Chromatic Sphere + Panglacial Wurm Interaction

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
A situation happened recently in a Commander match in which I was confused upon rules-wise.  

One guy play Demonic Tutor, and whilst he was searching for a card he decided to play Panglacial Wurm.  He casted the Wurm using mana from Chromatic Sphere, in which he could draw a card.  However, he moved cards around from his library during the search, so drawing a card from the 'top' wasn't really feasible because he could in essense put whatever card he wanted onto the top.  

What he did instead was shuffle his library, draw a card, then finish searching his library.  It isn't perfect, as it would wrongfully trigger Cosi's Trickster, but it was probably the best situation at the time.

I glanced throught the comp rules, and didn't find anything on the issue, so I'm curious what would be the correct way of doing it. 
A situation happened recently in a Commander match in which I was confused upon rules-wise.  

One guy play Demonic Tutor, and whilst he was searching for a card he decided to play Panglacial Wurm.  He casted the Wurm using mana from Chromatic Sphere, in which he could draw a card.  However, he moved cards around from his library during the search, so drawing a card from the 'top' wasn't really feasible because he could in essense put whatever card he wanted onto the top.  

What he did instead was shuffle his library, draw a card, then finish searching his library.  It isn't perfect, as it would wrongfully trigger Cosi's Trickster, but it was probably the best situation at the time.

I glanced throught the comp rules, and didn't find anything on the issue, so I'm curious what would be the correct way of doing it. 

From the Wurm's rulings:

7/15/2006 While searching your library, you must keep your library in the same order until you shuffle it. This order could matter if you tap Millikin for mana, for example, to pay for a Panglacial Wurm you cast from your library.

That player did wrong with reordering the library cards. Searching must keep the card in the same order. They are only changed with the shuffling later.

The comp. rules won't tell you what to do when a player makes such a mistake. This goes into tournament rules (penalities and such) instead - I'll let someone who knows this better to answer.

[<o>]
Not that EDH is typically a sanctioned format (around these parts anyway), but I believe that would fall under Game Play Error - Game Rule Violation, unless it is determined that it was intentional (which seems extremely likely imho) in which case its Cheating - Fraud.

I mean, I could maybe see actually choosing to run Panglacial Wurm in EDH, but running it with Chromatic Sphere (or Millikin) AND not just using it to cast the Tutor AND then using it to cast the Wurm AFTER changing the top card of his deck kinda screams at me that that guy is trolling.
Not that EDH is typically a sanctioned format (around these parts anyway), but I believe that would fall under Game Play Error - Game Rule Violation, unless it is determined that it was intentional (which seems extremely likely imho) in which case its Cheating - Fraud.

Actually, if it was intentional it'd be Manipulation of Game Materials, not Fraud.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Sign In to post comments