Introducing gunpowder (or equivilant)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there any 4th edition rules for firearms? I want to build a setting with a slightly higher level of technology so PCs have access to flintlock style guns and cannons. I know the d20 Modern system has stats and rules for guns, but its more 3.5 and I'm not sure how well it merges with 4th edition D&D. Also the stats for guns in d20 Modern are pretty bland with only one or two minor variations between guns. I'd really think guns in a world of magic and alchemy should be a bit more stylish and unique.

Another problem I foresee is a lack of gunner classes in 4th edition. I suppose normal range based classes (like the archer ranger) could double as gunners, but it would be nice to have a class built for sharpshooting or something. Does anyone know of such a thing for 4th edition? Where might be a good place to start looking?

Constructive suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

This is some big homebrewing! There are no official rules, but I would start by just reflavouring a lot of the ranged stuff that needs to be loaded
I toyed around with this a bit in an Eberron campaign using the Gamma World rules. Basically, I made them encounter powers that attacked Reflex. "Smaller" guns were based off Dex/Int and had less damage and higher proficiency bonus. "Larger" guns were based off Str/Con and had higher damage, but less proficiency bonus.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I'm not too familiar with the 4th ed rules but I do know a bit about early firearms so if you want to add a bit more variation you could add the following modifiers to weapons.

Matchlock - Gun is fired by a burning piece of slowmatch. A full round action must be used to light the slowmatch before the gun can be fired. A piece of slow match lasts for approximately ten minutes or one encounter before it must be replaced.

Tension-spring - The gun is fired be striking pyrities stone against steel be means of a tension spring. Every 1d4 shots a move action must be used to re-tension the spring.

Flintlock - The gun has a flintlock, a swift action is needed to **** it before each shot.

To add a little extra spice you could add in:

Magic-lock - The gun's firing mechanism is magical and no cocking or priming is necessary.

From a modifications perspective:

Heavy Bore - This gun counts as an exotic weapon and fires a heavier than normal bullet. It's damage dice are increased as though it were a weapon one size larger.
Snub-nosed - This gun is snub nosed and can be drawn as a swift action as long as it is carried ready at hand. Shots at greater than 30 ft take a -1 penalty due to decreased accuracy however.
Long-barrelled - This gun has a longer than normal barrel and all range increment penalties are reduced by 1 however it requires a standard action rather than a move action to draw due to its unwieldy nature.
Double-barrelled - This gun can be fired twice with a single attack but takes twice as long to load. It also takes a -2 penalty on all attacks due to the extra weight.

From a magical or alchemy standpoint you could really go nuts:
Fire-rounds - these rounds are small spheres of alchemist's fire that explode on impact dealing an additional 1d6 fire damage. 20gp each.
Web pellet - These rounds explode on impact to cover a 10ft square in a sticky black substance as per a tanglefoot bag.
Frostbreath - This gun is enchanted with a spirit of cold and deals an additional 1d6 cold damage per hit.

Just a few off the top of my head. I hope they inspire you. If you would like more I can dig out some of my reference material and come up with some others.
One of my players has been asking about this.  I want to let him have his gun, but not have it be so good that everyone else wants one.

My first thought was to make it a superior weapon (i.e., proficiency feat needed to use it, right?) with a low prof bonus and a non-minor reload.  I think that using a d20 for damage would be pretty dramatic.  Does that sound vaguely reasonable?  Should it be load move or load standard?
Just reflavor existing ranged powers, magic weapons, or alchemical items. Done, and balanced.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

The simpliest solution is to reflavor existing weapons.  Crossbows translate extremely easily into guns, though you can do the same with any ranged weapon.

Though personally, I addressed this problem by homebrewing my own set of coilgun-flavored firearms and balancing them against existing ranged weapons.  I also added a few feats and a wildwest-flavored gunslinger theme.  And finally, for schizo tech support, I made firearm-specific enchantments to cover modern and futuristic weaponry, such as grenade launchers, plasma rifles, and even portal guns.  I'm still tweaking stuff, but so far it's been working out for our group.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Just reflavor existing ranged powers, magic weapons, or alchemical items. Done, and balanced.

This is exactly what I did.  I gave my Ranger a dwarven-made shotgun.  So I took Staggering Blow, the 9th level fighter attack power, gave it a range of 5/10 with no proficiency bonus, and gave it to him as the daily power of a magic item.  I told him that it's a daily because he's not trained, so can't reload it during a short rest.

However, it sounds like you want something a little more structural so you can have a lot of them in your game.  But I do think it's still as easy as handing out magic items.

When I think of what a gun should do, I think of push and dazed effects.  It think that approach is simple and elegant enough.  Figure out whatever damage you think it should do using magic item level as your frame of reference, and include pushes and daze effects for flavor.  Alternatively slowed and weakened seem like good effects to represent what guns can do.

If it's a spread gun, like a shotgun, then have it be something that deals half damage on a miss.

Beyond that, it's really just a custom magic item with and encounter/daily power.  That's all.
Sleeping with interns on Colonial 1
Wow...

Honestly it seems so obvious to me now I'm not sure how I didn't get a black eye while stumbling about for it. Simple, elegant, and fitting given I have plans for what I'm calling an Aetherlock gun, essentialy a magical/alchemical gun that uses aether (my worlds equivilant of gunpowder).

Magic items. Duh... 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

Wow...

Honestly it seems so obvious to me now I'm not sure how I didn't get a black eye while stumbling about for it. Simple, elegant, and fitting given I have plans for what I'm calling an Aetherlock gun, essentialy a magical/alchemical gun that uses aether (my worlds equivilant of gunpowder).

Magic items. Duh... 

THE STEAM KOLBEN
Crafting: Misc Magic item - Spell - Heat Metal.

Weapon must be loaded with water and shot and the heat metal turns the water to steam propelling the shot to the target.

Light Kolben (5'/10'/15') -single handed weapon; Ammunition Base Damage 1d4
Heavy Kolben (20'/40'/60') - two handed weapon Ammunition Base Damage 1d12
Ammunition: Enchantable (with bonuses to Damage and Hit and other spell effects).

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Early firearms are best treated as encounter powers. Until fairly recently, guns were just not very useful in a pitched melee. Even WWII saw the occasional bayonet charge (very rare though). In a world with guns, certain PCs might have one they keep ready to go for making a snap shot, others might have one they keep around for hunting or for sharpshooting. All these uses make more sense as an encounter power (reloaded in rest) or as a bonus to survival checks, or letting a player attempt a headshot outside a round structure, etc.

Enemies who use guns could be very dangerous though. Typically they would fire a volley at the party, then pull out melee weapons and charge. Bows are for the most part superior to guns, but require much more skill to handle. Also, consider using cannon to make things real interesting. Enemies might point a cannon loaded with canister shot at a door the PCs are going through. They probably won't like what happens when they try and go through that door.

I think translating guns as weapons is a poor idea, because it is neither historically accurate nor that interesting in play. In reality, guns were used not because they were better than other ranged weapons, but because they were much easier to use and more deadly in big, massed volleys. A longbow is a more threatening weapon, capable of hitting just as hard if not harder and can be fired far faster. But very few people could use longbows effectively, whereas anyone with a few days of training can point a gun and fire it. PCs shouldn't be relying on a gun as their main weapon, because it simply makes no sense. Now keeping a pistol loaded for a badass snap shot, that is a cool way for a PC to use a gun. 
"So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been." - Manwë, High King of the Valar
Sign In to post comments