system you enforce limitations.
Every time the system is limited we lose options.
Breaking an RPG is like cheating in a computer game.
As a DM you are the punkbuster of your table.
Dare to say no to abusers.
Make players build characters, not characters out of builds.

I just hope the artwork is good, because I won't be inclined to buy the books if it sucks. No mather how good the system is
If they do a horror module book...  Please recycle art from D20 Urban Arcana/Modern (Night Terror, Vampire, Illithid), Heroes of Horror (All of it?), Libris Mortis, the Shadowfell books, and the spookier art from the magazines!  That would make my day!

Plus, if there are D&D splatbooks sampling other cultures for campaign inspiration, art from; Tomoachan, Maztica, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, Mulhorand, Moonshae Islands (Yes, quite a bit of Realmsian references), Heroes of the Feywild, and even some City-States in Dark Sun might work.

Can you please sblock your pics in this post as it messes up the formatting of the thread page, thanks. For instructions look at the first post...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
I like all the art that's been posted here, including the cartoon.  I hope there is a good mix, and a lot of it.  I agree with those who like some pictures of monsters and weapons so you can say to players - "it's one of these", if you want to.  I would also like some more inspirational and imaginative artwork - for instance I like the ranger with sticks in her hair.  It reminds me of some of the art from DFC / Phoenix comics.  Speaking of which, I think it would be worth contacting them.  They have fabulous artwork, and it is suitable for young and old.

Finally, I hope they will avoid some of the really poor quality art work that they had in the very early books.  I know at the time they couldn't afford better, but these days good art work is much cheaper, and the D&D world is rather bigger, so they ought to be able to source nothing but really professional work.

Their evil must be known....

Also, I still wonder about these...
Show

(For more information, see here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... )

And the looks on these faces are priceless,
Show

(and strangely mature, considering he must have been pushed ~1 second ago...)

But seriously, I'd like primarily, if not only new art. We already have the old pictures, after all. That said, there are some old ones I wouldn't mind seeing again. That cartoon posted from the 1e DMG was great. The 3.x 'schematic'-style pictures at the beginning of each chapter were great as well, and they, or something like them, would fit the theme of a modular edition.

Stylistically, I prefer the a realistic, detail-oriented approach, with some artistic flourish where appropriate, and the pictures that fit that discriptor posted by Kishri have probably been my favorites thusfar. Most of my favorite D&D art comes from the 3.x and 4e eras, which tend to fall in line with that too. I also second jfriant's call for grittier, more realistic weapons. I'd like to see the art both as examples of 'this is what it looks like' as well as 'action scenes', among other things (though the art of the Monster Manuals tends to be my favorite, and most used).

Clyde Caldwell has a very iconic fantasy style, but I just can't shake the feeling of cheese that seems to accompany it. I expect it to go along with a bad movie or novella.

I'm also wary of including radically different styles within the same book. While I encourage different approaches to the game, part of the function of art is to create an atmosphere; in fact, I might argue that that is its primary purpose. But rather than providing many views, a hodgepodge usually just feels like a mess. If it can be pulled off well....
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

actualy like the scetching stle more then the colored in final version 
Anyone OTHER than Wayne Reynolds.

Actually, anyone who doesn't do cartoony pics, period. 

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Love this one:

Show

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Love this one:

Please SBlock all images to keep them from ruining the formatting of the page. Instructions are in the first post...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Love this one:

Please SBlock all images to keep them from ruining the formatting of the page. Instructions are in the first post...

Done.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Sign In to post comments