Mono-Green Deck needs some serious adjustment

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK so this deck originally started out as something fun based around the fight mechanic.  Well it ended up not being that good but I do like the basis of the deck.  So here is how it stands right now.

23 Forest
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Llanowar Elves
3 Ulvenwald Tracker
4 Strangleroot Geist
4 Dungrove Elder
4 Wolfir Avenger
3 Preadtor Ooze
2 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Bellowing Tanglewurm
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Prey Upon
1 Batterskull

Right now the main changes I'm wanting to make are the following

-4 Prey Upon +4 Revenge of the Hunted
-3 Predator Ooze  +2 Phyrexian Metamorph +1 Forest
-1 Ulvenwald Tracker +1 Llanowar Elf

I was wondering if the forum had any other tips?

I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
4x beast within
4x ratchet bomb
+1 acidic slime
+3 forest
+3 vir emissary
main board

-4 prey
-3 elves
-1 gsz
-3 avenger
-4 bird

when  i go mono green i rely on my elders/thrun/ooze to do the beat down with impunity vs spot removal
i think ill keep my one mana accelerants
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
White offers vastly better options for low cost creatures.
Delver or red decks offer much better support for your low cost creatures(which have evasion).
And black offers much more resilience + spot removal and indirect damage.
The only benefit green has is growing  tough to kill creatures and mana accel into major fatties. You arent utilizing any real fatties, and your dungrove is going to be seriously underweight with only 23 forests and no land grabbers. Your deck is just plain inferior to every other color in its current state imo.
All non aggro decks(and some aggro) often play with board sweeps as well, a sweep vs your deck is going to leave you with like 2 land and 0 cards in hand. Might as well be an instant win for your competition. Its the price you pay for using mana producing creatures.
It looks like right now you are focused more on the removal of your opponents creatures than the protection of your win conditions.

What is this deck's plan vs. control? Terminus and Devestation tide are very real threats for you, and aside from punching them in the face, you don't have any way to reliably interact with those strategies. Actually, you can't really interact with non-creature strategies (or hexproof creatures) at all.

If you are going to keep dungrove elder, then you need to alter your mana accelerants. Things like Viridian emmissary, rampant growth and borderland ranger will give you more bang for your tree-folk buck and synergize better with Tracker/Prey Upon. Mana dorks are fragile, and bad fight targets, since you are kind of timewalking yourself if you have to use one.

Finally (and this is a personal opinion), I would keep some sort of surprise blockers handy, like ambush viper, to handle threats like GoST. Deathtouch creatures also make excellent fighters. 
- 2 tracker
+1 llanowar elves
+1 avacyn's pilgrim

seriously, you need a turn 1 mana dork for this deck to be good, since all your true threats are on 3 mana.  you only need 1 tracker since you can zenith it out.  run a second in the board, if you must.     personally, i like dismember more than prey upon, since dismember is more consistent.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

the prey upons are definitely coming out, i thought they would be fun and cute...well they werent haha. 
run swords?  war and peace and then maybe feast and famine?  i hear that body and mind isn't bad either here.

i like running some garruks too, they have you a lot of late game and inevitability, while also being an important tool against control decks since DOJ basically singlehandedly beats this deck.  same with thrun.  thrun is pretty good in this deck, from what i've seen with my build.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

2    Phyrexian Metamorph
4    Rampant Growth
4    Viridian Emissary
2    Dawntreader Elk
21    Forest
2    Solemn Simulacrum
2    Mimic Vat